PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats send Morrison to Lakers for Radmanovic

Janett_Reno
02-07-2009, 06:03 PM
The Charlotte Bobcats traded managing partner Michael Jordan’s first draft pick on Saturday, sending struggling forward Adam Morrison and reserve guard Shannon Brown to the Los Angeles Lakers for forward Vladimir Radmanovic.

Jordan’s first major decision after becoming part owner with the final say on all basketball decisions was taking Morrison with the third overall pick in the 2006 draft.

The former Gonzaga star known in college for his shaggy hair and thin mustache never lived up to expectations, and had fallen out of favor with first-year coach Larry Brown. He was jettisoned for the 6-foot-10 Radmanovic, who was averaging 5.9 points and 2.5 rebounds a game with the Lakers.

“We definitely wish him well,” Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins said of Morrison. “He’s a good kid and hopefully he gets an opportunity to play. You never know, he might get a chance to win a (championship) ring.”

The move is the third trade the Bobcats have made this season in a roster shakeup under Brown, who is trying to get the fifth-year Bobcats to the playoffs for the first time.

Morrison and Brown were never a good fit. Morrison’s defensive deficiencies didn’t mesh with Brown’s style, and Morrison had failed to hit shots consistently, struggling in a starting role the past four games after small forward Gerald Wallace suffered a partially collapsed lung and a broken rib against the Lakers on Jan. 27.

Morrison, who cut his trademark hair short before this season, will get a chance to crack the Lakers’ rotation and become an outside scoring threat. Morrison, who averaged a nation-best 28.1 points for Gonzaga in 2005-06, missed all of last season after tearing an anterior cruciate ligament in a preseason game.

Morrison, due about $5.3 million next season, was averaging just 4.5 points while shooting 36 percent from the field and 34 percent from 3-point range.

The 6-foot-10 Radmanovic, who is owed $13.4 million over the final two years of his contract, gives the Bobcats more depth up front. Higgins said Radmanovic can play both small and power forward.

“Being a 6-10 guy, obviously he brings some height as well as some athleticism,” Higgins said. “He’s guy that can make some shots. I think he will fit in with our current roster well.”

Shannon Brown was signed in the offseason and had played sparingly until Friday night, when he committed a turnover and had a shot blocked in the closing seconds of a 102-97 loss to Atlanta. A groin injury to starting shooting guard Raja Bell put Brown into the lineup.

Higgins said they were arranging for Radmanovic to fly from Cleveland, where the Lakers play the Cavaliers on Sunday, to Miami. The Bobcats play the Heat Sunday night.

alby
02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
not thread worthy, already posted in general NBA forum

but anyways, a pure salary dump for LA

Janett_Reno
02-07-2009, 06:20 PM
It shows what a great team does. The Lakers. I can't stand the Lakers but it just shows you they could sign Shawn Bradley and Charles Barkley today and sign them to long term and in a few months dump them on somebody and get something for them. That is why the Lakers and the Spurs will always be close to the top of the west for years to come because very seldom do they make mistakes or if they do, they correct the mistake fast. Other teams in the nba should learn from them.

alby
02-07-2009, 06:58 PM

fluid.forty.one
02-07-2009, 07:02 PM
oh man. My friend is a huge Gonzaga and Laker fan.. he's going to glorify this trade in such an annoying fashion.

Janett_Reno
02-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Look at who Jordan has drafted so far. Remember when Gasol couldn't be the number one man? Now he looks great. I am not saying this with Morrison but with no pressure at all for him now because of all the stars and players that teams must defend on the Lakers team, if he ever gets a chance to play, he could possibly do something.

They payed Radman way to much for what he was but again the Lakers could sign Spud Webb now and make teams believe he had good worth left in him and get a possibly good player with upside or if not just dump the cheaper player at some point.

Morrison is very lucky on what just happened to him and he really needs to try to buckle down and show what he can do, shoot, if he can because this is his chance, even if it is practice time, or garbage time to prove he could play.

MavsFanFinley
02-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Not a fan of Morrison but it would be just our luck for him to flourish with the Lakers.

Dirkadirkastan
02-07-2009, 07:54 PM
DIE LAKERS DIE

Tokey41
02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Remember how Morrison was compared to Larry Bird back before he was drafted (if only because of the moustache)? It's kind of funny he's on the Lakers now.

Janett_Reno
02-07-2009, 11:36 PM
It is true how he was comparred and he so far has totally flopped. It will be interesting to see if he is a total flop. He was fun to watch in college with JJ Reddick that year. Reddick has been a flop also but i don't think he has played much. Radman seemed to be very hot or very cold and was never consistent with the Lakers but had good height for a shooter outside.

I guess my fear is when a player goes to the Lakers, they suddenly do good. They got rid of Radman's contract no matter if Morrison does good or bad. Going back and looking at Bird, he was one amazing player and even if Morrison would have been a fourth of Bird he would have been good.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
02-08-2009, 01:04 AM
The way I look at it if he can't excel in Charlotte how is he going to in LA? The pressure will be 10 fold. He'll probably hardly sniff the court.

Underdog
02-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Adam Morrison is going to have a NBA Championship ring on his finger...

:rolleyes:

ty
02-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Adam Morrison is going to have a NBA Championship ring on his finger...

:rolleyes:

Will that make him cry too?

horse900703
02-08-2009, 08:16 AM
fell bad for Radmanovic

Dtownsfinest
02-08-2009, 10:28 AM
The way I look at it if he can't excel in Charlotte how is he going to in LA? The pressure will be 10 fold. He'll probably hardly sniff the court.

I think the pressure is actually lower in LA. He's not expected to do anything. It wouldn't shock to see him flourish. Not to mention he plays with Kobe who demands double teams.

AxdemxO
02-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I think its a good trade for the Lakers and I ALSO think that Morrison will improve a lot there and will see the court. Hes still a very young player and he can become a good player in the right place, and this could be it

purplefrog
02-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Spurs Interested In Kings' Salmons, Miller?

Feb 08, 2009 7:46 AM EST
The Spurs reportedly have interest in Kings guard John Salmons and center Brad Miller, and they are exploring ways to acquire them in a trade.

San Antonio is even looking to see if Sacramento is interested in Robert Horry, according to a source, who the Spurs could sign and deal.

Horry would then be waived by the Kings, taking home money for nothing, but allowing Sacramento to get out from underneath the contract of either Salmons or Miller.

It's possible that Michael Finley could be involved in a deal between the two teams as well.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57095/20090208/spurs_interested_in_kings_salmons_miller/

If the Spurs get Salmons I will be even more po'd at our FO. You just can't sit around and watch your competitors get better and say "We like our team" when you're losing too many games by 20 or 30 pts.

bernardos70
02-08-2009, 12:56 PM
If the kings want to get rid of either one of them as a salary dump, I say we go after that pansy Brad Miller. Seriously, is even our garbage inferior to the Spurs' garbage?