PDA

View Full Version : I miss Nellie...

raefformvp
03-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Nelson T plus three late FTs give Wiz wild win

WASHINGTON -- Don Nelson lost his cool, and Gilbert Arenas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3540) kept his.

Down by two with one-tenth of a second remaining, Arenas capitalized on a personal foul and technical foul called against the Golden State Warriors (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=gsw) coach by making three free throws to give Washington a wild 107-106 victory.

"It was bizarre," Arenas said. "You've got to thank the refs for that one."

Washington trailed 106-104 with 2.9 seconds to play when Arenas caught an inbounds pass near the top of the key and drove to the basket. The horn sounded before Arenas released a shot, but the officials ruled that Golden State's Mickael Pietrus (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3714) fouled Arenas with a fraction of a second left on the clock.

Nelson stormed onto the court to argue the call and was issued a technical, and Arenas was awarded three free throws.

With the crowd on its feet, Arenas nailed the first two free throws before Golden State called a timeout. He then calmly returned to the line and sank the third.

"Gilbert has ice water in his veins, and he knocked them down," Washington coach Eddie Jordan said. "It was a very strange ending."

The Warriors struggled to stomach the technical foul call that gave Arenas the chance to score the decisive point.

"It's just unfortunate that the refs made a very, very, very bad call," Al Harrington (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3268) said. "I don't know if I'm going to get fined for that, but that was just an awful call. Pretty much I really don't mind the (personal) foul, because if it's a foul and he makes two free throws, we're playing an extra five minutes. But the technical was just ridiculous because now you just take the game completely away from us."

Why, specifically, Nelson was called for the technical was up for debate after the game. Nelson said the refs told him he was whistled for being out on the court. Several Wizards, however, said they heard Nelson use profanity when addressing the officials

"If you call somebody an idiot, you got to give a technical for that one," Arenas said. "And there was something before that last word was used."

"Eddie was on the floor, as well," Nelson said, referring to the Wizards coach. "If they give me one, they have to give him one.

"It's unfortunate a game has to end that way, but I think the league will be very disappointed in this game the way it ended when they review the plays," he added. "Really, that's all I have to say about it."

Arenas burned his old team and led Washington to its second-straight win with a game-high 32 points. He had gone a season-high two straight games without scoring 20 or more, but he seemed to regain his stroke with Caron Butler (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3608) and Antawn Jamison (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3247) attracting some of Golden State's attention on the offensive end.

Butler (back) and Jamison (knee) returned to the lineup in Friday's win over Atlanta after missing three and 12 games, respectively. Washington lost all three games without Butler and was 4-8 without Jamison, but their contributions were crucial in handing the Warriors their season-high sixth straight loss.

Jamison scored 18 points and Butler scored 20. None was more important than Butler's dunk with 48 seconds remaining, which tied the game at 102-102.

The score was tied 104-104 with less than 30 seconds to play when Jason Richardson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3515) missed a jumper and Andris Biedrins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3828) tipped the rebound out to Al Harrington in front of the Wizards' bench. Harrington drove and was fouled by Butler with 2.9 seconds remaining. He made both free throws, setting the stage for Arenas' heroics.

Arenas finished 9-of-19 from the floor and was perfect on 12 free throws. His poise in the final second impressed even the disappointed Warriors.

"He's confident. I love seeing that, you know what I'm saying?" Harrington said. "He just knew he was going to make his free throws. They didn't touch no rim, bottom of the net, so he did what he was supposed to do."

dude1394
03-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Just flat out lost his composure and it appears a game.

Dirkadirkastan
03-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Wasn't Nellie thrown out of one of those playoff games against Portland? Or am I making this up?

MFFL
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Wasn't Nellie thrown out of one of those playoff games against Portland? Or am I making this up?

He got three technicals in the series but never two in one game.

Murphy3
03-04-2007, 09:24 PM
What an idiotic move by Nelson.. regardless of how bad the call was, you can't pick up a T in that situation..

When you said "I miss Nellie", I thought you were talking about the fat lady from Gimme a Break.... Nell Carter...

Rhylan
03-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Remember when Nellie drop kicked the ball in that game against Miami?

Sure, going to the Finals is great and all, but I'll never forget that kick.

capitalcity
03-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Getting tossed/ill-timed tech is so 2002.

chiliwili
03-05-2007, 12:43 AM
I am so glad that old drunkard is long gone.

chumdawg
03-05-2007, 12:48 AM
The Warriors got jobbed, not just once but twice.

If you are a referee and you are a fu*king idiot, does it really warrant a technical foul when someone points out to you that you are a fu*cking idiot?

