PDA

View Full Version : Amare could miss 8 weeks due to eye surgery

nikeball
02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3921500

Suns: Stoudemire could miss 8 weeks

A day after deciding to let the trade deadline pass without making a major money-saving move, the Phoenix Suns' inactivity has turned incredibly costly.

The beleaguered Suns announced Friday that Amare Stoudemire was forced to undergo eye surgery to repair a partially detached retina suffered in a Wednesday night rout of the Los Angeles Clippers. It is Stoudemire's second eye injury since October and the All-Star forward could miss the rest of the regular season.

Stoudemire's return to physical activity has been estimated at eight weeks by the Suns. He underwent surgery Friday morning, although the club said in a statement that "recovery varies on a case-by-case basis."

Underdog
02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Add this to the Rockets' woes and it looks like we won't be finishing any worse than 7th seed this season...

Flacolaco
02-20-2009, 11:33 AM
JET, T-mac, Bynum, Chandler, Amare, Flop-a-lot...

Who's next? geez.

TheMaverick
02-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Could miss? I heard it was a minimum of 8 weeks. Could miss the entire season.

Underdog
02-20-2009, 11:36 AM

Who's next? geez.

<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>

MavsFanFinley
02-20-2009, 11:36 AM
What a blow to the Suns.

Windmill360
02-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Well he was supposed to be using the goggles for the rest of his career due to the injury he suffered from Diaw at the beginning of the year.

jthig32
02-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Man..the Suns were already hurting financially. Missing the playoffs is not going to help that.

Not that I feel bad for them.

quietsavant
02-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Guy definitely doesnt deserve this

nikeball
02-20-2009, 11:56 AM

Dang, do you know him personally?

DevinHarriswillstart
02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
They should be happy they didn't trade Shaq. Their front court would be Lopez and Admunson right now lol.

quietsavant
02-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Dang, do you know him personally?

The league is competitive but at the end of the day, those guys out there are human beings like yourself. My son is about the same age as him, I would hate for him to be sidelined in his career after under going Microfracture knee surgery, and an earlier eye surgery. In the grand scheme of things, we all fly our mavs banner but you gotta feel for the guy. Now if that were KG, well thats a whole different story.

Windmill360
02-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't think they miss the playoffs.

nashtymavsfan13
02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
They're done.

BGMaverick9
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
I think they're going to have to scratch and claw to stay in the race. I won't say they are out but they're definitely going to have a struggle. The implications for them missing the playoffs is making Sarver cry himself to sleep every night.

The Mavs keep getting better while pieces fall all around them. Hopefully Jet is the last setback we have this year.

Windmill360
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM

Well it could have been completely avoided had he worn the goggles.

Not saying he deserves this though.

MavsX
02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
woo hoo!

quietsavant
02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Well it could have been completely avoided had he worn the goggles.

Not saying he deserves this though.

I see your point. But most players dont feel comfortable with goggles, as it is very restraining, and bothersome. And as you sweat it fogs up. Which leaves you constantly removing it to wipe it up.

horse900703
02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Wow, that will hurt the suns~

Windmill360
02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
I see your point. But most player dont feel comfortable with goggle, as it is very restraining, and bothersome. And as you sweat it fogs up. Which leaves you constantly removing it to wipe it up.

I'm sure they could find a pair for him that would fit comfortably. Plus the team would be dependent on him to wear those goggles. Now he doesn't put them on and he goes down with a nearly season ending injury, and it puts the suns in a whole different boat. It's kind of selfish of him.

purplefrog
02-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Who's next? geez.

Stern must have something up his sleeve (not that I'm paranoid).

nikeball
02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
I see your point. But most players dont feel comfortable with goggles, as it is very restraining, and bothersome. And as you sweat it fogs up. Which leaves you constantly removing it to wipe it up.

Not if you wear sunglasses like Antoine Carr.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/422388230_5c16066c6f_o.jpg

grndmstr_c
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Man..the Suns were already hurting financially. Missing the playoffs is not going to help that.

Not that I feel bad for them.
Yeah, talk about a team that might be in firesale mode next offseason.

MX425
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>
<please let it be Kobe>

hes just one good hit to a finger away

Dirkenstien
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM

Anyone that calls themselves the Black Jesus and tattoos that crap on their neck deserves this.

MX425
02-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Anyone that calls themselves the Black Jesus and tattoos that crap on their neck deserves this.

He really has that on his neck?

