PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody see time run out on Charlotte/Orlando???

Rhylan
04-27-2002, 02:05 PM
Oh my God.

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE call by Bernie Fryar. I'm speechless. I can't believe it.

Lvubun1
04-27-2002, 02:08 PM
Maybe the worst call I have ever seen.

MavsFanFinley
04-27-2002, 02:36 PM
Missed the game. What happened?

DTL
04-27-2002, 03:16 PM
What happened? Baron Davis hit a jumper with 0.02 left to break the tie, but it was waved off. Fortunately the Hornets won in overtime.

According to Peter Vescey, the ref -- Bernie Fryer -- said he wasn't going to allow a "cath-and-shoot" even before the ball was inbounded! What the heck! This guy has got to be fired and never allowed to referee in the NBA or any professional league for the rest of his life! How can you decide what you're going to call even before the play!!!!

Rhylan
04-27-2002, 03:23 PM
That's PATHETIC. I was so miffed I didn't even watch OT. A catch-and-shoot is supposed to be allowed as long as there are at least 0.3 seconds on the clock. Somebody had better take Fryar to task on this.

If I didn't like the sport so much, I'd never go to or watch another game.

edit...my bad, is it Freyer or Fryar? I don't want to know. It's Mud right now anyways.

DTL
04-27-2002, 03:30 PM
According to AP, it's Fryer. My bad for the typo earlier.

There was 0.7 seconds left, so the catch-and-shoot should definitely have been allowed.

Murphy3
04-27-2002, 04:42 PM
the nba, tnt, nbc..all of these groups need to get control of their officiating and announcer/analyst situations..

Rhylan
04-27-2002, 04:56 PM
The powers that be just want to see Orlando do well. You know, T-Mac. You gotta have a cool nickname like that to be one of the anointed.

Early reports are saying that ABC's coverage next year will be exclusively referring to the sport as "B-Bask."

Drbio
04-27-2002, 06:59 PM
taht was an awful call....one of the worst in the league all year.

DTL
04-27-2002, 09:12 PM
From AP:

But almost as soon as Davis released the ball, official Bernie Fryer began waving his arms and shouting that the shot was no good.

Fryer said that during the timeout preceding the shot, the officiating crew discussed what a player would be allowed to do -- and that a catch-turn-release sequence wasn't going to count.

"He had to cock to get a 3-pointer up to get muscle behind it," Fryer said. "And I said you can't do that in seven-tenths."

That reasoning worked for Orlando coach Doc Rivers, who admitted the first thought the game was over when Davis' shot found the mark.

"When you think about it, it is impossible to catch, turn, jump and shoot in .7 seconds, and that's basically what Bernie Fryer said right away," Rivers said.

The clock, Fryer added, is merely used to supplement an official's call in that situation.

"You can rely on the clock, but I'm going to rely on my judgment on how long it takes him to get the shot off," he said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Why then do NBA employ so many fricking extra people to run the game and shot clocks? Why do we need three refs on the floor? Why don't we just assign one Bernie Fryer to each game and let him make whatever calls he thinks appropriate in any given situation? Why don't we just make the team captain flip coins at the start of each game to determine possession? Why don't they just fold the whole stupid league?

I'm so disgusted. This is simply outrageous!

Hoopsmeister
04-27-2002, 09:59 PM
The rule book says it takes 3/10ths of a second for a catch and shoot, but Fryer, after, I'm sure, extensive stop-motion studies, determined on his own that catch and shoot 3-pointer takes at least 8/10ths of a second?

TNT reported that Stu Jackson confirmed to them that 'yes it was an error.' One wonders what they will do. If Fryer refs another playoff game this year, it'll show that the NBA office doesn't really care if the refs screw up or not.

MavsFanFinley
04-28-2002, 01:23 AM
Finally saw replays and can understand what all the upset is about. BAD call and the Hornets are lucky they came away with a win in OT.

Hales233
04-28-2002, 07:05 AM
The NBA is so fixed it's not even funny... what a joke!

DTL
04-30-2002, 01:36 AM
Official Bernie Fryer, already in the frying pan for waving off Davis' 3-pointer that should have won Saturday's game in regulation, called a horrible technical foul on the Pistons' Jon Barry on Monday night. Barry, who had fouled Jerome Williams, hustled over to Fryer and handed him the ball. Fryer took offense and whistled a technical, when Barry only did it to get off the court to tie his shoe that had fallen off. link (http://www.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,5289456,00.html)

This man is out of control!