PDA

View Full Version : NBA cap to drop in 2010

quietsavant
02-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Cap Expected to Drop in 2010?

Posted: 2/15/2009 12:11:00 PM
Source: John Hollinger of ESPN.com

Finally, let me share a juicy tip from a league source on the state of the salary cap. Basically, the situation will be worse than many people expect, and the luxury-tax level next season will be set even lower than what several teams are currently planning for. The implications will be huge as we head into next season.

Here's the more interesting part of what I was told: Next season's luxury tax might just be the tip of the iceberg. The salary cap (and thus the tax level) could drop massively in 2010; my source used the term "bloodbath."

This would have huge effects on the pursuit of big-game free agents, of course, but also on the luxury-tax level for that season which could push many more teams over the line and lead to fire-sale-type trades.

All this would be a prelude to the labor negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement in 2011. If money gets as tight as some project, things could get ugly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=All-Star-Notebook-090215

In reading this article, 2010 may yet be worth waiting for.

DubOverdose
02-16-2009, 07:26 AM
It may also pay to plan for 2011, as in make trades that will have cap room cleared for 2011.