PDA

View Full Version : Al Harrington to the Knicks

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
11-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Harrington to New York: The New York Post is reporting that Al Harrington will be a Knick shortly. The deal supposedly involving New York's Malik Rose was set for last night, but delays pushed the conference call with the league back to today. Peter Vescey noted that the deal reunites Knicks President Donnie Walsh with Al Harrington whom he drafted out of Elizabeth, NJ in 1998 while with the Pacers. Harrington has been a thorn in the side of Golden State Coach Don Nelson this season, which made the deal for Rose's expiring contract all the more urgent. When not tangling with the Warriors' coaching staff, Harrington has logged only 166 minutes this season. Harrington's offensive output has decreased each of the last two seasons with Golden State, but would likely fit in well at Madison Square Garden where his ability to play multiple positions would be utilized by Mike D'Antoni. Obviously the Warriors were after Rose's expiring contract. However, Harrington is signed through this year with a player option for '09-'10. So for those Knicks fans who want to see the team make a run at LeBron James in the summer of 2010, this deal should not affect their cap space. When David Lee was denied a contract extension earlier this season, many believed it was a sign that the former Florida Gator was on his way out of town. The acquisition of Harrington can only enhance that suspicion.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10677

Dirkenstien
11-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Other reports have Jamal Crawford and possibly David Lee leaving instead. Wonder who it'll end up being because I have a hard time believing Goldenstate would be happy to get Malik Rose in return for Al Harrington unless there's some kind of draft pick attached.

basketballgirl25
11-21-2008, 09:37 AM
it will be great the the Knicks to get Al Harrington a new exciting thing for the Knicks

jthig32
11-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Hoopshype is reporting the deal has been extended to a three way, with Randolph, Crawford and Mardy Collins leaving NY, and Tim Thomas, Al Harrington and Cuttino Mobley coming to the Knicks. That would clearly be a cap clearer for 2010 (Lebron).

sike
11-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Hoopshype is reporting the deal has been extended to a three way, with Randolph, Crawford and Mardy Collins leaving NY, and Tim Thomas, Al Harrington and Cuttino Mobley coming to the Knicks. That would clearly be a cap clearer for 2010 (Lebron).

But talk about ending their season....sheesh. I DO like thinking big picture though.

jthig32
11-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Yeah, talk about a kick in the crotch for the Knicks fans excited about the start of their season.

MavsFanFinley
11-21-2008, 10:08 AM
It seems the Warriors could get more than Crawford but nice move for them either way. They get rid of an unhappy player, make room for the young bigs to get more playing time, and get a little insurance with Crawford until they know what's going on with Ellis.

Nice move for the Clippers and NY is just clearing cap space for Lebron.

jthig32
11-21-2008, 10:10 AM
If this three way deal is legit I would assume Crawford is going to the Clips, not GS.

Underdog
11-21-2008, 10:10 AM
What happens if the Knicks don't land LeBron - how stupid would this trade look?

jthig32
11-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Huh, RealGM says if the trade goes down it's Crawford to GS and Randolph to the Clips. Weird. Randolph would look pretty nice playing PF for Nellie, no?

That would have to mean the Clips are very serious about moving Kaman.

dirno2000
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Let's not lose sight of the real victims here: Zach Randolph fantasy owners (assuming he ends up with the Clippers).

Other than that I'm not sure it torpedos their season. All three of the players going to New York have shown the ability to fill it up. Thomas has been terrible this year but the last time he was in Dan Tony's system he flourished. I'd expect at least a slight uptick in his numbers.

They'll miss Robinson's rebounding. Lee and Chandler will have to pick up the slack there.

They may drop a couple of extra games along the way but they'll still be fun to watch.

jthig32
11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Man, I dunno. Crawford and Randolph were literally their two best players so far this season. Clearly the system will still keep the competitive, but I think they'll take a big hit overall.

I'm still confused if Crawford is going to GS. Wouldn't it make perfect sense for Crawford to go to the Clips, to play alongside a big PG that can guard SG's? And Randolph in GS makes perfect sense.

Weird.

Although, maybe the Clips are ready to roll with Eric Gordon.

alby
11-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Randolph/Kaman/Camby seems like overkill to me.

alby
11-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Losing Cat would make a Crawford to LA more likely, yes?

DubOverdose
11-21-2008, 11:23 AM
it will be great the the Knicks to get Al Harrington a new exciting thing for the Knicks

KNICKERBOCKERS + HARRINGTON = CHAMPS 2009!!!!!!!!

dirno2000
11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Man, I dunno. Crawford and Randolph were literally their two best players so far this season. Clearly the system will still keep the competitive, but I think they'll take a big hit overall.

