PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NBA Offseason Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

spreedom
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
We officially have our first trade!

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59699/20090609/raptors_trade_kapono_for_evans/

The Raptors will send Jason Kapono to Philly for Reggie Evans.

grndmstr_c
06-09-2009, 03:14 PM
^ Makes sense for both teams.

Bayliss
06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Toronto definitely got some balls for making that deal.

jthig32
06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
The Raptors continue to be the only team that ever does anything before the draft. Very funny.

Bayliss
06-09-2009, 05:19 PM
The Raptors continue to be the only team that ever does anything before the draft. Very funny.

I think it is that whole exchange rate thingy they are worried about.

MavsFanFinley
06-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I like the trade for Philly. Kapono is a nice Korver replacement.

MavsFanFinley
06-09-2009, 11:25 PM
As a Kings fan I'm thrilled with hiring this head coach. Good job Maloofs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuX8Xq3q3lFUFtHWmwr09.C8vLYF?slug=aw-westphalkings060909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

BGMaverick9
06-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I give him a season and a half before he's fired.

dirno2000
06-10-2009, 12:45 AM
He couldn't get his paperwork in fast enough:

MIAMI -- Forwards Jermaine O'Neal and Yakhouba Diawara of the Miami Heat have exercised options to remain under contract for next season.

Both had contracts mandating they "opt in" for the final years of their deal. O'Neal will make nearly $23 million in 2009-10, while Diawara's salary is around $900,000.

O'Neal averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds this past season for the Heat and Toronto Raptors. Diawara, who started 21 games in his first season with Miami and third overall in the NBA, averaged 3.4 points per game.

TheMaverick
06-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Kapono was a guy that I wanted us to pick up this offseason. He's a good Eddie Jordan player

MavsFanFinley
06-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I give him a season and a half before he's fired.

It's quite possible but they need someone to inject some life into the team and get some fans back in the seats. It may have to start with someone who is more offensive minded than defensively and get that team running instead of dribbling the ball around. They have a nice young core and some picks this year to add to that as well.

BGMaverick9
06-10-2009, 10:59 AM
It's quite possible but they need someone to inject some life into the team and get some fans back in the seats. It may have to start with someone who is more offensive minded than defensively and get that team running instead of dribbling the ball around. They have a nice young core and some picks this year to add to that as well.

They do have some good pieces but they are a long ways way from being considered a threat for the 8th seed or sniffing the playoffs. A team like Sacramento with owners that are bleeding money need quicker results than others usually demand.

alby
06-11-2009, 11:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4252041

He writes pretty well for someone that wasn't smart enough to take his own SAT's! ;)

MavsFanFinley
06-12-2009, 12:03 PM
They do have some good pieces but they are a long ways way from being considered a threat for the 8th seed or sniffing the playoffs. A team like Sacramento with owners that are bleeding money need quicker results than others usually demand.

I don't expect them in the playoffs this season but every rebuilding team has to start somewhere. They've put themselves in great position with trades they've made with a young core that has some experience at least. They'll be able to add 3 more pieces to that so the Maloofs will defenitely want to see some improvement this season for sure.

They have 4 starters locked in with Hawes, Thompson, Nocioni, and Martin. Westphal will play young guys and give rookies all the chances they can handle so I think Udrih moves to the bench should Rubio, Flynn, Holiday, Evans, whatever pg they select plays well enough to start.

The problem is filling out the bench. Udrih, Garcia, and Green is a nice start but they have some more work there.

BGMaverick9
06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't expect them in the playoffs this season but every rebuilding team has to start somewhere. They've put themselves in great position with trades they've made with a young core that has some experience at least. They'll be able to add 3 more pieces to that so the Maloofs will defenitely want to see some improvement this season for sure.

They have 4 starters locked in with Hawes, Thompson, Nocioni, and Martin. Westphal will play young guys and give rookies all the chances they can handle so I think Udrih moves to the bench should Rubio, Flynn, Holiday, Evans, whatever pg they select plays well enough to start.

The problem is filling out the bench. Udrih, Garcia, and Green is a nice start but they have some more work there.

Right, I agree with all of that...but I think it's going to take a pretty poised season or so to keep Paul in the HC spot. Sure they'll lose a lot of games but can they maybe beat some of those elite teams over the course of the year...can they stay close? Scott Brooks for the Thunder is who I'm thinking of who is a young coach who is probably being given the support and time for the situation to actually grow into something good, with other cases they're just not given the time.

So if there is only 1, 2, or 3 instances over the past few years where a coach is actually given some rope...it's hard to suggest that Paul can get the same window. I think it's even more difficult when the owners are bleeding money big time, they need change quick. That's not Westphal's problem...but it doesn't help his cause. Maybe it's a case where they do have the talent and the next coach ends up getting the credit because they "clicked" on his watch, that's happened before plenty of times.

MavsFanFinley
06-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Is this the 4th head coach in the last 5 years?? Something ridiculous like that so I put that on the Maloofs more than the coaches.

Maybe I'm too optimistic because I think this is the best position the team has been in for a while. They finally have something to work with and build on.

BGMaverick9
06-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Is this the 4th head coach in the last 5 years?? Something ridiculous like that so I put that on the Maloofs more than the coaches.

Maybe I'm too optimistic because I think this is the best position the team has been in for a while. They finally have something to work with and build on.

They definitely are in a better spot than they have been lately...but that stat you mentioned doesn't bode much confidence that he's got a good chance.

dude1394
06-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Ouch...

5. San Antonio's desire to acquire one more big man (preferably a floor-stretching big man) to counter the Lakers and Boston is no secret.

The surprise stems from the rumbles I've heard about Detroit free-agent-to-be Rasheed Wallace (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=883) having legit interest in joining the Spurs to team up with his 2005 NBA Finals nemesis Tim Duncan (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=215), with 'Sheed chief among the Pistons unsettled by the realization that big changes are undoubtedly coming in that locker room.

Don't see a real trade possibility here -- given that the Pistons are unlikely to take back anything other than expiring contracts for the expiring deals possessed by Wallace and Allen Iverson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=366) unless they have a chance to trade for someone like Stoudemire or Chris Bosh (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1977) -- but it's something to file away for free agency.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/mailbagESPN?event_id=3033).

MavsFanFinley
06-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I thought that blew over already? There was some rumblings that Wallace asked for a buyout so he could join the Spurs and make a championshiop run this season.

I'm sure there is interest there but I'd be surprised if the Spurs offered the entire MLE which I'm sure it would take to get him. I could be wrong if they're desperate enough and are unable to make a small trade or two to get someone else.

alby
06-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Boy, did we make the Spurs desperate or what =P

spreedom
06-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Apparently the Cavs can get Shaq for Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic.

Seriously... we can't do better than that???

chumdawg
06-14-2009, 04:33 PM
If he goes for that, it's because the two GM's are thick as thieves.

But then again, what we could offer wouldn't really be much more than that anyway.

DevinHarriswillstart
06-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Damp/Stack is a similar offer, but the Suns might want to send him east.

BGMaverick9
06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Damp/Stack is a similar offer, but the Suns might want to send him east.

That's probably our curse for the constant chasing of Shaq...he's always in our conference, we could definitely compete to get him but the teams don't want to have to face him 3-4 times and potentially in the playoffs.

MavsFanFinley
06-14-2009, 10:04 PM
The Suns would be smart to send him East.

A headline on realgm suggests the Suns might be trying to trade both Shaq and Stoudamire this summer.

BGMaverick9
06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
The Suns would be smart to send him East.

A headline on realgm suggests the Suns might be trying to trade both Shaq and Stoudamire this summer.

It looks like it's dump mode.
If you can't get Shaq, go for JRich.

spreedom
06-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Jeannie Buss said that Phil Jackson WILL return next year to coach the Lakers.

Blueprint79
06-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds like early reports are that the Magic are definitely interested in keeping Turkoglu. (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/06/16/magic.turkoglu.ap/index.html?cid=playoff1)

Underdog
06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Ya think?

(they'd be "92bDad-crazy" to let him go!)

CadBane
06-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I read Cleveland wants to keep LeBron too.

Referee
06-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Has the Turkish Prime Minister Racip Tayyip Erdoğan been informed of this???

dirk2003
06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Rumor: Devin Harris for #2 pick..

