PDA

View Full Version : Andre Iguodala doesnt extend with the sixers

skylive321
01-08-2008, 11:02 PM
PHILADELPHIA -- Andre Iguodala's next contract will have to wait until the summer.

The Philadelphia 76ers and Iguodala failed to reach a contract extension by the Oct. 31 deadline that could have extended the rising star up to five more seasons after this one. Now, Iguodala and the Sixers must wait until July 1 to reopen negotiations, at which point Philadelphia will hold a right of first refusal on any offer from another team.

"We were close, but we could not close the final gap," Sixers president Billy King said in an e-mail shortly after the midnight deadline. "I felt we had great discussions on Sunday in person. Unfortunately, we could not get it done."

King met personally with Iguodala's agent, Rob Pelinka, to try and broker a deal for the fourth-year swingman. Iguodala, who scored 23 points in Philadelphia's season-opening 106-97 loss at Toronto. said during training camp that he wants to remain with the team that made him the ninth overall pick in the 2004 draft.

"This is where I want to be," Iguodala said in October. "If it happens, then great. If it doesn't, I've still got to go out and play ball."

Iguodala's game rose like one of his flashy dunks last season once the Sixers traded Allen Iverson, and he averaged a career-best 18.2 points. He played in all 82 games his first two years in the league and 76 last season. King wrote he did not expect the broken-off contract talks to affect the laid-back Iguodala's performance.

"Andre throughout the negotiations said the talks would not stop him from going out and playing hard for the fans of Philadelphia," King said. "His play tonight proves that."

Iguodala appears poised to break through into an All-Star, even though the Sixers are widely picked to finish last in the Eastern Conference. King has positioned the Sixers into a three-year rebuilding plan and keeping Iguodala is a big part of a process that he hopes has the franchise contending in the East by the end of the decade.

"Signing him next summer is priority number one," King said.

MavsX
01-09-2008, 12:28 AM
pick 'em up cuban!

antoinewalker
01-09-2008, 01:19 AM
he will be commanding a good amount of money come next summer.

me770706
01-09-2008, 03:56 AM
i love this guy, he plays great defense and is developing his offensive game. i think he would benefit from having talent around him. i would love to replace terry/stackhouse for iguodala

StackAttack
01-09-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm confused what the news is here.

MavsFanFinley
01-09-2008, 11:16 AM
I'd be surprised if the Sixers do not match any offer he gets in the summer.

DelNegro
01-09-2008, 12:15 PM
I'd be surprised if the Sixers do not match any offer he gets in the summer.

Agreed. Teams have figured out that restricted free agents often get squeezed so unless you've got a Dwight Howard on your hands why commit to a huge contract extension without seeing if the restricted free agent market will allow you to keep him cheaper?

horse900703
01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
pick 'em up cuban!
ya!! we need him!!

skylive321
01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm confused what the news is here.
I think it's because Iguodala, a player who we can all agree is somewhat of a rising star, refuse a somewhat large chunk of money to return to a sub-par team. I really think ultimately he will resign with them for an even larger sum. I believe they first offered somewhere in the $50mil range. He wants to shop around and see which contending team will be willing to offer crazy amounts for him. or better yet do a sign and trade for him. The problem is, contending teams don't have the cap room, and will have to trade a good player for him. I am curious to see how this unfolds after this season.

jthig32
01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
I think it's because Iguodala, a player who we can all agree is somewhat of a rising star, refuse a somewhat large chunk of money to return to a sub-par team. I really think ultimately he will resign with them for an even larger sum. I believe they first offered somewhere in the $50mil range. He wants to shop around and see which contending team will be willing to offer crazy amounts for him. or better yet do a sign and trade for him. The problem is, contending teams don't have the cap room, and will have to trade a good player for him. I am curious to see how this unfolds after this season.

I think his confusion centers around the fact that you posted a 3 month old article as "news".

DelNegro
01-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Billy King no longer views signing Iguodala as his top priority for next summer.

jthig32
01-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Billy King no longer views signing Iguodala as his top priority for next summer.

Now THAT'S funny.

sike
01-09-2008, 06:02 PM
well played