PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Garnett- Goat or just not enough additional fire power?

ReggieThetaChi
04-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Alright fellas. An interesting thought in my head has risen. Barkley and company have pinpointed K.G. as one of (if not the main) reasons that the TWovles falter in the playoffs. Now, in my mind, 21-12-6 are pretty solid numbers. There isn't much more a person can do without posting Jordan or Wilt like numbers (which I don't think KG can do). So, where do they, they being the front office for Minnesota, go for help?

What I am getting at, in a round about way, is this- Is Barkley and his cronies right, or do they need to lay off a very talented yet overwhelmed player?

MavsFanFinley
04-28-2002, 10:49 PM
I agreed with Danny Ainge when he had this argument with Magic.

Does the ball need to be in KG's hands down the stretch? Absolutely. He's there best offensive weapon. If he can't get something for himself, then he's going to open up something for his teamates.

IMO, he doesn't have another player on that team that can take a game over or command a double-team like KG does. Maybe Wally to an extent, but he's not enough. They need another star on that team that can help shoulder some of the load.

I honestly don't think he has enough talent around him and gets a bit too much criticism.

DTL
04-29-2002, 12:28 AM
<< a very talented yet overwhelmed player? >>

that's well put. KG definitely needs help.

but all this crap about KG not doing enough to carry the team is just another example of the national media's total lack of respect for the Dallas Mavericks. they're basically saying, &quot;How can a superstar like KG and his team NOT beat the upstart, fun-yet-defensively-challenged Mavericks in the supposedly-slowed-down-and-half-court-oriented playoffs? The Mavs aren't really that good, so something must be wrong with KG and the Wolves.&quot;

Well, guess what, this bunch of Mavs might just be the real thing! It's possible the Wolves will have just have to play the Blazers to the Mavs' Lakers for years to come. Sorry, KG.

ReggieThetaChi
04-29-2002, 12:47 AM
I dig that comment about people not wanting to respect the Mavericks. We have to remember that Los Angeles is still the darling of the media, simply because they have the most powerful (I insist on that because I feel that Iverson is the best) player and what they deem is the Jordan re-incarnate. The media doesn't want to accept the Mavs as a contender because we're not the big draw for their networks. They'll change their tunes once people see the eleventy-billion to nine-hundred kabillion average scores of the Sac-Dallas series, because that'll get the ratings.

In a less than glamerous way, I have basically said that people don't respect us because of the Shaq-coast bias. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, and if you know where eleventy-billion came from, than you too are a SNL connisuer.

TheKid
04-29-2002, 09:19 AM
Well yesterday KG was in foul trouble too so he spent more time on the bench in an elimination game that he would not normally spend on the bench but the owner of the Wolves said, after this year there are going to be some MAJOR changes on that team. I expect a firesale to happen this summer.

dallmav
04-29-2002, 09:46 AM
Hey kid,
I hate to tell you but the wolves couldnt have a fire sell if they wanted to for the simple fact that they are way over the cap due to Garnetts far out salary. No one wants the players that they have. They cant even sign a big name player in free agency. So the fire sell, just isn't going to happen. They are just going to continue to be first round knock out wonders. NO first round draft picks for the next 2 to 3 years either.

Drbio
04-29-2002, 09:49 AM
KG is underappreciated and toils with Wally on that team. They need another player or two. Remember, we have a &quot;Big 5&quot; now.

I love the Shaq-coast bias comment. So true....so true.

The Mavs, like the Rangers and Cowboys, will only get national airtime and respect if they win. There is a east coast bias and in the NBA a west coast bias that pervades the national media. It isn't cool to like the Mavs. I guess I just have to settle for being uncool.

eleventy-billion....LOL

MFFL
04-29-2002, 02:37 PM
I don't think the networks have a bias except for winners. The Lakers are winners, thus the networks love them. The Cowboys and 49ers are winners, again to much love by the networks. Same with the Yankees and the Dodgers. When Green Bay was winning they were loved by the networks and they are the smallest possible local audience.

TheKid
04-29-2002, 03:06 PM
Well they could do what Kiki is doing up in Denver. Since this &quot;core&quot; team has done nothing (well they still don't have a consistent core) they could essentially start trading players that will have contracts expiring at the end of this year. That way at the end of the year, they will be under the cap significantly. They're not going to do anything next year anyways, so they mine as well start the rebuilding process while Garnett is still young.

Hoopsmeister
04-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Part of the problem is what KG makes. He takes up something like half of the salary cap all by himself. It would be very hard for them to scrape together enough players to trade for ending contracts worth enough to get them under the cap. Without trading KG, I&quot;m not sure they can do it. And without their lottery picks, it is very hard for them to get cheap talent.

TheKid
04-29-2002, 03:52 PM
I see what you're saying, I guess I'm looking at if they decided to take a hit against the cap for ONE year, they could be alright considering when they get any draft picks they don't have to guarantee any money for the next few seasons because they don't have a first round draft pick.

It would be tough to do, but they need to do something.

DTL
04-29-2002, 04:44 PM
<< KG is underappreciated and toils with Wally on that team. They need another player. >>

If they can keep Wally and Billups next year, those two and KG could develop into their own Big Three. If Billups can be more consistent, he should be much more valuable than Brandon. (BTW, is Brandon coming back?) And even though I just plain despise Wally (for no real goo reason, I have to admit), he's got a decent shot. So long he can get his mind around the fact that he may be an All-Star but he'll probably never be MVP, he can settle into a fine role on that team.