PDA

View Full Version : NBA may crack down on floppers

mavvy
03-07-2007, 05:36 PM
NBA may crack down on floppers
Wednesday, Mar 7, 2007 12:48 pm EST

Ever attend an NBA game and get the feeling that a European soccer match has broken out? Bodies are flying everywhere these days, and many close to the game feel the players on the floor deserve an Oscar, not help getting up.

"It's absolutely destroying the game with guys just falling down trying to get calls," said Orlando Magic coach Brian Hill on the topic of flopping.

The NBA is considering giving referees the option of whistling players for technical fouls if they deem that a player has flopped in an attempt to get a call. Houston Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy favors fines or suspensions for offenders.

link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/NBA-may-crack-down-on-floppers;_ylt=AlK8RaxKiNUA5Mnmqn_0wPS8vLYF?urn=nba ,25949)

Dirkadirkastan
03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
I think the NBA needs to crack down on refs first before giving them more authority.

SeattleMavsFan
03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
I think the NBA needs to crack down on refs first before giving them more authority.

i agree

i'm all for cracking down on the flops but I think just like anything else, the refs are going to be harder on some more than others...

dude1394
03-07-2007, 08:12 PM
The refs should never call a "flop" in a game. It's either a foul or not. Since the NBA seems to be okay with after the fact penalties, they can call them later.

LRB
03-07-2007, 09:50 PM

I couldn't agree more. The last thing we need is more whistles, especially for technical fouls. I'd like to see the NBA do away with the current rules for calling tech's on players and coaches complaining. The way to inforce this behavior is with fines and suspensions by the NBA.

BTW if the NBA cracks down on NBA floppers does this mean that Diva Wade's career is over?

Underdog
03-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Could this mean the end of Manu Ginobili's career???

At least Wade had the (good?) sense to injure himself to cover up his last flop....

V2M
03-07-2007, 11:16 PM
How 'bout Shaq lately... he's been falling down for nothing, sometimes even taking charges to PGs driving the lane (he flopped and got the call against Daniel Gibson of the Cavs!!). May be some of that Wade effect rubbing off on him...

chumdawg
03-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Look, if we fans can see, on TV, a flop without question, then NBA refs can see it with their own eyes, a few feet from the play. I hate flopping. I think it's a pussified way to play defense. I am ecstatic that there may in the near future be a penalty for doing it.

ty
03-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Watch out Devin...

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Could this mean the end of Manu Ginobili's career???

At least Wade had the (good?) sense to injure himself to cover up his last flop....

Leading 2006-07 NBA Players in drawing Offensive Fouls

Through Feb. 4th
Rank Team Player Off.Fouls
Drawn
1 CLE Varejao 58
2 MIL Bogut 55
3 CHI Nocioni 46
4 DAL Harris 41
5 PHO Bell 41
6 PHO Nash 37
7 IND O'Neal 36
8 HOU Battier 32
9 NJN Collins 28
10 NOK Mason 28
11 GSW Ellis 27
12 GSW Dunleavy 25
13 LAL Parker 25
14 SAC Bibby 25
15 SAC Martin 24
16 CHI Wallace 23
17 MIA Posey 23
18 NJN Moore 23
19 SAS Bowen 23
20 TOR Garbajosa 23
21 CHA Wallace 23
22 CHI Hinrich 22
23 TOR Parker 22
24 UTA Fisher 22
25 NJN Nachbar 21
26 SAS Ginobili 21
27 MIA Haslem 20
28 PHI Iverson 20
29 PHO Barbosa 20
30 ATL Claxton 19

"Taking the Charge" in NBA Basketball

Offensive Fouls Drawn per Minute
Drawn Minutes/
Off.Foul
1 CLE Varejao 32 23.7
2 DAL Armstrong 25 24.9
3 UTA Collins 63 27.4
4 SEA Fortson 10 27.6
5 MIL Smith 29 30.5
6 PHI Randolph 15 32.5
7 CHI Nocioni 67 33.4
8 MIN Madsen 20 33.7
9 MIN Reed 20 35.2
10 CHI Harrington 23 35.8

So last year's champ was Raja Bell (who certainly garnered a lot of attention for his defense during the Lakers-Suns playoff series). It was Andres Nocioni though who was closing fast in the second half of the season, potentially setting up an exciting '06-07 battle? In addition we did note that Anderson Varejao was the leader in "offensive fouls drawn per minute" and could also enter the fray on the "total for the season" stage.

