PDA

View Full Version : Yao out for season with stress fracture

AstroRocket
02-26-2008, 01:20 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5571212.html

Yao out for season with stress fracture

Houston Rockets center Yao Ming will be out the rest of the season and post-season with a stress fracture in his sore left foot.

Yao was examined after Monday’s practice at Memorial Hermann Hospital and met Rockets team physician Dr. Tom Clanton to go over the test results.

The Rockets plan to announce a diagnosis Tuesday afternoon.

The Rockets have won 12 consecutive games since losing the one game Yao has missed this season.

---------

I hate basketball and life now. :(

Flacolaco
02-26-2008, 01:22 PM
It is inconceivable how the same two people on the same team could ever be injured more....

Is this for real? This can't be for real.

MavsX
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3265631

Yao Ming's season reportedly is over.

Yao Ming

Yao

KRIV-TV in Houston and The Houston Chronicle are reporting that Yao has a stress fracture in his left foot and the Rockets are expected to announce he will have season-ending surgery later Tuesday.

Houston, currently on a 12-game winning streak, is in fourth place in the Southwest Division. The streak followed a loss in the one game that Yao has missed all season.

Yao is averaging 22.0 points and 10.8 rebounds in 55 games this season.

Janett_Reno
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
The season is over for Houston. That is a serious bad blow. Look at this winning streak and now they could have gone from winning the west to not even making the playoffs. Really sad for them. To see how important a big man is, now watch the record of the Rockets without Ming. You will see a big drop off. That is really bad luck.

endrity
02-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Bad news, I really like Yao. with his big body, these injuries will only pile up. Denver is smiling now.

nikeball
02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Sucks for Yao. He is the only player on the Rockets I like. He is what is great about the NBA. If any of y'all read his biography "YAO"..he is a funny guy.

But yeah. Rockets still suck.

Kirobaito
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
And God intervenes once again to make sure that the Rockets are put in their place.

rabbitproof
02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
That sucks. Yao is one of the good guys in the league.

Lucky GS/Denver.

Janett_Reno
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
I agree as Denver is smilling now. In the past, gs, denver and houston fades at the end of the season but i must admit all three ae stacked with talent. It was going to be tough on someone at the 9th spot not making the playoffs. It was going to be a very good team to not get in. I see Houson not making it now. This win streak was very impressive.

Dirkenstien
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM
This does really hurt Houston. I feel bad for Ming because he seems like a good guy but this makes things a little easier in the West.

I think this pretty much rules out Houston for Barry.

Does this mean we will have competition for Magloire now?

EricaLubarsky
02-26-2008, 01:35 PM

yup. The good players off waivers have immediately dried up for the Rockets.

Janett_Reno
02-26-2008, 01:40 PM
I didn't think of that but yes Houston should do all they could to get Magloire now. I someway feel like Magloire made a deal with Nets/Mavs with the Kidd trade but we will see. I know it is teams trying to get him also and you know Houston is trying to salvage the season with a big man and fast. That could come into play with Magloire/Houston.

I am also listening up for where Barry picks today. Celts, Mavs, Phx, Spurs. Even our name is in the hat with Cassell. Very intersting today and before March 1st to see what happens with some of these final pieces, on where they go.

LonghornDub
02-26-2008, 01:40 PM
I feel bad for Yao cause he's a good guy.

endrity
02-26-2008, 01:41 PM
This does really hurt Houston. I feel bad for Ming because he seems like a good guy but this makes things a little easier in the West.

Does this mean we will have competition for Magloire now?

No, Magloire was not coming here for the minutes. He was going to be a backup here anyway. This changes nothing.

Thespiralgoeson
02-26-2008, 01:44 PM
And God intervenes once again to make sure that the Rockets are put in their place.

That's exactly what I thought when I found out about this. "Of course Yao's out for the season," I thought "because otherwise, Houston would be good."

snoop
02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
that man just has bad wheels he is a 7'5 Samaki Walker

nikeball
02-26-2008, 01:50 PM
that man just has bad wheels he is a 7'5 Samaki Walker

wtf? When was samaki walker ever an all-star? or average 20 & 10.

Jack.Kerr
02-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Damn, that sux. Yao is fun to watch, now that he knows what he's doing.

That's bad for the league too--the NBA needs matchups like Yao-Shaq and Yao-Duncan. Needs good teams, and good playoff series.

I wish he could stay healthy.

BigD
02-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Man that stinks for Houston. I hate to see this happen to such a good player and good person. He's really coming along and I'm sure he'll be back strong next year. Yao's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Thespiralgoeson
02-26-2008, 02:00 PM
wtf? When was samaki walker ever an all-star? or average 20 & 10.

