PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay Will Be Used To Review Altercations

Underdog
09-07-2007, 06:33 AM
The NBA expanded the use of instant replay to allow referees to review all player altercations and severe flagrant fouls for this upcoming season. The changes were recommended by the league's competition committee and approved by its board of governors last week.

Officials will be able to use replay after an altercation to ensure that they didn't miss any punches thrown or other unsportsmanlike acts committed that might call for an ejection. The replay will also assist in determining the instigators of fights and in sorting out penalties after the referees have ended the dispute.

"Officials' first priority should be ending the altercation and . . . in the course of doing so, they might not see a punch or other unsportsmanlike act committed by a player that might call for ejection," the league said in a statement.

The competition committee also felt that it was appropriate for officials to view replays on the most severe type of flagrant foul -- known as a penalty two -- because they result in an automatic ejection. Referees had been limited to using instant replay to review last-second shots taken at the end of quarters.

link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/05/AR2007090501403.html?nav=rss_sports)

MavsX
09-07-2007, 07:33 AM
'bought effing time. They need to do instant replys when plays happen that are critical to the outcome of the game. Not saying stop the clock, but look at this stuff when its happening.

dirt_dobber
09-07-2007, 07:37 AM
A positive step. Could be crucial.
But I hope it doesn't take as much time as they currently take to look whether or not a guy stepped on the 3pt line or not.

jacktruth
09-07-2007, 09:49 AM
They need to use the red flag rule that they have in NFL. Especially reviewing fouls (or lack of).

mavspwnage
09-07-2007, 11:36 AM
A positive step. Could be crucial.
But I hope it doesn't take as much time as they currently take to look whether or not a guy stepped on the 3pt line or not.

maybe in the future they will make players wear cameras in their shoes. http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/6499/glassespi9.gif

fluid.forty.one
09-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Considering how many flagrant fouls change to either more severe or not at all the day after it happens.. this is a really good thing.

Silk Smoov
09-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I think this will be a dumb rule, because the refs are not going to overturn a decison made by another ref on a consistent basis. It just wont happen. I bet the majority of those calls reviewed will result in an technical upgrade, rather than to downgrade a technical call.

It seems to me to just be another way of screwing the players. If you are going to have replays, then it should be more than just to upgrade fouls. Make the game better by correcting mistakes on the court made by refs in all aspects, rather than just looking to apply harsher penalties to players...What a joke!!!!! I think this is a step backwards. We have all these problems with the refs, but now they make a rule to farther punish players. How about make rules to punish refs???????????