PDA

View Full Version : Cavs in on Shaq

Windmill360
02-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Cleveland Cavaliers are talking with Phoenix Suns about acquiring Shaquille O'Neal
by Brian Windhorst / Plain Dealer Reporter
Thursday February 19, 2009, 11:28 AM

TORONTO -- From the people around the league I am talking to today, the Cavs are one of the most aggressive teams at this point. They are convinced that they have an advantage as a buyer and do not want to let a chance slip past as teams everywhere are looking to sell.

Several reliable sources have told me they have offered Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic (only $1 million guaranteed) for Shaquille O'Neal. The Suns may want to keep Amare Stoudemire but now have abandoned their plans to play slow down and Shaq is in the way. Also, it would save them millions next season because Wallace's contract actually decreases next season and Pavlovic is not fully guaranteed.

This would be a massive transition for the Cavs, not exactly the sort of deal that doesn't alter the chemistry. I have no idea what it would do to the lineup but I do know Shaq has four championship rings, is having an All-Star season, has an expiring contract next year, and has an excellent relationship with LeBron James.

Over the last few days I've had people throw water on a lot of potential Cavs moves. This one, though, seems to be getting traction right now.

Also, the Cavs are refreshing talks for Richard Jefferson to see if the Bucks will bite. The latest I heard was that Milwaukee is hoping for a better offer elsewhere.

Stay tuned.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/02/cavs_being_hugely_active_going.html

Underdog
02-19-2009, 11:15 AM
No...

MX425
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Awesome. Now the NBA won't know what to think. Do we rig it so the Celts face the Lakers in the Finals, or do we get Shaq and Kobe together in the finals. Maybe David Sterns head will expolde trying to figure out which story ESPN would beat off more.

Dirkgreatness
02-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Great..... =/

TheMaverick
02-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Kobe -> Wade -> Lebron

wow Shaq

DavidDaMonkey
02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
LeBron and Shaq on the same team? I'm not entirely sure that anyone could stop that. Ever.

quietsavant
02-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Chad ford is reporting the deal doesnt seem likely

Underdog
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Chad ford is reporting the deal doesnt seem likely

Why do I suddenly feel love toward Chad Ford?

Dtownsfinest
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd be shocked if the Suns dealed any of their players. Any of their top 6 players anywa.

TheMaverick
02-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Wouldn't Shaq take away Lebron's pick and roll game?

Zki41
02-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Cleveland is only offering Ben Wallace and Pavlovic right now for Shaq - they aren't using Szczerbiak's expiring, which means things could change if they decide to formulate a trade with it. I would think Cleveland wants Stoudemire more than Shaq though.

Janett_Reno
02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
If i was Cleveland i would do all i could do to get Amare. Shaq and Z in the paint will be tough on Boston just like Mourning and Shaq was tough on us just standing at the goal. Either man won't be bad but Amare is the one they should go all out for.

If any trade is made today expect Cleveland to do something with Wally World, Pavlovic or Ben Ben. I respect what they are trying to do, to not wait but win a title this year and i thing with a major or minor piece or two they could.

Dirkenstien
02-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Supposedly Phoenix is asking for Wally's contract and Cleveland is refusing and trying to get a third team in on the deal. Unless they have a big trade lined up for Wally already then that's a questionable decision.