Dirkenstien
06-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Toronto is hoping to Sign and Trade Chris Bosh. Straight from the horse's mouth (Colangelo):

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59928/20090619/toronto_hoping_to_sign_and_trade_bosh/

Toronto general manager Bryan Colangelo feels as though the team's best course of action is to sign-and-trade Chris Bosh.

Bosh will become an unrestricted free agent after the 2009-10 season, which puts the Raptors in a difficult spot.

"We'll have the discussion, we'll talk about the pros and the cons, he'll most likely not sign it, and then we'll get in to next season, we'll figure out where we are," Colangelo said in an interview with The Fan 590 in Toronto.

"In respect to the situation for him, there will be a handful of teams next year - I'm guessing between five and ten - which will have maximum allowable free agent money, which means Chris is subject to walk to one of those deals. But, I have to reiterate the point that keeps being overlooked - we're the only team that can offer him a full six years versus five years, 10.5% increases versus 8% increases ... Basically equates to a $30 million dollar difference. So, even if he wants to leave, he's still better served, and we're better served if he works a sign-and-trade with us where we can get some sort of an asset back from the team that he's going to. And, I think that's probably the thing that we'll both push for because he'll benefit from it and we'll benefit from it, and that's why it's probably not time to panic now and make a bad deal."

TheMaverick
06-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Let the rumors fly!

TomThaMavsFan
06-19-2009, 09:02 PM
i hope so hard the Mavs are in the mix for Bosh, bringing him home would get the Mavs a proven scorer down in the post, and the tandem of bosh and nowitzki would be unstoppable. and send them josh while they're at it

TheMaverick
06-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Bosh has a midrange game, he doesn't play much in the post. With that being said, I would love to have him.

craggmac
06-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Get something done!

MavsFanFinley
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-June-22nd-3276

Various rumblings that are somewhat interesting.

Minnesota offered Mike Miller to the Clippers for Kaman but that was shot down. The Clippers countered with Camby instead.

Bobcats offering Raja Bell to the Warriors for Belinelli and Azubuike. Warriors would have to get Azubuike's consent though.

AxdemxO
06-22-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-June-22nd-3276

Various rumblings that are somewhat interesting.

Minnesota offered Mike Miller to the Clippers for Kaman but that was shot down. The Clippers countered with Camby instead.

Bobcats offering Raja Bell to the Warriors for Belinelli and Azubuike. Warriors would have to get Azubuike's consent though.

That would be a terrible trade for the Ws in my opinion

DevinHarriswillstart
06-22-2009, 04:24 PM
That would be a terrible trade for the Ws in my opinion

No kidding. I'm pretty sure the Ws aren't that stupid unless they are desperate to shed 'Buike's contract.

What the Miller for Kaman offer tells me is that lots of teams want Kaman. Sucks that there are so few true good centers in the league. Also seems like the Clippers would rather give up Camby if they had to choose.

Dirkenstien
06-23-2009, 10:07 AM
-Pistons declined Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen for Stuckey, Rip Hamilton and Prince.

-Wizards declined Amare Stoudamire and 14th pick for Nick Young or Javaris Crittenton, salary fodder, the 5th overall pick, and Caron Butler.

-Toronto still listening to deals for Bosh but nothing stellar yet.

MavsFanFinley
06-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't expect the Wizards to give the 5th pick away even in a weak draft. But they don't want to give anything of value up, expect you take back bad contracts, while wanting the other teams best player in return also. WTF?

TheMaverick
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I think the Suns are overvaluing the black jesus a little too much lol

MavsFanFinley
06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Spurs and Bucks talking trade? Is that all it would take to get Jefferson? Dallas better get on the phone right now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ah9xwoRqPbJOpgjFzmLMDnu8vLYF?slug=aw-jeffersontrade062309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SMC0007
06-23-2009, 11:49 AM
RJ doesn't make or break very many teams IMO. He could help the Spurs but he isn't getting them over the hump again. TDs health probably plays a much bigger role than them getting RJ. He would be a nice piece for Dallas but if that is the only move we make I'm not jumping for joy.

MavsFanFinley
06-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I think it would help the Spurs big time. Especially since they wouldn't be giving anything up of real value. Bowen would likely be waived and probably end back up with the Spurs.

They've been hurting for a small forward for a while now. He would fit perfectly and would be the best insurance they'd have if Ginobli goes down with an injury again.

The only gaping hole they'd have to fill would be a center which they'd have the full MLE to work with. Wallace, Gortat, or Zaza would probably be enough.

MavsFanFinley
06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
ESPN reporting it's a done detail. Details will follow soon.

twistaeffect2004
06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
GREAT trade for the Spurs.

I'm hearing they gave up Oberto, Thomas and Bowen.

Anyway you slice it, that's a great trade for San Antonio.

nikeball
06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
SUMB!TCH.

alby
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
FML

Dirkenstien
06-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Congrats to the Spurs there. That's a hell of a deal. Mavs fans are losing hope. Not only do we have to get better this off-season but we have to get significantly better just to counter how much better the Spurs just got with this trade.

It's like getting winded while you're getting your butt kicked in a race and then tripping. You were already tired and trying as hard as you could to barely keep up. Everything just got a lot more difficult.

MavsFanFinley
06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/48933597.html

Bucks immediately trade Oberto to the Pistons for Amir Johnson.

AxdemxO
06-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Lets just hope the Mavs do something. At this point am even for a SnT Kidd deal.

IMO you keep Dirk, Wright, Hollins, and Kidd if we can make other trades work and look for trades for everyone else.

spreedom
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
GSW trade Jamal Crawford to ATL for Claxton and Acie Law.

Crawford is not an elite-level player by any means, but this is a steal for the Hawks.

grndmstr_c
06-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Crawford's gone now too?????? Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Oh, wait a sec, Jamal Crawford sucks. Never mind.

DevinHarriswillstart
06-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I'm not too upset about Crawford.

Still, it shows trades are starting to boil. It's gonna suck if we hear Kaman is moved and not to us. THAT will suck monkey nuts.

sike
06-24-2009, 04:44 PM
It's gonna suck if we hear Kaman is moved and not to us. THAT will suck monkey nuts.
and that is NEVER a good thing.

dirno2000
06-24-2009, 05:55 PM
and that is NEVER a good thing.

What if you're a monkey?

MavsFanFinley
06-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Crawford fell out of favor with Nelson and the team almost as soon as he got there. No surprise they shipped him out. Sure, Atlanta is getting the better deal but it opens up room for GS to work with now.

TheMaverick
06-24-2009, 11:50 PM
GS now has A LOT of backcourt depth. I can see them making another move in the very near future.

MavsFanFinley
06-25-2009, 12:42 AM
GS is in an interesting situation. If I have there depth chart correct they don't have the backcourt depth I thought they did.

I'd be surprised if Claxton is not waived should they fail to send his expiring contract out. Law is key and could be the backup pg they've been looking for. CJ Watson played well for them but Law will easily replace what he brought imo.

Morrow, who had a break out year and was a hustle player that Nelson loved and crowd favorite, has a team option. I'd be surprised if they didn't excercise that option unless they draft Terrence Williams with the 7th pick. Of course, if they go with Williams then they need to ship out Belinelli and/or Azubuike.

Here's the depth chart. Morrow is in italics because of the team option.

Biedrins - Turiaf
Wright - Randolph
Jackson - Maggette
Azubuike - Morrow - Belinelli
Ellis - Law - Claxton

Hard to pass on Hill if he's there but you'd then have to move Randolph or Wright. Randolph has added 20 pounds of muscle and has grown. Just shy under 7 feet tall now. No way do you trade him off right now.

MavsFanFinley
06-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Finley's house is on the market. He's yet to pick up or decline his player option so the timing makes you wonder.

A poster with inside information said the Spurs had a deal in place to trade him and the 37th for a 1st rounder but couldn't pull it off because he hadn't picked his option up.

Wonder where he plays next year?

