PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign DerMarr Johnson

MavsFanFinley
12-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Spurs sign G Johnson

December 29, 2007

SAN ANTONIO (TICKER) -- The San Antonio Spurs on Saturday signed guard DerMarr Johnson.

Terms were not disclosed.

The 6-9 Johnson has played for three teams - Atlanta, New York and Denver - during his seven-year NBA career. He has appeared in 339 games, averaging 6.2 points and 2.3 rebounds in 17.4 minutes.

Johnson, 27, started the 2007-08 season with the Austin Toros, the Spurs' affiliate in the D-League. In 10 games with the Toros, Johnson averaged 15.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 33.9 minutes.

In a corresponding move, the Spurs waived guard Marcus Williams three days after signing him. He appeared in one game with the Spurs, logging two scoreless minutes in Wednesday's 94-79 win over the Chicago Bulls.

Johnson likely will see playing time as a reserve for the Spurs, who are without injured guards Manu Ginobili (sprained finger) and Brent Barry (torn calf muscle).

alby
12-29-2007, 01:40 PM
They are really shuffling the end of the bench with Manu out, aren't they

Dirkadirkastan
12-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't really like the Spurs all that much.

LonghornDub
12-29-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't really like the Spurs all that much.

How come dude? They are the "classiest organization in the NBA". At least that's what all the folks down in San Antonio told me.

Say, is part of being classy constantly blabbering about how classy you are?

MavsFanFinley
12-29-2007, 06:31 PM
They are really shuffling the end of the bench with Manu out, aren't they

Strange isn't it? I know they (along with the rest of the league) have till January 10th to fool around with these end of bench guys before they guarantee them but it's strange they are shuffling them like this.

Reading spurstalk it sounds like they wanted to sign Langford over Williams first but he had a staph infection that delayed that signing. A lot of those fans don't think Langford is the answer for the combo guard position behind Parker and Finley while Ginobli and Barry are out but if nothing else he knows the system because the Spurs own the Toros and he was in there training camp this year.

Johnson showed promise early on but got shuffled around while not doing much. He's played well in the developement league and I'm surprised the Spurs didn't sign him as a long 3 option before now.

Looking at the SA Express, the Spurs can keep one of these guys without going over the LT. No telling whether they'll keep either one. Makes me also wonder if Ginobli is expected to be out 2 weeks like Barry or longer? I don't see them making a trade at all.

Thespiralgoeson
12-29-2007, 07:46 PM
What the hell kind of name is DerMarr?

horse900703
01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
is he good???

horse900703
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM
dont really know him

nashtymavsfan13
01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
*yawn*