At least he didn't call himslef the Black Mamba 2 years after a rape case was dropped

Underdog
02-20-2009, 01:19 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/2782881318_b1e1f9e4fd_o.jpg

Dirkenstien
02-20-2009, 01:22 PM

At least he didn't call himslef the Black Mamba 2 years after a rape case was dropped

http://lowposts.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/tattoo_amare.jpg

Usually Lurkin
02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
They should be happy they didn't trade Shaq. Their front court would be Lopez and Admunson right now lol.

my thoughts, too. Of course, I'd rather their frontcourt was Dampier and Bass right now.

Murphy3
02-20-2009, 02:10 PM
The league is competitive but at the end of the day, those guys out there are human beings like yourself. My son is about the same age as him, I would hate for him to be sidelined in his career after under going Microfracture knee surgery, and an earlier eye surgery. In the grand scheme of things, we all fly our mavs banner but you gotta feel for the guy. Now if that were KG, well thats a whole different story.

Alot of them really aren't humans..or worth being called such at least. Maybe I'm a sorry guy, but I don't have alot of sympathy for some professional athletes even when they get injured.

Dirkadirkastan
02-20-2009, 02:19 PM
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8496/amarestoudemirejesushg3.jpg

Detached retina? That's some serious stuff.

Ummmmm Ok
02-20-2009, 02:23 PM
anybody think this is his way of being a baby for not being traded? kinda funny that he waited until AFTER the trade deadline to say he needed surgury on his eye. You could bet your ass that he would have played through it if he was elsewhere.

thurst0509
02-20-2009, 02:43 PM

I'm not an Amare fan, but to be fair, come on... at least educate yourself before you start wishing harm upon someone.

He's doesn't call himself Black Jesus. The media does, because it's a cute nickname that his fans love. Extra bonus is that it works both ways and his haters (such as yourself) like to get worked up about it as well.

You are correct that he has a tattoo on his neck that says "Black Jesus". He also has one on the other side of his neck that says "Lord Knows". Both are the names of Tupac songs. Amare is a Tupac fan and he tattoo'ed two of his favorite songs on his neck. He's stated several times in interviews what the tattoos mean, and has also stated that Black Jesus is not a nickname for himself.

ty
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
http://aguyonearth.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/kurt_rambis_ass_sorcerer.jpg

Dirkenstien
02-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Detached retina? That's some serious stuff.

lol

Dirkenstien
02-20-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm not an Amare fan, but to be fair, come on... at least educate yourself before you start wishing harm upon someone.

He's doesn't call himself Black Jesus. The media does, because it's a cute nickname that his fans love. Extra bonus is that it works both ways and his haters (such as yourself) like to get worked up about it as well.

You are correct that he has a tattoo on his neck that says "Black Jesus". He also has one on the other side of his neck that says "Lord Knows". Both are the names of Tupac songs. Amare is a Tupac fan and he tattoo'ed two of his favorite songs on his neck. He's stated several times in interviews what the tattoos mean, and has also stated that Black Jesus is not a nickname for himself.

I really don't care what his reason was for getting that crap put into his skin. He knew it would be associated with him and chose to put it in a place where it was easily identifiable and would demand attention. The fact is, people call him that because of his tattoo and it would be difficult to convince me that he didn't know that would be a possibility when he had it done.

Windmill360
02-20-2009, 03:05 PM
anybody think this is his way of being a baby for not being traded? kinda funny that he waited until AFTER the trade deadline to say he needed surgury on his eye. You could bet your ass that he would have played through it if he was elsewhere.

It happened in the Clipper game on the same eye that he injured back in October.

thurst0509
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I really don't care what his reason was for getting that crap put into his skin. He knew it would be associated with him and chose to put it in a place where it was easily identifiable and would demand attention. The fact is, people call him that because of his tattoo and it would be difficult to convince me that he didn't know that would be a possibility when he had it done.

So now he deserves injury because he didn't fully think through the repercussions of tattoo'ing his favorite song on his neck. Nice.

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by just saying "I don't care about facts - I hate him anyway"

Dirkenstien
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
So now he deserves injury because he didn't fully think through the repercussions of tattoo'ing his favorite song on his neck. Nice.

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by just saying "I don't care about facts - I hate him anyway"

Oh, I believe he did fully think through the repercussions but just didn't (and still doesn't) care because it brings more attention to himself, which in turn feeds his ego.

And on the contrary, I do very much care about facts. The facts are he has a tattoo with "Black Jesus" on his neck and his fans now call him "Black Jesus".

And as cruel as it may seem to say he deserves it, I don't hate the guy.

ghazi
02-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't count the Suns outta the playoffs. It's not unrealistic that they could go 19-10 or so without Amare, maybe that's all it would take.

But they might just be a .500 team from here on out, which won't do.