Dirkenstien
06-27-2009, 12:32 PM
The Pacers declined the option on Marquis Daniels, making him an unrestricted FA. Any chance we bring him back to the big D? I wouldn't mind doing that and then using our other trade assets to acquire a solid low post player like Kaman.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60122/20090626/pacers_decline_option_on_daniels/

Underdog
06-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I thought I was happy to see 'Quis go, but at this point I'd be happier to have him back!

Dirkenstien
06-27-2009, 12:47 PM
I thought I was happy to see 'Quis go, but at this point I'd be happier to have him back!

That was an idiotic Avery move in his quest to destroy this franchise. I'd be thrilled to have him back and I'm sure Howard would like it as well.

rakesh.s
06-27-2009, 01:25 PM
ehh already posted this in the mavs offseason thread, but marquis daniels is a must for the mavs..he's a legitimate 15 point scorer (unlike antoine wright and eddie jones), and he can play backup PG.

If the mavs can pick him up, and get Kaman/Gortat, and re-sign Kidd, next season should be a promising one.

CadBane
06-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Marquis Daniels has never scored 15 PPG in his life. The guy is not that good. He put up 13.6 last year due to massive injuries (mainly Dunleavy and Granger) giving him more PT and shots. He averages 9 PPG for his career and is a SG that shoots 20% from three. He averages almost as many turnovers as assists. The guy is a marginal "me first" SG with no range. Why some of you love him so much puzzles me. Oh, and he gets to the line 2 times a game.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
06-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Marquis Daniels has never scored 15 PPG in his life. The guy is not that good. He put up 13.6 last year due to massive injuries (mainly Dunleavy and Granger) giving him more PT and shots. He averages 9 PPG for his career and is a SG that shoots 20% from three. He averages almost as many turnovers as assists. The guy is a marginal "me first" SG with no range. Why some of you love him so much puzzles me. Oh, and he gets to the line 2 times a game.

Good post. There's a reason why the Pacers aren't picking up his option. (and it isn't because he's not white!)

fluid.forty.one
06-27-2009, 05:36 PM

He may not score 15 ppg, but he's a hell of a lot better than Write and Eddie Jones.

Plus, it will be easier for him to get shots when playing with Howard, Dirk, (maybe Kidd) rather than the scrubs in Indiana.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
06-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Also good point ^. To me I'd take Daniels over what we have as a last resort, but I don't think it makes us a contender by any means.

CadBane
06-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Well yeah, quis has more offensive game than Wright. But that's like saying JJB is a better PG than Tyrone Lue.

Dirkenstien
06-27-2009, 07:51 PM
If we had to use our trade assets to acquire a low post presence then I wouldn't mind signing Quis with the MLE. He's better than what we have now and he is a versatile player.

grndmstr_c
06-27-2009, 08:44 PM
If Parker goes to Europe or another team and a wing is still on the agenda in free agency I'd see if anything could be worked out with Hill or Barnes on the cheap before I'd offer any sizable portion of the MLE to Quis.

DevinHarriswillstart
06-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Didn't Kobe score a billion points on Quis? I just think that the Mavs need to stop living in the past and get some new players. We tried Quis, and it never got us a championship. Why go the same route?

jthig32
06-27-2009, 09:48 PM
If we had to use our trade assets to acquire a low post presence then I wouldn't mind signing Quis with the MLE. He's better than what we have now and he is a versatile player.

The entire MLE? Are you nuts?

TheMaverick
06-27-2009, 09:51 PM
For the entire MLE, I would rather have Marion.

dirno2000
06-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't think basketball's that important to him. That's why he hasn't improved since his rookie year. he's actually gotten worse.

Sadly he would actually raise our talent level but he's not the kind of person we should be adding.

TheMaverick
06-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Maybe, I am just not completely sold on Marquis.

Everyone is saying how Marquis may be the best thing to happen to Howard... but what if it turns out to be detrimental to the team. Two guys in the same crowd doing the same type of things... I'm not sure if Dallas and/or Josh can handle that.

BGMaverick9
06-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Good post. There's a reason why the Pacers aren't picking up his option. (and it isn't because he's not white!)

Why would you spend that much money on a clear backup to what you have at the guard/forward position? Sure there is a talent and injury issue, but it's just simple economics. If they can get him for a much reduced rate, it's a win-win.

Flacolaco
06-28-2009, 01:23 AM

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all

Ok, Mom.

Dtownsfinest
06-28-2009, 08:14 AM
That was an idiotic Avery move in his quest to destroy this franchise. I'd be thrilled to have him back and I'm sure Howard would like it as well.

Why is Avery getting blamed for that? I mean everyone could see Marquis didn't fit into his system but i'm sure he didn't want a IR player like Croshere for him in return.

EricaLubarsky
06-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Daniels has some of the weakest defense of any guard in the game, often looks lost in an offense, and even looks like he's daydreaming out there. He's a great guy at getting to the hoop and his midrange game is improved but he's one of the most one-dimensional players out there.

Btw the white joke is funny but true.

5-Nesterovic/Foster
4- Murphy/McRoberts/Hansbrough
3- Dunleavy
2-
1- Diener

As far as the all-white team, it looks like they need a starting PG, and a couple of SGs. Maybe theyd trade us Tinsley for Carroll and trade Rush/SnT Daniels for Ridnour.

Dirkadirkastan
06-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Why is Avery getting blamed for that? I mean everyone could see Marquis didn't fit into his system but i'm sure he didn't want a IR player like Croshere for him in return.

2007: The year of "veteran experience". Don't you remember? Avery loved that stuff.

fluid.forty.one
06-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Well yeah, quis has more offensive game than Wright. But that's like saying JJB is a better PG than Tyrone Lue.

It's different because Lue isn't our starting PG.

Dirkenstien
06-29-2009, 09:10 AM

Marquise could have been better utilized but Avery had to have his veteran players and had to stay strict to his system. He was a good guard and although I liked Croshere, we shouldn't have made that trade.

CadBane
06-29-2009, 01:06 PM
It's different because Lue isn't our starting PG.

Yet. ;)

nikeball
06-29-2009, 01:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnkwQIHAWXFjUdPizV_P5r05nYcB?slug=aw-yaorockets062909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Rockets could lose Yao for season—or longer

More From Adrian WojnarowskiDraft buzz: Trading game Jun 25, 2009

As the NBA draft approached, the grim truth about Yao Ming’s(notes) broken left foot hung like an anvil over the Houston Rockets. The fear isn’t that he’s just lost for next season, but longer.

The Rockets and Yao’s reps are frightened over his future, and the concern is the most base of all: Does Yao Ming ever play again?

“The realization has hit them that this is grave,” one NBA general manager said.

For now, the Rockets have privately told league peers it could be a full season before Yao might be able to return to basketball. Multiple league executives, officials close to Yao and two doctors with knowledge of the diagnoses are describing a troubling, re-fracture of his navicular bone. Three pins were inserted a year ago, but the foot cracked in the playoffs and isn’t healing.

“It sounds like he’s missing most of next season, if not the entire 82 games,” one league executive who has had recent discussions with the Houston front office told Yahoo! Sports. “That’s all that [the Rockets] will concede quietly, but they know it’s probably much worse.”

Houston general manager Daryl Morey refused comment on Monday and a team spokesman said the Rockets will not have further comment until Yao undergoes additional medical tests.

There’s no reason for the Rockets to disclose the severity of the injury, nor the uncertainty over Yao’s future. Before the Rockets go public with a dire diagnosis, they plan to send him to three more specialists this week, a source said. For now, the Rockets have season tickets and sponsorships to sell. For now, the Rockets will publicly decry these doomsday revelations as premature, but this is the reality that they’re working under within the organization.

This has turned into an impossible situation for the Rockets’ capable GM. Even if Yao plays again, Morey knows it’s just a matter of time until his lower body breaks down. His feet and ankles just can’t support the mobility of his 7-foot-6 frame.

With four surgeries in three years, the Rockets worried they were reaching a breaking point. Well, it’s here. After missing 86 games in the previous three seasons, the 28-year-old Yao missed a mere five this past regular season before injuring his foot during the Rockets’ second-round playoff series against the Los Angeles Lakers.

