PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni is an enigma

purplefrog
03-03-2007, 10:51 AM
From time to time various members have commented on D'Antoni's tendency to play a very short bench. If you read the boxscore from last night's game (PHX 105- IND 90) you find that what always a questionable practice now borders on the absurd. The box shows that Coach D'Antoni played only 8 players in this blowout victory. While he did rest some of his starters (Stoudamire logged 35 minutes, but most of the other starters + Barbosa were in the low 30s and Bell put in 27) PHX only played Barbosa, Burke, and Piatkowski off the bench. I know that Diaw is hurt, but where are Jumaine Jones, Jalen Rose and Marcus Banks? These are experienced players that get very few minutes per game and don't typically even see the court. Wouldn't you would think that in a blowout like this everyone would get at least a little playing time, especially veteran players? The point of all this is that I question if D'Antoni really understands how to make substitutions. Maybe this is stating the obvious but with some out there touting the greatness of the Suns- the enigma of D'Antoni as a coach is an interesting story. He breaks all convention with his style of play, substitution patterns, and personnel. Is he a genius or a wacko?

LRB
03-03-2007, 11:09 AM
D'Antoni = Most Overated Coach In Professional Sports

capitalcity
03-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Dan Tony is an enema.

chumdawg
03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Their style has "eight starters." The three bench guys get starter minutes, which means they don't really need any more rotation players than that. It's a little unusual, I guess, but I don't see anything weird about it. Playing in the low-30's isn't going to wear any NBA player out.

Plus, I wouldn't call 105-90 a blowout.

Xylus
03-03-2007, 02:02 PM
It wasn't a complete blowout, but the lead was safe enough to give Banks, Rose, and Jumaine some playing time at the end of the game.

Regardless of whether the Suns are winning or losing, no one on the team other than maybe Shawn Marion should be playing more than 36 minutes a game. The only time I think it's acceptable is if we're playing San Antonio or Dallas, otherwise sacrificing a game or two in order to prevent fatigue is important.

dirno2000
03-03-2007, 02:06 PM
It really is unusual to see and NBA coach ride his players the way Dan Tony does. In Feb. Raja averaged 38 minutes, Marion averaged 40 minutes and Amare and averaged 41 minutes. Amare played at least 45 minutes on 3 ocassions, Bell on 2 and Marion on one.

He has capable players on the bench (We could have used Jermaine Jones over the last week). Guess he doesn't trust them.

purplefrog
03-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Their style has "eight starters." The three bench guys get starter minutes, which means they don't really need any more rotation players than that. It's a little unusual, I guess, but I don't see anything weird about it. Playing in the low-30's isn't going to wear any NBA player out.

Plus, I wouldn't call 105-90 a blowout.

My bad. The score was 115-90.

DevinHarriswillstart
03-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Run your players to death, take every open shot, depend too much on one person.

Brilliant.