So who are the leaders this season? The envelope please...

Leading 2006-07 NBA Players in drawing Offensive Fouls

Through Feb. 4th
Drawn
1 CLE Varejao 58
2 MIL Bogut 55
3 CHI Nocioni 46
4 DAL Harris 41
5 PHO Bell 41
6 PHO Nash 37
7 IND O'Neal 36
8 HOU Battier 32
9 NJN Collins 28
10 NOK Mason 28
11 GSW Ellis 27
12 GSW Dunleavy 25
13 LAL Parker 25
14 SAC Bibby 25
15 SAC Martin 24
16 CHI Wallace 23
17 MIA Posey 23
18 NJN Moore 23
19 SAS Bowen 23
20 TOR Garbajosa 23
21 CHA Wallace 23
22 CHI Hinrich 22
23 TOR Parker 22
24 UTA Fisher 22
25 NJN Nachbar 21
26 SAS Ginobili 21
27 MIA Haslem 20
28 PHI Iverson 20
29 PHO Barbosa 20
30 ATL Claxton 19

So it's Varejao the "per minute" champ of 05-06 who is currently sitting on top, and while we won't count out Bell and Nocioni just yet, it's actually last year's number three charge taker Andrew Bogut who looks to be offering the strongest competition.
It's interesting to see how consistent many of the players are, and indeed five of the current top ten were in the top ten last year (actually six if we count Dunleavy who with four fouls drawn already for the Pacers is #9 all told).

Likewise Iverson has 31 total offensive fouls drawn between his two teams this season, good for 9th (and he missed a bunch of games!)

The leaders are fairly evenly distributed across the five positions, although there are more of those speedy point guard types who get in front of a driving player than any other 'type' in this pack.

Now we often get requests for "flop" stats and we're working on something to that end. Certainly some of the players represented here are, ahem, guilty of a little acting now and then, and do sometimes choose the "fall to the ground" defense over trying to actually contest a shot. Still, let's not fault the masters of the trade for being successful.

Team by Team Leaders in drawing Offensive Fouls

Team Off.Fouls
Drawn Off.Fouls
Committed Net
Off.Foul Top Three in drawing the Offensive Foul

