PDA

View Full Version : Spurs trade Udrih

MavsFanFinley
10-29-2007, 07:01 PM
It's like they won another championship over on spurstalk they're so happy that the Spurs got rid of Udrih. They don't even care that they'll never see the 2nd round pick from Minnesota either.

Spurs trade Udrih to Timberwolves for protected second-round pick

October 29, 2007

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- The San Antonio Spurs traded Beno Udrih to the Minnesota Timberwolves for a protected second-round draft pick in 2008 on Monday.

The 6-foot-3 guard broke his left index finger earlier this month during Spurs training camp.

Udrih's role on the team decreased last season as veteran Jacque Vaughn took over as backup point guard to Tony Parker.

During his three seasons in San Antonio he appeared in 207 regular season games and averaged 5.2 points and 1.8 assists in 13 minutes. Last season he averaged 4.7 points in 73 games. Udrih was picked by the Spurs with the 28th overall pick in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft.

Over the weekend, the Spurs waived forward Marcus Williams. The Spurs roster is now at 14 players.

Janett_Reno
10-29-2007, 07:21 PM
I think he is a good player and much better than Jacque Vaughn. Then what do i know because Pops just keeps on winning titles.

MavsFanFinley
10-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Udrih had talent when he came into the league but he came into camp every year out of shape and usually missed the entire run with one injury or another. He was content to sit on the bench and put no work whatsoever into getting better.

Pop has given him enough chances to get with the program but he's not interested apparently. RC Buford and Pop are impressed with Darius Washington and how he took advantage of the playing time given to him. It sounds like he'll be the backup pg with Vaughn becoming the 3rd option.

alby
10-29-2007, 07:41 PM
twolves are weird

DelNegro
10-29-2007, 07:56 PM
The twolves get some cash out of the deal. They'll never have to give up that pick so the Spurs kick them salary for Beno's contract and a little extra for the convenience. The Spurs still come out ahead because dumping Beno puts them under the luxury tax.

dude1394
10-29-2007, 09:16 PM
The twolves get some cash out of the deal. They'll never have to give up that pick so the Spurs kick them salary for Beno's contract and a little extra for the convenience. The Spurs still come out ahead because dumping Beno puts them under the luxury tax.

Why didn't they just release him?

MavsFanFinley
10-29-2007, 09:51 PM

Because they would have been responsible for the $1.7 salary owed to him and still been over the LT. Someone broke it down on spurstalk and they end up saving somewhere between 4-5 million, get under the LT, and have an open roster spot should they need it.

DelNegro
10-29-2007, 10:37 PM

MFF got it. He'd still have been on the Spurs payroll, they'd have had to pay lux tax on him and wouldn't get a share of the lux tax pie at the end of the year. By trading him to Minny they still come out ahead financially even when sending Minny cash to cover his salary and undoubtedly a little extra for their help. Minny probably got interested in making a few easy bucks once they bought out Juwon Howard.

DelNegro
10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Busy day for the Spurs. They just extended Tim Duncan's contract two more years.

horse900703
11-07-2007, 10:12 AM
I think he is a good player and much better than Jacque Vaughn. Then what do i know because Pops just keeps on winning titles.
i agree~~

Underdog
11-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Who? Udrih?? Spurs??? (San Antonio has a sports franchise?????)