PDA

View Full Version : Chandler traded to OKC Thunder

DevinHarriswillstart
02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Chandler for Wilcox, Smith...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3913301

Dirkenstien
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
This really surprises me. Their Paul/Chandler alley oop threat was great and Chandler really emerged during his career in New Orleans.

This makes the Hornets a little less scary, imo.

Stranger
02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Good... that guy hurt us in the playoffs last year.

TheMaverick
02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Fiscal reasons.

Underdog
02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
New Orleans just shot themselves in the foot...

Considering how much trouble they're having getting the city to foot the bill for their arena, when to we start taking wagers for a New Orleans-to-Seattle move?

ty
02-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Considering how much trouble they're having getting the city to foot the bill for their arena, when to we start taking wagers for a New Orleans-to-Seattle move?

The Supersonics would love Chris Paul!

TheMaverick
02-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Jeff Green
Blake Griffin
Tyson Chandler

Dirkenstien
02-17-2009, 02:17 PM
I wonder if they're regretting the Posey signing? Seems like they could have been able to keep Chandler without Posey's 20+ million dollar contract

Dirkenstien
02-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Jeff Green
Blake Griffin
Tyson Chandler

Looks like a solid foundation to build on even without Griffin. If they can land a quality 4 in the draft then they will have a lot to look forward to.

They also have 5 first round draft picks in the next two drafts.

Portland part 2?

SMC0007
02-17-2009, 02:22 PM

They may want to move their entire city to Seattle as well. Not a great place to be certian times of the year especially.

BGMaverick9
02-17-2009, 02:31 PM
I wonder if they're regretting the Posey signing? Seems like they could have been able to keep Chandler without Posey's 20+ million dollar contract

I'm pretty sure they are regretting it, in a sense. They wish it could've been 1-2 years less than what it is now. I'd still keep thoughts out there that they might try to find one more deal to help with the salary dump because it seems they're definitely looking to be in that mode right now.

fluid.forty.one
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Looks like a solid foundation to build on even without Griffin. If they can land a quality 4 in the draft then they will have a lot to look forward to.

They also have 5 first round draft picks in the next two drafts.

Portland part 2?

Honestly, I think they have more potential than Portland. (obviously portland is ahead in the near future)

It will be nice to see that douchebag Chandler rot at the bottom of the NBA for a season or two though...

dalger
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't have thought that our playoff chances could get better by just standing still and not even using Stack's contract this time. Granted there are two days left and something good might happen to us, but this Hornets/OKC trade alone could certainly hurt New Orleans and increase our playoff chances.

With that said, OKC could be one of the teams to really grow over the next couple of seasons.

Dirkenstien
02-17-2009, 02:40 PM
It will be nice to see that douchebag Chandler rot at the bottom of the NBA for a season or two though...

I agree. Karma looms when you mess with Dirk.

Tim Thomas anyone?

I'm still waiting for David West to get his.

spreedom
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I wonder if NO, in full-on cost cutting mode, would take Stack for Posey? Or George/JJB?

BGMaverick9
02-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I wonder if NO, in full-on cost cutting mode, would take Stack for Posey? Or George/JJB?

The problem with that is I don't think they'll see Posey as a good enough find for the price. He's good, but the problem is the length of his deal.

bobatundi
02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Stack/Bass/Williams for Chander would have worked cap-wise, and would have been virtually identical dollar-wise to NO (though actually about $2MM less this season), and we could have sweetened the pot with some of Cuban's money.

Let's hope we're saving Stack (and maybe Bass) for a deal that helps us more than Chandler would have, as opposed to just sitting around doing nothing.

Dirkenstien
02-17-2009, 02:56 PM

I don't think anyone is going to bail them out of that mistake.

alby
02-17-2009, 02:58 PM
either way, Roy in Portland and Durant in OKC are going to be superstars for years to come.