It wasn’t until last week when Houston issued a statement saying Yao’s fractured foot hadn’t healed properly, that he would be unavailable “indefinitely.” Prior to Thursday’s draft, Morey tried desperately to trade into the high lottery to take Spanish prodigy Ricky Rubio(notes). Houston needed a young star, but had too few assets to make a deal with Memphis or Sacramento. It seemed odd to teams that Houston had thrown Shane Battier(notes) and Aaron Brooks(notes) into offers within weeks of pushing the NBA champion Lakers to seven games in the Western Conference semifinals.

Now, the Rockets have tough decisions to make: Do they keep pushing Tracy McGrady(notes) and his expiring contract on the market or let the $22 million expire next summer? So far, Morey is getting offered bad contracts and junk talent for him. What’s more, does Houston re-sign Ron Artest(notes) to a $40 million-plus contract when contention is no longer viable? Why not create cap space for the summers of 2010 and 2011? Why not get younger now? Yao could opt out of his contract next summer, but odds are that Houston won’t so fortunate.

The Rockets should do themselves a favor and just start over. That isn’t easy in a sophisticated and rabid NBA market like Houston, but what everyone long suspected has reached fruition: Yao and McGrady are no longer a faulty foundation, but a collapsed one. Houston needs to proceed with an understanding that they’re no longer chasing the Lakers, but beginning again.

Rest assured, Houston has long been fearful that Yao’s responsibilities to the Chinese national team were rapidly contributing to his breakdown, and perhaps they’ve finally been met. Yao wouldn’t have missed the Beijing Olympics for the world, but it was clear he wasn’t fully healed in those Games. The Rockets paid a price for his nationalism, his obligation and now the darkest fears are close to confirmation: It isn’t just a season on the brink for Yao Ming, but perhaps a career.

Dirkenstien
06-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Nikeball,

Sorry didn't see this post before I made the thread on the topic. Huge potential loss for Houston.

nikeball
06-29-2009, 01:30 PM
haha no big deal,

Just think a lot of that is speculation, but we do know..that once big men start getting feet/leg problems they're pretty much screwed.

DirkFTW
06-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Wow that sucks. I feel bad for Yao.

Dirkenstien
06-29-2009, 01:34 PM
haha no big deal,

Just think a lot of that is speculation, but we do know..that once Big Men start getting feet/leg problems they're pretty much screwed.

I agree. We've been fortunate (knock on wood).

TheMaverick
06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
This was how Big Z was for the longest time, but he's been healthy for the last 3 years... so you never know anymore. Advancements in medical technology can do wonders.

dude1394
06-29-2009, 11:38 PM
So it looks like charlie V didn't get an offer. I'd like that dude on the team..

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
06-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Charlie V is rumored to go to the Cavs, according to Hoopsworld.

If that's true, give the Cavs the trophy.

dude1394
06-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Charlie V is rumored to go to the Cavs, according to Hoopsworld.

If that's true, give the Cavs the trophy.

What for, the MLE? He's a free agent so they can't offer him more than that.

TheMaverick
06-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Not sure how that gives them the trophy. What they need is another spot up guy IMHO. Someone like Finley even could average 10ppg for them next year.

Dirkenstien
06-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Charlie V would be a great upgrade for Cleveland with Shaq there now. He has range so he can be a kick out option and won't take up space around the basket.

jthig32
06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
I have zero interest in Charlie V.

Dirkenstien
06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I have zero interest in Charlie V.

Same here. Just doesn't make sense in Dallas.

BGMaverick9
06-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't have a link but it's on Sportscenter right now:
Michael Curry after 1 year has been fired as Head Coach of the Detroit Pistons.

MavsFanFinley
06-30-2009, 12:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4297296

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Guess they chose Rip.

Nowitzki4President
06-30-2009, 02:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4297296

The link isn't working for me. What does it say?

BPo001
06-30-2009, 02:32 PM
.The link isn't working for me. What does it say?

I don't have a link but it's on Sportscenter right now:
Michael Curry after 1 year has been fired as Head Coach of the Detroit Pistons.

sefant77
06-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Looks like Millsap and Lee are heading to OKC and Memphis.

Just the question who goes to which team. My guess Millsap OKC and Lee to Memphis.

dirno2000
06-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Jazz fans are pissed that Boozer didn't opt out. I didn't realize how much they hated him. If the fans are any indication of how the organization feels Det may be able to pick him up for a second rounder.

Dirkenstien
07-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Current Headlines:

Gordon and Villanueva are leaning toward deals with Detroit

Rudy Fernandez is upset the Blazers are trying to acquire Hedo

Boston is interested in Anthony Parker

Boston is pushing hard for Rasheed Wallace

The Utah Jazz will be looking to trade Boozer

...Interesting stuff.

Underdog
07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Current Headlines:

Gordon and Villanueva are leaning toward deals with Detroit

Rudy Fernandez is upset the Blazers are trying to acquire Hedo

Boston is interested in Anthony Parker

Boston is pushing hard for Rasheed Wallace

The Utah Jazz will be looking to trade Boozer

...Interesting stuff.

It would be even more interesting if Dallas' name appeared in that list of trade rumors...

Flacolaco
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM
NBA free agency is so anti-climactic. Let them sign today.

The NHL is having a crazy fun day right now because they can actually sign today, the first day of free agency.

jthig32
07-01-2009, 03:44 PM
NBA free agency is so anti-climactic. Let them sign today.

The NHL is having a crazy fun day right now because they can actually sign today, the first day of free agency.

Well if they made the negotiating day and signing day the same, it would be the later date, not the earlier one.

So I'm fine with the setup.

rabbitproof
07-01-2009, 06:38 PM
NBA>NHL

mmm thanks

Zki41
07-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Gordon and Villanueva were both just confirmed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4301111

sefant77
07-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Gordon and Villanueva were both just confirmed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4301111

Etroit Pistons in da house :D

Stuckey/Gordon
Rip/Gordon
Prince/Villa
Villa/Maxiell
Kwame

Hmmpf

TheMaverick
07-01-2009, 07:38 PM
11 mil for a bench player?

Stack/Howard/Dampier for Rip/Tay/Sheed(snt)

do it.

sefant77
07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Zach for QRich nach Memphis.

Wallace is the biggest idiot, Gasol earned the same :rolleyes:

dirno2000
07-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Zach for QRich nach Memphis.

Wallace is the biggest idiot, Gasol earned the same :rolleyes:

Exactly what I was thinking. They dump Pau Gasol because he was making too much and a year and a half later they trade for a lesser player with basically the same contract. Well, at least he doesn't have one of the worst attitudes in the league.

TheMaverick
07-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Conley/Jaric
Mayo
Gay/Warrick/Young
Randolph/Arthur
Gasol/Thabeet

IMO, they are heading in the right direction

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
07-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Conley/Jaric
Mayo
Gay/Warrick/Young
Randolph/Arthur
Gasol/Thabeet

IMO, they are heading in the right direction

Yeah everybody's getting better. I think if we stay put we may not even make the playoffs next year.

TheMaverick
07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
If we sign Gortat, SnT for Artest, and re-sign Kidd, the offseason would be considered a huge success.

1. We would be keeping Gortat from landing with our competitors
2. Artest would bring a mentality to Dallas that has not been seen since NVE
3. Losing Kidd would be utterly disastrous.

Artest's deal = Stack 7 million + Bass 3 million (half of 6mil bc of BYC) for Artest 8-9 million + Cook 3 million

Kidd/Barea
Howard/Terry
Artest/Wright
Dirk/Singleton
Gortat/Damp

I would be ecstatic with that lineup.

If you want me to really get going, move Howard/Damp for Rip/Sheed but let's not get too greedy... yet.

Underdog
07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Kidd/Barea
Howard/Terry
Artest/Wright
Dirk/Singleton
Gortat/Damp

I'd go to war with that lineup - they'd compete if Gortat can live up to the hype and nobody gets injured...

For the playoffs, remove Wright & Singleton from the equation - Howard can backup the 3 and Artest can backup the 4, which allows Terry to get more burn at the 2 (or even Barea, depending on the matchup...)

sefant77
07-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. They dump Pau Gasol because he was making too much and a year and a half later they trade for a lesser player with basically the same contract. Well, at least he doesn't have one of the worst attitudes in the league.

They saved exactly 1 year a few millions.