I don't think he's equating them as players. I think he just means Yao is very injury prone.

dirt_dobber
02-26-2008, 02:02 PM
I wish we (Mavs) could hurry and sign Magloire now.

He will be a backup here playing with Kidd though, and will probably play 15 min a game.

In Houston he could get 38min a game to prove he still has something for the next contract.

antoinewalker
02-26-2008, 02:08 PM
we'll see how far tmac can carry the rockets now.

DOMINATOR
02-26-2008, 02:09 PM
this f*ckin sucks

Dtownsfinest
02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
SMH. I hate to hear this news. I've never seen a bunch of guys any softer than Yao and T-Mac. T-Mac is made of cotton candy and Yao is made of charmin. Its ridiculous how these guys get hurt.Its rare for a superstar to be so injury prone and the Rockets manage to have the two only superstars that are injury prone. They're the only superstars who get hurt continously.

Bookit
02-26-2008, 02:23 PM
That is a shame but they will still make the playoffs even without Yao imo. Adelman is a good coach and they are just now picking up his system. They will find a way.

Flacolaco
02-26-2008, 02:26 PM
we'll see how far tmac can carry the rockets now.

I'm guessing about April 29th. Or game 6 of their first round series. Whichever is first.

dude1394
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
That is a shame but they will still make the playoffs even without Yao imo. Adelman is a good coach and they are just now picking up his system. They will find a way.

No stinkin' way they'll make it now. Denver just got a huge reprieve...

Janett_Reno
02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
If Houston makes the playoffs, which team doesn't make it, Mavs, Nugs, Warriors, Suns, Jazz, Hornets?

dude1394
02-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Denver was fading and going out until this happened.

Flacolaco
02-26-2008, 02:31 PM
What you guys are saying about the playoffs is illuminating. I haven't looked at the standings in a month, and I'm completely serious. There just doesn't seem to be a point yet. Especiallyin the West. It makes me crazy.

Janett_Reno
02-26-2008, 02:33 PM
I feel Houston does not make it. Houston has a big advantage playing, starting and going to a man that is tall as the goal and has a beautiful soft touch. I am amazed they just now have found out how to go to him and also i know he has gotten tougher as he was very soft.

If Houston did make it, i would guess maybe Denver, GS but again both these teams are loaded with talent. New Orleans is a surprise but they are good. All these teams are so good and talented, i can't see Houston making it without a guy like Ming. He is huge for Houston.

LonghornDub
02-26-2008, 02:35 PM

Adelman is very mediocre. Where is anyone getting the idea that he's a good coach?

Underdog
02-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Well, there's always next season...

(which seems to be the story every season for Houston!)

antoinewalker
02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, there's always next season...

(which seems to be the story every season for Houston!)
that seems to be the story every season for the mavericks as well. :(

dirno2000
02-26-2008, 02:53 PM
I feel bad for Rockets fans. The only thing you can hope for as a fan is a chance for your team to compete.

That being said, injury prone players tend to get injured and it's clear at this point that both Yao and T-Mac are injury prone. It's probably time to try to move one of them. Preferably T-Mac.

You have to wonder if Yao is being worn down by being pressured (forced?) to play year around. That’s a lot of wear and tear on a 7’5 300 pound frame.

DOMINATOR
02-26-2008, 02:59 PM
You have to wonder if Yao is being worn down by being pressured (forced?) to play year around. That’s a lot of wear and tear on a 7’5 300 pound frame.
yep and china is going to force Yao to rush back from this injury and play in the Olympics.

Bookit
02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Adelman is very mediocre. Where is anyone getting the idea that he's a good coach?

He has won everywhere he has gone. Where is anybody getting the idea that he is mediocre?

Flacolaco
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
yep and china is going to force Yao to rush back from this injury and play in the Olympics.

Good point.

Stupid commies.

fluid.forty.one
02-26-2008, 03:26 PM
This should remind us how ridiculously lucky we are with the lack of huge injuries to our star players (knock on wood). I hope Yao comes back at full strength next year.

LonghornDub
02-26-2008, 03:55 PM
He has won everywhere he has gone. Where is anybody getting the idea that he is mediocre?

He "won" in Sac with a ridiculous roster, never getting to the Finals. He helped choke away the Blazers few chance in the early 90's. I lived up there back then--I remember the sentiment. Nobody liked him as a coach.

He's mediocre.

