PDA

View Full Version : Kenny's list of top 10 PG's

dirt_dobber
12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Floor leaders in high demand
By Kenny Smith, Yahoo! Sports
December 18, 2007
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av1Hl0Bah.NR86eds.eKjCC8vLYF?slug=ks-pointguards121807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

With the NFL playoffs nearing, it’s a natural time to remember that a great point guard is like a great quarterback. He’s the player who decides who gets the ball and when and where they get it.

A point guard isn’t measured just by his points, rebounds or assists. He is measured by his decisions.

To become a great team it’s almost imperative to have an above-average floor leader as your point guard. Yes, there are situations where this hasn’t been the case – the Chicago Bulls of Michael Jordan are one example – but there aren’t many.

Think of the great teams. The Boston Celtics with Bob Cousy, Tiny Archibald and the late Dennis Johnson. The Los Angeles Lakers with Magic Johnson. The Utah Jazz with John Stockton. The Detroit Pistons with Isiah Thomas.

Among present-day teams, the San Antonio Spurs have Tony Parker. The Phoenix Suns have Steve Nash. These guys make or break you. They can change the game with their leadership and tempo – the two components that give a team its style of play.

With that being said, let’s take a look at my top 10 point guards for this season.

1. Steve Nash: The best in the game. His ability to get the Suns into their fast-paced tempo every night is uncanny. Every team’s defensive emphasis is to slow the Suns down. Most fail. Credit Nash for that.

1a. Jason Kidd: If Nash is No. 1, Kidd is 1a. And if you put Kidd on the Suns running Mike D’Antoni’s offense, we might be calling him the best.

3. Tony Parker: Not the most dominant point guard left, but he makes the best decisions. The Spurs have become a dynasty and Parker is one of the reasons why.

4. Baron Davis: “The Body Guard” overpowers most of his peers. Davis’ ability to fuel the Golden State Warriors’ run-run-run offense puts him near the top. If his shot selection gets better he’ll move up the list.

5. Chauncey Billups: Billups is often overlooked in “best of” debates. But his leadership skills and his ability to get the Pistons into their halfcourt sets makes him a keeper for this list. Mr. Big Shot’s clutch shooting also might rank at the top of all the point guards.

6. Deron Williams: Williams leads the next generation of point guards. Jerry Sloan and the Utah Jazz's pick-and-roll offense may have helped Williams improve his decision-making more than any third-year guy around.

7. Chris Paul: The possible second coming of Isiah Thomas. Once his jump shot improves, he’ll move up the list with a bullet.

8. Andre Miller: Very underrated and underappreciated. His weight fluctuation from season to season is a knock against him. But when he’s in great shape, he’s among the better point guards.

9. T.J. Ford: His lack of size hurts and keeps him from being a better defender and having a more dominant presence on the floor.

10. Raymond Felton: My sleeper pick and a diamond in the rough. Playing with so many other young players could somewhat stunt his development. He needs a couple of fundamentally sound vets lining up next to him.

dirt_dobber
12-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I would put our own Devin Harris at 8,9 or 10 on that listing.

alby
12-19-2007, 05:02 PM
he's not a top 10 pg, but you know who is legit? calderon.

seriously, watch raptor games

Flacolaco
12-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Andre Miller?

DirkFTW
12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Maybe Kenny was on Miller Time when he wrote this.

alby
12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
You don't think Andre Miller is a top 10 pg?

me770706
12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
i would put mo williams ahead of the 8 9 and 10. and what about tinsley? also, isn't Gilbert considered a pg?

jthig32
12-19-2007, 05:13 PM
I would absolutely take Devin Harris over the last three PG's on that list, without much thought.

alby
12-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Great point with Mo Williams and Gilbert Arenas

DirkFTW
12-19-2007, 05:37 PM
What about Iverson?

Dr.Zoidberg
12-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I don´t like those damn Top 10´s.

jthig32
12-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Gilbert Arenas is a PG in name only.

me770706
12-19-2007, 05:46 PM
agreed, and that's why washington plays better when he's not playing.

ty
12-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Gilbert Arenas is a PG in name only.