The prize was:
Marc + Zach instead of Pau = fail
or
Something better than Marc in a Pau trade 3 months earlier or later = fail

Wallace....

jthig32
07-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't understand what Detroit is doing. Their defense is going to be atrocious and They already have a somewhat undersized shooting guard.

Unload Billups so they can blow their wad on Ben Gordon and Charlie V? I'd be livid if I were a Pistons fan.

jthig32
07-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Ariza may leave Lakers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4301414)

This is the answer to all the people asking "why would the Lakers let him go?". The answer, of course, is MONEY.

dirno2000
07-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Always comes back to the money. Still, I would have bet anything that they'd have brought him back after the promise that he showed in the playoffs.

I wonder if this changes our thinking if we haven't made a formal offer to Gortat.

Underdog
07-01-2009, 10:27 PM

This is the answer to all the people asking "why would the Lakers let him go?". The answer, of course, is MONEY.

Boy, it would be nice to see the words "Dallas Mavericks" appear in one of these trade rumors (other than Gortat & 'Sheed...)

Didn't we used to get mentioned in EVERY trade scenario a short time ago???

BGMaverick9
07-01-2009, 10:30 PM

I mentioned a big reason on why they might let him go: they can take a quick look at their bench and realize two mistakes they've made. Sasha and Walton were really valuable to them and they kept them basically with MLE money. They really aren't a major factor, not a huge hindrance on their payroll but still. Ariza may or may not be the same situation, but I could see those two guys and the end result playing a role on their decision.

chumdawg
07-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Boy, it would be nice to see the words "Dallas Mavericks" appear in one of these trade rumors (other than Gortat & 'Sheed...)

Didn't we used to get mentioned in EVERY trade scenario a short time ago???Being mentioned in "EVERY" one is about tantamount to being mentioned in none of them.

darkwitzki
07-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Ron Artest could be departing the Houston Rockets after just one season with the team.

"NBA sources told FOX 26 Sports Wednesday it is unlikely free agent forward Ron Artest will return to the Houston Rockets."

"League sources told FOX 26 the Rockets would be willing to offer Artest a one-year contract at best. The sources said because of that the chances of Artest resigning with Houston are remote."

> Seems like Artest is available guys..

fluid.forty.one
07-01-2009, 11:05 PM
just about every blazer fan I talked to today said "we got hedo" but I see no evidence that says so...

Underdog
07-01-2009, 11:08 PM
just about every blazer fan I talked to today said "we got hedo" but I see no evidence that says so...

Don't folks in Portland smoke a lot of weed?

chumdawg
07-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Don't folks in Portland smoke a lot of weed?If I lived in Portland, I would smoke a shitload of weed.

BGMaverick9
07-02-2009, 12:35 AM
My new prediction (now with the Ariza info):
Artest goes to LA
Ariza goes to Cleveland

TheMaverick
07-02-2009, 12:38 AM
^

well sh*t

BGMaverick9
07-02-2009, 12:48 AM
^

well sh*t

Broussard from ESPN was on Sportscenter and said that Ariza met up with Mike Brown.

Ariza is apparently put off by the fact that LA doesn't want to offer any more than the MLE, so he's bitter and will look at other teams and maybe take a MLE from them instead.

Underdog
07-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Broussard from ESPN was on Sportscenter and said that Ariza met up with Mike Brown.

Ariza is apparently put off by the fact that LA doesn't want to offer any more than the MLE, so he's bitter and will look at other teams and maybe take a MLE from them instead.

Ariza knows where his next ring/meal ticket lies...

(Stern does too!)

bigox71
07-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Artest to Knicks according to his twitter

12 mil.

http://twitter.com/96TruwarierQB

grndmstr_c
07-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Is there any way to shoot people through the internet who keep reporting on what Artest is twittering?

Underdog
07-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Is there any way to shoot people through the internet who keep reporting on what Artest is twittering?

I'm working on it...

BGMaverick9
07-02-2009, 01:14 AM
I'm working on it...

Just make sure you tweet about it after you're done...otherwise it's not legit.

Underdog
07-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Just make sure you tweet about it after you're done...otherwise it's not legit.

I was going to put it up on my Friendster page...

;)

grndmstr_c
07-02-2009, 01:17 AM
F'n A! I wish one of these newbies would post something worth giving rep to.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Underdog again.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BGMaverick9 again.

BGMaverick9
07-02-2009, 01:18 AM
F'n A! I wish one of these newbies would post something worth giving rep to.

I'm glad the 3 of us are still on here right now to talk about this jibberish. haha

BGMaverick9
07-02-2009, 01:34 AM
Another tweeter, Adrian Wojnarowski (better street cred), suggested that whomever doesn't get Hedo out of Portland and Toronto will throw that money at Ariza.

grndmstr_c
07-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Another tweeter, Adrian Wojnarowski (better street cred), suggested that whomever doesn't get Hedo out of Portland and Toronto will throw that money at Ariza.
That's good news.

TheMaverick
07-02-2009, 01:49 AM
So Hedo/Ariza to Portland/Toronto -- any of those combo's
Cavs front runners for Artest?

What is Dallas doing?

I hope we retain Kidd, but I don't want to blatantly overpay him.

BGMaverick9
07-02-2009, 01:52 AM
So Hedo/Ariza to Portland/Toronto -- any of those combo's
Cavs front runners for Artest?

What is Dallas doing?

I hope we retain Kidd, but I don't want to blatantly overpay him.

Artest is impossible to get a read on. It's the end of day 1 of FA and he's teasing people and finding different ways to promote his label or something.

Bayliss
07-02-2009, 09:12 AM
The Mavs FO are like the nerds in Can't Buy Me Love. Sure they went to the dance, but when you just sit on the sideines and never do anything can you really say you went?

BGMaverick9
07-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Keepin' it in House...no more random threads!

Artest says he'll go to LA
Ariza says he'll go to...Houston?

Underdog
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Keepin' it in House...no more random threads!

Artest says he'll go to LA
Ariza says he'll go to...Houston?

Rockets fans jumping off of bridges in this thread too...

BGMaverick9
07-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Rockets fans jumping off of bridges in this thread too...

Houston Fans:
We got Ariza, yay...?
Who the F cares, I still live in G-D Houston!

MavsFanFinley
07-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Portland and Turkoglu strike a deal. 5 years worth around $50 million.

They have a glut they need to clear out I think.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60316/20090703/sources_blazers_turkoglu_strike_deal

grndmstr_c
07-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Um...so maybe Turk's not going to the Blazers?

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/hedo_turkoglu_rejects_blazers.html

monty55555
07-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Um...so maybe Turk's not going to the Blazers?

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/hedo_turkoglu_rejects_blazers.html

Wow.. I'm so confused. I thought it was a done deal.

jthig32
07-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Apparently Toronto is going to give him more money. Good for us, Portland doesn't get stronger.

DevinHarriswillstart
07-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Apparently Toronto is going to give him more money. Good for us, Portland doesn't get stronger.

Do you have a link that Toronto is back in the race for him?

Players do go for the money 9 times out of 10.

jthig32
07-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Yahoo! Sports reported that Turkoglu backed out of his earlier commitment and has his sights set on Toronto. Yahoo! Sports reported that Toronto can offer Turkoglu about $6 million more than Portland, but would have to trim its roster to do it.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4305310)

Nowitzki4President
07-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Hedo Turkoglu rejects Blazers, ends negotiations

Posted by Jason Quick, The Oregonian July 03, 2009 17:57PM

Categories: Breaking News
The Oregonian has learned that free agent forward Hedo Turkoglu has rejected an offer to sign with the Trail Blazers and has ended negotiations with the team.
He will leave town tomorrow morning.
More to come.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbla...s_blazers.html

Just thought this should become a thread. Now that he's rejected Portland, we want Gortat, Magic want Bass, it seems like everything has lined up perfectly for us to try a Sign and Trade with the Magic. You think we could pull it off?