Janett_Reno
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
I am not sure how good a coach he is but to me he seems good this year. 12 game winning streak and a record of 36-20.

It would be a dream come true to coach an 8 feet guy with so much talent and another guy almost 7 feet that can play guard or forward. Both so talented. I know both have had injury problems and i know now they have a good bench. What gets me, why coaches in the past couldn't make Houston play to there strengths and dominate teams. Now could have Adelman kept up what was going on in Houston and them winning? I am not sure but yes i am impressed with what he has done the last month or so. They need to grab an emergency center fast and any other year they should have made the playoffs, without Ming but this year it is just to many good teams in the west and Ming is a major blow.

Now teams will make Houston a bombing team again and this is where they are not to good. Just standing still bombing away. I won't argue that Adelman has done a heck of a job, so far i agree he has.

GuerillaBlack
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
It completely sucks to hear this, but the Rockets season still isn't over. We will miss Yao though.

Bookit
02-26-2008, 04:23 PM
He "won" in Sac with a ridiculous roster, never getting to the Finals. He helped choke away the Blazers few chance in the early 90's. I lived up there back then--I remember the sentiment. Nobody liked him as a coach.

He's mediocre.

Adelman is a good coach. He took the Blazers to the Finals twice and to the WCF once. Then he took the Kings to farther than ever before. I guess a team has a "rediculous roster" when the coach is mediocre? Come on. He is a good coach and as soon as the players in Houston pick up his system they will be a very good team. But you can always say that Houston has a "rediculous roster" after the fact.

MavsFanFinley
02-26-2008, 04:23 PM
What a blow to the Rockets.

Janett_Reno
02-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Scola at 6'9" will have to play his heart out at center. This is a major task at 6'9". That is like making Bass our center. Mutombo is 7'2" and maybe 50 years old. I haven't seen him play in a year or two. I doubt he can do much anymore but i might be wrong. He was never to good on offense but great on defense in his prime but he is old.

Magloire is also a defensive center. He can score a little but he plays solid defense. Houston does not have many choices for a center but imo they need one very bad and very fast. I am not saying Scola, Kurt Thomas and Bass are bad but at 6'9" they are small at center in the nba. Ming's size can't be matched by 6'9" guys.

TripleDipping
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Adelman should go small ball the rest of the season and see where that leads the team. He's very good at run and gun so might as well.

purplefrog
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Sorry to hear about this. Here's to hoping Yao can come back at full strength next year.

sike
02-26-2008, 04:56 PM
that blows for the Rockets....

bernardos70
02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I really like Yao. But I don't care for the rest of the team. What sucks is the rockettes fans will all be like "oh, the only reason you won is because Yao wasn't in" or "we didn't make the playoffs because Yao is out" blah blah. At one point, you just have to accept that certain players have certain flaws. Yao's injury proneness is one. Just live with it. Much like we have to deal with Terry's shooting streakiness, or J.Ho's ball stopping, or Juwan's overall suckiness.

Spurs Fan
02-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I was thinking about this on the way home from work today (it's an hours drive, so I had plenty of time). I've tried to imagine what I would be feeling if Duncan was out for the season, as well as the post-season, this year. I remember back in 2000 when Duncan was out, and I was devastated. Hell, I remember when the Admiral was out (the year we tanked, of course).

Man, I feel terrible for Rocket's fans. What a blow. Best of luck to Yao. I've always liked him.

bernardos70
02-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Tell you what. We'll trade Malik Allen and Devean George (if he accepts) for the injured Yao. At least you can be sure one of those guys will be healthy at any given time.

Janett_Reno
02-26-2008, 06:05 PM
SpursFan, i agree that any of the big men out for any of these playoff teams would kill them. Teams have to double Duncan all game and series long but i do see a positive with your Spurs. Pops use to have to control Ginobili and tone down his talent some. The same as Avery felt he had to do with Harris because off turn overs and maybe getting out of control. When Parker was hurt and even as he has came back, Ginobili has been going off like a bottle rocket.

He had a bad game last night but Pops and the team is making him very dangerous to all teams in the nba and unleashing his talent big time. Duncan you must have to get those paint points and inside scorring and Duncan is great but now your team can win without Duncan having a great game. It is alot easier but Gino has gotten really good.

I hoped Josh Howard had matured and i do think he is such a good to great talent but what Pops did to Gino, Avery is going to have to do with Howard. He is like LaFrentz when Nelson wanted him to be our inside man, paint points, rebounds and tough man inside. He went to thr 3 point line every single time down and bombed away wanting to be Dirk, Finley and Nash and he killed us alot. Howard is not this bad because he does alot of other things but he is killing his game and hurting us by wanting to be Dirk. Bombs away and no more drives.

