Mav Addict
06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
..poor Nets....

DevinHarriswillstart
06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Poor Harris indeed...

EricaLubarsky
06-09-2010, 02:27 PM
hes not a bad coach at all, especially if 25 wins is an improvement for you.

dirno2000
06-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Yea poor Nets. We saw how things took off around here without Avery holding us back.

The Devin thing will be interesting to watch. Avery probably did keep the reins on a little too long while Devin was here but you could argue that The Nets erred in the other direction. Like if you can't hit the 3 at a 30% clip maybe you shouldn’t shoot 3 or 4 a game. The last year and a half in New Jersey has reinforced that thought that Devin does need someone to keep him focused on doing what he does best.

Usually Lurkin
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Yea poor Nets. We saw how things took off around here without Avery holding us back..
. . . and how everything tanked once he took over.

I imagine this is good for the players that are there. They look like they could use some motivation, and Avery's got that. If Avery's rep among players is what it is among Mavs fans, , though, I can't see that it helps them get LeBron.

DirkFTW
06-09-2010, 04:06 PM
On the bright side, if the Nets get LeBron, Avery knows how to bench him during the critical play of a game in order to maximize team chemistry.

Dirkenstien
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Interesting development.

I actually think that might be a good situation for him in New Jersey with a young squad, at least for 2-3 seasons. Last season NJ played a lot worse than their talent level would suggest and they have some key opportunities to further improve their team this off-season so he's set himself up nicely to improve the team. On the downside, if he gets carried away in his micromanaging again he could hurt the development of some of their young pieces.

BGMaverick9
06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
A young squad IS the best situation for him...he's a controlling freak so that caters better to younger players. It's probably one of the best coaching spots he could land, so we'll see how he does.

chumdawg
06-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Thank God he didn't land in the Western Conference!!

dirno2000
06-09-2010, 05:12 PM
The helps the Mavs too. Whatever NJ pays him is money in Cuban's pocket. Maybe it's an extra $3M to grease the wheels of a trade.

mkat
06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Avery says, "Devin, you will NEVER escape me."

GermanDunk
06-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Wha´ is your impresssssion !

Kidd Karma
06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
The helps the Mavs too. Whatever NJ pays him is money in Cuban's pocket. Maybe it's an extra $3M to grease the wheels of a trade.

Hmm interesting, wonder if the Nets decide to give him a penny salary for 10-11. Then have a salary of say 4 million per for 4 years. So essentially they're getting 5 years of coaching for the price of 4.

horse900703
06-09-2010, 06:07 PM
congrats avery!

Kidd Karma
06-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Reading some Jersey area media reports, he's bringing in Popeye Jones and possibly Joe Prunty as assistants. Contract looks like a 3 year deal.

Nowitzki4President
06-09-2010, 07:01 PM
You ever had that girlfriend, and y'all hit it off and it's all good for a while, then it all falls to crap so you go separate ways, then like 2 months later you see her with some weird ugly dude and you think to yourself "Dayum! You downgraded!". The Mavericks have had that girlfriend, and her name is Avery Johnson...

FINtastic
06-09-2010, 07:04 PM
So Avery goes from a job with Mark Cuban as his owner and Devin Harris as his point guard to a job where the Mutant Russian Mark Cuban is his owner and Devin Harris is his point guard.

FINtastic
06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Yea poor Nets. We saw how things took off around here without Avery holding us back.

The Devin thing will be interesting to watch. Avery probably did keep the reins on a little too long while Devin was here but you could argue that The Nets erred in the other direction. Like if you can't hit the 3 at a 30% clip maybe you shouldn’t shoot 3 or 4 a game. The last year and a half in New Jersey has reinforced that thought that Devin does need someone to keep him focused on doing what he does best.

Yeah for all the talk about Avery stifling Devin's greatness, Devin Harris seemed pretty enthusiastic about the possibility of hiring Avery a few weeks ago when I heard it brought up in the first place. Plus as you mentioned, Devin was a much more efficient scorer under Avery than he has been as a Net. I always thought the notion perpetuated around here that Avery Johnson was some type of evil overlord who sucked Devin of all of his powers was more myth than reality.

sefant77
06-09-2010, 08:01 PM
James will love it...not

At offense iso-iso-iso and if that doesnt work....ehm...nothing...

And getting outcoached by other guys.

Hello Mike Brown...

DevinHarriswillstart
06-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Together...we can rule the galaxy as father and son.

clutch#41
06-09-2010, 09:30 PM
On the bright side, if the Nets get LeBron, Avery knows how to bench him during the critical play of a game in order to maximize team chemistry.

u mean rick carlisle????

Thespiralgoeson
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
F*ck Avery Johnson. And that's all I have to say about that.

DirkFTW
06-09-2010, 10:39 PM
u mean rick carlisle????

No (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/41636-avery-benches-kidd-in-crunch)

Dtownsfinest
06-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Good for Avery. He's getting a chance to take on a young team. I think Avery's biggest mistake in Dallas was trying to make the Mavericks the Spurs when the Mavs didn't have nearly the personnel to do it. With Brooke Lopez out there he sort of has his Tim Duncan he needed here in Dallas to run that type of offense. I think this is going to be a solid move for the Nets. Who knows when they'll reap the benefits of the hire but they will be a better team going into next season.

