PDA

View Full Version : Thursday TNT basketball thread

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Isn't anyone watching this Kings/Spurs game?

There are two things that strike me as I watch this:

1. The Spurs are very beatable

2. Is Oberto not the ugliest human being you've ever seen?

ok 3 things.... could ginobili stop hitting fckng three pointers?

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 12:51 AM
look at Duncan stare down the ref.....god I hate that guy

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 12:51 AM
yeah Im talking to myself now....good times, good times

Windmill360
03-09-2007, 12:53 AM
It's frustrating to see how pathetic this Kings defense is because they are so close to winning.

Windmill360
03-09-2007, 12:58 AM
close out you friggin TARDS!

Windmill360
03-09-2007, 01:00 AM
i've never seen such a collective group of pasies before.

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 01:02 AM
the spurs for the most part in the second half are all standing around waiting for manu to make a play

parker finally does something

so beatable....

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 01:02 AM
windmill you new sig is styling dude

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 01:05 AM
ah game over.

gay

the kings are just a little undermanned

Windmill360
03-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Over. Queens have no killer instinct. They have been within 1 like the whole second half.

Boy they sure took a nose dive after 2002, huh?

SaltwaterChaffy
03-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Matt Bonner is getting crunchtime minutes in this game.

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 01:07 AM
lol so inexperienced

that martin kid is pretty smooth sometimes though

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 01:08 AM
yeah enjoy good times spurts....

it wont be like this in the playoffs. you're gonna have to do better than this

speaking of which whatever happened to BSR?

EricaLubarsky
03-09-2007, 01:24 AM
like a real fan he gave up on his team early.

Anyway, Kings are crap. The game means nothing. Only way it would have meant a thing is if the spurs had gotten a L on their schedule.

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 01:25 AM
well if tonight was any indication, I hope the Kings grab that final playoff spot.

They have no idea how to close a game out when they have a chance to win

nashtymavsfan13
03-09-2007, 01:30 AM
well if tonight was any indication, I hope the Kings grab that final playoff spot.

They have no idea how to close a game out when they have a chance to win

Edit: nvm, my mistake

chumdawg
03-09-2007, 01:36 AM
San Antonio is starting to frighten me.

EricaLubarsky
03-09-2007, 01:40 AM
yeah they are coming alive. I still think they are a quarter-step below last year, but people acted like the Spurs had fallen out of the playoff picture. They are still top 3-4 in the league and should be respected. Jazz and Suns may have quickness and youth, but Spurs still know how to win.

SaltwaterChaffy
03-09-2007, 01:41 AM
The Kings had won 10 in a row before tonight, so they've been doing well as of late.

??????????????????????????????

nashtymavsfan13
03-09-2007, 01:48 AM
??????????????????????????????

Nevermind, my mistake. On the Yahoo NBA front page it says the Spurs ended the Kings' 10 game winning streak, but it was actually only 4.

EricaLubarsky
Kings 6-4
Spurs 10-0

over the previous 10

nashtymavsfan13
2. Is Oberto not the ugliest human being you've ever seen?

Kaman? Cassell?

Dirkadirkastan
03-09-2007, 01:56 AM
So who's the starting five in the NBA Ugly Team?

EricaLubarsky
03-09-2007, 01:58 AM
oberto can slide over to the 4 if need be.

Windmill360
03-09-2007, 01:59 AM
http://static.flickr.com/54/131612223_ad6d63c9d3_o.jpg

ocelot_ark
03-09-2007, 02:42 AM

*ussy.

nashtymavsfan13
03-09-2007, 02:51 AM

PG Steve Colter
SG Cassell
SF Oberto
PF Gasol
C Kaman

Bench Poyeye Jones, Calvin Booth

Here is there's: http://www.thephatphree.com/features.asp?StoryID=257&SectionID=1

chumdawg
03-09-2007, 03:07 AM
*ussy.Probably a bad choice of words on my part. I should have said: "I'm starting to think that San Antonio might be getting ready to take a huge sh*t on these championship plans of mine."

Kinda changes it from fear to dread. Less pusillanimous for your tastes?

EricaLubarsky
03-09-2007, 03:08 AM
Probably a bad choice of words on my part. I should have said: "I'm starting to think that San Antonio might be getting ready to take a huge sh*t on these championship plans of mine."

