PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Defensive Team announced

DTL
04-30-2002, 01:53 PM
link (http://www.nba.com/news/defensive_team_award_020430.html)
Seattle guard ties Jordan with nine first-team selections
Payton, Wallace lead All-Defensive Team

NEW YORK, April 30 -- Seattle SuperSonics guard Gary Payton joined elite company today when he was named to the 2001-02 NBA All-Defensive First Team for an NBA record-tying ninth time.

Payton, an eight-time All-Star, becomes the second player in league history to be selected to the NBA All-Defensive First Team nine times, joining the Washington Wizard’s Michael Jordan who was named to the All-Defensive Team nine times while playing with the Chicago Bulls.

Payton, who has made the First Team nine consecutive times, is joined by guard Jason Kidd of the New Jersey Nets, forward/center Ben Wallace of the Detroit Pistons, and forwards Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs and Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The NBA All-Defensive Second Team consists of the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant and Sacramento Kings’ Doug Christie at guard, the Philadelphia 76ers’ Dikembe Mutombo at center, and the San Antonio Spurs’ Bruce Bowen and the Detroit Pistons’ Clifford Robinson at forward.

The voting panel consisted of the NBA’s 29 head coaches, who were asked to select NBA All-Defensive First and Second Teams by position. Coaches were not permitted to vote for players from their own team. Points were awarded on a 2-1 basis.

Wallace, who recently was named the NBA’s Defensive Player of the Year, led all players in voting, receiving 51 of a possible 56 points. Payton received 47, while Duncan, Kidd and Garnett received 40, 37 and 27 points, respectively.

This marks the fourth NBA All-Defensive First Team selection for Duncan, the third for Kidd and Garnett and first selection for Wallace. This is the sixth selection to an NBA All-Defensive Team for Mutombo, third for Bryant, second for Bowen, Christie and Robinson.

Attached are the results of the balloting for the 2001-02 NBA All-Defensive Teams:

NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM
Player Team Points 1st Team Votes
Tim Duncan San Antonio 40 17
Kevin Garnett Minnesota 27 10
Ben Wallace Detroit 51 24
Gary Payton Seattle 47 20
Jason Kidd New Jersey 37 15

NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE SECOND TEAM
Player Team Points 1st Team Votes
Bruce Bowen San Antonio 21 6
Clifford Robinson Detroit 14 5
Dikembe Mutombo Philadelphia 27 9
Kobe Bryant L.A. Lakers 32 12
Doug Christie Sacramento 25 7

grbh
04-30-2002, 01:55 PM
That is twice today DTL, you need to stop following me around the internet i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

DTL
04-30-2002, 02:06 PM
Sorry man i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MavKikiNYC
04-30-2002, 07:20 PM
So....I've read through the list three times, and it looks like LaF didn't get a single vote. Imagine that.

SeomanSnowlock
04-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Was Raef Lafrentz expected to receive this honor?

MavKikiNYC
04-30-2002, 07:45 PM
Not necessarily, but he didn't receive a single vote, despite finishing second in blocked shots. One way of looking at it is that he gets no respect. Another is that he's not that highly regarded as a defender, despite statistics.

Murphy3
04-30-2002, 08:19 PM
he's a good defender, but ..not quite among the upper level defensively at his position..

Drbio
04-30-2002, 08:53 PM
I don't think Raef earned it this year.

Murphy3
04-30-2002, 08:58 PM
he was a solid defender...but he's not quite at that level..

MavsFanFinley
04-30-2002, 10:59 PM
Hmmm, already made a post about this before seeing this one...

Anyway, I was surprised that no on pointed out that Fin earned a vote for the 1st team and was the only Maverick to earn one.

Drbio
04-30-2002, 11:06 PM
Finley is on the cusp for his defense...but he's in that second tier with Nash.

Hoopsmeister
04-30-2002, 11:09 PM
<< Not necessarily, but he didn't receive a single vote, despite finishing second in blocked shots. One way of looking at it is that he gets no respect. Another is that he's not that highly regarded as a defender, despite statistics. >>

LaFrentz is a good shot-blocker. He is not a particularly good man-to-man defender. Most of his blocks come rotating to help. I don't think anyone has ever claimed he is a particularly good defender, but in the Mavs system his ability to block shots combined with a jump shot (which keeps him on the floor in Nellie's offense) is more important than his man-to-man defense.

Drbio
04-30-2002, 11:12 PM
dead-on Hoops....nice post.

TheKid
05-01-2002, 10:29 AM
That's interesting Finley received a vote when according to this board he's one of the worst defenders we have.

DTL
05-01-2002, 10:38 AM
If Greg Griff had played healthy all season, do you guys think he'd have earned a place, on the second team?

Hoopsmeister
05-01-2002, 10:41 AM
<< That's interesting Finley received a vote when according to this board he's one of the worst defenders we have. >>

Last year, Dirk received a vote. I'm not sure you can read too much into one vote :-)

MFFL
05-01-2002, 03:57 PM
<< If Greg Griff had played healthy all season, do you guys think he'd have earned a place, on the second team? >>

No. A good (not great) defender on a bad defensive team does not deserve to be on the team.

Murphy3
05-01-2002, 07:02 PM
interesting thing about fin's defense.. nellie thinks he's a defensive liability

Epitome22
05-03-2002, 06:47 PM
Back in the 99-00 season Finley used to be a solid defender. Something has happened to him over the last 2 years.

JAY JAY
05-03-2002, 06:59 PM
What does he think about Dirk Murphy?

Hoopsmeister
05-03-2002, 07:33 PM
<< Back in the 99-00 season Finley used to be a solid defender. Something has happened to him over the last 2 years. >>

Some of us discussed this a while back. The most popular theory seems to be his development as a scoring star leading to his putting less energy into the defensive end to conserve it for the other.