PDA

View Full Version : The end of the 5 game series???

MFFL
04-27-2002, 06:55 PM
The player's association doesn't like it (http://www.projo.com/celtics/content/projo_20020426_26celtsjo.95f6c.html)

Stern, O'Brien want no more best-of-5 series
04/26/2002
BY KEVIN McNAMARA
Journal Sports Writer

BOSTON -- NBA commissioner David Stern said he'd like to see the end of the best-of-five playoff series. Convincing the players to put it on the line a few more times a year is another matter.

Stern was at the FleetCenter last night and he agreed with Celtic coach Jim O'Brien in a desire to extend all the NBA's playoff rounds to best-of-seven events.

"I've been opposed to it mainly because a one versus eight matchup could be a 4-0 sweep," he said, "but with the competitiveness of the series now, we do want to go from 5 to 7. We've promised to use our best effort with the Player's Association."

[b]Stern said the reception from players' union head Billy Hunter has so far been cool.

"Billy has said the players aren't there yet," said Stern. "He said the players will take some convincing."

The Celtics were trying to avoid being the fifth team (out of eight first-round series) to blow home-court advantage in the best-of-five first round. The others are New Jersey, Charlotte, Sacramento and San Antonio, all of whom failed to sweep the first two games of their series at home.

"I think it's a big difference, a dramatic difference," Celtic coach O'Brien said of coaching a five-game series, versus the seven games of future rounds. "I belive the NBA is going to go to seven games in the first round in the future, and I think they should. Five-game series are too short to put a lot into the year in getting to the playoffs. I think a seven-game series really proves who is the better basketball team. You can get caught in a five-game series."

Drbio
04-27-2002, 07:05 PM
I don't have a problem with the best of 5 format. I think it makes for exciting basketball. I understand the argument that you play an entire year to get swept by a #8 team and that's not fair...but to me, that argument doesn't hold water. This is the NBA playoffs. If they can't motivate themselves to play a best of 5 something is wrong. The owners want a best of 7 for one reason....more money. If they go to 7 games, they will get the gate, portions of the tv revenue, etc. It's a money issue.