PDA

View Full Version : Old West vs New West

dongtouch
03-25-2007, 01:19 AM
I haven't been an NBA fan for that long, but I have looked back at the historical matchups in the Western conference and there were really exciting, especially the matchup at the PF/C.

Put aside your love for the Mavs (to avoid biasness), which decade features more exciting Western conference playoffs basketball?

90s
Suns- Barkley/Kevin Johnson
Spurs- David Robinson/Avery Johnson
Sonics- Kemp/Payton
Jazz- Malone/Stockton
Rockets- Olajuwon/Drexler

2000s
Mavs- Nowitzki/Terry
Spurs- Duncan/Parker
Suns- Stoudemire/Nash
some earlier 2000s
Kings- Webber/Bibby
Lakers- Shaq/Kobe

Five-ofan
03-25-2007, 01:25 AM
no offense to aj but hes not in the same league with the other guards from the 90s

chumdawg
03-25-2007, 01:31 AM
Interesting question. But I think that even today a lot of people underestimate just how much more athletic guys have become over the last decade or two. I bet, for example, that Dwight Howard would totally negate Karl Malone.

In other words, the old guys would get way beat.

Five-ofan
03-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Interesting question. But I think that even today a lot of people underestimate just how much more athletic guys have become over the last decade or two. I bet, for example, that Dwight Howard would totally negate Karl Malone.

In other words, the old guys would get way beat.
i love d12 and athletically he would be greater than or equal to malone but that doesnt mean hed come close to negating him.

chumdawg
03-25-2007, 01:39 AM
i love d12 and athletically he would be greater than or equal to malone but that doesnt mean hed come close to negating him.Granted, Howard is not in his prime yet. But why wouldn't he be able to negate Malone? Malone was great and all, but Howard would run him out the gym.

jleefilled
03-25-2007, 02:28 AM
A little bit off topic, but is it just me or is the battle for who comes out of the West going to be the most interesting one -- for either conference -- in many years?

Five-ofan
03-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Granted, Howard is not in his prime yet. But why wouldn't he be able to negate Malone? Malone was great and all, but Howard would run him out the gym.
because dwight doesnt really know how to do a hell of alot besides rebound. hes overrated as a defender and he has no post moves.

jleefilled
03-25-2007, 02:36 AM
While I haven't watched that much of D. Howard, I think I have to agree with 5-0 here. If Howard can top out at where Karl Malone was in his prime, he'll be lucky. My friends use to call the mailman "never miss".

But still, I think it's probably correct to say that the general level of athleticism in the NBA has increased by a lot in the past twenty or so years.

chumdawg
03-25-2007, 02:38 AM
A little bit off topic, but is it just me or is the battle for who comes out of the West going to be the most interesting one -- for either conference -- in many years?Not really. It was a veritable three-team race in 2003.

jleefilled
03-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Not really. It was a veritable three-team race in 2003.

Very true, but this year, there are four teams by my count that have a legit chance of coming out in the West -- Mavs, Spurs, Suns, and Rockets. I know the Rockets may be a questionable choice, but under the assumption that everyone will be healthy, the Rockets look as dangerous as almost anybody in the West. But yeah, that three-team battle in 2003 was about as interesting as it can get.

chumdawg
03-25-2007, 02:58 AM
If the Rox are up to par, then yes, I can't remember the last time it went four deep. Maybe never.

Flacolaco
03-25-2007, 03:00 AM
viva Kevin Johnson!!!

I loved him so much as a player. He was my leader when I was a kid.

That being said... 2000's > 1990's

jleefilled
03-25-2007, 03:12 AM
viva Kevin Johnson!!!

I loved him so much as a player. He was my leader when I was a kid.

That being said... 2000's > 1990's

Off topic, again...

I didn't see it before when everyone was saying it, but now I am starting to see a little of Kevin Johnson's game in Devin Harris.

LRB
03-25-2007, 03:38 AM
because dwight doesnt really know how to do a hell of alot besides rebound. hes overrated as a defender and he has no post moves.

I cannot agree more. Even a 40+ returning from major injury malone did a credible job on Kevin Garnett during the Faker's playoff run during KG's best season ever and only MVP season. Karl dominated through skill, not athletic ability. Dwight Howard only dominates so far via athletism. For years it was told that more athletic forwards would surpass Malone, and for years he at their lunch. Heck I think that if Malone came out of retirement today he could show Howard a thing or two. Howard would definitely dominate over the course of a game, but it wouldn't be all one sided.

I just wish we could get Malone as an assistant coach to work with Dirk. I'd love for Dirk to have access to malone's full bag of tricks.

Kirobaito
03-25-2007, 03:51 AM
I cannot agree more. Even a 40+ returning from major injury malone did a credible job on Kevin Garnett during the Faker's playoff run during KG's best season ever and only MVP season. Karl dominated through skill, not athletic ability. Dwight Howard only dominates so far via athletism. For years it was told that more athletic forwards would surpass Malone, and for years he at their lunch. Heck I think that if Malone came out of retirement today he could show Howard a thing or two. Howard would definitely dominate over the course of a game, but it wouldn't be all one sided.

