PDA

View Full Version : Sonics tell NBA They will move to Oklahoma City

Windmill360
11-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Breaking News: Sonics Tell NBA They Will Move To Oklahoma City

November 2, 2007 - 2:34 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
Seattle SuperSonics & Storm Chairman Clayton I. Bennett made the following statement on Friday regarding the future of the franchise.

"We notified Commissioner Stern that we intend to relocate the Sonics to Oklahoma City if we succeed in the pending litigation with the City, or are able to negotiate an early lease termination, or at the end of the lease term.

"We have not made a decision regarding the future location of the Seattle Storm. We appreciate the deep local interest and support for the Storm and have begun to evaluate a future course of action for the team.

"Notwithstanding the uncertainty and difficulty of this challenging time, we remain completely committed to the success of our basketball teams. We will continue to provide our players, coaches and staff the tools and support they need to be competitive."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/48942/20071102/breaking_news_sonics_tell_nba_they_will_move_to_ok lahoma_city/

fluid.forty.one
11-02-2007, 03:17 PM
boooo. It's a sad day for seattle sports fans.

dirt_dobber
11-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I remember in the early 70's when the Dallas Chaparrals left town to become
the Spurs..... I still have strong feelings about that.

sike
11-02-2007, 03:42 PM
I have no loyalty to seattle...but if they won't support that team...I'm sure the OK fans will...they are hungry for a pro team

Dirkadirkastan
11-02-2007, 05:13 PM
OKC is a prime location for an NBA franchise right about now.

Jack.Kerr
11-02-2007, 05:21 PM
OKC is a prime location for an NBA franchise right about now.

Why?

I_am_Queens_Blvd
11-02-2007, 08:32 PM
I've always wanted to live in Seattle but I can't live in a city that doesn't have a pro basketball team...this is ruining my future plans...

mqywaaah
11-03-2007, 02:04 AM
The Oklahoma City Supersonics? That's gonna take a lot of getting used to.

EDIT

EricaLubarsky
11-03-2007, 05:06 AM
The Oklahoma City Supersonics? That's gonna take a lot of getting used to.

No more than the Los Angeles Lakers and a LOT less than the Utah Jazz.

Still prefer the Oklahoma Sonics over the Oklahoma Hillers or OKC Cottonwoods

mqywaaah
11-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Dallas Rockets? San Antonio Mavericks? Houston Spurs?

Jack.Kerr
11-03-2007, 09:05 AM
They should change the team name. "Supersonics" in Oklahoma doesn't really have much brand value, and think of all the new team merchandise they could sell.

ty
11-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Dallas Rockets? San Antonio Mavericks? Houston Spurs?

Blasphemy. Never place Dallas and Rockets side by side.

DavidDaMonkey
11-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Blasphemy. Never place Dallas and Rockets side by side.

What about:

"Who is a zillion times better than the Rockets? Dallas!"

fluid.forty.one
11-03-2007, 03:57 PM
What could they change the name to that would sound good with "Oklahoma City"?

Underdog
11-03-2007, 03:59 PM
What could they change the name to that would sound good with "Oklahoma City"?

Dust Mites

dirt_dobber
11-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Underdog

That was hilarious!

SeattleMavsFan
11-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I"m so pissed about this. I live in the Seattle area and I will never get to see the Mavs play again if they move out of here. David Stern is such an asshole and shouldn't let a jackass buy the Sonics with the intention of moving them. There is so much Sonic history here and it's ridiculous that Seattle won't have an NBA team.

DevinFuture
11-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I flipped on the Seattle/Phoenix game the other night. I felt bad for Seattle fans, hearing them chanting "save our sonics".

The Crippler
11-03-2007, 11:36 PM
They should call them the Oklahoma Sucks because, well, Oklahoma sucks...

Dirkenstien
11-06-2007, 09:58 AM
This is sad. IF Oklahoma wants a team then give them an expansion team but Seattle wants to keep their team in Seattle and to deny fans that because of arena arrangements is quite unfortunate.

