PDA

View Full Version : Mavs reportedly turn DOWN Reggie Miller...

Dirkenstien
03-05-2007, 09:43 AM
According to New York Daily News Reggie wants to come back for a chance at a ring but the Mavs have turned him down.

Reggie Miller on returning-
"I would trade all of the 25,000 points I scored and all of my fourth-quarter heroics for a ring," Miller said. "You are judged by wins and losses, but the ring defines you. Personally, I was never able to get it done. That has left me with an empty feeling in my stomach."

Link: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/45002/20070305/reggie_still_wants_a_ring/

Personally, I don't understand why we would turn him down. I think signing a guy with his proffesionalism and demeanor is a no brainer and can only benefit the team and locker room.

Flacolaco
03-05-2007, 10:15 AM
maybe he and Scotty can go play in the D-league somewhere....

TheBlueVan
03-05-2007, 10:26 AM
i would have liked to see him in a mavs jersey

thats disappointing, what are we gonna do with that last spot?

ty
03-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I think Avery wants somebody that can earn that final spot. Right now, all Reggie is to him is a freelancer. Sure, he's proven himself in the past, but 1+ years can do a load on your game...

chumdawg
03-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Listening to Reggie today on the Dan Patrick show, it sounds like he wants to play. He talked around it a lot, but given the opportunity to do so he still would not rule it out. Said the Mavericks haven't contacted him. Sounded like he was concerned about the appearance of "chasing a ring" and that any overtures would have to come from Dallas, not from him.

He also said he would be interested in playing for the Olympic team. And oh yeah, he also said nobody is going to beat the Mavericks this year.

Bottom line, I got the impression that the Mavs could have him if they wanted him.

Dortmund
03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Would he be able to play in the playoffs? I thought the playoff deadline was march 1st. If in fact it really passed... there is no point in signing him

Dirkenstien
03-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Sounded like he was concerned about the appearance of "chasing a ring" and that any overtures would have to come from Dallas, not from him.

I don't see what's so bad about chasing a ring. Every NBA player wants one and I believe that if a player's career is near an end or at an end, then they have the right to go to an environment where they have a better, if not great chance, at accomplishing that goal

The only thing I don't condone is if a player played with one team for the majority of his entire career and then went to their rival team...that's just low and classless.

AxdemxO
03-05-2007, 03:43 PM
As much as I would like to have either guy I dont think its fair to the rest of the guys that are on the team. IMO we should not pick up anyone, because then they get a free ride to the championship while all the guys already here gave worked their ass off. So NO to Miller, NO to Pippen, keep the team the way they are and let the guys get the benefit of their hard work, they dont need any help and no one should just get a free ride to a title. Thats why I lost a lot of respect for Malone and Payton when they went to LA just to get a title.

jthig32
03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Would he be able to play in the playoffs? I thought the playoff deadline was march 1st. If in fact it really passed... there is no point in signing him

I believe that's the deadline for players that have been on another team's roster this season.

I'm pretty sure you can sign a dude off the street up until the last day of the season and he can play in the playoffs.

nashtymavsfan13
03-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I don't see what the harm is in signing him to a 10-day contract or something. If he doesn't look good, or work hard then we cut him.

LRB
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
I think taking Reggie on is very little risk for the Mavs. He's definitely someone that I have no worries about disrupting the chemistry. If he's the 2nd coming of Rigadon't, then fire his ass and be done with it.

Personally though I don't believe that Reggie is the Mavs or any other team to have. I really think if he wanted to come back, he'd be back. I think it's just wild rumors and will only believe once I see Reggie in a NBA uni again.

EricaLubarsky
03-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I dont know, I think bringing in Reggie would be bringing in a lot more cameras and lights into the lockerroom and that could be a huge distraction.

Dtownsfinest
03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I had no problem with the acquistion but if i'm the Mavs I want little turnover as possible when it comes to this teams roster. Just get everyone healthy and go to war with it. I don't want any excuses when playoffs come around about how we signed Reggie Miller and he took the teams mind off their main goal which is to win a championship.

But I don't understand why guys like Scottie and Reggie want to be a part of a team's championship run and have so little to do with that accomplishment. I mean I know there are greats without rings but honestly I can't really respect a guy for hopping on a team midway through the season so he can get a ring.

LRB
03-06-2007, 12:58 AM
I dont know, I think bringing in Reggie would be bringing in a lot more cameras and lights into the lockerroom and that could be a huge distraction.

I seriously doubt that it would be any distaction for this team. In fact a concentration on Reggie by the idiots in the media could be a very good thing by doing away with the preoccupation on the Mavs regular season kick butt record. We could cruise to 70 wins and the media could be all caught up in Reggie.

But I think the odds are greater that Al Gore will call a press conference to announce that Global Warming is a fraud than we'll see a press conference announcing that Reggie is a Mav.