PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Free Agency

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
01-30-2009, 02:28 AM
We all want the F.O. to make a big splash right now, regardless of contract lengths and costs. But one thing we forget, we have somewhat of an inside position on landing one of the best 3 free agents that year. I'm talking about Bosh coming home! Although it's dissapointing to see the F.O. do practically nothing it's smart for them not to mortgage that opportunity. We should keep that in mind at least somewhat. Bosh and Dirk playing together could be a thing of beauty.

SMC0007
01-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Eh, Bosh already said" Maybe when I'm real old and almost out of the league". :)

horse900703
01-30-2009, 07:33 PM
That would be very nice!

fluid.forty.one
01-30-2009, 08:04 PM
hahaha look at the caption in horse's sig

Robillion
01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Here is a list of the 2009 and 2010 free agents for quick reference...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Stephen A. Smith of ESPN has reported that Chris Bosh has already informed GM Bryan Colangelo that he will not resign with the team in 2010. Bosh, who is averaging 23.1 points, 9.7 rebounds, and about a block a game, has proven to be one of the premier power forwards in the game. Smith thinks that Bosh’s name will surface in trade rumors, and he mentions Miami and Dallas as possible teams that may look to trade for him. Although Stephen A. Smith does simply like to talk, I can buy this. Why would he want to stay in Toronto? They are a franchise on the decline, they lack young talent, and they have a surplus of big men hogging the paint with Jermaine O’Neal, and Andre Bargnani. Josh Howard was mentioned earlier in trade rumors with Toronto and that could resurface, or Phoenix could get involved with either Shaq or Amare Stoudamire.

Give up anyone not named Dirk for Bosh right now. It's probably a pipe dream, but could you imagine getting Bosh by the trade deadline for J-Ho, Bass + Stack. It works on the nba trade machine.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2745~2006~802~1977&teams=28~28~28~6&te=&cash=

Underdog
02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Give up anyone not named Dirk for Bosh right now.

I've heard this one a lot lately, but I ask:

What position does Bosh play?

What position does Dirk play?

What would our defense look like with both of them on the floor?

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
02-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Yeah they're both power forwards. But Dirk plays the position different than any other. Bosh could be the low post scoring threat we've needed. You could still have Damp on the floor and Kidd so I don't think D would be a problem. To me it's an absolute no brainer.

Underdog
02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Yeah they're both power forwards. But Dirk plays the position different than any other. Bosh could be the low post scoring threat we've needed. You could still have Damp on the floor and Kidd so I don't think D would be a problem. To me it's an absolute no brainer.

We'd get shredded on the defensive end of the court every night - who covers the 3?

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
02-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Bosh can play the 5 as well dude. He's not a bad defender and he would torch almost any other teams 5. He plays the 5 for Toronto some or at least he has in the past. He's a finesse 5. You're really against having another franchise player come here along with Dirk? Kidd lobs to Bosh all day. Can't double team Dirk anymore. Who would we be giving up out of those 3 that's such a shut down defender anyway? J-Ho was an above average defender but he hardly is anymore. I don't know what the majority of the forum thinks but I know I'm all for it. It won't happen anyway, but I would say the F.O. would do it in a second if the opportunity presented itself. We almost traded for Bargnani allegedly, now that's someone that has the same still set as Dirk and doesn't play any D.

Underdog
02-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Bosh can play the 5 as well dude. He's not a bad defender and he would torch almost any other teams 5. He plays the 5 for Toronto frequently. He's a finesse 5. You're really against having another franchise player come here along with Dirk? Kidd lobs to Bosh all day. Can't double team Dirk anymore. I don't know what the majority of the forum thinks but I know I'm all for it. It won't happen anyway, but I can guarentee the F.O. would do it in a second if the opportunity presented itself.

Oh, I think Bosh is a wonderful player - I just wouldn't sell the farm for redundancy at the 4...

Let's be realistic - Bosh isn't going to be banging with the bigs at the 5, so the only way you're going to see Dirk & Bosh together on the court is if Dirk moves over to the 3... Do you really want to see him guarding the LeBrons of the league?

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
02-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Agree to disagree, but to me you're not giving away the farm unless it's Dirk. You're giving away J-Ho, who we know is a pain in the ass and dissapears in the 2nd half. You give away Bass who is also a power forward and is just a backup to Dirk, and you give away Stackhouse who doesn't even play. The return would be greater than what's given for sure. They'd probably want Dirk anyway and that's when the negotiations come to a screeching halt.

dalmations202
02-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh, I think Bosh is a wonderful player - I just wouldn't sell the farm for redundancy at the 4...

Let's be realistic - Bosh isn't going to be banging with the bigs at the 5, so the only way you're going to see Dirk & Bosh together on the court is if Dirk moves over to the 3... Do you really want to see him guarding the LeBrons of the league?

Match-ups would be a nightmare for you and for them.

Against Lebron, Bosh and Dirk are the 4-5 (someone else covers LBJ). Against teams like Phoenix, Damp on Shaq, Bosh on Amare, and Dirk on Hill? ouch.

Against some teams, it would be sweet, but against others--- watch out.

It would be fun, but it still causes issues, just like it always has.

For the record, I am not for or against a Bosh trade. It should work better than Bosh/JO or Shaq/Amare, but I still don't know if it is ideal. It seems to me that Dirk/Shaq or Dirk/JO would work better than the other line-ups. I mean isn't Dirk/Bosh about the same as Dirk/Brand?

