PDA

View Full Version : George Karl diagnosed with cancer

GermanDunk
02-16-2010, 11:19 PM
( Reuters )

DENVER, Colorado - Denver Nuggets coach George Karl has been diagnosed with throat cancer, the team announced Tuesday.

The 58-year-old, who was treated for prostrate cancer in 2005, coached the West's All-Star team Sunday and has led the Nuggets to the second best record in the Western Conference.

"The support I've received from my family, the Nuggets organization and my friends in the basketball community already has been incredible," Karl told reporters.

The Nuggets said they had known of Karl's condition for weeks and would support the veteran coach during his time away for treatment.

Karl agreed to a contract extension with the team last week that will keep him in Denver through the 2010-2011 campaign.

I wish him all the best and hope he is back well soon

bernardos70
02-17-2010, 01:51 AM
Tough pill to swallow, didn't his son have to battle cancer too very recently? I hope he gets better soon, no one deserves the type of suffering he's going through right now, first his son, now him. It takes its tow.......

Zki41
02-17-2010, 02:07 AM
I wish him well too. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think George Karl had a different type of cancer a few years ago. The guy is a fighter, and it's such a shame that he's been plagued by such an awful, awful disease. No one deserves to suffer like that.

fluid.forty.one
02-17-2010, 02:07 AM
That sucks... Best of luck to GK!

LetsGoMavs
02-17-2010, 05:07 AM
I also wish him all the best and a quick recovery - it was really hard to watch a strong guy like GK nearly cry during that press conference...