Phoenix 166 102 +64 Bell 41 - Nash 37 - Barbosa 20
Chicago 154 115 +39 Nocioni 46 - Wallace 23 - Hinrich 22
New Jersey 139 96 +43 Collins 28 - Moore 23 - Nachbar 21
Indiana 135 109 +26 O'Neal 36 - Daniels 17 - Armstrong 16
Utah 130 110 +20 Fisher 22 - Williams 19 - Collins 18
Toronto 129 93 +36 Garbajosa 23 - Parker 22 - Bargnani 17
Milwaukee 126 100 +26 Bogut 55 - Ilyasova 16 - Williams 15
Miami 125 110 +15 Posey 23 - Haslem 20 - Walker 17
Golden State 122 79 +43 Ellis 27 - Dunleavy 25 - Davis 16
Philadelphia 118 93 +25 Iverson 20 - Korver 15 - Joe.Smith 14
Cleveland 117 97 +20 Varejao 58 - James 14 - Snow 13
Memphis 116 114 +2 D.Jones 17 - Warrick 14 - Atkins 13
Denver 115 110 +5 Evans 19 - Najera 17 - Camby 16
Dallas 113 94 +19 Harris 41 - Howard 17 - Terry 14
San Antonio 111 92 +19 Bowen 23 - Ginobili 21 - Oberto 19
Sacramento 102 101 +1 Bibby 25 - Martin 24 - Williamson 13
Atlanta 100 119 -19 Claxton 19 - Lue 12 - Smith 12
Washington 100 107 -7 Daniels 19 - Haywood 17 - Arenas 14
L.A. Lakers 98 113 -15 Parker 25 - Evans 10 - Bryant 10
Charlotte 97 105 -8 Wallace 23 - Okafor 15 - Felton 12
Orlando 96 105 -9 Arroyo 15 - Hill 13 - Dooling 10
New Orleans 92 107 -15 Mason 28 - Pargo 11 - Chandler 11
Houston 90 82 +8 Battier 32 - Howard 13 - Hayes 12
New York 88 170 -82 Lee 15 - Frye 12 - Rose 11
Minnesota 85 115 -30 Davis 15 - Smith 14 - Garnett 8
Boston 75 116 -41 Pierce 11 - Jefferson 10 - Telfair 7
Seattle 72 112 -40 Collison 16 - Ridnour 10 - Watson 10
Detroit 70 85 -15 Prince 12 - Delfino 11 - Maxiell 11
L.A. Clippers 65 120 -55 Cassell 18 - Maggette 9 - Ross 7
Portland 65 150 -85 Roy 10 - Jack 9 - Udoka 8

Harris almost as many flops as Bowen and Ginobili combined? Oh wait he's a Mav ..sorry then flopping is good.

dude1394
03-08-2007, 07:17 AM
If devin is flopping then he's not doing a very good job of it because it appears to me he's getting pummelled out there.

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 07:20 AM
If devin is flopping then he's not doing a very good job of it because it appears to me he's getting pummelled out there.

I don't have any problem with a defender getting a call if he does beat the offensive player to the spot. I just thought is was funny that someone called Manu out when a player on his team does it much more than Manu does.

dude1394
03-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Does manu flop a lot? I know diva does but it's usually on the offensive end.

Dirkadirkastan
03-08-2007, 07:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKMv9LrgF6M

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Does manu flop a lot? I know diva does but it's usually on the offensive end.

As opposed the the mavs diva falling down everytime she shoots? Dirk is fading before anyone breaths on him..

Dirkadirkastan
03-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Are you serious? Dirk fades away so that nobody can get a hand in his face.

Hey Georgie, here's a fun game game you probably never heard of. It's called basketball. They show games on national television all the time. It's confusing to watch at first but you'll catch on after awhile, and it's a lot of fun to watch after that.

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Are you serious? Dirk fades away so that nobody can get a hand in his face.

Hey Georgie, here's a fun game game you probably never heard of. It's called basketball. They show games on national television all the time. It's confusing to watch at first but you'll catch on after awhile, and it's a lot of fun to watch after that.

You know I wondered what those 3 gold trophies in the AT&T Center mean't something. Thanks dude for enightening me. By the way does falling down when you shoot not wanting anyone to get a hand in your face? Isn't dirk 7 feet tall?

Dirkadirkastan
03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
What the crap are you talking about? Do you invent random accusations to piss people off just so you can get a reaction?

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 08:04 AM
What the crap are you talking about? Do you invent random accusations to piss people off just so you can get a reaction?

Sorry are you asking me what 'crap' I am posting right after you ask me if I have ever watched basketball? I usually lower myself to post to people like you. Reaction? I just like to point out anyone who is being a hypocrite. Critcizing someone on one hand meanwhile defending another person for doing the exact same thing. Hypocrisy if a load of crap.

Dirkadirkastan
03-08-2007, 08:15 AM
You're making a ridiculous accusation for no reason. Dirk doesn't fall on his ass after taking jumpers. You made that up. It's bullshit. He's perfected his unguardable fadeaway jumper, and that pisses you off I guess. He doesn't shoot fadeaways to get calls, he shoots fadeaways to keep hands out of his face. This is such a basic concept, I do have to wonder if you've ever watched the sport.