Just like Iverson. And yes, Calderon is amazing.

alby
12-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Gil and AI are both pg's without a doubt. What a weird list.

DOMINATOR
12-19-2007, 06:58 PM
this list is bogus because rafer alston isn't on it.

just kidding.

DirkFTW
12-19-2007, 08:02 PM
hey, ya senor franchise is missing too

MavsX
12-20-2007, 08:23 AM
eh..at least give Devin Harris an honorable mention!

AxdemxO
12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Devin is not top 10. Miller is very underrated and probably is top 10.

DevinHarriswillstart
12-21-2007, 03:59 AM
Devin is a top 10 if Felton, Ford and Miller are.

Peoples' criticism of Harris has gotten out of hand I think. I know I am biased and I admit it but still, the kid can play. 13.6 points, 5.6 assists, 1.7 steals per game is rock solid. Just because he isn't Chris Paul, Baron Davis, Steve Nash or Jason Kidd doesn't mean he isn't something special. He makes cluch defensive AND offensive plays game after game these days. Those who watch the games start to finish know this though. Avery is tough on his pgs and that is the way it is. Look what happened to Anthony Johnson who is having a career year with Atlanta so far. I think Harris has taken all of the crap from Avery and the media like a champ.

Go Mavs.

AxdemxO
12-21-2007, 09:06 AM
I can agree with Felton maybe...soo i could go with Harris being 10th on tht list. Miller is way underrated....good passer and defender and very strong. Ford is better thn Harris by a lil bit, but it doesn't seem so because of his injuries. If Harris continues to play like this thn hes def. on that list next year.

V2M
12-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Devin is a top 10 if Felton, Ford and Miller are.

Peoples' criticism of Harris has gotten out of hand I think. I know I am biased and I admit it but still, the kid can play. 13.6 points, 5.6 assists, 1.7 steals per game is rock solid. Just because he isn't Chris Paul, Baron Davis, Steve Nash or Jason Kidd doesn't mean he isn't something special. He makes cluch defensive AND offensive plays game after game these days. Those who watch the games start to finish know this though. Avery is tough on his pgs and that is the way it is. Look what happened to Anthony Johnson who is having a career year with Atlanta so far. I think Harris has taken all of the crap from Avery and the media like a champ.

Go Mavs.

Well said. Devin's not that far off Parker. Give him consistent minutes for a full year and he'll be up there around the top 5.

dalmations202
12-21-2007, 09:48 AM
This list isn't close to my top 10, but to each his own.

I don't consider Parker to be top 3, he has Duncan and Ginobili so he always gets single coverage with no one helping out. I would put him at about 10 or so.

Arenas, Iverson, Marbury are better point guards -- but they are scoring points so I guess he didn't consider them.

IMO:
1. Nash, Kidd tied (Nash wins offensively, Kidd defensively)
3. Billups, Arenas, Iverson tie (leaders and scorers)
6. C Paul, Deron Williams tie (best youngs in the league)
8. Baron, Starbury tie (streaky amazing)
10. Parker, Harris tie (fastest PG's in the league)
12. Heinrich, Calderon, Ford, Mo Williams, Miller, Felton (solid PG's that you can win with)
18. Bibby (too much injury or he would be higher)
19. Terry, J Nelson (both are way to streaky, but will win or lose games for you)
21. <edit> Alston, Gibson (solid, but lack size etc)

I probably missed someone in here, but off the top of my head...

Best backup PG in the NBA (by far, IMO) Derek Fischer. Player than can come into a game, and impose the leadership to settle things down, and make things run smoothly. He isn't dynamic, nor particularly athletic, but he just gets the job done.

I am not trying to start a Kobe to Dallas thread, but if Dallas ever decides to trade for Kobe, I hope that Fischer is included in the deal. I give Fischer the credit for LA looking like they do this year (just his ability to get Kobe to do what he should be doing).

Dr.Zoidberg
12-21-2007, 09:57 AM
^^^ way better list!

