PDA

View Full Version : Suns squeak by NO, play 0 D

DevinHarriswillstart
03-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Not playin too well these days. The Suns do NOT even try most of the time on defense. They were giving NO about 3 feet to shoot three pointers. Nash never even bothers to cover his man most the time. I'm just so pissed that somehow everyone wnats to believe Phoenix can do anything when our 60 win team a few years ago was so ditched with the same style. We played better defense, I promise that. Yup, this is the same discussion over and over and so long as I hear this bs love affair for Phoenix, it will continue. Esp since yesterday I heard someone else say PHO has improved their defense....um no. Not even close.

Sorry, final score was 104-103, Suns barely won because of a poor shot attempt by NO at the end.

mary
03-10-2007, 08:13 AM
They also won because they successfully goaded New Orleans into taking a bunch of three pointers.

I hope our boys look for better shots come Thursday.

EricaLubarsky
03-10-2007, 03:07 PM
they play their game better than anyone. They want people to run, get sloppy and shoot too many threes. They may be average at defense but you can bet that that was a soft zone designed to promote the Hornets too shoot themselves out of the game.

DevinHarriswillstart
03-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Average at defense? No way. And the Hornets only shot themselves out of the game with the last shot. Grant it, a win is a win but still....their lack of effort on defense was not planned if thats what you're saying. You can let up on the 3 point shot without giving them 5 feet. Devin Harris would have made these 3 point shots :).

EricaLubarsky
03-10-2007, 03:24 PM
yeah I didn't see it but I know they challenge opponents to shoot and run. I was just saying as a national media source that doesn't actually watch the games. I only get about half the Suns games because League pass and the local channels fight over which one blacks the game out and usually they both do.

dirno2000
03-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Their defense has slipped a bit over the past month or so. Sometime around the halfway point, Dallas ranked 6th in defensive efficiency while PXH was right behind them at 7. They started slipping when Kurt Thomas went down and they've never really recovered.

That being said, they're still ranked 13 which would indicate that on the whole, they're an average defensive team.

It's easy to underrate their defense because of their style. What people overlook is that, while they're small, they're quick and they take a lot of charges. This is why you don't see the kind of layup lines agains the Suns that you did the 02' Mavs.

Believe it or not we shot better against the Spurs than we did the Suns in last year's playoffs. Not saying that they're the Bad Boys but they're not as bad as you make them out to be.

Nash13
03-11-2007, 02:53 AM
I think the way the Suns beat teams is the same way the Mavs beat the Suns. Suns thrive on matchups. They'll challenge one or two players to beat you offensively, rather than all five guys. And that's what i acutally like about the Suns, they use all five guys nearly every offensive play (and they rely on one or two guys defensively). When they play Dallas, they always try to beat us with Nash/Amare alone, and in the playoffs, it was Nash/Diaw. I noticed, even though they sometimes get good stats, both Barbosa and Marion don't play all that well against.

I think the thing that will do the Suns in the most is the lack of a backcourt. Part of that has to do with Nash holding the ball so much. And when i think back to the 04/05 season, that was the best the suns could do b/c they had Joe Johnson and Richardson in addition to Barbosa, guys who could put more pressure on the perimeter. And unless they start Diaw at the 2 (bc in my opinion, Nash and Barbosa isn't a good mix), i don't think they are going to win.

mqywaaah
03-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Typical.

StackAttack
03-11-2007, 02:06 PM
They don't actually play defense, but luring people into bad offense works pretty well for them.

dirno2000
03-11-2007, 04:39 PM
They don't actually play defense, but luring people into bad offense works pretty well for them.

You don't consider taking a charge playing defense? They lead the league in that category.

DevinHarriswillstart
03-11-2007, 05:55 PM
They would have to lead the league in charges taken....otherwise its a red carpet to the basket every time.

dirno2000
03-11-2007, 06:28 PM
They would have to lead the league in charges taken....otherwise its a red carpet to the basket every time.

So in other words you're saying that if they didn't play defense they'd be a bad defensive team.

dude1394
03-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Maybe..It would be interesting to see who's taking those charges. On the ball defender or help-side defender. No doubt if you are drawing charges you are playing defense.

But in general I think their philosophy is to give up the layup/shot versus taking a chance on picking up a foul. I think inherently that detracts from their on-the-ball defense.

dirno2000
03-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Maybe..It would be interesting to see who's taking those charges. On the ball defender or help-side defender. No doubt if you are drawing charges you are playing defense.

The big three in that category are Nash, Bell and Thomas so it's probably both. Nash and Bell on the ball and Thomas on the help side.

But in general I think their philosophy is to give up the layup/shot versus taking a chance on picking up a foul. I think inherently that detracts from their on-the-ball defense.

My understanding of the philosphy is that when a player is in the paint they'd rather let him score then foul him. I don't think that extends to perimeter defense. If they were just rolling out the red carpet to the paint they'd probably be ranked lower than 14th in defensive fg%.

DarenG
03-12-2007, 02:29 AM
The big three in that category are Nash, Bell and Thomas so it's probably both. Nash and Bell on the ball and Thomas on the help side.

My understanding of the philosphy is that when a player is in the paint they'd rather let him score then foul him. I don't think that extends to perimeter defense. If they were just rolling out the red carpet to the paint they'd probably be ranked lower than 14th in defensive fg%.

I think you nailed it on the head dirno2000. From what I have seen they can turn it on defensively as well. Isn't Marion also a league leader in steals? They are no San Antonio Spurs but then again few teams are defensivley with the exception of the Mavs this year.

Joey
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
They are better than the Mavs of a few years ago because of the presence inside. Amare vs. Shawn Bradley...I take Amare. I love Mavs and all of those squads and it was a great time watching them. I remember on this board talking about who the Mavs should trade for because 'Tawn could go for 40 and Dirk could go for 40 and 'Tione could go for 40 (if he shoots 35 3's) and Fin could go for 40 and Nash could go for 40...We could have scored 200 points a game! Then we should have signed Rashard Lewis and Michael Redd because they coul throw in 30 each from the bench...260...Yet we had Eddie Najera playing the 5 spot...Phoenix plays Mavs/Nellie ball better than the Mavs did. However, that translates, to this point, to the same place in the playoffs that the Mavs were...sitting at home come the finals.

EricaLubarsky
03-12-2007, 05:01 PM
they play the zone to its best effect and they do have Marion, that spare Bell, and to a certain extent Amare. In a zone you have to take charges and block shots. They do that well enough to slow down their foes when they want to and if they can keep their opponents to about 100, then they are winning.

Epitome22
03-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Honestly, what difference does it even make?

They're winning a lot more games than they are losing so whatever they're doing must be working for them.

The Mavs will beat them though.

Xylus
03-13-2007, 01:13 PM
And then two days later they stifle the Houston Rockets, holding Yao to 1-9 shooting and TMac to 8-28 shooting.

Strange days in Sunsland. I don't know what's going on with my team.

chumdawg
03-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Marion's line last night was sick. Soemthing like 15 boards, 3 blocks, and 2 steals.