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 08:20 AM
You're making a ridiculous accusation for no reason. Dirk doesn't fall on his ass after taking jumpers. You made that up. It's bullshit. He's perfected his unguardable fadeaway jumper, and that pisses you off I guess. He doesn't shoot fadeaways to get calls, he shoots fadeaways to keep hands out of his face. This is such a basic concept, I do have to wonder if you've ever watched the sport.

You've never seen Dirk fall down after he takes a jump shot? Ok I guess you and I watch different mav games.. So let me ask you this why don't other jump shooters who are much shorter fade away? I would assume since they aren't 7 ft tall they would have more of a problem with that don't you think? Is this making any sense? If it's such a 'basic' concept why doesn't the majority of the league fade away when they shoot?

Silk Smoov
03-08-2007, 08:21 AM
I couldn't agree more. The last thing we need is more whistles, especially for technical fouls. I'd like to see the NBA do away with the current rules for calling tech's on players and coaches complaining. The way to inforce this behavior is with fines and suspensions by the NBA.

BTW if the NBA cracks down on NBA floppers does this mean that Diva Wade's career is over?

To be brutally honest, there is no need for fines or suspensions for floppers. The refs already have the most important weapon to fight floppers!!!!!

It is called the "Whistle"....Make either a "No call" or a "Foul" on the flopper. Real simple. This weapon was invented when the game was invented. The problem is NOT the floppers, it is the "Refs"....

The refs can stop "Floppers", "Kobe-hitting a player after he shoots", Wade flying into the lane, Ginobilli flops, Bowens "Sticking foot under players". They can stop all that mess by using their "Whistle" correctly.

As much as we hated the quick techs at the beginning of the season, it stopped all the Spurs type crying on the floor. It even cooled down alot of quick temper players. The solution was simple. Use the "Whistle". Once they controled the crying and tempers with that "Whistle", the ref went back to normal and everything with that is now fine.

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
To be brutally honest, there is no need for fines or suspensions for floppers. The refs already have the most important weapon to fight floppers!!!!!

It is called the "Whistle"....Make either a "No call" or a "Foul" on the flopper. Real simple. This weapon was invented when the game was invented. The problem is NOT the floppers, it is the "Refs"....

The refs can stop "Floppers", "Kobe-hitting a player after he shoots", Wade flying into the lane, Ginobilli flops, Bowens "Sticking foot under players". They can stop all that mess by using their "Whistle" correctly.

As much as we hated the quick techs at the beginning of the season, it stopped all the Spurs type crying on the floor. It even cooled down alot of quick temper players. The solution was simple. Use the "Whistle". Once they controled the crying and tempers with that "Whistle", the ref went back to normal and everything with that is now fine.

Yes it made the Spurs stop their whining which was a good thing. You save the whining for Mark Cuban..

Dirkadirkastan
03-08-2007, 08:31 AM
You've never seen Dirk fall down after he takes a jump shot? Ok I guess you and I watch different mav games.. So let me ask you this why don't other jump shooters who are much shorter fade away? I would assume since they aren't 7 ft tall they would have more of a problem with that don't you think? Is this making any sense? If it's such a 'basic' concept why doesn't the majority of the league fade away when they shoot?

If they don't have a fadeaway, it's their loss. Most jumpshooters are guardable. Dirk isn't because he has the height plus the fadeaway. That's one reason why he's an all-star.

This is 'basic' because everyone knows it. Except you.

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 08:34 AM
If they don't have a fadeaway, it's their loss. Most jumpshooters are guardable. Dirk isn't because he has the height plus the fadeaway. That's one reason why he's an all-star.

This is 'basic' because everyone knows it. Except you.

