PDA

View Full Version : Cuban: Ming's not worth it

DTL
05-11-2002, 05:52 PM
link (http://www.nypost.com/sports/16007.htm)
CUBAN: MING'S NOT WORTH IT
by Marc Berman, NY Post

May 11, 2002 -- Mark Cuban, the Mavericks eccentric owner, warned GMs with high lottery picks to steer clear of drafting 7-5 Chinese center Yao Ming, saying that Dallas center Shawn Bradley "would eat his lunch."

"There's as good a chance of a GM losing his job over this as getting him stepping up to the next level," Cuban said Thursday.

Cuban, who has his own Chinese center in Wang Zhizhi, added, "[Ming's] going to be impossible to deal with, having dealt with the Chinese government. He's not going to be at his first training camp. You might not have him for a time at the end of the season. You're dealing with a country, a city, a GM from the Chinese Basketball Association. They all got to get paid. Talk about a posse? He has a posse two billion strong."

Asked if he would pick Ming with a top-five pick, Cuban said, "Hell no."

Knicks GM Scott Layden, who's been given indications Ming wants to play in New York, craves the center and feels working with the Chinese government will work itself out.

But Ming's stock has slipped slightly since his ballyhooed Chicago workout last week, with Nets GM Rod Thorn calling him "a small forward" after the potential No. 1 pick exhibited no post moves, shot-blocking ability or strength to defend down low. Sources told The Post Ming suffered from a bad toe during the workout.

"Shawn [Bradley] doesn't have the leg strength of Ming, but he's stronger in the upper body, believe it or not," Cuban said. "Shawn is more athletic. Ming is a better shooter outside 17 feet, but inside 17 Shawn shoots better.

"The key will be if [Ming] has the mental toughness to have the hell beaten out of him," Cuban added. "Some big guys like to stay on the outside and shoot the jumper, but how much will that help you? You still need someone who's a 5 out there to guard the 5."

Drbio
05-11-2002, 06:02 PM
Think Cubes is hoping to get him to drop down far?

MFFL
05-11-2002, 08:13 PM
I'm sure Cuban would pick him up with a 2nd round pick.

reeds
05-11-2002, 08:24 PM
Since when is Cuban an expert?

Drbio
05-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Two very good points.

MavsFanFinley
05-11-2002, 11:49 PM
Cuban is probably blowing smoke.

He may not have anything in the works to land him yet or maybe doesn't have any plans at all.

*shrugs*

But, this is the type of player that intrigues Nelson. And if temptation came calling, you can bet the boys will be listening.

DTL
05-12-2002, 12:01 AM
i want to know what Donnie thinks of Yao Ming

Drbio
05-12-2002, 12:07 AM
from what I hear Donnie says he pretty good on his feet and has a nice shot. Sounds Wang-esque.

MFFL
05-12-2002, 10:17 AM
<< But Ming's stock has slipped slightly since his ballyhooed Chicago workout last week, with Nets GM Rod Thorn calling him &quot;a small forward&quot; after the potential No. 1 pick exhibited no post moves, shot-blocking ability or strength to defend down low. >>

We have people on this forum who want to trade Finley for THAT?

We have a guy like that already - Shawn Bradley (except the mantis can block shots).

Drbio
05-12-2002, 01:56 PM
He is going to be an off-the-bench guy. He needs years to develop. We don't need any more of those kind of players on the Mavs.

MavKikiNYC
05-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Why's Cube poor-mouthin' Ming? What's his angle? Is he dissatisified with how the Mavs have been done by the Chines government vis a vis Wang? Or is he just trying to scare off bidders for Wang's services in the FA market this summer?

Who has scoop on this?

Drbio
05-12-2002, 08:51 PM
I'm guessing he is dissing Ming in hopes he might fall into a spot we can trade up to. Just my hunch...no facts to base it on.

MFFL
05-12-2002, 09:48 PM
I've always said that Ming was worth a look if we could get him without trading a core player. He's too much of a gamble otherwise.

Drbio
05-12-2002, 09:49 PM
I agree MFFL, but I just don't see anyone taking a non-core player to move up that far.

Kat
05-13-2002, 11:11 PM
Sounds like Cubes is voicing his disappointment in Wang. A whole lot of trouble for what? A possible good off the bench player in four years?

TheKid
05-14-2002, 04:19 PM
It sounds to me like a COMPLETE smoke screen.

Stu Jackson did the same thing with the Grizzlies. He said time and time again whenever anyone would listen, &quot;Bryant Reeves is at best a player that should come off the bench, there is no way we'll take him with our first pick.&quot;

Alot of GM's listened to that seeing how Stu was on the college level a year before and had seen the player play up close as he was on the committee for the USA team Reeves played for. Reeves was talked about being a top 3 pick. After Stu bashed him so much, he dropped to sixth or seventh I believe and guess who picked him up????? STU JACKSON AND THE VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES!!!!

So WHENEVER I hear a coach, or GM talking bad about a player, in my eyes there's something up. So do I think Cuban would do something, YES he would...

