PDA

View Full Version : Cracks me up...Screamin Stephen A. Smith thinks "bloggers" are the problem

dude1394
12-04-2007, 07:42 PM
http://deadspin.com/sports/crazy-but-ultimately-harmless/stephen-a-smith-imagines-a-utopian-society-without-bloggers-329632.php

Wow...He doesnt' think someone screaming at the television tube is a problem I guess. They aren't "trained experts", like me!! Rich...

It's the question that has plagued scientists for the better part of a decade: Is there life inside of Stephen A. Smith's head? It would be foolish to rule it out ... after all, life can take many forms, including the smallest of single-cell organisms. But as of now, NASA has no plans beyond sending in a tiny probe to collect rocks. Sadly, Stephen A.'s latest comments have not generated much enthusiasm for more elaborate missions.

In Part III of his interview with the Los Angeles Daily News' Tom Hofarth, Stephen A. reveals how he would fix journalism: Prevent bloggers from "disseminating information." We understand that it originally had a laugh track.

"And when you look at the internet business, what's dangerous about it is that people who are clearly unqualified get to disseminate their piece to the masses. I respect the journalism industry, and the fact of the matter is ...someone with no training should not be allowed to have any kind of format whatsoever to disseminate to the masses to the level which they can. They are not trained. Not experts."

It's true: You will not find a writer who has more respect for the journalism industry than Smith ... with the possible exception of the guy who replaced him at the Inquirer, from which Smith was dumped for not having enough respect for the journalism industry.

"Therefore, there's a total disregard, a level of wrecklessness that ends up being a domino effect. And the people who suffer are the common viewers out there and, more importantly, those in the industry who haven't been fortunate to get a radio or television deal and only rely on the written word. And now they've been sabotaged. Not because of me. Or like me. But because of the industry or the world has allowed the average joe to resemble a professional without any credentials whatsoever."

jthig32
12-04-2007, 09:07 PM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves right now. Journalists that feel so uppity and important that apparantly someone should need a license of some sort and a governing body to control who's allowed to write for mass consumption.

It is so utterly, completely ridiculous.

The best point I ever read countering the thought of the "untrained, unqualified bloggers ruining journalism" was something along the lines of this:

If people were happy with the sports journalism landscape, there would be no market for bloggers, no one looking for alternative information and opinion sources. It is because of the inadequacy and overall laziness of sports journalists (and regular journalists, I'm sure) that has opened the door for the blogging world to become legitimate.

Journalists that choose to embrace the blogging aspect I respect. Evan Grant comes to mind in this market. He happily interacts with Jamey Newberg and Adam Morris, the two prevalent Rangers bloggers.

My daily reading consists of nothing but blogs at this point. The only articles I read are ones linked by bloggers.

This stuff just hacks me off to no end.

MavsX
12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
What do you guys know?! I am Stephen A. Smith!

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2526/stephenasmithpb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

he is so effing annoying.

wesbrynt
12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
I hate that man more than I can comprehend

Knickfan
12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves right now. Journalists that feel so uppity and important that apparantly someone should need a license of some sort and a governing body to control who's allowed to write for mass consumption.

It's MY PET PEEVE TOO!!!!!!

jthig32
12-10-2007, 01:21 PM
It's MY PET PEEVE TOO!!!!!!

Well far out.

I'm glad we're in agreeance.

MavsX
01-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Last month Stephen A. Smith was all, "Bloggers are dangerous because they're unqualified, untrained, wreckless, non-expert non-professionals who are sabotaging upstanding professionals like myself." And now this month he's like "Welcome to my blog." Oh, excuse me: his online blog. It's different from those stodgy old paper-and-ink blogs.

In the first and only post so far, Stephen A. writes (not in all caps, surprisingly enough):

Happy New Year everyone. It’s the night of Jan. 2,2008...

Now would be a good time to point out that he published the post on January 14th.

I’m actually doing something I never thought I’d do in my lifetime: writing a blog. In the interest of being real, although I’ve been a journalist for more than 14 years, therefore intimately accustomed to writing, especially on the fly, I’ve never desired to have my own website, let alone write my own blog. But things change when your loved ones notice your notoriety more than you do, when they aspire for your voice to expand, when they’ve grown tired of the countless times they’ve heard critics rain venom without compunction because they sensed my voice was limited.

Anyway, he drones on and on and there's nothing particularly interesting (or, to be fair, stupid), then he ends with, "So fasten your seatbelts! Get ready for a ride!" A ride that stops immediately and doesn't move for nine days. Oh my gosh my hair's on fire! Slow this ride down!!!

Check out his blog here fellow d-m.com'ers

http://stephenablog.typepad.com/

V2M
01-24-2008, 09:50 AM
*Wreckless* bloggers are the root cause of all evils in the society... ;)

mary
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
In the interest of being real, although I’ve been a journalist for more than 14 years, therefore intimately accustomed to writing, especially on the fly, I’ve never desired to have my own website, let alone write my own blog.

I read this sentence, therefore I know, that without a doubt, Stephen A Smith, writer of this sentence, is not a very good writer, as it were.

Dr.Zoidberg
01-24-2008, 10:17 AM
I read this sentence, therefore I know, that without a doubt, Stephen A Smith, writer of this sentence, is not a very good writer, as it were.LOL

He is really fallen in love with the comma.

:D :D :D

DirkFTW
01-24-2008, 11:38 AM
He may have read some of the comments to his first post and puckered up big time.

Remember that time you said the Chargers should kick a field goal on third down because if you miss, you can just kick it again on fourth down?

That was awesome. I hope this blog is that awesome too.

Posted by: lozo | January 23, 2008 at 03:36 PM

Do you remember when you thought MLB contracts worked like NBA contracts? That was equally as awesome.

Posted by: Cheese Doodle | January 23, 2008 at 03:38 PM

LOL