Fading away is a way of creating distance between a shooter and the defender. Players have hands in thier face almost everytime they take a shot in the NBA..I know it's hard to believe but maybe you can grasp that concept. Dirk fades away becasue he is worried about coming down on people's feet and not because of a hand in his face. It's a normal occurence

Silk Smoov
03-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Fading away is a way of creating distance between a shooter and the defender. Players have hands in thier face almost everytime they take a shot in the NBA..I know it's hard to believe but maybe you can grasp that concept. Dirk fades away becasue he is worried about coming down on people's feet and not because of a hand in his face. It's a normal occurence

Fading away is a way of creating distance between a shooter and the defender.

George,
You are the first poster in history to argue against their own point in the same paragraph.

Dirk fades away becasue he is worried about coming down on people's feet and not because of a hand in his face. It's a normal occurence

Can anyone believe I took both of these statements from the same post of George :D

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirkadirkastan
03-08-2007, 08:43 AM
You make it sound as if he's a mediocre player who adopts an odd shooting form because he's scared.

If I am anywhere close to what you actually believe, then I have just discovered a new level of stupidity.

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 08:44 AM
George,
You are the first poster in history to argue against their own point in the same paragraph.

Can anyone believe I took both of these statements from the same post of George :D

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does dirk fade away to creat space? does dirk fade away because he doesn't want to roll his ankle? maybe he does it to avoid both? wow what a novel concept! I know it's hard to form a critical thought this early in the morning but try. let me guess your one of those 'it's black or white' folks aren't you?

mary
03-08-2007, 08:46 AM
"Flopping", as most people know it, can lead to several different results.

Drawing an offensive foul is only one of those results.

Getting a defensive foul called in your favor is another result.

Getting a defensive foul called in your opponent's favor is another one.

Those stats are nice, but they don't begin to give a comprehensive picture of flopping...only of "drawn charges". They don't measure anything else.

Only the most homerish of Spurs fans would dare to believe that Manu is not a flopper.

Dirkadirkastan
03-08-2007, 08:48 AM
does dirk fade away to creat space? does dirk fade away because he doesn't want to roll his ankle? maybe he does it to avoid both? wow what a novel concept! I know it's hard to form a critical thought this early in the morning but try. let me guess your one of those 'it's black or white' folks aren't you?

How about you just admit you are at best making guesses (at worst you're being a ridiculous Spurs homer) and you don't know what you're talking about.

mary
03-08-2007, 08:50 AM

Does Dirk drive into the lane with three people in front of him to avoid ankle injuries?

Its funny to listen to someone criticize Dirk's fadeaway, when its one of the most money shots in the game.

mary
03-08-2007, 08:53 AM
You make it sound as if he's a mediocre player who adopts an odd shooting form because he's scared.

If I am anywhere close to what you actually believe, then I have just discovered a new level of stupidity.
As the best shooting 7-footer to ever walk the earth, I'm sure he would be dissappointed to find out some message board folk don't approve of his shooting style.

Flacolaco
03-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Its funny to listen to someone criticize Dirk's fadeaway, when its one of the most money shots in the game.

there's a joke to be made there....

but why ruin a perfectly good basketball conversation?

She's right btw. That thing is so sweet when he's really got it working. (unlike againts the nets the other night)

Dirkadirkastan
03-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks, guys, for snapping me out of this. I might as well have been talking to a random word generator. :)

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 09:27 AM
How about you just admit you are at best making guesses (at worst you're being a ridiculous Spurs homer) and you don't know what you're talking about.

a guess? Look apparently your not one of the brighter one's but I think Dirk has earned the MVP this year . I have no prblem with him as a player but I'm not blinded homer to not admit Manu does flop on occasion unlike you. Dirk gets away with a lot of flopping and flailing on the perimeter.. I don't like it but that's the way it is.. I'm not going to waste my time but there was a thread dedicated as to why Dirk fades away.. etc.. many of your bretheren thought it was because he was worried about coming down on other player's ankles for which I agreed with .. so I will assume that you will attribute them to 'not knowing basketball or ever watching a basketball game'.

dude1394
03-08-2007, 09:33 AM
As opposed the the mavs diva falling down everytime she shoots? Dirk is fading before anyone breaths on him..