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
02-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I agree with both of you that there are going to be some matchup problems. But I think it's worth a shot, because we all pretty much know if we keep the team in tact we're not winning an NBA Championship. There's no guarentee we would with Bosh, either. But I like our chances more.

Robillion
02-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Can someone refresh me on the salary cap rules?... If you are below cap in free agency, can you spend above cap? Like you are 1 million under, can you give someone a max deal?

alby
02-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Once Shaq retires from the NBA, who are the 5's that truly scare you? Yao? Dwight? Bosh plays great defense on them fyi.

bobatundi
02-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Let's not forget, DJ Mbenga will be a UFA in 2010.

Ok, how hilarious is it that the guy basically changed his name to DJ because Avery was too illiterate to understand/call him by his actual name.

jthig32
02-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Can someone refresh me on the salary cap rules?... If you are below cap in free agency, can you spend above cap? Like you are 1 million under, can you give someone a max deal?

No.

It seems to me like Bosh and Dirk would get in each other's way an awful lot on offense. They're both high post players, no?

I'd like to see some sort of break down by someone smarter than myself on the possibilities of those two working offensively.

Defensively I would think Bosh would be just fine guarding most centers but you never know.

And again, let me just say that any lineup that puts Dirk at the three is not based in reality and will never see the light of day on the court, except perhaps for ultra rare matchups and for very limited minutes.

Rhylan
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Let's not forget, DJ Mbenga will be a UFA in 2010.

Ok, how hilarious is it that the guy basically changed his name to DJ because Avery was too illiterate to understand/call him by his actual name.

I'm all for ragging on Avery, but this is way off. MBenga is from the Congo, where a lot of French is spoken, and his first name is "Didier."

Say "Didier" with a solid French accent, it sounds kinda like "DJ."

dalmations202
02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
It seems to me like Bosh and Dirk would get in each other's way an awful lot on offense. They're both high post players, no?

I'd like to see some sort of break down by someone smarter than myself on the possibilities of those two working offensively.

I wouldn't consider myself smarter than anyone/everyone here, but I do have a little experience designing and running plays for an offense. Admittedly at a much lower level than pro. (6-16 year old kids)

The concepts are much the same, it is just the ability to execute consistently that is much higher -- at least this is how it seems to me.

First, Dirk is not exactly a high post player. His range allows him to play exceptionally well out to the 3pt line. This ability to play either the SF (out to the 3pt line) or the PF (high post) is truly a matchup nightmare for most teams. Guard him small, and he shoots over, drives with his 7' frame, or uses his myriad of turn around fall away stuff. Guard him big, and he is too quick.

Bosh on the other hand is a prototypical high post player. He seems (at least when I have watched him), most comfortable when he starts his offense 15-18' and uses quick one step and two step stuff to get shots close to the rim. He has the set shot clear out to the 3pt line to keep defenders honest, but he is mainly a 15' in high post player.

Against most teams, he would play the 5 for Dallas, and Dirk the 4. Against some teams though, Damp would play the 5, Bosh the 4, and Dirk the 3. Houston for example. Dirk and Bosh would probably take the 3/4 and either guard the SF Artest/Battier -- and the other cover if he got by. They would be in switch mode most of the time. Damp and Hollins(?) would get Yao.

Offensively, the offense would go through Bosh (I would think), with Dirk cutting, popping, slipping, and even coming off backside double picks (much like Terry does now when Dirk isn't in the game). Kidd instigating, Terry working pick-n-pops, Dirk on pick-n-pop/rolls, and Damp (if in the game ) setting picks.

Truly nasty because if they double Bosh, Kidd can hit the set 3, Terry can kill you, Dirk is Dirk. If they don't, then if they keep the lane fairly clear, then Bosh can drive and kick, hit the set shot, or pass to a cutting Dirk or Terry.

Offensively, you run, and only get in the half court when needed.
Defensively, other teams will go small and run right back at you. Can Bosh be the last line of defense at the rim? Dirk at 7' is not a defend the rim guy as proven when Lafrentz was here. Dirk plays descent on the ball defense of big guys, but he is torched against smaller quicker guys, and is not a true shot blocker.

I don't know enough about Bosh to tell you whether he can have the offense run through him on one end, and still be the defensive linchpin on the other. Can Dirk be the same player he is now, without the offense running through him?

It Could work -- but it isn't IDEAL.

fluid.forty.one
02-02-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd rather have Bosh at the 5 than Bass..

dalmations202
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I'd rather have Bosh at the 5 than Bass..

Now you are talking apples to apples.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
02-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Like I said for the players mentioned I feel like the FO would HAVE to do it. But it's not enough that the Raptors would want to do it so it's kinda moot. The Raptors would rather have David Lee or Amare than the package we could offer. And there's probably plenty of other offers that teams would lineup for to get Bosh that would be more appealing than JHo/Stack/Bass. Cubes wouldn't give up Dirk for Bosh, would he?

Underdog
02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Cubes wouldn't give up Dirk for Bosh, would he?

Seems like the only point of acquiring Bosh would be to pair him up with Dirk, otherwise you're still no closer to a ring...

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
02-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Unless we go the route of rebuild, since Bosh is younger. But I don't see Cuban doing that, ever.