PDA

View Full Version : New Q: Bad call by Hue Hollins in 1994?

DTL
04-29-2002, 12:42 AM
Just read this in the latest Marty Burns column, where he talks about Bernie Fryer's blatant negligence of officiating duty and utter incompetence. But then he writes:

Fortunately for Fryer, the controversy became moot when the Hornets went on to win Saturday's game in overtime. Had Charlotte lost, he would have gone down alongside Hue Hollins (see Scottie Pippen's foul on Hubert Davis in the 1994 Eastern semis) as an all-time goat among zebras.

Hue Hollins is still an active referee, isn't he? So, what did he do in the 1994 call referred to here? And did anything happen to him afterward?

Again, thanks for filling me in, hopefully useful someday for our local pub's trivial nights i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

DTL
04-29-2002, 09:38 PM
hello?

Hales233
04-29-2002, 09:46 PM
DTL...Fantastic question my man...Yes, Hue Hollins is still active...and yes, he made one of the worst calls that I've ever seen at any level of basketball.

I can't remember the score of the game, it was either tied or the Bulls were up 1 or 2, and Hollins called a "foul" on Scottie Pippen while Hubert Davis shot a 3. I believe Davis made all 3 of the freebies and thus won the Knicks the Series. Pippen CLEARLY did not foul Davis, it was a pitiful call.

The Bulls, without MJ, would have gone on to win the title in '94 over Houston IMO if Hollins hadn't F'D up.

DTL
04-29-2002, 09:50 PM
Thanks so much for the response, Hales.

That sounds horrible. Can't believe there was no accountability at all for the refs, when they're the ones with so much power to alter the course of any given game.

Hales233
04-29-2002, 09:55 PM
It's ridiculous...the way the nba handles it's officials is simply embarrassing....ZERO accountability...it's the only job i know of where you don't get yelled at for screwing up.

madape
04-29-2002, 10:03 PM
This call puts a really bad taste in my mouth. It makes those "predetermined" comments Cuban made earlier this season seem a lot more valid than I originally thought. It sure seemed like the ref had made up his mind that the shot wouldn't count before the play even started.. didn't it?

Did you know that Cuban has brought up in league meetings, the idea of allowing the use of instant replay to help out in occasions such as this? The proposal was promptly, and not very judicously, shot down.

Now, why would the league want to keep the refs from being able to use this very helpful tool? It's not exactly a revolutionary idea, they've been using instant replay in college for years. There is no doubt that it allows refs to make the right call every time... and this is exactly the kind of call that decides games. I would hate to think the league would encourage a ref to make a judgement call on who wins or loses a game. It almost seems as though the league wants the refs to make the call, as opposed to really getting it right.

Refs deciding games. hmmm........ I'll let you make your own conclusions here, but I smell a rat.

MFFL
04-29-2002, 11:14 PM
I think the attention that the refs have received this year has shown just how poorly most of them call games. Grading by an independent source is essential.

Drbio
04-29-2002, 11:17 PM
Grading by an independent source is essential.

Absolutely. Any word if the league is actually interested in this?

DTL
04-29-2002, 11:20 PM
They're actually starting to look into the instant replay idea, aren't they?

madape
04-30-2002, 12:02 AM
SOME people were looking at it before the Hornets game. Sometimes it takes an incident such as this to get the ball really rolling. However, you know that the owners are going to HATE admitting that Cuban was right.

Drbio
04-30-2002, 12:03 AM
even though Cuban WAS right!

MFFL
04-30-2002, 12:05 AM
<< However, you know that the owners are going to HATE admitting that Cuban was right. >>

I think Cuban has mentioned several times that he has a lot of support around the league. Stern won't let the subject get brought up at meetings so it can't be voted on.