Dirkadirkastan
03-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Nellie and Chummy think alike.

dude1394
03-05-2007, 12:53 AM
It looked like a foul to me. I thought he bodied him pretty good. If I could see it, it should be called.

Nellie just lost his cool (like someone's owner did last year) and it cost 'em.

chumdawg
03-05-2007, 01:11 AM
The question was not whether it was a foul or not. The question was whether the foul occured before or after the clock ran out.

Dude, are you talking about a play on Gilbert before the charge/block contact? If so, fair enough. But when Arenas draws contact after the time runs out, I can't see why he should have been rewarded with free throws. Why did Arenas let the clock get so low? Why didn't he just pull up from 30 feet and save everyone the drama?

I'm sure Nellie wants that techinical foul back, but he's right that the league should be embarrassed by that finish. The foul free throws were bad enough, but a ref has to have to have some thick skin in that situation. You don't issue technicals that will decide a game.

Quick, run your memory banks and tell me the last time you've seen that. I'm going to walk out on a very broad limb and say that you have NEVER seen it.

Flacolaco
03-05-2007, 01:13 AM
I couldnt believe this when I saw the highlights this morning

That is the strangest thing I've seen in a while.

I'm going to find a way to blame stern....

Dirkadirkastan
03-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Is there a link where we can see the replay?

nashtymavsfan13
03-05-2007, 01:35 AM
The question was not whether it was a foul or not. The question was whether the foul occured before or after the clock ran out.

Dude, are you talking about a play on Gilbert before the charge/block contact? If so, fair enough. But when Arenas draws contact after the time runs out, I can't see why he should have been rewarded with free throws. Why did Arenas let the clock get so low? Why didn't he just pull up from 30 feet and save everyone the drama?

I'm sure Nellie wants that techinical foul back, but he's right that the league should be embarrassed by that finish. The foul free throws were bad enough, but a ref has to have to have some thick skin in that situation. You don't issue technicals that will decide a game.

Quick, run your memory banks and tell me the last time you've seen that. I'm going to walk out on a very broad limb and say that you have NEVER seen it.

I definetly agree with you on this one, you're spot on. This was not Nellie's fault, yes he did lose his cool, but the ref should not call a T that decides the game, and plus the call was wrong in the first place. The Warriors really did get jobbed on this one.

LRB
03-05-2007, 03:40 AM
Nellie should have known better than to have lost his cool in that situation. He let his team down and definitely didn't earn his pay for that game. That said, NBA refs and the current system of assessing technicals is ludicrous. Players should decide games not refs. NBA refs are far too thin skinned and they are sheltered far too much by the NBA front office. There needs to be major changes made to the NBA officiating system. There needs to be more transparency in the accountability of refs for the lousy performances. And there needs to be less babying of the refs. The refs are paid far too much not to be able to take a few harsh words without losing it.

EricaLubarsky
03-05-2007, 04:31 AM
I'd say Nellie was right, but honestly there isnt anyone with the exception of D'antoni that whines as much as Nelson does. Honestly 50% of all that he does as a coach is try to tip the referees favor. In that way he's more of a lawyer than a coach. Players see it and like that he's advocating for them, but it also seems like that is why he loses his teams. Its hard to believe in someone that has as much leadership as George Karl.

Anyway, you whine after 15-20 plays in a 48 minute game and when the refs really do miss a call they will be all the more sensitive to you calling them out. Thats why I love Avery-- he's one of the top 10 coaches at not yelling at refs. He has the technical as a tool but he doesnt try to change the game from beginning to end with complaints.

ty
03-05-2007, 06:16 AM
What Nellie should have done is put on his red Shaquille O'Neal clown nose. =/

shaw-xx
03-05-2007, 09:48 AM
The old pal cost them the game.

dude1394
03-05-2007, 09:55 AM

It appeared to me that on the last play of the game that Arenas was fouled before he shot the ball, i.e. the whistle blew before time ran out. So the foul was within the game? What do you do, the foul was called and they were in the bonus.

The only question is whether it was blown with/without time on the clock. It would have only tied the game and nellie lost his cool? In this case the coach messed up.

How much leeway does nelson get. As arenas said, how many f-bombs does nellie get to throw before he gets a technical?

dude1394
03-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Is there a link where we can see the replay?