What're your thoughts on the matter?

mavs777
07-03-2009, 10:00 PM
What kind of Deal is Turk pursuing? How would salaries match up for trade if he gets what he wants.

darkwitzki
07-03-2009, 10:34 PM
A big possibility.. if lucky, get Anthony Parker as well..

mavs777
07-03-2009, 10:45 PM
It's almost like this would make too much sense to happen

MavsFanFinley
07-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Interesting. Obviously about money which is no surprise. But it really bothers me when people back out of agreements. Thankfully it doesn't help Portland get stronger.

dirno2000
07-03-2009, 11:47 PM
According to Bucher it wasn't money it was his wife. She strongly preferred Toronto because it's a five hour flight from Turkey and has a bigger Turkish population.

chumdawg
07-03-2009, 11:54 PM
According to Bucher it wasn't money it was his wife. She strongly preferred Toronto because it's a five hour flight from Turkey and has a bigger Turkish population.I guess that's as good a reason as any.

Underdog
07-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I guess that's as good a reason as any.

It's definitely more noble than most...

dirno2000
07-04-2009, 12:13 AM
What a horrible turn of events for Shawn Marion. Earlier today the Globe and Mail reported that he had a 4 year $34MM on the table but was holding out for 5 and $50MM. A few hours later not only is that offer off the table but they renounced his right killing any potential sign and trade.

chumdawg
07-04-2009, 12:19 AM
He'll still get 30MM, probably. I can't cry too many tears for him.

grndmstr_c
07-04-2009, 02:17 AM
If you're Portland, is Lamar Odom now a target? Even if he's not the ideal fit, are you tempted enough by the opportunity to both add a quality player AND deal a significant blow to the Lakers?

darkwitzki
07-04-2009, 03:49 AM
I guess that's as good a reason as any. Do Dallas have Turks residents as well?

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't feel sorry for Marion at all.

An article on realgm suggests that Portland will turn their attention to David Lee.

LonghornDub
07-04-2009, 12:06 PM
According to Bucher it wasn't money it was his wife. She strongly preferred Toronto because it's a five hour flight from Turkey and has a bigger Turkish population.

Five-hour flight? Are they flying on the Concorde?

Underdog
07-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Five-hour flight? Are they flying on the Concorde?

Geodesics... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle)

LonghornDub
07-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Geodesics... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle)

Must be some pretty fancy Geodesics to turn a flight from Toronto to Turkey into 5 hours, when a flight from New York to London is about 7. ;)

From a bit of research here, http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightTracker/flightTracker.do, looks like New York to Istanbul is 7.5 to 8 hours, and Toronto is farther west than New York.

In short, Turkoglu's wife and Rich Bucher needs to educate themselves!

dirno2000
07-04-2009, 05:09 PM
My bad. I skimmed his post while waiting in line at the grocery store. He actually said it's an additional five hours.

LonghornDub
07-04-2009, 05:20 PM
My bad. I skimmed his post while waiting in line at the grocery store. He actually said it's an additional five hours.

Well, they still need to educate themselves, but now for reasons that are as of yet unknown to me. ;)

dirno2000
07-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Here's a behind the scenes look at a player/agent interaction that I found interesting. Ron Artest was filming a video for his blog on what sounds like the first night of free agency when his agent called to give him the rundown on where he stood and who was calling. Looks like the Lakers were on him early.

http://www.zshare.net/video/62232849d1d6c501/#

chumdawg
07-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Interesting stuff. I couldn't really make out what the agent was saying, before they put the main audio on him. What did he say with regard to the Lakers?

All around interesting, though. I like how the agent says "word on the street" is Turk is going to Portland. And "did you hook up with LeBron?" Didn't know that Artest's cousin did time with Lebron's pop.

EricaLubarsky
07-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Anyone read that Avery is most likely coaching Detroit?

chumdawg
07-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Anyone read that Avery is most likely coaching Detroit?I think I heard that he is meeting with Joe Dumars today. Not positive about that, though.

EricaLubarsky
07-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Ah found some linkage that wasnt just blog rumor...

Detroit Free Press:

Avery Johnson still top Pistons coach candidate
By VINCE ELLIS • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • July 4, 2009
http://www.freep.com/article/20090704/SPORTS03/907040347/1051/SPORTS03/Avery%20Johnson%20still%20top%20Pistons%20coach%20 candidate

Another day passes, and the Pistons are still in the market for a head coach.

And as of Friday, it still appears that former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson is the favorite.

ESPN.com reported that Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars, after speaking to Johnson by phone, plans to meet him Sunday at Johnson's home in the Houston area.

Johnson fits Dumars' stated goal of hiring an experienced coach, but snags could crop up.

Johnson has a career winning percentage of nearly 75% and was once two wins from an NBA title. That type of resume could make Johnson's asking price a bit steep.

Cleveland Cavaliers assistant John Kuester and Boston Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau have also been mentioned as candidates. Former Pistons coach Doug Collins withdrew his name from consideration earlier this week.

Dumars could expand his search, but that would seem to jeopardize his stated goal of having a coach in place by the time the team leaves for summer league play in Las Vegas next week.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
07-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Good luck Detroit.

dirno2000
07-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Interesting stuff. I couldn't really make out what the agent was saying, before they put the main audio on him. What did he say with regard to the Lakers?

All around interesting, though. I like how the agent says "word on the street" is Turk is going to Portland. And "did you hook up with LeBron?" Didn't know that Artest's cousin did time with Lebron's pop.

He started by saying that Houston wanted to talk tomorrow but that situation was up in the air due to Yao's health. Then the conversation went something like this:

Agent: I just talked to Mitch for about 30 minutes
Artest: What's he talking about
Agent: What do you think, he wants to get you a ring next year

He went on to say that he told the Lakers they were looking for more money but would keep in touch.

Kind of leads you to believe that Artest my have been their top priority.

Tokey41
07-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Does anyone understand why Toronto went after Hedo? A five year deal at about 10 million per year seems incredibly steep for a guy on the wrong side of 30 who isn't a flat out star. It was my impression the Raptors were rebuilding. Perhaps they were trying to convince Bosh to stay, but if that's all they have up their sleeve I don't think the investment is going to pay off.

As for Detroit and Avery, my only regret is AJ not getting the chance to coach Sheed and/or Iverson. I would have loved to see those two tear into him to the media.

chumdawg
07-05-2009, 04:15 PM
He started by saying that Houston wanted to talk tomorrow but that situation was up in the air due to Yao's health. Then the conversation went something like this:

Agent: I just talked to Mitch for about 30 minutes
Artest: What's he talking about
Agent: What do you think, he wants to get you a ring next year

He went on to say that he told the Lakers they were looking for more money but would keep in touch.

Kind of leads you to believe that Artest my have been their top priority.Cool. I can certainly understand the Lakers' interest in him. He's an absolutely perfect fit there.

Dirkenstien
07-05-2009, 08:25 PM
So, ...look like Sheed will be signing with Boston.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60357/20090705/rasheed_reaches_deal_with_boston/

Will be an interesting season next season but barring some kind of miracle move the Mavs chances are over.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
07-05-2009, 08:31 PM
and they're after Grant Hill for the BAE. Do we really have a chance at the NBA championship? Every player just goes to the Lakers, Celtics or Cavs now. It would be an absolute shock if one of those 3 teams didn't win it.

It's kinda pathetic that this is becoming such a top-heavy league when there's a salary cap that's supposed to prevent that. It's becoming like baseball all the sudden.

TheMaverick
07-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Celtics Lakers finals again?

sigh.

MavsFanFinley
07-06-2009, 11:55 AM
I wonder if Wallace or Perkins will come off the bench? It would be a steal if they could get Hill with the LLE too.

RareMilk
07-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I have absolutely nothing to do so I'm going to watch the Orlando Summer League which starts in 10 minutes. It is OKC vs ORL if you wanted to know.

http://www.nba.com/magic/2009_Orlando_Pro_Summer_League.html

fluid.forty.one
07-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm obviously so glad that Hedo wasted some prime FA period time for the blazers.

MavsFanFinley
07-06-2009, 04:21 PM
So the Spurs don't make a very hard push for Wallace but they're willing to throw the whole MLE at Glen "Big Baby" Davis?

That's according to some reports. huh.

CadBane
07-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Psycho T with 17/8 in his first summer league game.

dirno2000
07-06-2009, 05:46 PM
So the Spurs don't make a very hard push for Wallace but they're willing to throw the whole MLE at Glen "Big Baby" Davis?

That's according to some reports. huh.

