PDA

View Full Version : Durant, plus-minus, Wayne W., and the limits of stats

Usually Lurkin
03-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Durant went for 31 and 6 with 3 assists tonight, with a big, fat +31 in a win.

He's 15th in +/- this year, 10 places ahead of our beloved (and super awesome) Dirk Nowitzki

More importantly, he's leading a team that's looking pretty good going into the playoffs.

I just want to take this moment to point out that not only is the pure statistical approach to basketball missing something very important, but that if you don't acknowledge that, then you end up looking like a complete boob. Like Wayne Winston.

"I'd say probably not," Winston answered. "I would not sign the guy. It's simply not inevitable that he'll make mid-career strides. Some guys do. But many don't, and he'd have to improve a lot to help a team."
http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=732

twistaeffect2004
03-19-2010, 10:37 PM
You can make a real case for Durant as MVP.

Those Thunder team is scary get in that first round. We have to avoid them at all coasts.

CadBane
03-19-2010, 10:49 PM
What plus/minus are you looking at? Last I checked Dirk had the best net plus/minus among any star. And Net plus/minus is most telling.

Usually Lurkin
03-20-2010, 03:29 PM
What plus/minus are you looking at? Last I checked Dirk had the best net plus/minus among any star. And Net plus/minus is most telling.

It was at NBA.com, total +/- for the year.
http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=1&season=22009&split=9&team=&pager.offset=0
I might have been misreading the table, I hate that site (Durant's now at 7 and Dirk is at 26).

Anyway, the point isn't about how individual players rank, it's how Wayne Winston looks like a boob because he didn't use his eyes before saying something outrageous.

Hitman
03-20-2010, 06:53 PM
You can make a real case for Durant as MVP.

Those Thunder team is scary get in that first round. We have to avoid them at all coasts.

I don't understand when people say that.

You can make a real case for Durant as # 2.

But there is only one real case to be made for # 1.

Hitman
03-20-2010, 07:05 PM
But back to the original point- the Blazers would be awesome and KD & the Blazers vs. LBJ & the Cavs in the finals would have been one for the ages.

ShaggyDirk
03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
twisteffect, who is that girl in your sig? am I missing something?