For the record I think he was calling you out on being a shell of a Mavs fan rather than calling you out on how directly you said it. I tend to agree- you are a bad Mavs fan. You talk about how bad the Mavs messed up an awful lot and instead of respecting other teams and having faith in your own you seem to fear other teams.

chumdawg
03-09-2007, 03:25 AM
For the record I think he was calling you out on being a shell of a Mavs fan rather than calling you out on how directly you said it. I tend to agree- you are a bad Mavs fan. You talk about how bad the Mavs messed up an awful lot and instead of respecting other teams and having faith in your own you seem to fear other teams.Well, maybe that's what he meant after all. If so, I can't say that I really want to be on that side. This thread was about the Spurs and their TNT game. I commented that the Spurs are starting to scare me--meaning, get my attention. I'm a whole lot more interested in discussing who's playing great basketball now, at this increasingly important stage of the season, than I am in discussing how cockstrong I am as a Mavs fan.

"Respect other teams," you say? I do. A lot more than some of those who puff out their chests and say that these Mavs can't be beaten, I would think. See, I *know* they can be beaten. I hope to hell they won't be, which is why I take the time to analyze and discuss stuff about it. But in the event that they are, I want to understand why it happened. And vice versa, of course.

dude1394
03-09-2007, 07:55 AM
I was listening to Bob Ortegal on GAC and he wanted to play the suns, not the spurs. His reasoning was that the suns will have much more defensive letdowns than the spurs will during the series.

Made sense but if he thought of brackets that would have meant that the suns knocked off the spurs to get to us. Hmm....

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 09:19 AM
I definitely fear the Spurs more than the Suns still. They have too much experience winning in the playoffs. They know how to get the big stops down the stretch, etc....

I was just saying that LAST NIGHT, the Spurs were looking rather pedestrian, and that game was there for the taking, but the Kings couldn't seal the deal.

Dtownsfinest
03-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I was just saying that LAST NIGHT, the Spurs were looking rather pedestrian, and that game was there for the taking, but the Kings couldn't seal the deal.

Spurs were coming off of a back to back. To my knowledge they suck at back to backs so i'm sure they just wanted to go in there and get the W. There 11 game winning streak has been very impressive. You're averaging 100 points a game while your opponents are putting up 82? That's unheard of. I'm not shocked though. When everyone wrote off the Spurs at the end of the day they still have Duncan, Gino and Parker and solid reserves. Not to mention don't they do this every year after the all star break? The playoffs in the West is going to be once again great basketball. I don't expect any team to get swept in the first round.

Kings don't impress me at all. They deserve props for playing without their best player but they're offense looks stagnant at times. Kevin Martin is their leading scorer but the team doesn't have a #1 option. Kevin Martin should get touches on every possession his team gets. Not to mention they're defense is worse than it was when Webber, Divac's and Peja were there.

Kevin Martin was a beast last night. I've been sleeping on him all season long. I had no clue he puts up 21 points a game. Kings need to get Artest out of there ASAP. Anything will be good value for the Kings.

dude1394
03-09-2007, 10:25 AM
No I don't think the spurs were on a back-to-back but they are on 5 games in 7 nights. That's pretty studly going 10-0 in the middle of that.

Dtownsfinest
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Oh they weren't? I was reading an article and it said they played the Blazers on March 8th. I think that was when the article was written I guess. That's my fault.

TripleDipping
03-09-2007, 10:47 AM
A Suns/Spurs playoff matchup will be delicious.

alexamenos
03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Probably a bad choice of words on my part. I should have said: "I'm starting to think that San Antonio might be getting ready to take a huge sh*t on these championship plans of mine."

i'm too lazy to look up "pusillanimous", but I can certainly see where you're coming from......manu is a killer, and their execution is as solid as ever.

allthesame....

one of things i question with the Spurs is whether they'll be able to keep anything resembling a big line-up on the floor against the Suns. I think they're toast if they have to go small, as in Parker-Ginobili-Finley/Barry-Bowen-Duncan. That unit can't keep pace with the suns and it certainly can't take advantage of the Suns rebounding deficiency (they might even get out-rebounded by the suns).