AxdemxO
02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
They wont miss the playoffs because Nash will carry them there now that he can run again. Nash probably feels like hes been let out of a cage and just wants to run, that will get them enough wins to make it. What happens after that IDK.

MavsX
02-20-2009, 06:22 PM

black jesus!

DevinHarriswillstart
02-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't count the Suns outta the playoffs. It's not unrealistic that they could go 19-10 or so without Amare, maybe that's all it would take.

But they might just be a .500 team from here on out, which won't do.

They could run-and-gun it to the playoffs. They kinda have to with a now weak front court.

Dirkadirkastan
02-20-2009, 08:42 PM
wrong thread

Nowitzki4President
02-20-2009, 09:48 PM
They could run-and-gun it to the playoffs. They kinda have to with a now weak front court.

They always run-and-gun to the playoffs. They can never run-and-gun themselves to the Finals though, especially with Shaq. The Sun's are in the same position as us this year, steadily getting worse and worse each year. It's a damn sad truth. Them being my 2nd favorite team, (The Mavs being my first obviously) it depresses the hell outta me. Their window of run-and-gun is closing with Nash's age. In my opinion both teams are one good trade and/or free agent acquisition from being a Finals contender, the Mavs are closer than them though.

monty55555
02-22-2009, 03:29 PM
I just heard in the Celtics vs Suns game that Amare could be out a MINIMUM of 8 weeks. Meaning, if everything goes "perfectly", then 8 weeks it is. But if not, he may need more surgery to repair the eye problem that he has. The 8 weeks I believe is for non-athletes. So it might really be longer than that.

alby
02-22-2009, 03:34 PM
No way he was coming back in 8 weeks

monty55555
02-22-2009, 04:33 PM
No way he was coming back in 8 weeks

I agree. It really all depends on how extensive the detachment is. And, more importantly, if the macula (area for good central vision) is affected. If his macula is affected, his chances of visual rehabilitation is already diminished significantly. If the macula isn't affected, meaning its a peripheral tear/detachment, then he may still recover and have good vision. However, it may take several months for this to happen. I've seen this first hand with the patients I've encountered. The main defining thing is if the macula is involved or not in the detachment and how soon after the detachment the surgery/treatment is performed. They can reattach the retina but visual rehab and prognosis is a totally different thing to consider.

Overall, it is a very serious eye condition. I wish him well in his future.

dalger
02-23-2009, 01:14 AM
I feel quite bad for Stoudemire. All rivalries aside, this sounds like a situation no one would like to find themselves in and much scarier than the usual sports injury. Hopefully, he will make a full recovery (after the regular season).

ghazi
02-23-2009, 04:47 AM
Looking at Suns schedule now... it's actually more brutal than I thought.

They're not getting into the playoffs unless WE let them get into the playoffs. Mavs and Suns have 2 games left v each other, one team or the other going 0-2 or 2-0 in those games can be difference between 8th or 9th.

Hopefully, we play well enough to get 4th/5th though. (5th more likely).

MavsX
03-06-2009, 10:58 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3957144

Amare won't be back this season
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

The Phoenix Suns had hoped that if Amare Stoudemire recovered quickly enough from surgery to repair a torn retina, he could return to the team for the playoffs, if it qualified.

Amare Stoudemire

Stoudemire

That hope was dashed Thursday, when the doctor who performed Stoudemire's surgery ruled out any return at all this season -- playoffs included.

"It's very difficult to explain to anyone how serious this is," Dr. Pravin Dugel said, according to the Arizona Republic. "It's more serious than any knee or ankle surgery. The healing is excruciatingly slow and delicate."

It had originally been hoped that Stoudemire could recover enough to resume activity in eight weeks. But Dugel said the recovery could take months, according to the report. And Stoudemire is not even allowed to attend Suns home games, due to the danger any jarring could pose.

Stoudemire suffered the injury to his right eye on Feb. 18 in a game against the Los Angeles Clippers. He suffered multiple tears and had a "very large" and "traumatic" retina detachment with blood in his right eye at the time of surgery, Dugel said.

"Now it's a matter of just waiting for his body to resorb the fluid," Dugel said, according to the report. "So far, it's resorbing slowly."

Surgery could accelerate that process, but the procedure could also cause a cataract, according to the report.

Stoudemire suffered a partially torn iris in the same eye early in training camp in October after being inadvertently poked by then-teammate Boris Diaw.

Stoudemire suffered no damage to the retina or cornea that time, but said he would likely wear protective goggles for the rest of his career to keep his eyes safe. But he ditched the goggles after seven games because he wasn't comfortable wearing them.