Especially considering the hope Seattle fans appeared to have with netting Durant and Green in the draft.

dalmations202
11-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Pure blackmail, but if Seattle wanted a team, they should have voted to build a new arena.

If Dallas or Irving wanted the Cowboys, they would have voted to build a new arena.

It all comes down to $$$$ --- heck M$ could make the arena out of petty cash if that is what they desired to do- Redmond is ~20M from Seattle.

Fans can gripe all they want, but $$$ run the professional sports world. Bennetts group can't make money in that arena, so they will move to a venue where they can.

muzak
11-06-2007, 12:39 PM
They should change the team name. "Supersonics" in Oklahoma doesn't really have much brand value, and think of all the new team merchandise they could sell.

Sonic Drive-In headquarters are in OKC. perhaps they could be the OKC Sonic Drive-Ins.

j/k

MavsX
11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
its all about money...if Seattle can't support the team its their own fault.

poor people.

SeattleMavsFan
11-06-2007, 02:20 PM
the people of Seattle would pay for a new arena I'm sure if we didn't just shell out the cash for a new Mariners and a new Seahawks stadium. I don't blame some people. I'm just so mad that it just happens to be the best damn sport in the world that has to leave. I could care less if the Seahawks were here as i HATE football. I like baseball but I'd rather have the Sonics here than the Mariners. If they don't get a replacement team here, I'll be moving.

I'll be going to the Sonics/Mavs game in Janurary. I hope I can meet some Mavs...god what a dream that would be. I'll be decked out in my Mavs gear but be chanting along with everybody else to save the sonics (not that it will do any good).

Dirkenstien
11-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what is the reasoning behind needing a new arena? How is it that they cannot make money in their current Seattle arena but feel confident in their chances of making profit in a new Seattle arena? Is their current arena really in that bad of shape that fans aren't coming because of it, or is it because of the Sonics' poor play in the past few seasons? I would assume it's the latter as it is hard for me to imagine myself not going to a Mavericks game because the stadium they played in wasn't state of the art. I mean maybe if there was black mold running throughout the seats, the foundation was about to crumble because of a massive termite infestation, and the plumming was so terrible that the acrid smell of sewage was seeping up through the bathrooms and waterfountains.

If the fans just are not coming to support the team then that's one thing, but if it's a matter of either building a new arena for the heck of it or moving to a new city then that's entirely different.

SeattleMavsFan
11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
all I know if that Key Arena is not "up to NBA standards" whatever that means. It's a small and old arena. As a fan, I could care less and it's fine for me. i don't think it has to do with the fans, I think it has to do with the amenities that the players have that aren't up to par to other arenas. Frankly, they could easily upgrade Key Arena and it would be fine...in fact they did upgrade it a couple years ago. The thing is that the new owner bought the team with every single intention of moving the team to OKC. That's what he wanted to do. There are people here who will buy the team to keep it here and even pay for a new arena. But the new owner doesn't want to sell no matter what. The new owner is an asshole who has lied countless times to the media here. I wish he was never sold the team. I could go offer the new owner 500 million dollars and he still wouldn't sell, that's how much he wants to move the team out of here.

MavsX
11-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what is the reasoning behind needing a new arena? How is it that they cannot make money in their current Seattle arena but feel confident in their chances of making profit in a new Seattle arena? Is their current arena really in that bad of shape that fans aren't coming because of it, or is it because of the Sonics' poor play in the past few seasons? I would assume it's the latter as it is hard for me to imagine myself not going to a Mavericks game because the stadium they played in wasn't state of the art. I mean maybe if there was black mold running throughout the seats, the foundation was about to crumble because of a massive termite infestation, and the plumming was so terrible that the acrid smell of sewage was seeping up through the bathrooms and waterfountains.

If the fans just are not coming to support the team then that's one thing, but if it's a matter of either building a new arena for the heck of it or moving to a new city then that's entirely different.

hes got a point!,

SeattleMavsFan sucks dude..

sorry man.

horse900703
11-07-2007, 09:54 AM
thats nice~~~