So is that a yes? Or are you just avoiding the question?

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 09:39 AM
So is that a yes? Or are you just avoiding the question?

Thankfully manu has almost completely stopped flopping on the defensive end. I say that because what else would people like you complain about. As far as flopping on offense he flails and flops just as much Dirk the Diva.. so yes he does.

LonghornDub
03-08-2007, 09:55 AM
a guess? Look apparently your not one of the brighter one's but I think Dirk has earned the MVP this year . I have no prblem with him as a player but I'm not blinded homer to not admit Manu does flop on occasion unlike you. Dirk gets away with a lot of flopping and flailing on the perimeter.. I don't like it but that's the way it is.. I'm not going to waste my time but there was a thread dedicated as to why Dirk fades away.. etc.. many of your bretheren thought it was because he was worried about coming down on other player's ankles for which I agreed with .. so I will assume that you will attribute them to 'not knowing basketball or ever watching a basketball game'.

It's really humorous to observe how practically everyone on this board is apparently renting out space in this guy's head. He's starting to get really flustered but he just can't help having the last word. :D

alexamenos
03-08-2007, 10:05 AM
You know I wondered what those 3 gold trophies in the AT&T Center mean't something.

we should really hand out a little award everytime a Spurs fan brings up the three trophies...

make it a special olympics kind of thing....

You came up with that taunt all by yourself!?!

ooh......you're sooo special.

(look at George, ain't he cute????)

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
It's really humorous to observe how practically everyone on this board is apparently renting out space in this guy's head. He's starting to get really flustered but he just can't help having the last word. :D

RIGHT. On one hand I can respond and then am labeled needing to get the last word in. Then I'm asked to answer a question or if I don't respond then ladies such as yourself claim that I never came back and answered one of your posts. See you can have it both ways... You can criticize for me responding nor not responding.. you my friend are a genius but I notice you don't refute one thing I have said so I take you are just attacking the source..

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 10:10 AM
we should really hand out a little award everytime a Spurs fan brings up the three trophies...

make it a special olympics kind of thing....

You came up with that taunt all by yourself!?!

ooh......you're sooo special.

(look at George, ain't he cute????)

Well this was almost as original as mav poster who asked me if I hads ever watched basktball.. I realize it is probably very difficult for you to follow along but as I understand it their are short yellow buses for folks like you..

Flacolaco
03-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks, guys, for snapping me out of this. I might as well have been talking to a random word generator. :)

underrated line :)

Usually Lurkin
03-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Dirk *should* have flopped last year in the finals. If he'd fallen on the floor, writhing like an Argentinian, Shaq would have been suspended for those elbows. Instead he just kept playing. Stupid robot.

alexamenos
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Well this was almost as original as mav poster who asked me if I hads ever watched basktball...

however lame these may be, you must admit that it's consierably more original than a San Antonio Spurs fan taunting "we've got three rings, we've got three rings...."

I've already branded Houston Rocket's fans who tout their 1990's successes as "Uncle Rico" (uncle rico being a pathetic character stuck in a previous decade)....

I think I'll refer to you and yours as Brittany Spears....you were smoking hot in the first half of this decade.....

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
however lame these may be, you must admit that it's consierably more original than a San Antonio Spurs fan taunting "we've got three rings, we've got three rings...."

I've already branded Houston Rocket's fans who tout their 1990's successes as "Uncle Rico" (uncle rico being a pathetic character stuck in a previous decade)....

I think I'll refer to you and yours as Brittany Spears....you were smoking hot in the first half of this decade.....

Cool then I think I'll consider you K-Fed.

alexamenos
03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
You know I wondered what those 3 gold trophies in the AT&T Center mean't something.

here you go, GG....the Brittany Spears Award for being so damn hot in the first half of this decade.