I hope Howard matures fastly like Gino and gives us more going to the basket. With Ming out, this means give McGrady the ball and go one on one and see if he can score 40 or 50 a night and this leads to tired at playoffs and maybe injury. That is another reason it hurts Houston with Mings injury.

Mavfreak
02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
That's a real bummer about Yao. I liked what they were doing and the big guy was having a great season. Maybe there's a limit to how large a player can get before stress injuries take a toll. I was hoping the team could stay at full strength for the playoffs. The Rockets, without Yao, are no match for the top teams in the west. That's a shame they've lost their center.

me770706
02-26-2008, 06:17 PM
i still think this team minus yao could probably get into the playoffs because they have more talent now than 06 when tim thomas broke his leg..if tmac cant carry them this might be his last time around

Underdog
02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
At first I thought this was a thread from last season... Or the season before last... Or the season before that one...

LRB
02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Yao must be chinese for injured a lot. Sucks for the Rockets. I'm sorry to see him go down.

LonghornDub
02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Adelman is a good coach. He took the Blazers to the Finals twice and to the WCF once. Then he took the Kings to farther than ever before. I guess a team has a "rediculous roster" when the coach is mediocre? Come on. He is a good coach and as soon as the players in Houston pick up his system they will be a very good team. But you can always say that Houston has a "rediculous roster" after the fact.

I won't have to say that, because Houston is not going to do anything spectacular with him. delman is a poor man's D'Antoni. And that's not saying much.

Underdog
02-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I won't have to say that, because Houston is not going to do anything spectacular with him. delman is a poor man's D'Antoni. And that's not saying much.

Adelman needs to work on his smirking & "bitch face" if he ever wants to be in D'Antoni's league!

DirkFTW
02-26-2008, 07:03 PM
UNCALLED FOR!

http://bp1.blogger.com/_YWT7uGfZ0d0/Rj6qKNYdMNI/AAAAAAAAAB8/f18kEMPFpNA/s320/dantoni_hp335.jpg

Underdog
02-26-2008, 07:05 PM
UNCALLED FOR!

http://bp1.blogger.com/_YWT7uGfZ0d0/Rj6qKNYdMNI/AAAAAAAAAB8/f18kEMPFpNA/s320/dantoni_hp335.jpg

Yep - that's exactly the "bitch face" I was referring to...

horse900703
02-26-2008, 07:08 PM
OH MY GOD, BAD NEWS FOR THE ROCKETS~~~
T-MAC U NEED2 HELP THE TEAM NOW~~~

Dirkadirkastan
02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I told you so.

purplefrog
02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
At first I thought this was a thread from last season... Or the season before last... Or the season before that one...

You're cold.
But accurate. ;)

Thespiralgoeson
02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Adelman is a good coach.

kingmalaki
02-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Well doesn't this suck for us. Hopefully we can finish 16-10 and still make the postseason because there is no way we can lose enough to catch those scrub Eastern teams. It all depends on Mutombo and T-Mac. They carried us during the Yao injury last year and the supporting cast is better this season. However, the West is tougher this year.

Sucks...........

nashtymavsfan13
02-26-2008, 09:40 PM
And this is one of many reasons why I never take Houston seriously.

Thespiralgoeson
02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
And this is one of many reasons why I never take Houston seriously.

It's really sad. I think Yao and T-Mac both are about as injury prone as Webber was. I doubt either of them will ever have a full season without missing some time, let alone both of them. At this point Houston has to wonder what they could get for McGrady.

And1
02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
this sucks

Dirkadirkastan
02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8734/tmac475yi.jpg

"WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME??!!"

drypenn
02-27-2008, 12:59 AM
I hope the big guy gets well sooner than expected. Tough luck for the Rockets. But I sympathize with them, really.

nashtymavsfan13
02-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Is this the same foot he broke before?

horse900703
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Sad News,Yao come back soon~~

LonghornDub
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Adelman is a good coach.

Aren't you one of the ones who doesn't think Avery is that great of a coach? Adelman is just like Avery, except in 20 ish years of coaching he has 2 Finals appearances instead of Avery's 1 in 4 years.

MavsX
02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
It's really sad. I think Yao and T-Mac both are about as injury prone as Webber was. I doubt either of them will ever have a full season without missing some time, let alone both of them. At this point Houston has to wonder what they could get for McGrady.

yeah man, cash those chips in now...time to rebuiild