PDA

View Full Version : I gained a lot of respect for Larry Brown after reading this

MFFL
04-30-2002, 08:53 AM
LINK (http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/3165386.htm)

Posted on Tue, Apr. 30, 2002
With Pierce in danger of ejection, Brown spoke up for sake of the game
By PHIL JASNER

Four minutes, 12 seconds remained in the third quarter Sunday. The 76ers, already down, 0-2, to the Boston Celtics in their best-of-five series, were trailing, 75-73. The referees - Ken Mauer, Joe Crawford and Hue Hollins - were sorting out some pushing, shoving and trash-talking by both teams.
The Celtics' Paul Pierce and the Sixers' Allen Iverson already had been called for a double technical. When Pierce and the Sixers' Aaron McKie got in each other's face, McKie was hit with a technical. And, as the officials were pointing toward players, it appeared Pierce might be assessed another technical, which would have meant an ejection.

And that is when Sixers coach Larry Brown, who believes dearly in the sanctity of the game, walked up the sideline and told Hollins: "Don't throw him out of the game."

That was Brown's way of saying it was important to allow the players to decide the outcome of an important game. Brown said Hollins replied they had to do what was right; as it turned out, the designations remained and no one was ejected.

Pierce dropped in a technical foul shot, building the Celtics' lead to 76-73, but the Sixers scored 10 of the final 15 points in the quarter and led, 83-81, going into the final 12 minutes.

Pierce launched the game's final shot with the Celtics behind, 106-103. Defended excellently by Corie Blount, Pierce missed his potential game-tying three-pointer. The Sixers' Derrick Coleman took the rebound, was fouled and dropped in two free throws for the 108-103 final score.

The sanctity of the game.

Asked about it yesterday, Brown said: "Let the players play." *

DTL
04-30-2002, 04:38 PM
If only the refs would think more like Coach Brown....Let the players play, and make calls as you actually see the plays, not before you see them!

SeomanSnowlock
04-30-2002, 07:31 PM
I would like to see the officials allow the players to play. John Stockton fouled out of a crucial game 3 when the officials rung him up for very touchy calls with his 4th and 5th fouls. If Stockton would not have received the foul calls, the Jazz might have won the game and prolonged the series

Murphy3
04-30-2002, 07:40 PM
good book

Drbio
04-30-2002, 08:51 PM
In spite of what Iverson says.....Brown is a class act.

Murphy3
04-30-2002, 08:59 PM
it's not like AI's not liking someone could influence what i thought..

actually, if AI likes someone, i'm gonna go ahead and say i'm more likely to not like them because of it