Spurs 3, Mavs 0

George Gervin
03-08-2007, 11:43 AM
here you go, GG....the Brittany Spears Award for being so damn hot in the first half of this decade.

Spurs 3, Mavs 0

Congratualtions K-Fed the guy/team who just never could get over the hump.. or better never getting out of the shadow of Brittany...

alexamenos
03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Congratualtions K-Fed the guy/team who just never could get over the hump.. or better never getting out of the shadow of Brittany...

now we see the extent of George's creativity:

he's got...

--"Spurs 3, Mavs 0"....a novel bit of work which is only dished out by every double-digit iq'd spurs fan with internet access; and

--a blatant rip-off of my schtick, except without the funny picture of a bald-headed brittany spears...

You're so special.

DarenG
03-08-2007, 02:52 PM
My main concern with this is we have all seen what happens when the NBA tried to crack down on whiners. Now they backed off a bit. Are they going to be consistant and are they going to crack down early then back off again?

I have zero confidence in the NBA to go after these guys on a consistant basis. I think the calls just become more subjective then they ever were.

mqywaaah
03-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Dont give the refs that kind of power. They tend to abuse it. ;)

antoinewalker
03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
could this mean the end of devin harris' career?

Underdog
03-09-2007, 08:57 PM

They already made a "no bitch" rule against Antoine Walker, so shut yo' mouth fool!

dude1394
03-09-2007, 09:10 PM

Well you sure won't see walker flopping or taking charges. Or getting anywhere close to being fouled either.

What kind of weak-minded moron shoots 39% from the FT line. Has there ever been a more moronic NBA player in history? The only thing worse than his ft shooting is his 3pt%, 27%!!! Good god, it's like a turnover everytime he touches the ball.

And speaking of turnovers..he's got more to's/game than apg? It's shocking that they allow something so purtrid to put on the uniform.

Nemesis
03-10-2007, 12:19 AM
^my new sig..

that is greatness...

bigcat
03-10-2007, 02:03 AM
i don't normally post here, but hate to see a good stat got wasted...

it puzzled me that george made so much effort to come up with some nice stat only to dwell on "flop".

offense foul committed and drawn are nice stat that shed some light on the team's defense scheme and individual players' defense skills. nice work. (can you tell me how you get the stat?)

but why on the god's green earth do you want to use these stat to discuss flop??? if we have an accepted standard to identify flop, nba won't still be talking about "trying to cracking down floppers". devin harris draws as much charge as bowen and manu do combined, but how the heck can you make a quantum leap spinning and say "Harris almost as many flops as Bowen and Ginobili combined"? don't you think that is idiotic? and wtf does dirk's fade away jumper have anything to do with flopping?

i don't know why manu got a rep for flopping. just like i don't know why divac got the rep some years back. but would you even entertain the possibility that for some periods of time, they might do flop more often than others?

dude1394
03-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Raja Bell talking about flopping.

No need. Raja Bell is aware of his reputation. He keeps a journal for ESPN.com and often answers questions from readers. Among the first came from a basketball player named Calvin in Los Angeles, who wanted to know the secret to Bell's "flopping success."

"Yep. I've been called a flopper," Bell responded. "But I consider a flop to be when you create something out of thin air - when there's no contact and you lay down anyway."

The Suns guard elaborated after a recent practice.

"Here's the deal, man," he said. "If you got someone barreling into your chest, and you try to stand up and be a tough guy with him, very rarely is an offensive foul called. The only time you ever get a foul called is if you go down, so why would I stand there and try to man-up with somebody when I'm not going to get anything but a defensive foul?"

I can't agree with him more. If the refs are going to let someone bang into you, dislodge you then this seems like a perfect defense. If the refs would call that crap then you wouldn't have flopping.

Pongo
04-03-2007, 07:42 AM
who wants to see some real good flopping? click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKuwygt3-h4