PDA

View Full Version : Some big names lacking in All-Star votes

MaVs 41 BaLler
01-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I was going to put this in the sticky but this isn't only about mavs all-stars.

Analysis: Some big names lacking in All-Star votes

By John Schuhmann, NBA.com
Posted Jan 1 2009 12:52PM

There's clearly a drop-off in pivot quality once you get past Dwight Howard in the Eastern Conference, and the latest voting returns for 2009 NBA All-Star Game reflect it. The NBA announced the third All-Star returns Thursday, and Howard has more than seven times as many votes as Samuel Dalembert, who ranks second among East centers.

Last week, it was announced that Howard will defend his Sprite Slam Dunk title on Feb. 14 in Phoenix. And there's no doubt that he'll be working back-to-back nights at the US Airways Center, making his third straight All-Star appearance and second straight start.
Related Story
In the third All-Star balloting returns, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard lead the pack. Read Full Article

Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Yao Ming also deservedly lead their positions in voting, but Howard remains the leading vote-getter by more than 175,000 votes over Bryant. James closed the gap on Bryant for second place overall over the last week and trails his Olympic teammate by just 12,748 votes.

When you talk about the best players in the NBA, there's one guy missing from the list above. Chris Paul was the runner-up for MVP last season and is playing just as brilliantly in 2008-09. With his Hornets in second place in the Western Conference, Paul is the conference's MVP of the first two months.

But Paul remains on the outside looking in when it comes to starting the All-Star Game, trailing Tracy McGrady by 93,963 votes for the second guard spot in the West. The gap was less than 21,000 last week, but it has grown.

Paul will undoubtedly be in Phoenix no matter what. Each conference's coaches will vote on their squad's seven reserves after the starters are announced and Paul would likely be the first name West coaches write down, but he clearly deserves to start next to the guy he finished behind in MVP voting last season.

Farther down the list of West guards is three-time All-Star Chauncey Billups. With the Nuggets at 21-12 in a year many thought they wouldn't be a playoff team, Billups is also on the short list of MVP candidates, but he ranks 11th at his position with just 205,554 votes.

At West forward, you can make a strong argument that seven-time All-Star Dirk Nowitzki deserves the second starting spot over Amar'e Stoudemire. Nowitzki's Mavs are a half game ahead of Stoudemire's Suns in the standings, and Nowitzki only trails Carlos Boozer (who's only played 12 games) in efficiency among West forwards.

At East guard, with his Hawks at 21-10 and ranking third in efficiency at the position, two-time All-Star Joe Johnson looks like the next best candidate behind Wade. But like Billups, Johnson is 11th with less than 200,000 votes. Devin Harris has deservedly gained some ground in recent weeks, but Johnson hasn't been shown enough love from the fans.

At forward, the Nets' Yi Jianlian is still a threat to beat out Kevin Garnett for the second starting forward spot and actually gained a little ground (1,127 votes) on Garnett over the last week. Yi doesn't play like the third best forward on his own team most nights, but he's third in the conference when it comes to popularity.

The league will issue one more update of the balloting Jan. 8 and voting will continue through Jan. 19. The starters will be announced Thursday, Jan. 22 on TNT. While Howard can't be caught, there's still plenty of time for fans to change the game at the other positions.

Clearly Dirk needs to start over Amare also Chris Paul needs to start. And Yi Jianlin....please...
Also Devin Harris, Chauncey Billups need some votes.

Underdog
01-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Yi Jianlian over Kevin Garnett???

Seriously - fans should have no business choosing who goes to the All-Star game...

MaVs 41 BaLler
01-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Yi Jianlian over Kevin Garnett???

Seriously - fans should have no business choosing who goes to the All-Star game...

I know right! Look at his numbers they suck.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/yi_jianlian/index.html

That is not all-star worthy.

If he's able to make the all-star game then The Republic of Senegal better be voting this guy in: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/desagana_diop/

Also Tracy McGrady doesn't deserve to be in the all-star game. (Or start)
Billups does.

horse900703
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Lets vote for dirk more, I can't believe people are voting for Duncan.....

alby
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I really hope Yi starts over Garnett.

basketballgirl25
01-02-2009, 02:10 PM
I was going to put this in the sticky but this isn't only about mavs all-stars.

Clearly Dirk needs to start over Amare also Chris Paul needs to start. And Yi Jianlin....please...
Also Devin Harris, Chauncey Billups need some votes.

