PDA

View Full Version : Thomas shows 'evident progress'; earns new deal

TheBlueVan
03-12-2007, 11:22 AM
NEW YORK -- Isiah Thomas has shown enough "evident progress" to earn a multiyear contract extension with the New York Knicks.

SportsNation
Should the Knicks have extended Isiah Thomas' contract?
Yes
No

The Knicks announced Monday that Thomas has been signed to a multiyear extension to remain as the team's president and head coach. Several New York newspapers had reported the deal was about to be signed in their Monday editions.

"Isiah Thomas' stewardship of the Knicks, both as president and head coach, has clearly resulted in the team's 'significant improvement' and I am very pleased to provide him with this well deserved extension," said James L. Dolan, chairman, Madison Square Garden and president and CEO, Cablevision Systems Corporation, in a statement released by the team. "The Knicks have grown tremendously, both in terms of team performance and player development, and much of the credit goes to Isiah and his staff."

The New York Times, citing a person "briefed on the matter," says Thomas will sign the new deal to remain both team president and head coach on Monday. The Knicks are 29-34, but are in the hunt for their first playoff berth since 2004.

The Knicks won 23 games last year under Larry Brown, who was later fired.

"While we clearly remain in a rebuilding process and have significant work ahead of us to become an elite team in the NBA, I feel strongly that this is a much better team, with a very bright future," Dolan added in the statement.

TheBlueVan
03-12-2007, 11:23 AM
i hate isaiah thomas. 29-34 is an improvement? get used to years of maxed-out contracts and broken down has-been guards Knicks fans

kg_veteran
03-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Where's Kiki?

HexNBA
03-12-2007, 01:06 PM
This is hilarious, rewarding people for being 5 games under .500.

LRB
03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I thought not firing his sorry @$$ would have been more than reward enough. Seems like the Knicks ownership has set the bar abysmally low.

DarenG
03-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Zeke is a joke of a GM. If your a team wanting to offload a terrible contract then you love this deal. If your a Knick fan you have to wonder what managment is thinking. I give the guy credit for coaching up the Knicks the last couple months. However, it took ownership lighting a fire under his bum to do it. He still hasn't proven to be a good GM. If your going to extend the guy, fire him as GM and make him just coach.

Flacolaco
03-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Im going to call the Knicks and see if I can get a job....

DarenG
03-12-2007, 01:36 PM

LOL. You couldn't do any worse. Well maybe you could but you would get a phat paycheck in return. :D

TripleDipping
03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I wish my boss would come to me and say "Our company still suck but it doesn't suck as bad as before so as a result I'm going to reward you handsomely."

Boy I wish I work for Dolan.

vjz
03-12-2007, 04:55 PM
All I can say is - Thank God I am not a Knicks fan.

rabbitproof
03-14-2007, 02:24 AM
Technically, if you go from tremendously horrible to just horrible, couldn't that qualify as tremendous improvement.....

Underdog
03-14-2007, 07:46 AM
All I can say is - Thank God I am not a Knicks fan.

No joke - we'll trade barbs with Suns, Spurs, and Rockets fans, but who would want to root for a garbage team like the Knicks???

mqywaaah
03-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Thomas - Overrated

LRB
03-14-2007, 03:28 PM

You're going to have to provide proof of your incompetence along with references to even have a chance.