PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' 2001 pick Javtokas career in jeopardy after motorcycle wreck

DTL
05-07-2002, 05:04 PM
ESPN link (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0503/1377600.html)Friday, May 3
Updated: May 6, 3:16 PM ET

Javtokas' career in jeopardy after motorcycle wreck
Associated Press

VILNIUS, Lithuania -- Lithuanian center Robertas Javtokas, a second-round draft pick of the San Antonio Spurs last year, was in a motorcycle wreck that could end his playing career.

Javtokas' motorcycle collided with a minivan at a high speed Wednesday, according to Dr. Manvilius Kocius of the Vilnius University Hospital. Javtokas' thighbone was crushed, and his shoulder, knee and kidneys were injured in the crash. He was in serious but stable condition Friday.

Javtokas' helmet probably saved his life, Kocius said.

"I can only say now that he will survive," he said. "Will he ever play again? We don't know."

The 6-foot-10 Javtokas played eight games at Arizona in the 2000-01. After being drafted 56th overall by the Spurs, Javtokas returned to Lithuania to play.

R.C. Buford, the Spurs' assistant general manager, on Friday called Javtokas "an intriguing prospect," though he said the primary concern now is that there are no lasting ramifications from the accident.

"He's one of the best big men in Europe, with great athletic skill for a European big guy," Buford said. "By consensus of the basketball people in Europe that I've talked to, he'd made great strides over the last year."

Drbio
05-07-2002, 07:32 PM
seems to be a lot of sad stories out there right now....this is really bad.

Murphy3
05-07-2002, 07:36 PM
yeah..unfortunate accident..i heard about it a couple of days ago

i'm not a big fan of motorcycles either..
does that make me homosexual blg?

walker727
05-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Totally different Murphy, and you know it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Yes, that was very unfortunate for him. I am not a real big fan of motorcycles either.

reeds
05-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Very sad. Maybe Jeff Kent should read that story- oh wait, he was washing his car- I almost forgot...

Drbio
05-07-2002, 10:23 PM
Kent got totally busted. Did he ever get fined or anything ?