PDA

View Full Version : Bulls fire Scott Skiles

dirno2000
12-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Bulls coach Scott Skiles has lost his job as a result of his team's slow start.

The Bulls have lost three of their last four games and were booed throughout Saturday's home loss to the Rockets. Despite high expectations, the Bulls (9-16) have the third worst record in the Eastern Conference.

"This was a difficult decision to make, but one that was necessary at this time," general manager John Paxson said in a statement Monday. "Scott helped us in many ways during his time with the Bulls; most importantly, he helped this franchise get back to respectability. I am appreciative of his hard work and the imprint that he left on our team."

The Bulls said no decision has been made on a replacement for Skiles.

Ben Wallace said Saturday he would welcome personnel changes if it would help the club.

"That's one of those things that goes along with this league," said Wallace. "Change is not always bad. If everybody wants to be here we have to step it up and go out there and play basketball."

antoinewalker
12-24-2007, 12:57 PM
that was fast.

Stylistic
12-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Merry Christmas Scott Skiles. Got your pink slip on Christmas Eve. Talk about the timing.

me770706
12-24-2007, 02:12 PM
yeah that's rough, i can't remember the last time a coach got axed so early

dude1394
12-24-2007, 02:44 PM
He looks to be a failure. Anyone that would have a headband-ban is going to have a pretty tough time of it.

But paxson appears to be the bigger problem for the franchise. They had set themselves up with the tear-down and the rookies, then he let's chandler go and hires wallace.

They are screwed.

skylive321
12-24-2007, 02:49 PM
desperate times.. even more desperate measures

alby
12-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Skiles is jobless for Christmas, while Isiah still has a job.

DOMINATOR
12-24-2007, 05:12 PM
only a matter of time.
front office should be fired too.

MavsFanFinley
12-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Nice timing.

A change was needed. I don't think they need to stop at coach either.

What coaches are available? I know Jeff Van Gundy and Larry Brown. I can see JVG going there.

ty
12-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Skiles is jobless for Christmas, while Isiah still has a job.

Who woulda thought...

alby
12-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Houston should be the team wanting JVG ;)

ty
12-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Add Scott Skiles to our assistant coach arsenal?

Tokey41
12-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Nice timing.

A change was needed. I don't think they need to stop at coach either.

What coaches are available? I know Jeff Van Gundy and Larry Brown. I can see JVG going there.

And Rick Carlisle. He would be my first choice on available coaches.

FiZth
12-25-2007, 08:20 AM
also Doug Collins, Mike Fratello, Paul Silas but Bulls don't have history of signing some big time coach. I think some Bulls assistant coach will take over and next season they are going to go after some young coach. Former Bulls player Norm Van Lier even said on ESPN radio that he would like to coach Bulls and that he's wanted to come back in the NBA for years. But I hope they don't go after Del Harris.

Underdog
12-25-2007, 10:46 AM
knock-knock

Who's there?

You're f*cking fired! Merry Christmas...

MavsFanFinley
12-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Rick Carlisle (I can't believe I forgot him) is who I'd be calling right now.

Jack.Kerr
12-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Rick Carlisle (I can't believe I forgot him) is who I'd be calling right now.

Not so sure. Carlisle is reported to've had the same personality clashes with his players in Detroit and Indiana that Skiles has had with the current group. Plus, Carlisle already had one go-around with Ben Wallace in Detroit. Carlisle definitely has some coaching ability, but I'm not sure the current situation with the Bulls is the right one for him.

I think Paxton wants to take the job, but he'll be gone within six months either way.

Thespiralgoeson
12-26-2007, 12:04 AM
And Rick Carlisle. He would be my first choice on available coaches.

I hope Carlisle doesn't get a job before next year, so if Avery screws us over in the playoffs again, we can get him.

Jack.Kerr
01-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Pip squeaks.

Pippen rippin' on Bulls

Former Bulls star Scottie Pippen probably isn't too impressed with Jim Boylan's 3-2 start as interim coach. Just days after the Bulls promoted the 14-year assistant to replace the fired Scott Skiles, Pippen blasted the decision. The guy they should have hired, according to Pippen, was ... Pippen.

"What's the key to this good ol' boy system they have?" Pippen told the Chicago Tribune. "You've got to go to Europe and coach two years? Sit next to someone for a year? And then looking at someone like me and trying to figure out how your team did it, how you got there every time? Guys like Skiles have never been there. Can he give a motivation speech like someone who's been in those games? I've played for championships."

Pippen clearly sees himself as ready to take over an NBA team. Apparently the fact that he has no actual coaching experience doesn't matter. Nor does he see any problem with the fact that as a free-agent signee of the Bulls in 2003 (signed by GM John Paxson to a mid-level deal, in part to provide leadership to the young Bulls) he shut it down after Bill Cartwright was fired and replaced by Skiles.

"I didn't come there to play for Skiles," Pippen told the Tribune. "I didn't like him, didn't like him as a player."

Pippen went on to provide a highly critical evaluation of the Bulls' roster. Of Ben Gordon, he said: "It's his shot selection. ... He's out there shooting for a contract." Of Ben Wallace, he said: "I'd say I need more effort from him." Of Kirk Hinrich, he said: He's not that talented. Let him run the offense. But you can't have midgets running your backcourt. Little guards always put you in a vulnerable position."

The next day at practice, the Bulls shrugged off Pippen's comments. There wasn't even a mention of his infamous sit-down strike with 1.8 seconds left in a playoff game.

Pippen might be correct about the old-boy's network too often at play in coaching hirings, but one has to wonder what he was thinking with these comments. For one, guys like Boylan, who have paid their dues, deserve a chance, too. For another, criticizing Bulls management and ripping the current players doesn't seem like a good way to get hired for the job.

Underdog
01-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I can't disagree with Pippen's opinions, but the one thing that every head coach must bring to the table is "professionalism"... Coaching takes a healthy amount of tact, which Pippen clearly lacks (although the one team in the NBA that seemingly doesn't give a damn about that might be hiring soon - the Knicks...)

MavsX
01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
wow!, now that guy got canned!

horse900703
01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
i wonder y bulls doing so bad this season~~