I don't understand that at all. Especially since they drafted Blair.

The fact that Dallas was reportedly interested Davis leads me to believe that his agent is feeding a lot of this stuff to the media.

TheMaverick
07-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I thought they offered Sheed the MLE, he just decided to be KG's lapdog instead

grndmstr_c
07-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I just don't understand offering Davis the MLE, period. No qualifiers necessary to make that one questionable, IMO.

TheMaverick
07-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I agree, I would go after Powe before Davis

grndmstr_c
07-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree, I would go after Powe before Davis
I'd go after Bass before Davis. Especially if I'm the Spurs and I have a pronounced need for athleticism at the 4/5.

TheMaverick
07-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Good point, signing Bass would really be sticking it to Dallas imo.

darkwitzki
07-06-2009, 10:07 PM
This from Big Ed Sefko:

The NBA's version of American Idol will begin later this week in Las Vegas when the summer league cranks up.

The Mavericks have an interesting roster, which includes first-round draftee Roddy Beaubois and a few intriguing other names.

One that you won't recognize on the list below is Moussa Seck, but let me assure you of one thing. After meeting him over the weekend, I can assure you that this is one tall, skinny dude.

He's probably a few years away from being NBA-ready. But he's got that one thing that no coach can teach. We've got a photo that we'll try to dig up and post ASAP.

By the way, not all of these players will go to Vegas. Some will be cut before the team leaves.

Numerical Roster

1 Aaron Miles G 6-1 175 Kansas
3 Rodrigue Beaubois G 6-2 182 Guadeloupe
4 Quinton Hosley F 6-6 210 Fresno St.
6 K.C. Rivers G/F 6-5 215 Clemson
7 Curtis Jerrells G 6-1 201 Baylor
8 Rudez Damjan F 6-10 200 Croatia
9 Luke Jackson F 6-7 215 Oregon
10 Henry Dugat G 6-0 174 Baylor
13 Nick Calathes G 6-6 194 Florida
14 Mickael Gelabale F 6-7 215 France
20 Herbert Hill F 6-8 235 Providence
30 Shan Foster G 6-6 205 Vanderbilt
34 Ahmad Nivins F 6-9 242 Saint Joseph's
35 Trent Strickland F 6-5 215 Wake Forest
44 Andre Brown F 6-9 245 DePaul
50 Alfred Aboya F 6-9 245 UCLA
51 Moussa Seck C 7-4 220 Senegal
55 Bryson McKenzie F 6-10 230 Northern Illinois

Head Coach: Monte Mathis, Toledo Assistant Coach: Darrell Armstrong, Fayetteville State

Moussa Seck - A black Bradley?

MavsFanFinley
07-07-2009, 12:36 AM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/no-big-baby-off.html

According to the SA Express the Spurs FO hasn't talked to Davis since Wallace announced he would be signing with the Celtics. Looks like their focus has now shifted to McDyess.

Also interesting is that the Spurs signed Marcu Haislip. It's already been confirmed by the FO but the details of the contract are unclear. Most reports say it's a 2 year deal starting at $1.9 million but it's unclear whether it's with the LLE or part of the MLE.

darkwitzki
07-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Adding McDyess instead of Marion is interesting..

FiZth
07-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Welcome to Hollywood Ron!

Ron Artest, Michael Jackson Tribute:
http://neswsports.com/2009/07/06/ron-artest-michael-jackson-tribute-that-just-happened-video/

Underdog
07-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Adding McDyess instead of Marion is interesting..

That would definitely allow us to trade Damp for a starting SG...

mqywaaah
07-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Ok, kind of off topic. But I am confused a bit. Now the Orlando Pro Summer League is happening, and then there is the Rocky Mountain Revue, and the Vegas Summer league. In which are we participating, cos last I checked we weren't in the OPSL, but we are in that one which will start on Jul the 10th. What is that league called? RMR or Vegas Summer League and which team are in which? Every when do these Leagues happen? WTF is going on? Where the hell is Horse?!

dirno2000
07-07-2009, 11:34 AM
The Rocky Mountain Review is the Utah summer league but it's been cancelled this year. We usually play in Vegas then go to Utah. As far as I can remember we've never played in the Orlando league.

Your question was kind of confusing so hopefully this answers it.

MavsFanFinley
07-07-2009, 11:59 AM
The Pistons should be thankful they couldn't agree to terms with AJ.

purplefrog
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
The Pistons should be thankful they couldn't agree to terms with AJ.

Yep. Avery's ego gets in the way... again!
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60393/20090707/report_pistons_pass_on_johnson/#

tomly
07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
aj can shove it!

MavsFanFinley
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq8syxuv_NLAxrSlcaJyr9q8vLYF?slug=aw-freeagentbuzz070609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Yahoo sports says the Spurs are the front runners for McDyess. They're one of three teams offering him the full MLE for 2 years. The other two teams are Cleveland and Orlando.

TheMaverick
07-07-2009, 05:02 PM
That would be a good move for SA. If Ariza signs with Cleveland, they are going to be a tough team.

If the Lakers lose Ariza AND Odumb... are they as explosive? I think they would significantly drop off.

MavsFanFinley
07-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Looks like the Spurs have sweetened the pot with that partially guaranteed year.

FWIW, Ric Bucher was on ESPN saying the Spurs were the clear frontrunners.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/spurs-out-in-fr.html

According to a league executive with knowledge of the negotiations, the Spurs have offered McDyess a three-year deal starting at the full mid-level exception, with the third year partially guaranteed.

dirno2000
07-07-2009, 06:27 PM
That would be a good move for SA. If Ariza signs with Cleveland, they are going to be a tough team.

If the Lakers lose Ariza AND Odumb... are they as explosive? I think they would significantly drop off.

I'd love to see Odom gone but it doesn't seem like anyone else wants him.

dirno2000
07-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Ariza was on an L.A. radio station talking about the way things went down. According to him the Lakers never really made a formal offer. They basically told him that they thought he was worth something around the MLE and to go out, get an offer and bring it back to them.

He's been taking some heat for overplaying his hand but I believe that Artest was the target all along.

I can't express how much I want this thing to blow up in their faces.

MavsFanFinley
07-07-2009, 11:54 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12773201?source=rss

Denver and the Birdman agree to a 5 year/$26 million dollar deal.

chumdawg
07-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Ariza was on an L.A. radio station talking about the way things went down. According to him the Lakers never really made a formal offer. They basically told him that they thought he was worth something around the MLE and to go out, get an offer and bring it back to them.

He's been taking some heat for overplaying his hand but I believe that Artest was the target all along.

I can't express how much I want this thing to blow up in their faces.We love you, Steve Nash. You are so, so, everything to us. I even wear your buddy's t-shirts. Now just go tell me what the price is...

...and I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!

Dtownsfinest
07-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I'd go after Bass before Davis. Especially if I'm the Spurs and I have a pronounced need for athleticism at the 4/5.

I don't know about that. I think Big Baby in the post season showed he may have more of a future in this league than a reserve role. I think Big Baby might end up being a solid starter in this league. I don't understand the Spurs pursuing him but if its because they want a young power forward on the come up I can understand that.

Dtownsfinest
07-08-2009, 12:00 AM

I'm surprised Spurs didn't go after him since he's a Texas native. I imagine no one wants to pay that much to someone who was just out of the league for drugs though.

sefant77
07-08-2009, 12:03 AM

Thats a lot of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Y7GMPJO64

MavsFanFinley
07-08-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm surprised Spurs didn't go after him since he's a Texas native. I imagine no one wants to pay that much to someone who was just out of the league for drugs though.

Character issues aside, I don't think the Spurs are looking to lock players up that long. They seem to be focusing on the next 2-3 years that Duncan/Ginobli have left to make a championship run.

TheMaverick
07-08-2009, 12:54 AM
I would love for the situation to blow up in LA's face as well.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
07-08-2009, 01:54 AM
I don't like the Spurs getting RJ and McDyess I think that makes them better than us even if we get Marion.

That Dice is a beast, I read somewhere he can give you 10 points and 10 rebounds in 10 minutes.

If he played 48 minutes that would be 48 points 48 rebounds in 48 minutes. He can ball.

