PDA

View Full Version : Cavs and Suns "90% Done"

Nowitzki4President
06-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Apparently Shaq is going to the Cavs for Ben Wallace and Aleksandar Pavlovic + 46th pick. The deal is 90% done and needs to be approved by GM's.

MavsFanFinley
06-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Yahoo's Wojnarowski (who broke the Richard Jefferson trade) says it's a done deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aig.aLTDLqtBhuoEzjxGTt28vLYF?slug=aw-shaq062409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Nowitzki4President
06-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Yahoo's Wojnarowski (who broke the Richard Jefferson trade) says it's a done deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aig.aLTDLqtBhuoEzjxGTt28vLYF?slug=aw-shaq062409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Then there it is.

Now hopefully with Shaq talks done, we can get down to business and get Kaman!

MavsFanFinley
06-24-2009, 11:37 PM
It'll be interesting to see if they trade Stoudamire next.

BGMaverick9
06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
It'll be interesting to see if they trade Stoudamire next.

He's tainted goods...but someone will bite if they want to ship him out.

TheMaverick
06-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Can someone tell me why Phoenix did this? Doesn't Shaq have one year left? or does he have two

mac222b
06-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Can someone tell me why Phoenix did this? Doesn't Shaq have one year left? or does he have two

It's pretty obvious they did this for the late 2nd rd. pick!

rmacomic
06-24-2009, 11:58 PM
SHIT!

TheMaverick
06-25-2009, 12:00 AM
they simply traded contracts... Shaq is a 20m expiring, Sasha/Ben is a 19.95m expiring.
So essentially, they lose an 18/8 guy for a second round pick?

Um, what?

twistaeffect2004
06-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Cleveland obviously wins big here.

Shaq diesel obviously isn't what he used to be, but he's still a big time force in the paint. No one can argue that.

Also, Shaq found out he was traded via Twitter. Ya can't make it up.

MavsFanFinley
06-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Phoenix took a gamble on Shaq taking them to the next level and it didn't work out. I'm really surprised they didn't make this trade in February when they had the chance then.

Robillion
06-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Cleveland makes one good MLE signing or another decent role player trade, then I definitely see them going all the way. And you know what... I am rooting for them. Im a fan of both Lebron and Shaq.

Dtownsfinest
06-25-2009, 12:27 AM
WHy the hell do the Suns do this? Stuff like this pisses me off. It just seems like the Suns are trying to help out the Cavs in this deal. Unless they really want to make Amare the focal point of their offense. Which I guess makes a bit of sense to get Shaq out of there but goodness. Its not like Shaq is a bum.

TheMaverick
06-25-2009, 12:29 AM
So it's obvious that the Suns don't care about basketball anymore. It's about money. Would you guys go for a trade with Amar'e?

According to Ric Bucher, if Phoenix had it their way, Amar'e would be gone tomorrow.

ty
06-25-2009, 12:35 AM
So it's obvious that the Suns don't care about basketball anymore. It's about money. Would you guys go for a trade with Amar'e?

Hell yes.

Janett_Reno
06-25-2009, 12:36 AM
Phx did take a gamble because they never have a big man to score in the paint and can't stop anyone in the paint. They thought maybe Shaq was the answer and i don't blame them for taking the chance as they would have lost with that same team they had before Shaq. It will be hard for Phx to win a title not playing defense or having a stopper on defense in the paint. So i guess they will just be excitting an run again and who cares about a title. It isn't going to happen with Shaq there either.

Cleveland is very interesting. They are so good now anyway. Will they keep Z and have both Shaq and Z? What a powerful big men. One more physical and brute force and the other more shooting, in which both are getting old. What a battle with Boston, Cleveland and Orlando now. Detroit has slipped out of the picture. What a battle it would be if Shaq could stay healthy and be with Lebron and face the Lakers next year. If Gino get's healthy and with whom the Spurs just picked up, the Spurs could challenge the Lakers if Duncan, Parker and Gino are healthy.

TheMaverick
06-25-2009, 12:37 AM
They asked Washington to include Caron, so at the very least we would have to include Howard.

Would you guys do Howard/Stack/Damp/pick for Amar'e/Badcontract?

chumdawg
06-25-2009, 12:41 AM
They asked Washington to include Caron, so at the very least we would have to include Howard.

Would you guys do Howard/Stack/Damp/pick for Amar'e/Badcontract?Of course...but now they've dealt Shaq, they aren't dealing Amare.

Dtownsfinest
06-25-2009, 12:47 AM

According to Ric Bucher, if Phoenix had it their way, Amar'e would be gone tomorrow.

