PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Terry Porter Sacked.

Windmill360
02-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Word around the interweb is that Phoenix has fire Terry Porter. No official source has leaked this information yet but there are some phoenix boards stating this rumor. Most of this stems from 'insiders' from the Phoenix suns boards.

This could make the Shaq trade more of a possibility.

Underdog
02-13-2009, 01:38 PM
LET THE FIRE SALE BEGIN!!!!

(assuming the interwebs ain't lyin' to us...)

Zki41
02-13-2009, 01:40 PM
That was a short tenure ... I feel bad for him, but if it means us getting Shaq for Kidd and then waving Kidd, then I am satisfied.

Underdog
02-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Don't get too excited - Peter Vecsey is the guy who broke the "news"...

Suns deny report they will fire coach Terry Porter

link (http://ktar.com/sports/?nid=21&sid=1084503)

Phoenix Suns General Manager Steve Kerr denied a report Friday that the team is on the verge of firing head coach Terry Porter, 51 games into his first season.

"Totally false" Kerr said in a terse text message to Ryan Lindsay, producer of the "Doug and Wolf Show" on Sports 620 AM.

Kerr responded to a report by New York Post columnist Peter Vecsey.

Vecsey -- who is in Phoenix for Sunday's NBA All-Star Game -- reported the anticipated coaching change in Friday's column, saying Kerr would step in to coach the rest of the season.

"According to a Phoenix source, Porter will be replaced by Kerr, who recently completed a crash correspondence coaching course taught by (Kevin) McHale and Tony DiLeo," Vescey wrote.

The statement appeared in the middle of the column and did not contain any details.

Kerr's text message was the only response from the Suns.

The Suns have a 28-23 record at the All-Star break and currently are ninth in the Western Conference standings, a half game out of the playoffs.

The Suns are 3-5 in their last eight games.

DevinHarriswillstart
02-13-2009, 01:45 PM
They should fire Porter. He is not a good coach.

Usually Lurkin
02-13-2009, 01:50 PM
If Kerr became coach/gm, would that make it more likely that Shaq gets shipped, or that Amare gets shipped?

Flacolaco
02-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Steve Kerr killed the Suns.

jthig32
02-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't think the coach has any bearing on whether Shaq is traded.

DirkFTW
02-13-2009, 03:07 PM
They should fire Vecsey. What a douche.

That said, I would welcome whatever changes would be necessary for Phoenix to accept a Shaq/Barnes for JHo/Stack trade. I'd even throw in Bass as a sweetener... (except by Bass I really mean a bucket of fish).

Bayliss
02-13-2009, 04:31 PM
They should fire Steve Kerr so that he can go back to TNT and replace Reggie Miller.

DevinHarriswillstart
02-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Nash, Richardson, Amare and Shaq (with the way he is playing) should be a championship team, no?

buddha08
02-13-2009, 07:33 PM
I always believed they would fire Porter before reverting to the small ball, no defense of the Dantoni days (as would happen if they traded Shaq--not going to happen). I think Kerr still buys the "defense wins championships" philosophy. Terry was supposed to be about defense, but the Suns defense sucks. I get the Shaq clogging the middle so Amare can't get his points in the paint, but offense is not the problem. I wager there is no way Shaq gets dealt as they will still want Diesel to anchor the middle. Amare might still be dealt, but who knows?

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
02-13-2009, 07:47 PM
My prediction for next Suns coach: Avery Johnson

Itachi
02-13-2009, 10:50 PM

That would be interesting ;)

Usually Lurkin
02-13-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't think the coach has any bearing on whether Shaq is traded.

what if the coach is the gm?

jthig32
02-14-2009, 08:49 AM
what if the coach is the gm?

Still don't think it has any bearing. Steve Kerr does not want to trade Shaq, the owner does. Because the owner likes money.