DirkFTW
07-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Thats a lot of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Y7GMPJO64

I was thinking, it's a lot of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYS732zyYfU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZGMLP2pK8c)

TheMaverick
07-08-2009, 09:09 AM
I don't like the Spurs getting RJ and McDyess I think that makes them better than us even if we get Marion.

That Dice is a beast, I read somewhere he can give you 10 points and 10 rebounds in 10 minutes.

If he played 48 minutes that would be 48 points 48 rebounds in 48 minutes. He can ball.

Dtownsfinest
07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Character issues aside, I don't think the Spurs are looking to lock players up that long. They seem to be focusing on the next 2-3 years that Duncan/Ginobli have left to make a championship run.

Yea I guess that makes sense. They're really going all for it this year. I guess in previous seasons there wasn't much out there. I don't remember them ever being this active in free agency.

MavsFanFinley
07-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Yea I guess that makes sense. They're really going all for it this year. I guess in previous seasons there wasn't much out there. I don't remember them ever being this active in free agency.

The difference is that Holt is breaking open the bank. I guess years of being under the LT and understanding that Duncan and Ginobli probably have 2 good years left in them has opened his eyes.

Before, the Spurs could make a tweak or two and that would be enough but with other teams constantly retooling each summer SA has to keep up now. I think the original plan was to have cap space in 2010 but that would mean they couldn't make moves this summer. The early playoff exit bumped that plan up to this summer imo. Not a bad deal since they have Jefferson and from all reports could end up with McDyess too. Huge upgrade over Finley and Bonner.

The Spurs are so crafty too. The contracts of Jefferson and McDyess (if he signs) will expire the same year as Parker in 2011. Ginobli is a free agent next summer and his health this season will depend on how long they sign him to a new contract. Duncan will be the only big contract they have on the books.

Mason, Bonner, and Finley are all expiring contracts. If they land McDyess they probably call it an off season and let those guys run off the books. If they fail to land a big man they probably use a combination of those expiring contracts to get a big man.

sefant77
07-08-2009, 01:41 PM

That true, they would basically add Gino, RJ and Dice and move 3 last year starters to the bench.

Parker/Hill
Gino/Mason
Jefferson/Finley
Dice/Bonner
Duncan

Healthy and with a center more its a monster and really close to the Lakers. Even with Marion and Gortat we would be still a underdog against them but for sure could beat them in the playoffs.

sefant77
07-08-2009, 02:44 PM
NIKE PULLS DISAPPEARING ACT ON JORDAN CRAWFORD'S DUNK ON LEBRON

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2009/07/07/nike_pulls_disappearing_act_on_jordan_crawfords_du nk_on_lebron

Nike-Statement:

"LeBron James is god. It is simply logically impossible that he can ever get dunked on. There is no tape"

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2008/images/20030425007100510.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7025/jamesdunk.jpg (http://img29.imageshack.us/i/jamesdunk.jpg/)

dirno2000
07-08-2009, 11:46 PM
The Nuggets just lost their starting 2-guard

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090708/SPORTS04/90708067/1088/Pacers+agree+to+deal+with+Dahntay+Jones

MavsFanFinley
07-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Nice move by the Pacers.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
07-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Remember when we read a few weeks ago Cuban offered Varejao a 3 year 11mil contract?

The Cleveland Cavaliers have come to an agreement with free agent Anderson Varejao on a six-year, $50 million dollar deal, his agent Dan Fegan told ESPN.com.

No way he's worth that, but it's not my money.

MavsFanFinley
07-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Varejao is so not worth that much money.

In other Cavs news, looks like they'll be signing Anthony Parker. Good move there.

TheMaverick
07-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Anderson V just got paid....

sefant77
07-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I read its a Cuban contract, that last big year not guaranteed. Then it doesnt look SO awful.

EricaLubarsky
07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
According to Bucher, the Cavs just dipped into their MLE and signed Anthony Parker

3mil/3.2mil, 6.2million dollar two year contract-- 50% more than the BAE I was hoping to pick him up with.

grndmstr_c
07-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Rumors (espn) of a Utah/Portland/Chicago trade being discussed with Boozer going to Chi-town and Hinrich ending up in Portland. Not considered imminent.

Hinrich would be a strong acquisition for the Blazers. I still wish they'd sign Odom away from LA.

fluid.forty.one
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I wonder who Portland would have to give up? It would have to be one of their PGs since they already have 3, but that alone wouldn't get Hinrich.

badfish22
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
If Chicago got boozer they would be dangerous in the east.

sefant77
07-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I wonder who Portland would have to give up? It would have to be one of their PGs since they already have 3, but that alone wouldn't get Hinrich.

Probably just their capspace or nothing "big"

Utah getting rid of Boozer and getting just TT back
Bulls getting Boozer, Hinrichs hole they can fill and no need for TT with Boozer
Portland getting Hinrich as upgrade

Everybody wins.

MavsFanFinley
07-09-2009, 10:39 PM
That's one of the few trades I've seen where everyone wins.

sike
07-10-2009, 02:11 AM
If Chicago got boozer they would be dangerous in the east.

Get used to seeing Rose to Boozer highlights...

MavsFanFinley
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Asz4iRl_aU0trlan7dWZiXG8vLYF?slug=aw-hillsuns071009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&

Grant Hill will resign with the Suns on the belief that Nash is close to signing a contract extension.

They will also sign Channing Frye to a 2 year deal.

fluid.forty.one
07-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Goodbye, Brandon Bass.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
07-10-2009, 10:33 PM
+Gortat + Marion + Humphries + Juwai + Ross + Beaubois + Calathes + Nivins + Buckner
-Bass -George -Stack -Wright

I think we're way ahead. George and Stackhouse were additions by subtractions really.

BTW, is this right?

The Grizzlies received veteran guard Jerry Stackhouse from Dallas and a 2016 second round pick from the Toronto Raptors.

2016???? WTF? LOL

MavsFanFinley
07-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Blazers sign Paul Millsap to an offer sheet.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60492/20090710/source_blazers_offer_millsap_four_year_deal/

badfish22
07-11-2009, 12:20 AM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2009/07/10/NBA_20090710_GSW_HOU_1a.nba/

Steph Curry was my favorite player taken in the draft. Looked great here

Justin Credible
07-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Blazers sign Paul Millsap to an offer sheet.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60492/20090710/source_blazers_offer_millsap_four_year_deal/

Ha! Talk about playing hardball here.. They try to orchestrate a trade for Boozer and simultaneously go after the guy whom is the reason that they're open to getting rid of Boozer.. That kind of forces Utah to make a decision and get rid of one or the other as quickly as possible.

It makes you wonder if Dallas should be in the thick of this now considering the article on DB (Dallas for Boozer - Boozer for.....).

Jon Avalon
07-11-2009, 11:04 AM
2016???? WTF? LOL

bwhahahah 2016? damn, didn't know you can have picks that far in advanced lol.

Nowitzki4President
07-11-2009, 02:30 PM
It makes you wonder if Dallas should be in the thick of this now considering the article on DB (Dallas for Boozer - Boozer for.....).

With no stack chip, no S&T Bass, no Damp chip yet, and most likely not getting rid of JHo. What could we possibly put into a 3 team trade?

Dirkenstien
07-11-2009, 04:09 PM
With no stack chip, no S&T Bass, no Damp chip yet, and most likely not getting rid of JHo. What could we possibly put into a 3 team trade?

I think JHO would have to be in the deal. I wouldn't mind Boozer at the 5, though, for the right price.

alby
07-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Goodbye, Brandon Bass.
fine by me. I would have wanted a SnT with the guy but being a BYC player it was just too complicated.

+Gortat + Marion + Humphries + Juwai + Ross + Beaubois + Calathes + Nivins + Buckner
-Bass -George -Stack -Wright

I think we're way ahead. George and Stackhouse were additions by subtractions really.

BTW, is this right?

2016???? WTF? LOL
Would you say Memphis has the worst front office in the league?

I think JHO would have to be in the deal. I wouldn't mind Boozer at the 5, though, for the right price.
I do not want Boozer at the 5, at any price.

Nowitzki4President
07-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I do not want Boozer at the 5, at any price.

One could say Boozer has become a Loozer. Pun definitely intended ;):rolleyes: