PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated/Underrated

grbh
04-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Saw this posted on another forum and thought it might be interesting. Who do you think are the most over and underrated players in the NBA. Let's take salary out of the question. For instance at 18 Million a year Howard is the most overrated player in the league at 16/7, but he is regarded by the fans and media as about what he is, a 16/7 guy.

Overrated:

Antoine Walker: He misses too many shots for me.

Latrell Spreewell: 19/4/4 and shot 40% this year, and guess what that isn't an off year for him. IMO he does not bring that much to the table. He scores but not at a high percentage, can't rebound, and doesn't assist.

Rasheed Wallace: 19 Point 8 Rebounds. Even throwing out his temper I think his game is regarded to highly. His prowess as a shot blocker is very overrated. Only 1.24a game. Shouldn't be mentioned in the same breathe with Duncan, Dirk, KG, Webber. He has never averaged 20 pooints per game in an NBA season.

Jason Williams: Smart basketball fans know better, but he still gets a lot of pub.

Darius Miles: I don't think he is ever going to be the superstar he is billed as. Yea he is still young, but he still has no range on his jumper. Furthermore his numbers this year are almost exactly the same as last. He needs to have a break out season in the next to or he will likely become a bust.

Shawn Bradley: Ok we all know he sucks, but I think a lot of people around the league still believe he can become an average/above average center.

Underrated:

Gary Payton: OK, yea he is a superstar, but with all the attention Kidd, Miller, and Nash have gotten this year I think Payton has been overlooked. 22/9/5 this year. He shot .470 from the field, and of course plays good D.

Brent Barry: Not going to wow you, but a solid player. 14/5/5 and shoots over 50%, and plays good D. A lot of talk about him on this board, but not to much elsewhere.

Shareef Abdur-Raheem: 21/9. Everyone knows he is a great player, but the curse of a career in Atlanta, and Vancouver is that nobody ever talks about you.

So who is on your list?

nekked
04-25-2002, 01:18 PM
grbh, i pretty much agree with all your choices (especially payton), except abdur-rahim. talk about hollow numbers. he's talented, but not an all-star. a few additions:

underrated:

elton brand: 18/11.5/2 blocks from a 6-8 guy on a young talented team. usually not mentioned in the same breath as other great pf, probably because this is his cap, but that's not bad.

shawn marion: i didn't even realize how great his ##'s are: 19/10/2 steals 47% on 2's, 39% on 3's, and he's still so young.

overrated:

dikembe mutombo: sorry, an elite player has to have some sort of offensive game. great rebounder, yes, great shot-blocker, yes, but 12/12 career?? hell, keon clark gets 11/7.5 in 10 less minutes a night. all that, and shaq ate the great defensive presence of dikembe up in the finals last year.

scottie pippen: the all-time overated, heartless wonder. has he done anything since he went out on his own? is he good, yes. a top 50 player - not even close. sorry, talent is not everything, and he may be the biggest waste of talent in nba history. 10.5 pts and 41% from the field this year.

grbh
04-25-2002, 01:22 PM
Funny, I actually thought about putting Brand and Marion on there. Especially Brand but I got lazy. Didn't even think about Pippen, but a good choice indeed. At least in the last couple years. He put up some nice numbers earlier in his career.

nekked
04-25-2002, 01:34 PM
grbh, you did mean to put spree on your overrated list, didn't you??

grbh
04-25-2002, 02:43 PM
oops, yea I did. Thanks, fixed it.

Drbio
04-25-2002, 07:19 PM
Pip and Spree are both overrated.

Shawn Bradley: Ok we all know he sucks, but I think a lot of people around the league still believe he can become an average/above average center.
Well, does he have any league-wide trade value?

Hales233
04-26-2002, 01:11 PM
i disagree with all of you re: pippen but i'm too busy to respond right now...but check back later i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

respectfully disagree mind you...

grbh
04-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Pippen has been pretty bad the last 4 years or so, but put up some great numbers when he was with the Bulls. His best seasons were the two MJ was gone.

nekked
04-26-2002, 02:38 PM
pip's best year was 93-94 (jordan's baseball hiatus) and his CAREER HIGH ##'s we're 22/8.7/5.6/2.9. very good, but that's his BEST year - when he was the top banana.

i've got some more, but i'm gonna wait to combat hales with my best stuff. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Murphy3
04-26-2002, 05:50 PM
let me get this right...pippen's offensive numbers weren't significantly better when he was in chicago playing with jordan compared to playing in chicago without jordan?

i dont' understand.. isn't that what everyone is saying about KG..that he would be so much better offensively if he had a much better supporting cast?

nekked
04-26-2002, 07:15 PM
well, murph, thanks for stealing part of my thunder for my hales debate...but i was gonna make the pippen-garnett comparison (along with others). the biggest difference, imo, is that pippen has the talent, but not the heart, while garnett has the heart, but may not have quite enough talent.

Murphy3
04-26-2002, 08:07 PM
is it that maybe kg has the athleticism but not the talent?

Drbio
04-26-2002, 08:25 PM
I think nekked hit it dead on when he said he didn't have the heart.

nekked
04-26-2002, 08:54 PM
i think kg has both athleticism (quickness, leaping ability, fluidness, etc) and talent (nice touch, ballhandling, etc.). i think kg needs to work on footwork and specific moves that will allow him to score easier. he doesn't really have post-up moves, other than a turnaround, and he seems to have trouble getting his feet set for that. no drop step, no up-and-under, no hook. that's why he has to work so hard to get his shot off - and that makes him unreliable in crunch time.

Hoopsmeister
04-26-2002, 09:47 PM
<< is it that maybe kg has the athleticism but not the talent? >>

I think its skills and sometimes a rather nebulous point between skill and the talent to learn the skill. Take his 3 pt shot. Garnett has actively worked to develop a 3-point shot and he should get credit for the work. But even with the work, even with his obvious general athleticism, he is not a bomber like Dirk or even Wallace. He apparently just doesn't have the natural talent as a shooter to develop the level of skill that some other players have.

reeds
04-26-2002, 10:01 PM
Overrated: Vin Baker, Glenn Robinson

Underrated: Elton Brand, Terrell Brandon.

nekked
04-27-2002, 07:25 PM
reeds, dead on with glenn robinson, and i think baker has played his way into being recognized as the dog he is.

what is about seattle that makes good-to-great power forwards get fat and lazy??

is sure do miss watching the man-child...now he's just the fatman with many children.