Which leaves us considering basically three guys: Horry, F. Elson, and that tall white guy (not the redhead)....

Horry...Horry made one nice reasonably athletic defensive play on Martin (I think) where he blocked a breakaway. Other than that, the dude looked like he should be the sixth man on a middle-aged church league team. He can barely get both feet off the ground at the same time....and, all those big shots are making big clanking noises when they bang off the side of the rim. Horry v. the Suns would be like a '75 Ford Pinto in NASCAR event.

F. Elson....I counted six occassions (doing my Charley Rosen impression, here) last night where he was playing defense on the ball....on one occassion his man dished for the assist, and on the other five he got roasted....two of those, as I recall, were and-1's. He couldn't stop Carlos Williamson or Brad Miller last night, and I really doubt he'll present alot of trouble Stoudemire, Diaw or Marion over a seven game series.

That White Guy (not bonner)....i dunno, I don't have an opinion on him at this time....but I'll go with Flac and say he's the ugliest human being to ever walk the earth.

anyhoo....

to return to my earlier contention that the Spurs are toast against the Suns if they go small (Parker-Manu-Barry/Finley-Bowen-Duncan)....take a look at the minutes played in their last meeting....

Parker 36
Ginobili 35
Barry 30
Finley 22
Bowen 27
Duncan 38
Oberto 15
Elson 12
Horry 12

it's not an accident or a fluke that the Suns outrebounded the Spurs (51-41) in that game, and the suns are the worst freaking rebounding team in the history of the universe.

i know, i know....defense wins championships, Spurs 3 and everyone else sucks and what not...still, the Suns are a tough team to beat if they get more shots than their opponent.

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 12:07 PM
A Suns/Spurs playoff matchup will be delicious.

Yeah. I hope they just beat the hell out of eachother.

At this point would you rather see the Suns or the Spurs?

TripleDipping
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah. I hope they just beat the hell out of eachother.

At this point would you rather see the Suns or the Spurs?

It's pretty much a coin toss because both Suns and Spurs are on an even level. However, I believe we match up better against the Spurs.

Flacolaco
03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
It's pretty much a coin toss because both Suns and Spurs are on an even level. However, I believe we match up better against the Spurs.

I'm so torn here.

I agree with Ortgeal, that the Suns will have far more "defensive breakdowns"

But encouraged by the way Diop has been able to play duncan in the past

discouraged by lack of Mbenga for Duncan purposes

Enouraged by last years conference finals against the suns

discouraged by Amare of course

2-0 agains the Suns so far though....

Hey the really encouraing thing is that there's a good chance we won't have to play BOTH of them like last year. What a nightmare.

Thespiralgoeson
03-09-2007, 01:26 PM
The Spurs are definitely playing some impressive basketball. The one thing that still makes me believe that the Mavs would ultimately win a WCF series against the Spurs is the fact that they just don't match up with the Mavs. It's not guaranteed by any means though. Should they meet in the WCF, it'll be a battle, that's for sure.

DarenG
03-12-2007, 02:32 AM
I'm so torn here.

I agree with Ortgeal, that the Suns will have far more "defensive breakdowns"

But encouraged by the way Diop has been able to play duncan in the past

discouraged by lack of Mbenga for Duncan purposes

Enouraged by last years conference finals against the suns

discouraged by Amare of course

2-0 agains the Suns so far though....

Hey the really encouraing thing is that there's a good chance we won't have to play BOTH of them like last year. What a nightmare.

AMEN. Hopefully some of this takes care of itself and we all know that upsets are possible come playoff time.

capitalcity
03-12-2007, 08:28 AM
AMEN. Hopefully some of this takes care of itself and we all know that upsets are possible come playoff time.Hopefully you won't be too upset when the Mavs down your Suns.

DarenG
03-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Hopefully you won't be too upset when the Mavs down your Suns.

You mean my Suns ,my Spurs and my Rockets. Not to mention my resurgent Heat. :rolleyes:

Flacolaco
03-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Im pretty sure the rockets dont (and won't) have anything to do with anything

Dtownsfinest
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I'll never underrate a team with two of the leagues best players in Yao and T-Mac. And Shane Battier is feeling in his role pretty nicely. They don't put fear in my heart but I don't think they will be swept by any team they play in the playoffs.