PDA

View Full Version : Kwame Brown arrested

MavsFanFinley
04-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Wizards' Brown ticketed for driving 120 mph

April 29, 2002

DUBLIN, Ga. (AP) -- Kwame Brown, the NBA's No. 1 overall draft pick in 2001 by the Washington Wizards, was arrested for driving 120 mph.

Brown, a 20-year-old forward and the first high school player taken with the first pick of the NBA draft, was charged Saturday with speeding in a 60 mph construction zone.

Sgt. Kirk Hartwell of the Laurens County Sheriff's Department said Brown was racing a motorcycle, but pulled over without any trouble.

Hartwell said Brown will automatically lose his license because of his age and the excessive speed. Brown was taken to the sheriff's office, where he paid a cash bond of $1,200.

Brown signed a three-year $11.9 million contract with the Wizards.

Drbio
04-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Thankfully for the kid he didn't wreck or hit anyone. I sure hope he can understand what the ramifications of his actions are and that they not only affect him, they affect his team, family, etc. Sure hope it helps to straighten him out on the whole follow the law thing.

madape
04-29-2002, 09:50 PM
Big deal. He probably just bought the crotch rocket, and wanted to check it out. I'm sure any one of us would have been tempted to do the same thing, and probably have at one point or another.

MFFL
04-29-2002, 11:13 PM
And when WE do something that stupid it doesn't wind up on the front page.

Drbio
04-29-2002, 11:15 PM
I am 100% sure that I would never hit 120 mph on a public road. That is stupid.

Kat
04-29-2002, 11:16 PM
I thought riding a scooter and other things that are perceived as "dangerous to one's health", are in violation of his contract?

MavsFanFinley
04-29-2002, 11:18 PM
And when WE do something that stupid it doesn't wind up on the front page.

Exactly MFFL.

It was stupid. And Im sure all of us here has done stupid things they'd like to forget.

However our actions don't reach the masses like it does with a public figure. He not only has to answer for himself, his family or friends, he has a franchise he has to think about.

Drbio
04-29-2002, 11:25 PM
Kat- it might be...that is negotiated.

MFF- and don't forget the public. He could have slammed into a kid crossing the road or an innocent person driving a car, etc.

madape
04-29-2002, 11:48 PM
Dr. Bio - you've never been tempted to see what your car would top out at? I'm sure the temptation is even greater for high performance motorcycles than for a normal car or truck. Now, I know that being tempted to do something and actually doing it are two different things. However, I'll admit that I know for a fact that my governor works like a charm at 100mph. And sorry, but if a kid tries to cross an interstate, he's likely going to get hit whether Kwame's going 120 or just 65.

Drbio
04-29-2002, 11:52 PM
madape- not really no. I have run police cars (i was a cop) at speeds near 100 and I will tell you...it scares the hell out of you. One little oops and its over. And he was pulled over in a construction zone...lots of hazards there....no mention of an interstate that I saw so for all I know it was in a school zone.

djb
04-29-2002, 11:52 PM
I heard Brown was racing against a motorcycle (in his car) but he wasn't driving one. I admit I can't help but speed ever since I got my new car (got my first speeding ticket a few weeks ago too i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif) but if I made as much money as Brown, I'd at least outfit my car with the latest in radar detecting technology i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MFFL
04-29-2002, 11:55 PM
<< I'd at least outfit my car with the latest in radar detecting technology i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif >>

But what if the cop turned on the radar AFTER he drove by?

madape
04-29-2002, 11:55 PM
I'm too scared to get on a motorcycle, much less take it to 120mph. But I think if you are the type of person that drives a high performace bike, you are the type of person that enjoys going fast. Thats what these things are built for.

I'll admit that going 120 in a contruction zone sounds pretty stupid.

Drbio
04-29-2002, 11:57 PM
I'm just glad we are reading a story about him being a stain in the road. I hope this helps him at some level.

madape
04-29-2002, 11:59 PM
If I were in charge of the Wizards, I'd make damn sure he never did it again.

Did you know that Karl Malone has a clause in his contract that prohibits him from firing a rifle while riding a horse?

Drbio
04-30-2002, 12:02 AM
some of those contract clauses are really odd. good for the clubs though.

scooterj5
04-30-2002, 03:15 AM
Is this really news???

Rhylan
04-30-2002, 10:53 AM
<< if I made as much money as Brown, I'd at least outfit my car with the latest in radar detecting technology i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif >>

Well, dj, he probably doesn't &quot;know how!!&quot;

Didn't you read the Washington Post (i think) article about poor little Kwame? He was only 19!!! He ate Popeye's every meal because he didn't &quot;know how&quot; to buy groceries. He didn't &quot;know how&quot; to take his suits to the cleaners.

That's what got me. How about walking in and saying &quot;can I get these cleaned, please?&quot; Or how about, &quot;hmmm... I probably shouldn't be eating fried chicken for breakfast.. I should have milk and cereal, or maybe some eggs and bacon. Wait?!?!? What's in milk and cereal? What's in eggs and bacon?!?! ohhhh no!&quot; Um... Kwame, try milk, cereal, eggs, and bacon. In roughly that order.

The kid has to be retarded. My freshman year, there were some idiot dudes in my dorm but I'm fairly sure I caught a glimpse of most of them doing laundry.

Next thing you know we'll have some LA columnist claiming Shaq just doesn't &quot;know how&quot; to shoot a free throw!!

nekked
04-30-2002, 10:57 AM
hey, rhylan, before you go calling him retarded, you might want to know that red beans and rice is pretty good at 7 am...i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Rhylan
04-30-2002, 01:10 PM
<< hey, rhylan, before you go calling him retarded, you might want to know that red beans and rice is pretty good at 7 am...i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif >>

hahah... hey man, I'm not hating on the popeye's for breakfast if it's a choice. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif i have been known to eat anything at anytime, myself. the columnist just wanted us to feel sorry for poor little kwame.

Hoopsmeister
04-30-2002, 02:21 PM
THE MAN WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE: Here's a fantastic story about Kwame Brown getting arrested over the weekend for racing his Mercedes against a motorcycle at 120 mph in a construction zone. That's not the fantastic part. I liked what the arresting officer said: &quot;He just kept saying, 'Michael Jordan is going to kill me.'&quot; Slam Online's addition (http://www.slamonline.com/links/)

grbh
04-30-2002, 02:23 PM
That is great, and I bet he does kill him too. I would be scared to answer to MJ after something like that.