Randolph will hurt but I think Crawford was playing a little over his head. I'm betting that between Thomas and Mobley they'll be able to replace his production.

Dirkenstien
11-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Still think we should have gotten in on the action here. Oh well.

antoinewalker
11-21-2008, 12:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3717209

it seems to be al harrington for jamal crawford straight up.

LonghornDub
11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Harrington for Crawford, that's it. It doesn't seem Randolph is involved.

BGMaverick9
11-21-2008, 12:44 PM
All that hype for a 1 for 1 swap? Internet GMs were disappointed with that for sure, lol. I think it'll work out for both sides though.

fluid.forty.one
11-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I gotta say... LeBron in NY is a pretty gangsta concept. The knicks are gonna be badass if they land him.

Underdog
11-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I gotta say... LeBron in NY is a pretty gangsta concept. The knicks are gonna be badass if they land him.

I dunno - the new team in Brooklyn might be more enticing for part-owner Jay-Z's buddy to play for...

blessednegr0
11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Its not a straight swap guys.

Knicks are trying to push Randolph to the Mavericks.

Dirkenstien
11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Its not a straight swap guys.

Knicks are trying to push Randolph to the Mavericks.

That trade was finalized but...

OH

DEAR

GOD

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55584/20081121/randolph_to_dallas/

basketballgirl25
11-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I dunno - the new team in Brooklyn might be more enticing for part-owner Jay-Z's buddy to play for...

the Nets aren't moving to Brooklyn till 2011, that's now what is being said, so we got no chance in heck of getting Lebron.

Underdog
11-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Catch up guys - we already have a Randolph-to-Mavs thread! (http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34290)

;)

fluid.forty.one
11-21-2008, 01:22 PM

idk man. Brooklyn is gangsta obviously but the name and colors aren't quite as gangsta as the New York Knicks.

Underdog
11-21-2008, 01:23 PM
the Nets aren't moving to Brooklyn till 2011, that's now what is being said, so we got no chance in heck of getting Lebron.

Um, you can get LeBron in 2010 before the team moves, genius (why the hell do you think they dumped Kidd's salary after Bron-Bron expressed interest in playing with Harris????)

dude1394
11-21-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't see why the knicks would trade crawford for harrington straight up. Harrington isn't any better a center than randolph and they are losing a guys who's lighting it up for them.

20ppg, 4.5apg, 45% from 3pt land...what's not to like.

fluid.forty.one
11-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm assuming it's a salary dump...

Underdog
11-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm assuming it's a salary dump...

They're putting ALL their eggs in the LeBron basket - too bad they have to compete with a half-dozen other teams who are just as likely to land him...

dude1394
11-21-2008, 01:28 PM
My bad...malik rose...I understand. Because I thought I read where their salaries expired about the same time.

fluid.forty.one
11-21-2008, 01:30 PM
They're putting ALL their eggs in the LeBron basket - too bad they have to compete with a half-dozen other teams who are just as likely to land him...

idk man.. My gut is pretty sure he's going to NY.

If I were Lebron, I would.

LeBron getting a few rings for the Knicks in MSG is so filthy.

dude1394
11-21-2008, 01:30 PM

I think Bron-Bron would be pretty smart to play in NYC. Might double his endorsements.

Underdog
11-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Like I said - the Nets are moving to Brooklyn and part-owner Jay-Z is good friends with LeBron...

I can't imagine a better way to launch a "new" franchise...

fluid.forty.one
11-21-2008, 01:34 PM
New York Knicks with their history and image and MSG are more gangsta than the Nets, even if they are in Brooklyn.

MAYBE if they do a complete overhaul of their name, colors and logo but *shrug*. If you move the Dallas Mavericks to Brooklyn it doesn't make them gangsta.

and I don't think being friends with Jay-Z will affect anything. Heck, Steve Nash was playing on a basketball team with his best friend and he chose a better situation/more money over playing with his best friend.

Imagine being able to get paid millions of dollars to play basketball and tour the country with your best friend. Money/Opportunity apparently trumps that. Or course that's under the assumption that NY is the better opportunity, which it is IMO.

basketballgirl25
11-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Um, you can get LeBron in 2010 before the team moves, genius (why the hell do you think they dumped Kidd's salary after Bron-Bron expressed interest in playing with Harris????)

oh I know we could get Lebron before we move to Brooklyn, but there is a better chance at him going to the Knicks before the Nets. All Net fans know this, but there is always hope out there.