I just don't buy them trading Amare. I've been hearing about them wanting to get rid of him for 3 offseasons now. For them to want to give up on him must mean he's finished because he's a dominant big man in this league who's what? 25 or 26? Who gives that up? Especially a old Suns team? Makes no sense to trade him unless they want something even better in return. And I think we can write off any trades with Western Conference contenders.

Dtownsfinest
06-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Of course...but now they've dealt Shaq, they aren't dealing Amare.

That's what i'm thinking. Its hard to get a grasp of what the hell the Suns are doing these past 2 or 3 years but looking at what the Suns got in return for Shaq I think this is the Suns saying this is Amare's team and they're building around him. Unless they could get another young big in return like a Al Jefferson which I doubt.

TheMaverick
06-25-2009, 12:50 AM
I don't think it makes basketball sense to trade him. But, it looks like the owner does not care about the basketball part when owning a basketball team right now.

mac222b
06-25-2009, 12:50 AM

Hellz No

TheMaverick
06-25-2009, 12:51 AM
we got a hell yes and a hell no haha

mac222b
06-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Hellz No

That's our 4 best and only!chips for an injured dude

ty
06-25-2009, 01:06 AM
I would do it.

To get another star with Dirk, I would do it.

ty
06-25-2009, 01:07 AM
Hellz No

That's our 4 best and only!chips for an injured dude

Are you Donnie? :confused:

BGMaverick9
06-25-2009, 01:19 AM
I don't think it makes basketball sense to trade him. But, it looks like the owner does not care about the basketball part when owning a basketball team right now.

Sarver isn't thinking basketball, he's thinking about avoiding the LT and saving money where he can. Apparently Amare and management just can't get along, Marion was a malcontent there and at some point Amare was as well. Will Shaq leaving fix that or is what looming ahead make him more aggressive in wanting to get out.

The Shaq deal didn't do this at all but I think one reason they could think about trading Amare is straight up starting over. I don't see Nash sticking it out there past this coming season...they could look at trading him for a pick and maybe a pretty serviceable PG. Amare could still net you some future picks and etc.
They clearly aren't thinking basketball right now, just regrouping. They took a chance and it didn't work and they're over their budget.

Amare is just gonna be willing to wait around and see what Phoenix does? Shaq leave, Nash leave...that sounds good, riiiight. He'll probably WANT to bolt with everyone probably on their way out.

For Phoenix, it would be time to actually KEEP those picks and just try to start over and reorganize your franchise.

mac222b
06-25-2009, 01:21 AM
Are you Donnie? :confused:

Ummm.... round here them's fightin' words ;)

BGMaverick9
06-25-2009, 01:27 AM
If Amare is dealt...I don't see any reason again why it matters if we'd take him or not. Logic AGAIN suggests he'll go east.

Washington...I think so.

mavs777
06-25-2009, 01:31 AM

no shit in a milisecond could you imagine Kidd feeding Amare on the break? OH MY

TheMaverick
06-25-2009, 02:12 AM
2 yes's
1 no

mac222b
06-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Dirk and Amare defensively attempting to stop dribble penetration allowed by Kidd?

TheMaverick
06-25-2009, 02:27 AM
let it autoplay

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2F82272FE3AFC6E8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&v=TdijS-nfL6Q

jthig32
06-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Man, not a lot of nuanced salary knowledge in this thread so far....

Phoenix did this to save money (that's obvious). Pavlovic's contract is only partially guaranteed, so there's 3 mil in instant saving off his contract.

Also there's a lot of speculation that Wallace will accept a buy out and retire which could potentially save them a ton of cash.

Make no mistake, the Mavs could have made this trade and saved Cleveland more money (unless Wallace accepts a whopper of a buyout, I suppose). But as we've seen reported over the past few weeks, the Mavs clearly considered Shaq a backup, backup plan.

Sooo....it's in their court...again.

MX425
06-25-2009, 07:23 AM
According to sources, Shaq and Nash were having a hard time co-existing both in the locker room and on the court. They obviously want to keep Nash happy while saving the owner money. Dumping Shaq was a no brianer and to the Eastern Conference is just icing on the cake.

I am bummed we haven't made a move yet, but on the plus side, all the other teams that are looking to make moves are finding partners. Maybe we can luck out and there will still be one hot chick there waiting for a dance partner at the end. Didn't really want Shaq or RJ, so now teams that could throw money at players I would want (ie Kaman or VC) won't have the funds and thier teams now it. Kind of plays more into our hands in negotiations.

92bDad
06-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Cleveland makes one good MLE signing or another decent role player trade, then I definitely see them going all the way. And you know what... I am rooting for them. Im a fan of both Lebron and Shaq.

you must spread some rep before giving it to rob again.

Rob, I am on the same page as you on this...this will be fun to watch the Cavs going through the East next year!!!