Thespiralgoeson
06-10-2010, 12:59 AM
I think Avery's biggest mistake in Dallas was trying to make the Mavericks the Spurs when the Mavs didn't have nearly the personnel to do it.

That was certainly a major mistake. Although I have to say I think his biggest mistake as coach was not knowing basic kindergarten things about offense like setting picks and throwing entry passes, or having other players actually try cutting down the lane or even moving without the ball AT ALL when your top-scorer gets doubled. Or you could also make a case that his biggest mistake was relying very heavily on every talentless scrub that he could get his hands on.

Or better still, one could argue that his biggest mistake was flushing the next season down the toilet and alienating everyone around him, throwing his players under the bus while absolving himself of any blame for the team's failures.

I have to say I am glad though. Now that he's coaching again I won't have to listen to his idiotic and usually self-serving commentary on TV anymore.

dude1394
06-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I do think it will be funny to watch his little pin-head explode as they lose games. Unless they get some major free-agent bounty they are going to stink it up for a while.

Underdog
06-10-2010, 09:22 AM
The poor get poorer...

EDIT: can we officially strike New Jersey's name from the list of potential LeBron suitors?

dirno2000
06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Just thought of another ironic somewhat Mavs related twist. Avery ends up getting the job that Del Harris coveted. Del left the bench mid-season when Rod Thorn told his agent that he wouldn't be considered for the head coach position this season. That's got to sting a bit given their history here.

dirt_dobber
06-10-2010, 11:16 AM
The Nets would be smart to go after Amare. Would be great to see him paired with Devin H.

(middle child syndrome kicking in - can't we all get along)

DD

SMC0007
06-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Have we beyun back to tha finawls siyance Avery leyuft?

Underdog
06-10-2010, 12:24 PM

Ask Nellie...

ribosoma
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM

awesome.

Usually Lurkin
06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Just thought of another ironic somewhat Mavs related twist. Avery ends up getting the job that Del Harris coveted. Del left the bench mid-season when Rod Thorn told his agent that he wouldn't be considered for the head coach position this season. That's got to sting a bit given their history here.

. . . fire Rick Carlisle

Usually Lurkin
06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
EDIT: can we officially strike New Jersey's name from the list of potential LeBron suitors?
Are you kidding? Lebron strikes me as a man who would love to have every facet of his existence controlled by a screaming madman.

Thespiralgoeson
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Are you kidding? Lebron strikes me as a man who would love to have every facet of his existence controlled by a screaming madman.

Lebron probably WILL end up with the Nets, and Avery will do everything he can to turn him into Tim Duncan.

Usually Lurkin
06-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Lebron probably WILL end up with the Nets, and Avery will do everything he can to turn him into Tim Duncan.

LOL. After Stern hands them a championship, the debate will rage for years: Is Dirk or Lebron a better Tim Duncan!

dirno2000
06-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Dirk is working from the post more than ever under Carlisle...think he's trying to turn him into Rick Smits

KINGBEEF
06-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Dirk is working from the post more than ever under Carlisle...think he's trying to turn him into Rick Smits

Now that was funny. I didn't see that punch line coming!!! Rick "The Dunking Dutchman" Smits

LSMF
06-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Hahaha. Same thing I thought when I heard the news lol

mac222b
06-14-2010, 11:35 PM
it's funny when they showed avery w/ the Russian owner at the game in the 2nd half avery was so obviously overwound, like an expectant father told to wait outside the delivery room. when he talked to the Russian he cupped his hand over his mouth as if he was delivering state secrets or something. he then did that thing he does where he stares intently ahead and rocks back and forth slightly- his hand over his mouth in an ever so ponderous pose. judging by his demeanor you would of thought HE was coaching in the finals. god it's nice to be done w/ that arrogant little control freak.

wilmtalk
06-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I think Avery will do just fine. Some of you still hold it against him that he benced Kidd in the playoffs. I can now see his reasoning. He was the a*ss kicker that the underachieving mavs needed to win. I don't believe he ever wanted that trade for Kidd and he made that statement by benching him. It turns out that he was right Kidd wasn't the answer and it cost this team draft picks ,D Harris and two years too find that out.

As to turning this team into SA what was wrong with that! It's better than the jumpshooting underachieving players on the team now. Given two years he could have gotten rid of those players.

Underdog
06-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I think Avery will do just fine. Some of you still hold it against him that he benced Kidd in the playoffs. I can now see his reasoning. He was the a*ss kicker that the underachieving mavs needed to win. I don't believe he ever wanted that trade for Kidd and he made that statement by benching him. It turns out that he was right Kidd wasn't the answer and it cost this team draft picks ,D Harris and two years too find that out.

As to turning this team into SA what was wrong with that! It's better than the jumpshooting underachieving players on the team now. Given two years he could have gotten rid of those players.

You haven't been watching the Mavs long, have you? Avery brought in NOTHING but jump-shooting veterans to fill-out our roster during his tenure... Plus, he always ran Dirk (and the rest of the team) into the ground between the All-Star break and the playoffs - he was a BIG part of our underachieving...

F*ck Avery Johnson - him & the 12-win Nets deserve each other...

sefant77
06-15-2010, 09:25 PM

You cant because they wasnt and would be never a reason to pull a player like Kidd out.

Avery brought here nice defense. On the other hand offense that always ended up in isolation jumpshots. If the other team adjusted he was clueless because his gameplay didnt include more than that.