MavsX
02-19-2010, 10:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4927285

Conduct may have led to Howard trade
Comment Email Print Share
By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas.com
Archive

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Forward Josh Howard missed a game because of a hangover, according to multiple team sources, adding to his list of questionable off-court conduct toward the end of his tenure with the Dallas Mavericks.

More on the Mavs

News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and the rest of our team. Blog.

Multiple team sources said Howard missed the Mavericks' Jan. 20 win over the Washington Wizards because of a hangover after a night of partying.

That reaffirmed the Mavericks' intention to move forward without Howard, who did not start another game after sitting out against the Wizards, when he missed the morning shootaround and did not dress for that game. The Mavericks, who were already shopping Howard and wanted to protect his trade value, announced that he had a stomach illness.

Howard, who was traded to the Wizards last week as part of a seven-player deal that brought Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood to Dallas, told reporters after his Washington debut that he intended to "stick it to the Mavs." Howard did not immediately respond to a request for comment from ESPNDallas.com through the Wizards' public relations department.

Members of Dallas' front office stood behind Howard after a controversial stretch in 2008. Howard revealed in a radio interview during a playoff series against the New Orleans Hornets that he occasionally smoked marijuana. Days later, after a critical loss, Howard in the locker room passed out flyers to his birthday party, prompting then-coach Avery Johnson to cancel the next day's practice.

That summer, Howard was arrested in North Carolina for street racing. The incident was followed by a video surfacing of him disparaging the national anthem at a charity flag football game, with Howard saying, "I don't celebrate this [expletive]. I'm black."

Howard often clashed with Mavs coach Rick Carlisle over the last season and a half, although Carlisle has been nothing but complimentary of Howard before and since the trade. According to a source, Howard's diminished work ethic had become a problematic issue with players and coaches, which was one of the factors that led to the team's decision to trade him.

Howard had value to the cost-cutting Wizards because his contract, which includes a team option for $11.8 million for next season, is expiring.

Tim MacMahon covers the Mavericks for ESPN Dallas. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.

Ridiculous. Looks like he became a bum. Kinda sad.

MavsX
02-19-2010, 10:26 AM
i think once Howard realizes how crappy it is in Washington he might feel remorseful of how good he had it in Dallas

dude1394
02-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Ouch...that's pretty much the final word...good luck josh, maybe you can grow up now without mommy/daddy taking care of you.

FINtastic
02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Reason #1045 to be thankful for this trade.

dirno2000
02-19-2010, 04:47 PM
That doesn't make sense to me. The game was at what, 7:30? I can see missing an early shoot around with a hangover but not a game.

Just211
02-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm sure he missed the shoot around, and they told him not to worry about game.....

he probably wasn't hung over, he was exhausted.....from drinking all night

DevinHarriswillstart
02-19-2010, 05:20 PM
That doesn't make sense to me. The game was at what, 7:30? I can see missing an early shoot around with a hangover but not a game.

No kidding...

Josh is just stupid...that is what all of this comes down to. Stupidity.

Rhylan
02-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm sure he missed the shoot around, and they told him not to worry about game.....

he probably wasn't hung over, he was exhausted.....from drinking all night

Yeah, New Year's Day, I wasn't hung over but I barely got off of the couch. :) It's a case of not being serious about your job, not being prepared, missing a shootaround for obvious reasons.. so your boss says, "hey, just don't bother coming in today."

When you work a real job (without a contract), your boss is more likely to say, "hey, just don't bother coming in... ever."

When you're an athlete with a contract in a league, you get traded.

rmacomic
02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Did Dirk miss that shoot around before or after this game?

Edit: Howard misses shoot around on Jan. 20th, Dirk misses shoot around on Feb 5th.
Maybe Dirk was trying to send a message to the brain trust, that guys can't be missing games?

Or Dirk was sloppy too, and we should cut JHo a break?

MavsX
02-19-2010, 09:08 PM

i've been hungover for an entire day before even into the evening. That was along time ago...in the good old days.

jthig32
02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Did Dirk miss that shoot around before or after this game?

Edit: Howard misses shoot around on Jan. 20th, Dirk misses shoot around on Feb 5th.
Maybe Dirk was trying to send a message to the brain trust, that guys can't be missing games?

Or Dirk was sloppy too, and we should cut JHo a break?

I believe Dirk was late for shootaround, he didn't miss the whole thing.

MavsX
02-19-2010, 10:45 PM
didn't howard also start to tune avery out towards the end too?

antoinewalker
02-24-2010, 11:30 AM
remember when everyone used to ride josh howard? everyone loved him so much.

sike
02-24-2010, 11:39 AM
stinks to be a Wizard fan

jacktruth
02-24-2010, 12:20 PM
I watched Marquis (queezy) Daniels playing some good ball with the Celtics the other night. Reminded me of his first year with the Mavs and Josh rode the pine, then things went the other way. It looks like Queezy is back on top.

LSMF
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I watched Marquis (queezy) Daniels playing some good ball with the Celtics the other night. Reminded me of his first year with the Mavs and Josh rode the pine, then things went the other way. It looks like Queezy is back on top.

Yup, Queezy>>>J-Ho