I would have been really worried if Amar'e had gone to Portland.. Roy's bball IQ when playing the pick and roll is one of the best in this league.

MavsFanFinley
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Terrible trade for NO. I understand it's about money but they obviously don't care about the playoffs either.

kg_veteran
02-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Terrible trade for NO. I understand it's about money but they obviously don't care about the playoffs either.

Exactly.

Bayliss
02-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah. Getting rid of Chandler is going to hurt them against the teams in the West. And it will definitely help Dallas. Wilcox can dunk but he isn't the presence off the screen and roll that Chandler has been in the past. And it really hurts them defensively for there is NO shotblockers on NO. If I was the coach I'd tell them to drive all day.

SeattleMavsFan
02-17-2009, 07:59 PM

god i hope so! i don't care what team comes to Seattle but we need a team again.

me770706
02-17-2009, 08:55 PM
tyson chandler is an over-achiever and benefited purely from playing with a PG the caliber of cp3..as long as the hornets sign a 7 footer who can get on the floor then they'll be fine. good for them for getting rid of that terrible contract

Dtownsfinest
02-18-2009, 03:44 AM
tyson chandler is an over-achiever and benefited purely from playing with a PG the caliber of cp3..as long as the hornets sign a 7 footer who can get on the floor then they'll be fine. good for them for getting rid of that terrible contract

I disagree. Take away any of the dunks he has or any of his offense. You gotta love his length and his rebounding and defense. And he's 26 years old so I think you can at the very least argue he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Trust this is nothing more than a cost cutting move. That's it. It has nothing to do with Chandler's play on the court.

DevinHarriswillstart
02-18-2009, 03:51 AM

You can't really argue with record though.

21-11 with.

.500 ball without...(what like 9-9 or 8-8?)

MX425
02-18-2009, 07:51 AM

your sig almost made me throw up

TheMaverick
02-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Watch Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox end up being perfect for that team, lol sigh.

Dirkenstien
02-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Watch Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox end up being perfect for that team, lol sigh.

I think they'll be decent with their style of play on offense but defensively New Orleans simply does not have that 7 ft shot blocking presence anymore. Now guys like Peja become even more of a liability because they don't have that safety blanket to fall back on when the opponent drives right around him.

They were already thin up front. Now they have nothing there.

muzak
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Thank god...no more of those darned lob passes.

GuerillaBlack
02-18-2009, 04:20 PM
It's really to bad that this isn't happening in the City of Seattle though. Must suck for their fans to see their team blossom in another city.

rabbitproof
02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
CHANDLER TRADE GONE BYEBYE?

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57374/20090218/breaking_news_thunder_rescind_chandler_trade/

Time to rape-ify the Hornets?!?!

Dirkenstien
02-18-2009, 10:04 PM
CHANDLER TRADE GONE BYEBYE?

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57374/20090218/breaking_news_thunder_rescind_chandler_trade/

Time to rape-ify the Hornets?!?!

Interesting but I don't think our FO is clever enough to pounce on an opportunity like this.

Edit: This could also mean NO has a chance for a Do over here and hang on to him.

TheMaverick
02-18-2009, 10:07 PM
What can we throw at NO to get Chandler?

twistaeffect2004
02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't mind the Mavs getting in on Chris Wilcox myself.

Dirkenstien
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Let's just hope he doesn't go to another competitor (SA, Cle, or Bos)

BGMaverick9
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Interesting but I don't think our FO is clever enough to pounce on an opportunity like this.

Edit: This could also mean NO has a chance for a Do over here and hang on to him.

Is that REALLY going to end well for everyone though? They'll just try again tomorrow or do it in the offseason. They've already moved forward and said let's dump this.

AxdemxO
02-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I would rather go after Wilcox and see if maybe we can get Watson or someone with him in a small trade

bernardos70
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
What can we throw at NO to get Chandler?

Mind-altering hallucinogens. It seems teams just don't wanna do deals with us.