I saw it on nba.com, but they unfortunately didn't slow it down. But imo it appeared to be a foul as he was body'd pretty good as he went up, certainly wasn't an obvious no-call.

dude1394
03-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Nellie should have known better than to have lost his cool in that situation. He let his team down and definitely didn't earn his pay for that game. That said, NBA refs and the current system of assessing technicals is ludicrous. Players should decide games not refs. NBA refs are far too thin skinned and they are sheltered far too much by the NBA front office. There needs to be major changes made to the NBA officiating system. There needs to be more transparency in the accountability of refs for the lousy performances. And there needs to be less babying of the refs. The refs are paid far too much not to be able to take a few harsh words without losing it.

THIS I can agree with. If my posts are making it seem like I think refs are correct in throwing technicals around left and right, that is not true and not my intent.

I am not in favor of giving refs more control over the game. I just want them to call a foul IF the actually see it. If not don't.

raefformvp
03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Remember when Nellie drop kicked the ball in that game against Miami?

Sure, going to the Finals is great and all, but I'll never forget that kick.

that was definitely good for a giggle. I still have my 2002-2003 highlight dvd that Cuban sent the season ticket holders after that season. that drop kick is included in the highlights. makes me giggle every time!

I agree that refs should not decide the game. but, as the head coach, you have to realize the position you are in and keep your composure right there. whine all you want after the game is decided, but don't put your team in a position to lose like that. bad coaching.

Stranger
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Nellie messed up, but I hate to see a game decided like this. I caught the end of the Knicks-Bucks game last week, and the end was complete BS. Marbury misses a buzzer-beater and the game is headed to overtime. Then the refs review tape, and assess a LOOSE-BALL FOUL away from the play in the struggle for a rebound. They put half a second back on the clock and give Channing Frye free-throws to win it. Absolute garbage.

alexamenos
03-05-2007, 12:11 PM
How much leeway does nelson get. As arenas said, how many f-bombs does nellie get to throw before he gets a technical?

spot on...refs shouldn't be responsible for dramatically changing the way they call a game when the clock winds under ten seconds. It's inexcusable for a coach to earn a T in this situation.

period........

Thespiralgoeson
03-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Nellie may have lost his cool, but he definitely has a legitimate grievance here. The Warriors were flat-out robbed.

LRB
03-06-2007, 01:54 AM
THIS I can agree with. If my posts are making it seem like I think refs are correct in throwing technicals around left and right, that is not true and not my intent.

I am not in favor of giving refs more control over the game. I just want them to call a foul IF the actually see it. If not don't.

I wasn't commenting on your posts Dude, which I pretty much agree with. This is like the situation with the refs and Diva in the finals last June. It's a total disgrace and the NBA should change it. But Neither Nellie, nor cubes, nor the Mavs can make Herr Stern make changes to the refs. So what you have to do is find ways to win despite the inepitude of the NBA zebra core. I think Avery has done a fantastic job of drilling that into the Mavs. Nellie's little blowup the other night is about as piss poor a job as I've seen in a long time.

I truely think that until David Stern dies, retires, or is outed by a coo, no changes significant changes will be made to the NBA's version of the 3 stooges.

kriD
03-06-2007, 06:55 AM
NBA exec defends referees in controversy

Geoff Lepper
MediaNews

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - After the Warriors' wildly improbable 107-106 loss Sunday in Washington, Coach Don Nelson said he thought the league would be ``very disappointed'' with how the game ended: Gilbert Arenas being accorded three free throws -- one for a technical foul on Nelson -- after the final buzzer originally sounded.

Then again, maybe not.

``No, I'm not disappointed,'' Stu Jackson, NBA executive vice president of basketball operations, said Monday in a phone interview.

Instead, Jackson defended the work of referee Tony Brothers, who called Mickael Pietrus for a shooting foul as time expired. Nelson and the Warriors maintained Monday that because Arenas still had the ball in his hands when the final buzzer sounded, there was no way Pietrus could be charged with a shooting foul, since no legal shot was taken.

But Jackson said Nelson's interpretation was incorrect.

``Upon instant-replay review, it was determined contact (between Arenas and Pietrus) occurred with one-tenth of one second,'' Jackson said. Whether Arenas launched the ball before the buzzer is ``irrelevant.''

As for the technical doled out to Nelson by Derrick Stafford, the coach reiterated his denial of using an expletive while discussing the first call with Brothers, something a Washington reporter and multiple Wizards said took place.

``There was no swearing at all on the floor,'' Nelson said. ``What I did say was, `Tony, are you kidding me?' End of quote. No superlatives.''

Dirkadirkastan
03-06-2007, 07:01 AM
NBA exec defends referees in controversy

How is this news?

The Crippler
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Not defending Nelson, but one thing I have noticed about Tony Brothers is his seemingly dislike for the white man...

Watch how few calls Nowitzki gets next time he's reffing one of the Mavs games.