I just wish we could get Malone as an assistant coach to work with Dirk. I'd love for Dirk to have access to malone's full bag of tricks.
I honestly wonder whether Dirk would want to hear a word that Malone would say after all the dirty crap that Malone did to him over the years.

Thespiralgoeson
03-25-2007, 05:26 AM
Chum, I think you are seriously selling Malone short. That dude not only had exponentially greater skill than someone like Dwight, but he was much more physically gifted than you seem to be giving him credit for. He might not have been quite as fast or agile as Howard, but he'd certainly be able to keep up with him.

jthig32
03-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I agree with Chum's idea, but I think you have to go back a bit further to begin discussing whether the increase in sheer athleticism gives today's players and advantage over ones from past year.

atrewsfan
03-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Who has been the best DAL "top-3/trio" of players?

1. Jason Kidd - Jimmy Jackson - Jamal Mashburn

2. Dirk - Steve Nash - Michael Finley

3. Dirk - Josh Howard - Jason Terry

alexamenos
03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Who has been the best DAL "top-3/trio" of players?

1. Jason Kidd - Jimmy Jackson - Jamal Mashburn

2. Dirk - Steve Nash - Michael Finley

3. Dirk - Josh Howard - Jason Terry

ro blackman, harper and aguirre ca 1988 figure very highly on this list, probably number 1. dirk is better right now than any of the '88 trio, but I'll take any two of the 88 three over J-Ho and Jet (and I have raging mad man-love for JET).

Ro and Harper were a better backcourt than pre-mvp Nash and Finley, and acguirre was a friggin' beast of a scoring machine. Also, blackman, harper and aguirre were lifelong mavs who had played together for several years and were hitting their prime in '88.

Dirk, Nash and Fin 2002-2003 are close, but i discount them a bit because dirk and steve weren't as good as they were gonna get and fin was already not as good as he had been.

the trey j's...not even close.

Five-ofan
03-25-2007, 03:22 PM
if you switch karl malone with larry bird i think you would have had a point chum. there are quite a few people in todays nba who i think would give larry bird absolute fits.

WayOutWest
03-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Malone in his prime would abuse Howard like a rental car. Howard is very impressive but he's nowhere near Karl. Karl in his prime could run any PF, and 99% of the SF's in the league into the ground, plus half the guards in the league couldn't keep up with him on the break. The guy was a freak in his prime, he had SG speed on the break and he was a beast in the paint but most people remember the jump shooting Malone of the late 90's.

There are a few PF's that come to mind that could more than hold their own against the best of today's players, McHale was skilled and savy enough to handle anyone in today's league, Tarply had the size, skill and speed of the modern PF as did Ho Grant.

TheBlueVan
03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
if you switch karl malone with larry bird i think you would have had a point chum. there are quite a few people in todays nba who i think would give larry bird absolute fits.

not with the way the rules are structured. larry would be getting anything he wanted anytime he wanted because if anyone touched him it would be a foul. the league, especially the playoffs back then had a lot more contact that would be considered fouls today

and we know how larry shot freethrows

Five-ofan
03-26-2007, 06:34 PM
not with the way the rules are structured. larry would be getting anything he wanted anytime he wanted because if anyone touched him it would be a foul. the league, especially the playoffs back then had a lot more contact that would be considered fouls today

and we know how larry shot freethrows
i dont think so. I think larry would get dirk treatment in that he would be allowed to be handchecked. the idea that you cant handcheck is wrong. You just cant handcheck smalls.

endrity
03-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Man, some of you guys gotta check videos of Malone when he was young. You think Howard can run the floor as a big??? You gotta see how Malone did it back in the day, I am talking 90-92 here. And his hands were wayyyyy better than Howard's. He could catch everything on the run. And speaking of freaks of nature, well obviously you guys forgot the Reign Man. He was Amare before Amare.

duboh7
03-26-2007, 06:54 PM
ro blackman, harper and aguirre ca 1988 figure very highly on this list, probably number 1. dirk is better right now than any of the '88 trio, but I'll take any two of the 88 three over J-Ho and Jet (and I have raging mad man-love for JET).

Ro and Harper were a better backcourt than pre-mvp Nash and Finley, and acguirre was a friggin' beast of a scoring machine. Also, blackman, harper and aguirre were lifelong mavs who had played together for several years and were hitting their prime in '88.

Dirk, Nash and Fin 2002-2003 are close, but i discount them a bit because dirk and steve weren't as good as they were gonna get and fin was already not as good as he had been.

the trey j's...not even close.

alexamenos
I agree completely with your assessment. And, as a side note, I think it's time the Mavs management "forgave" Aguiire for his youthful emotional outbursts, and extended an olive branch. It's ABSOLUTELY time that Aguirre's & Harper's jerseys are retired. Aguirre was THE man while he was here (at least on the court). And, actually, none of the 3 were "lifelong"....they all spent a year or 2 at the end of their careers at other places --- but their best was at Dallas.

Rhylan
03-26-2007, 10:25 PM
One thing to consider about Malone is that he was a generation ahead of his time in terms of strength and conditioning. Either that puts him at least on the same level as guys today, or you can infer that he'd be equally ahead of his time if he were 24 right now, and still giving people whuppins.