As it stands, the Cavs have 2 of my favorite non-Mav players in Shaq and Lebron. I just hope Shaq has enough fire to get one more good year, especially in the post season!!!

DevinHarriswillstart
06-25-2009, 08:34 AM

Phoenix did this to save money (that's obvious). Pavlovic's contract is only partially guaranteed, so there's 3 mil in instant saving off his contract.

Also there's a lot of speculation that Wallace will accept a buy out and retire which could potentially save them a ton of cash.

Make no mistake, the Mavs could have made this trade and saved Cleveland more money (unless Wallace accepts a whopper of a buyout, I suppose). But as we've seen reported over the past few weeks, the Mavs clearly considered Shaq a backup, backup plan.

I'd LOOOOOVE to know who is NOT the backup backup plan.

Dirkenstien
06-25-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd LOOOOOVE to know who is NOT the backup backup plan.

I'd LOOOOVE to know if we even HAVE a plan.

SMC0007
06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I'd LOOOOVE to know if we even HAVE a plan.

No I don't think you would. You might be severely disappointed. ;)

dirno2000
06-25-2009, 10:37 AM
I guess the big positive from a Mavs perspective is that Cleveland's instant savings package is off the market. As far as I know nobody else is willing and able to offer instant relief on a $10MM+ a year player.....we are willing aren't we?

jthig32
06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I guess the big positive from a Mavs perspective is that Cleveland's instant savings package is off the market. As far as I know nobody else is willing and able to offer instant relief on a $10MM+ a year player.....we are willing aren't we?

A month ago I was absolutely positive that we were.

Now..I'm just about convinced we're not.

I'm just blowing in the wind I guess.

MavsFanFinley
06-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Ric Bucher says talks have stalled now but a trade was being discussed that would send Stoudamire and Barbosa to Houston for McGrady, Landry, and Brooks. Houston really wanted Richardson but the numbers wouldn't work.

TheMaverick
06-25-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks thig, I was waiting for someone to clarify my question. I guess the biggest losers here are the fans of the Phoenix Suns... unless they just care about the run n gun as well.

uberfan
06-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah, saw that. I bet they find away to make it work. Also heard Houston was trying to buy a first rounder. Yao's foot may not be healing as well as expected. I am sure they want to keep Artest and add to him. They are not going to stand pat.

Underdog
06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Shaq & LeBron...

(I bet David Stern looks like he crashed his car into a sperm bank right about now!)

TheMaverick
06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, saw that. I bet they find away to make it work. Also heard Houston was trying to buy a first rounder. Yao's foot may not be healing as well as expected. I am sure they want to keep Artest and add to him. They are not going to stand pat.
Rumors are flying out of Houston at an unbelievable rate.

horse900703
06-25-2009, 12:15 PM
It's done now, thats a big trade for the Cavs, they might go pretty far next season.

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
06-25-2009, 12:43 PM
If Donnie and Cubes makes no moves that is completely unacceptable and we should riot or write dirty letters! If Shaq is the backup backup plan and yet nothing happens that's better than your backup backup plan then it shows you must be completely f'n incompetent.

FINtastic
06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Shaq & LeBron...

(I bet David Stern looks like he crashed his car into a sperm bank right about now!)

Or Paris Hilton on an average Wednesday night?

DirkFTW
06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
I didn't know car was a euphemism for lady parts.

mqywaaah
06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Whoa. I wonder when we can make a big a statement like this?

aquaadverse
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Because if Shaq's not happy, no one's happy. He became a locker room liability down here, especially with the younger players. He's great for selling tickets and fun to have around, but it takes a coach he respects to make it work. He refused to follow the rehab program the Heat trainers gave him and they were a bit irritated at the pettiness of the lavish praise he heaped on the Phoenix staff.

A diminished skills Shaq is still a force in the paint if motivated but he isn't going to dominate for any extended period. It's not a bad deal for Cleveland, Kobe getting another ring will motivate him, but I wouldn't shed any tears you didn't land him.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2009/06/nothing-but-scorched-earth-for-shaq.html

ty
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Check.

92bDad
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I wonder if J. Kidd would be interested in signing a FA contract for less money to play with CLE?

Could be a very Boston type of set up to run through the East and ultimately the title. Could be a fun team to watch.

CadBane
06-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Relax guy's. I'm sure Donnie has an ace up his sleeve. I hear Yuta Tabuse has been studding it up in Summer League workouts. Then we trade for Sean Williams or Travis Diener, we're set.

FINtastic
06-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Gotta be kind of a depressing day for Cavs fans. You get all excited about making the move for Shaq and then the Magic come along and totally one-up you with the Vince Carter trade.