David
05-14-2002, 04:56 PM
<< It sounds to me like a COMPLETE smoke screen.

Stu Jackson did the same thing with the Grizzlies. He said time and time again whenever anyone would listen, &quot;Bryant Reeves is at best a player that should come off the bench, there is no way we'll take him with our first pick.&quot;

Alot of GM's listened to that seeing how Stu was on the college level a year before and had seen the player play up close as he was on the committee for the USA team Reeves played for. Reeves was talked about being a top 3 pick. After Stu bashed him so much, he dropped to sixth or seventh I believe and guess who picked him up????? STU JACKSON AND THE VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES!!!!

So WHENEVER I hear a coach, or GM talking bad about a player, in my eyes there's something up. So do I think Cuban would do something, YES he would... >>

I think that type of thing goes way back. I seem to remember something from Shakespere a long time ago, in Shakespeare's time, not mine, something about, &quot;methinks thou dost protest too much&quot; or somesuch. In otherwords saying the opposite of what you mean. Mark may be doing that.

Murphy3
05-14-2002, 05:24 PM
nellie does it alot too.. can't take alot of thingst they say too seriously

Drbio
05-14-2002, 06:46 PM
It sounds to me like a COMPLETE smoke screen.

You are exactly correct. It's not like the other teams are buying Cubes lines of crapola.

Epitome22
05-17-2002, 05:06 AM
What, does he think Ming will fall to 88th and we can steal him?

I think Cubes is just being honest about the guy sucking.

Epitome22
05-17-2002, 05:10 AM
Or perhaps he's using some king of double reverse psychology on them. He goes out of his way to talk about how badly Ming is overhyped, thinking that other GMs will be wary of ow he &quot;doth protest to much&quot; thinking Cubes is trying to pull the wool over their eyes. So they take Ming early on but little do they know that the guy really does suck and Cubes helps to trick a potential competitor into wasting their pick.

michecon
05-17-2002, 06:04 PM
Mavs doesn't need ming, but it's strange why they want to let media know their negatives, and at the same time just let out enough doubt on Wang's situation and left media guessing. so????

aexchange
05-17-2002, 06:37 PM
as far as wang goes, im guessing they dont want a repeat of the calvin booth incident from last year. last year, they had built up booth so much, that teams ridiculously overpaid him.

hopefully it wont happen this year with our FA's.

Murphy3
01-23-2003, 10:24 AM
just some old thoughts on ming..thought i'd bump it up

Drbio
01-23-2003, 04:13 PM
That was fun....good job murph.

snowmt
01-27-2003, 01:26 AM
This is probably Cuban's strategy. Some quotes of Nelie from a
recent Chicago Tribune Article

1) &quot;He's the best young player I've ever seen,&quot; Dallas coach Don Nelson said.
&quot;I told (Mavericks owner) Mark Cuban (before the June draft) if he ever
wanted to win a whole bunch of championships, he needed to find a way to get
him.&quot;

2) &quot;Guys like him who achieve what he has achieved want to show their skills
against the best, not against someone they can dominate,&quot; Nelson said. &quot;And
remember, he's making $2.5 million on the way to $15 million. He can buy a
place for mom and dad and his girlfriend. I'm afraid we'll be seeing him for
a long time.&quot;

--- from &quot;Though he's hit the wall somewhat, Yao Ming is All-Star worthy&quot;
By SAM SMITH, Chicago Tribune

If not for Wang's problem, Cuban might be more aggresive to acquire Yao.
Nelie's words justified a Finey + .. trade for the 1st pick. However,
Rockets got the 1st pick, and sticked to Yao. If Chicago got the pick, they
might be willing to deal with Mavs.

snowmt
01-27-2003, 01:32 AM
By the way, Yao finally had a ok performance since Jan. 8.
14 pts on 6 - 9 shooting and 8 rebs, including one shaq-like
bully to the baskets.

He was apparently not happy with Rockets' guard when saying
&quot;our assists are getting fewer and fewer these days&quot;. It's
ridiculous he got no touch of the ball for the first 9 minutes
in the 3rd quarter.

aexchange
01-28-2003, 11:37 AM
thats b/c houston doesnt pass the ball.

thank goodness the mavs have a team of unselfish players. otherwise, we would just be a team who never lived up to its potential.

much like the rockets.

TripleDipping
01-28-2003, 11:41 AM
<< By the way, Yao finally had a ok performance since Jan. 8.
14 pts on 6 - 9 shooting and 8 rebs, including one shaq-like
bully to the baskets.

He was apparently not happy with Rockets' guard when saying
&quot;our assists are getting fewer and fewer these days&quot;. It's
ridiculous he got no touch of the ball for the first 9 minutes
in the 3rd quarter. >>

Don't you know? Francis likes to beat other teams with his &quot;man to man&quot; game. It's frustrating for a guy to be open only to see his PG try some fancy one-on-one.

TheKid
01-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Yao will NEVER develop if he's playing with Showbley and Francis... They ignore each other sometimes they're so busy trying to get their shots off... It's ridiculous!!!!!!!