I'd say at least Amare would be in a close race with Dirk to be in the All-Star game, so it isn't too bad, but Chris Paul needs to start and Devin Harris needs to be in the game, but Yi Jianlin in would show the NBA that fans should not vote

Tokey41
01-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Leave it to the Chinese to expose our flaws...

Blame Tmac and Yi on them, but Duncan and Amare over Dirk? That's all on us. Get voting.

basketballgirl25
01-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Leave it to the Chinese to expose our flaws...

Blame Tmac and Yi on them, but Duncan and Amare over Dirk? That's all on us. Get voting.

yeah, but at least Duncan and Amare can give Dirk and ruin he his money. Tmac and Yi, I would rather watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqfV0RkqhLc

Windmill360
01-03-2009, 07:44 PM
yeah, but at least Duncan and Amare can give Dirk and ruin he his money. Tmac and Yi, I would rather watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqfV0RkqhLc

and I would rather watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGiOY72ru4

basketballgirl25
01-03-2009, 08:50 PM
and I would rather watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGiOY72ru4

that's a good video, this would be better as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8rx5Ff1XeM

MaVs 41 BaLler
01-03-2009, 08:56 PM
WTF!
All those videos are as worse as being rick-rolled!

DOMINATOR
01-04-2009, 02:04 AM
yi over KG would be funny.
tmac playing... not so much. he dont deserve it.

alby
01-04-2009, 03:47 AM
T-mac shouldn't even make the starting 5 on his own team...

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
01-04-2009, 05:20 AM
yeah, but at least Duncan and Amare can give Dirk and ruin he his money.

ty
01-04-2009, 05:28 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m176/telliecoin/dear-god-make-it-stop.jpg

basketballgirl25
01-04-2009, 06:10 AM
I meant run:D:D:D

dude1394
01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Tmac and Yi are part of the same problem.

Vote Yi! Let's have a vote-off of the dallasbasketballgirl.

MaVs 41 BaLler
01-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Wait we should vote Yi. So that the West could win.
Then Dirk will own him.

Also why isn't Germany putting up votes for their flag-bearer?
If they are, we need more!!
Go Dirk!

basketballgirl25
01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Tmac and Yi are part of the same problem.

Vote Yi! Let's have a vote-off of the netsbasketballgirl.

fixed:D

basketballgirl25
01-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Wait we should vote Yi. So that the West could win.
Then Dirk will own him.

Also why isn't Germany putting up votes for their flag-bearer?
If they are, we need more!!
Go Dirk!

you do know Yi seems to do a good job on Dirk, just sucks against the rest of the league.

and Germany isn't putting up votes for Dirk because they are smart and know, it should be out with the old guys in with the new younger players. Chris Paul, Lebron, Howard, Harris etc. younger guys are fun to watch while older guys like Dirk and Yao who have been in the NBA longer are boring now:D

MaVs 41 BaLler
01-04-2009, 01:11 PM
you do know Yi seems to do a good job on Dirk, just sucks against the rest of the league.

and Germany isn't putting up votes for Dirk because they are smart and know, it should be out with the old guys in with the new younger players. Chris Paul, Lebron, Howard, Harris etc. younger guys are fun to watch while older guys like Dirk and Yao who have been in the NBA longer are boring now:D

I agree all those guys are fun to watch.
Also all of them are in the east!!!

The east has all the young talent.

The west is made up of Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, Kidd, Parker, Yao, McGrady, Gasol.....
There is Paul and Roy. Then there comes the middles like Melo.

basketballgirl25
01-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I agree all those guys are fun to watch.
Also all of them are in the east!!!

The east has all the young talent.

The west is made up of Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, Kidd, Parker, Yao, McGrady, Gasol.....
There is Paul and Roy. Then there comes the middles like Melo.

Paul over Kidd for sure:D

and yeah the east has all the young talent and also Celtics.

MaVs 41 BaLler
01-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Paul over Kidd for sure:D

and yeah the east has all the young talent and also Celtics.

The Celtics came from the west. :cool:

Rick41
01-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Starting spots should be:

Paul, Bryant, Tim, Dirk and Yao.

I'll bet my left nut T-whack won't play due to one of his vagine injuries.

Rick41
01-16-2009, 05:06 PM
East should be

Iverson, Wade (ugh yes i know), LBJ, Bosh and Howard.

KG is overrated.

Caseman
01-16-2009, 08:10 PM
It's pretty obvious horseman and basketballgirl are the same person. Both are equally annoying anyway.

alby
01-16-2009, 10:28 PM
No Yi???