BGMaverick9
02-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Both will be gone before the end of next season, Amare and Shaq.
It's just a matter of which one gets dealt first. I would be pretty surprised if they dump Porter this quickly, what a major admittance of a mistake.

purplefrog
02-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Porter Likely To Be Gone By Monday

Feb 15, 2009 10:30 AM EST
No final decision has been made, but there are strong indications that the Suns will fire coach Terry Porter on Monday.

Due to financial concerns, his replacement is expected to come from within, and assistant Alvin Gentry a likely successor.

Via Arizona Republic

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57252/20090215/porter_likely_to_be_gone_by_monday/#

DevinHarriswillstart
02-15-2009, 12:06 PM
LOL Alvin Gentry? He is just as bad.

MavsFanFinley
02-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Seriously. What's going on in Phoenix?

Gentry isn't going to turn it around there without some trades first.

MavsX
02-15-2009, 07:12 PM

i hope the suns hire avery johnson..let that retard f*ck up their franchise too.

chumdawg
02-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Bet they wish they still had D'Antoni. Why is it that franchises seem to have a habit of divesting themselves of the best talent they've had?

Bayliss
02-15-2009, 07:29 PM
No way Kerr hires Avery Johnson. If he wanted Avery he would have hired him last summer. And besides that, Avery and Kerr do not like each other. Mike Fisher has documented some of their stuff when they both played in SA.

Windmill360
02-15-2009, 07:29 PM
looks to be almost official now:

Gentry in, Porter out for Suns

Alvin Gentry will take over Monday as the Suns' interim head coach with first-year coach Terry Porter being fired by then, multiple team sources confirmed Sunday.

Porter is being replaced by his lead assistant coach after the Suns went through a 6-10 stretch that put them at 28-23 before the All-Star break. In June, Porter had signed with Phoenix for a three-year contract, which sources said Sunday was guaranteed through the third season in contrast to previous reports. His annual salary was in the $2 million range.

Gentry, 54, joined the Suns as an assistant at the outset of the franchise's turnaround upon Steve Nash's arrival in 2004. He was the only coaching staff holder from the Mike D'Antoni staff and is expect to return the Suns' to their previous season's style, a change that had been underway since December.

This will be Gentry's third stint as an interim head coach and his fourth turn as a head coach in the NBA, where he has coached for 20 years. Gentry also was a midseason replacement for Kevin Loughery in Miami and Doug Collins in Detroit. Including Gentry's work as the Los Angeles Clippers' coach, he had an overall record of 177-226 but was coaching far less talented teams than this Suns one that is currently a ninth-place disappointment in the Western Conference.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/02/15/20090215spt-sunsporter.html

The Crippler
02-15-2009, 08:01 PM
nm...wrong thread.

BGMaverick9
02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Big big mistake letting D'Antoni go

alby
02-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Mike Dan and Tony brought a very entertaining style of play. But if Phoenix really is in the business of winning rings and not just regular season games, than I don't believe that it was a mistake.

BGMaverick9
02-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Mike Dan and Tony brought a very entertaining style of play. But if Phoenix really is in the business of winning rings and not just regular season games, than I don't believe that it was a mistake.

Phoenix only wants to do one thing right now, unload salary.
They wanted a new philosophy and it never worked with Porter. It seems like he couldn't get it right in keeping a decent balance between uptempo and half-court. With Nash and Amare, you STILL have to keep the tempo up. They went in the right direction with getting Richardson, because they still need shooters, but I think Porter went too heavy (especially lately) on Shaq.

I don't know how you can paint a pretty picture know with the Suns. I don't think you can do that, and have D'Antoni look like a reason for this downfall. He's off the hook now and he still comes out as a good guy in this. The style might've gotten them as far as they could go, they swung for the fences though and tried to change, but it's going to probably screw that franchise up now.

Flacolaco
02-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Lost in all of this is that Steve Nash is now wasted and spent.

That is a gargantuan Stockton/Malone like waste. (And unfortunately, what will probably be known as a Dirk-Nowitzki-like waste :( )