Dtownsfinest
12-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Tony Parker and Harris are on the same category? I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but i'd have to disagree. I'd like to think Parker is who we hope Harris at some point will become. But AJ doesn't even have enough faith in him to run this offense. That's a top 10 pg? I can't really debate the names Kenny lists. I haven't seen Raymond Felton play much if it all. I agree with Andre Miller. He's one of the better pure point guards in the league. He's the definition of a point guard. Does everything well. His jumper isn't as reliable as a Nash or Billups but he's just as solid as those guys are in any other category. People have forgotten about him because he's stuck on a horrible Philly team.

Does Arenas not count because he's hurt? He's one of the better players in the league and he plays point. You can argue he's not a pure point guard but i'd have to ask how is he any different than Baron Davis?

DOMINATOR
12-23-2007, 01:43 AM
10. Parker, Harris tie (fastest PG's in the league)
12. Heinrich, Calderon, Ford, Mo Williams, Miller, Felton (solid PG's that you can win with)
harris would be lucky to be in that '12' group.
sorry you guys are being a bit homer-ish.

calderon i would move up now that Ford is out, unfortunately.
hinrich is having a horrible year so far.
marbury i would move down to Bibby level.

who is lucas?

ty
12-23-2007, 01:47 AM
who is lucas?

John Lucas III ;P

alby
12-23-2007, 02:26 AM
JJB > Lucas

DOMINATOR
12-23-2007, 12:54 PM
John Lucas III ;P
lucas isn't even in the NBA anymore.

aaron brooks will be creeping onto this list soon.

alby
12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Adam Harrington > Lucas

remember that guy on the Mavs, what a baller=]

FINtastic
12-23-2007, 01:42 PM
lucas isn't even in the NBA anymore.

aaron brooks will be creeping onto this list soon.

Now THAT'S homerish. ;)

DOMINATOR
12-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Now THAT'S homerish. ;)
yeah i know... i really like the kids game though.

dalmations202
12-23-2007, 07:39 PM
harris would be lucky to be in that '12' group.
sorry you guys are being a bit homer-ish.

calderon i would move up now that Ford is out, unfortunately.
hinrich is having a horrible year so far.
marbury i would move down to Bibby level.

who is lucas?

Everyone has their own list....I think I can give reason for all my choices, but how I weigh something might be different that how you see or weigh that skill.

I don't consider myself to be homer-ish, but if my list doesn't match with yours, then I would assume that you would consider me to be. Either way, you might feel Nash is the best in the league, and media might agree, but that doesn't make him #1 - just #1 in yours and the media's eyes.

Is Tony Parker a better PG than Nash.....he has more rings.
Is Marbury a better PG than Nash...... he usually has a higher scoring avg, and plays better D.
Is Kidd better? definately better D, and he has lead a team to the finals.
Is Deron or Paul better? your choice
What about Baron? He uses his weight to do amazing things vs some.

Also, I think Nash is probably #1 -- I just wrote this to explain how anyone can justify their pick.

My point is that just about anyone can make a list, and defend it however they want, and none are necessarily right or wrong ---- Be they Kenny or Dalm or anyone else.

<edit>
Lucas should have been Rafer Alston.......I have no clue why John Lucas was on my mind when thinking of the Rockets PG.

ty
12-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Where's Tyronne Lue?

alby
12-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Ivey > Lue

ty
12-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Jacques Vaughn?

alby
12-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Beno > Vaughn

chumdawg
12-23-2007, 10:12 PM
It's only a matter of time before JJB cracks this list.

nowhereman
12-24-2007, 02:58 AM
seriously, where's tinsley?

and what a freakin' copout with 1 and 1a. What's the point of a ranking if you don't actually rank?

alby
12-24-2007, 03:05 AM

and what a freakin' copout with 1 and 1a. What's the point of a ranking if you don't actually rank?
hehe true

fluid.forty.one
12-24-2007, 03:20 AM
i would put mo williams ahead of the 8 9 and 10. and what about tinsley? also, isn't Gilbert considered a pg?

Gilbert hasn't really played much this season.. and when he has, he's been pretty bad. He's talking about this season only I believe.

Dtownsfinest
12-25-2007, 10:39 PM

Nash is definately the best pg in the league. Maybe Kenny doesn't want to fall in bad terms with Kidd but having Kidd #2 is even generous IMO. I don't see how Chris Paul and Deron Williams haven't passed him up but Kidd does have more skins on the wall.