DOMINATOR
11-21-2008, 01:40 PM
WTH is Nellie going to do with all those 3's?
Crawford
Morrow
Jackson
Maggette
Biedrins
as their starting lineup? that's like insane super streetball.

Underdog
11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
New York Knicks with their history and image and MSG are more gangsta than the Nets, even if they are in Brooklyn.

MAYBE if they do a complete overhaul of their name, colors and logo but *shrug*. If you move the Dallas Mavericks to Brooklyn it doesn't make them gangsta.

and I don't think being friends with Jay-Z will affect anything. Heck, Steve Nash was playing on a basketball team with his best friend and he chose a better situation/more money over playing with his best friend.

Imagine being able to get paid millions of dollars to play basketball and tour the country with your best friend. Money/Opportunity apparently trumps that. Or course that's under the assumption that NY is the better opportunity, which it is IMO.

Yeah, but the Knicks suck (especially after this trade...)

Brooklyn will market itself as the future of the NBA with LeBron at the helm - it's more New York than New York (and, technically, WAY more gangsta!)

fluid.forty.one
11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
while the name Brooklyn implies "gangsterism ;)" I feel like it will be the next Clippers or Mets.

Underdog
11-21-2008, 01:50 PM
while the name Brooklyn implies "gangsterism ;)" I feel like it will be the next Clippers or Mets.

I think the purpose of the move is to re-invent their image (it's not like they're really moving to a *new* market - it's, like, 10 miles away...)

basketballgirl25
11-21-2008, 01:53 PM

that's actually good in Mets term, they were better then they yankees this year, but I have to agree Knicks will always be New Yorks team, as much as I hate that:mad:

fluid.forty.one
11-21-2008, 01:54 PM
that's actually good in Mets term, they were better then they yankees this year

That's not the point. They will never be as prestigious or as relevant as the yankees, even if they have 10 seasons in a row better than them. Same goes for the Clippers and Lakers.

basketballgirl25
11-21-2008, 02:01 PM
That's not the point. They will never be as prestigious or as relevant as the yankees, even if they have 10 seasons in a row better than them. Same goes for the Clippers and Lakers.

I know what your point was, I was just trying to think in a positive, got to have hope:)

Underdog
11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I know what your point was, I was just trying to piss you off by talking complete nonsense.

fixed.

basketballgirl25
11-21-2008, 02:49 PM
fixed.

I know what your point was, I was just trying to think in a positive, got to have hope

muzak
11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Freakin' Nellie always gets good trades come his way.

NYCdog
11-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Like I said - the Nets are moving to Brooklyn and part-owner Jay-Z is good friends with LeBron...

I can't imagine a better way to launch a "new" franchise...

Hold up there....The Nets arena deal on Barclays Center in Brooklyn is in serious jeoprady due to financing. Bruce Ratner had hoped to break ground this December but this now is likely not to happen.

In fact, as a Flatbush native, one can dream but I just dont see Barclays Center being built. Unless Charles Wang gets the Isles involved in Barclays Center due to his failing plans in LI, I see the Nets end up playing at "the Rock" with the Devils....

NYCdog
11-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah, talk about a kick in the crotch for the Knicks fans excited about the start of their season.

"Kick in the stomach?" This is killing my love for the NBA game. I mean, we have "hope" and were selling out for LeBron.

Look, I can dream about LeBron in Knicks duds all day but when the man wants to win a title, why would he leave his hometown team, which is in much better shape, for Dolan's Disaster?

basketballgirl25
11-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Hold up there....The Nets arena deal on Barclays Center in Brooklyn is in serious jeoprady due to financing. Bruce Ratner had hoped to break ground this December but this now is likely not to happen.

In fact, as a Flatbush native, one can dream but I just dont see Barclays Center being built. Unless Charles Wang gets the Isles involved in Barclays Center due to his failing plans in LI, I see the Nets end up playing at "the Rock" with the Devils....

thanks god, another person who thinks, the same I'm a Nets fan and I don't see the Barclays Center being built either I know other Net fans still think it will happen but with how the economy is right now I just don't see it. We should go play in Newark, still won't have many fans, but might get more then the izod, and supposedly the groung breaking for the Brooklyn arena is now for January-March, 2009. We will see if this happens

Underdog
11-22-2008, 05:56 AM
thanks god, another person who thinks, the same I'm a Nets fan and I don't see the Barclays Center being built either I know other Net fans still think it will happen but with how the economy is right now I just don't see it. We should go play in Newark, still won't have many fans, but might get more then the izod, and supposedly the groung breaking for the Brooklyn arena is now for January-March, 2009. We will see if this happens

Shut the hell up - you didn't say ANY of that before (and you certainly had a chance to...)