PDA

View Full Version : Lakers vs. Kings Game 1

grbh
05-18-2002, 02:40 PM
I guess I gotta pulls for the Kings, but I don't think they can do it. They need to get off to a good start and take game 1.

The Lakers have a way of demoralizing teams early in a series.

Hales233
05-18-2002, 04:09 PM
I believe the Kings can win the series, but to have a chance, they have to get a 'W' today.

DTL
05-18-2002, 06:07 PM
best Q1 by the Lakers probably all year.

hopefully this is not going to be a sweep....

DTL
05-18-2002, 09:16 PM
Jackson almost did it for the Kings. No wonder they love him i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020518/capt.1021772712lakers_kings_sca128.jpg

Hales233
05-18-2002, 09:17 PM
that was hilarious...it looks like even the mustache dude wants a peck!

reeds
05-18-2002, 09:37 PM
that pic is a classic...

reeds
05-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Is there any doubt who the best team in the world is right now??? The Lakers are AWSOME- no other word for it but AWSOME...And KOBE/SHAW are in a league of their own....WOW...

DTL
05-18-2002, 10:05 PM
From Bill Simmons' post-round 2 column link (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/020517.html)

THUMBS SIDEWAYS: Chris Webber ... I was watching the "SportsCentury and Beyond" episode on Webber a few weeks ago, when it struck me that the ending hadn't been written yet.

Think about it. One of the most ballyhooed high school players of all-time. The best player on one of the most memorable college hoops teams of all-time. One of the most anticipated NBA rookies in recent memory. One of the biggest NBA disappointments of all-time. One of the greatest NBA reclamation stories of recent memory. Now he's at the crossroads, the best player on the best all-around team in the league ... and after all these years, we still don't know if he can take his game to the next level when it truly matters.

So within the next month, we'll have our ending. The Lakers will never be more vulnerable than they are this spring. The Kings will never be better than they are this spring. And Webber will never be better than he is this spring. The stars have aligned.

Your move, C-Webb.

DTL
05-18-2002, 10:13 PM
I thought what the commentators kept saying during the game was interesting. Webber had a nice game, but you just can't feel his impact. The most memorable moments of Webber in the game were simply his emotional outbursts, and those aren't enough to beat the Lakers.

MavsFanFinley
05-18-2002, 10:44 PM
Set me straight...I listened to the game on the radio, Kings announcers mind you, and they did not like Dick Bavetta (sp) today at all.

I tend to agree as I couldn't see the action, but he called foul after foul against the Kings. It was to the point where all the calls against the Kings were coming from Bavetta. Some they agreed on, but they really thought some of them were questionable.

Would you agree?

And your right DTL, that was a near perfect performance by the Lakers in the first quarter.

It was just sad, every time the Kings made some progress, the Lakers countered it and then some.

MavKikiNYC
05-19-2002, 09:30 AM
I didn't think the officiating was particularly out of line.

There were some questionable calls, but it looked like pretty normal ebb and flow. The worst call against the Kings may've been the late blocking foul against Vlade, where Bavetta apparently called him for being inside the restricted area, when the replays showed that he was clearly out. However, my recollection is that although Divac appeared to be outside the restricted area, he was also moving as the offensive player became airborne. Tough call. Probably should've been an offensive foul.

But Vlade does himself in with all the flopping too. He had just gotten a call a few plays earlier against Walker where there was minimal contact and where he flopped. Not too much of a stretch to think that the officials realized he'd suckered them and were inclined to even things out the next time he was involved.

One of the few times I can think that Walton might've had something approaching an insight was when he pointed out that the Lakers were NOT arguing close calls while the Kings were allowing themselves to be distracted by the close calls which went against them. Makes you wonder if Web and the rest will EVER learn.

reeds
05-19-2002, 10:45 AM
DTL- those were comments made by Walton- and NO one on this board likes the guy or beleives he knows what the hell he is talking about...so, i'll take that with a grain of salt...

Bayliss
05-19-2002, 12:15 PM
<< DTL- those were comments made by Walton- and NO one on this board likes the guy or beleives he knows what the hell he is talking about...so, i'll take that with a grain of salt... >>

Walton is an idiot but it doesn't mean he's wrong **all the time**. A blind hog can find an acorn.

DTL
05-19-2002, 01:15 PM
<< DTL- those were comments made by Walton- and NO one on this board likes the guy or beleives he knows what the hell he is talking about...so, i'll take that with a grain of salt... >>

oh i don't take anything walton says seriously, but i guess what he said about webber's presence and impact in the game just happened to echo what i felt as i was watching the game.

if i were kings fan, i would certainly be yelling for them to give the ball to webber down the stretch. but in the final period, what was most memorable, offensively, for the kings was bobby jackson trying to bring the kings back into the game. webber? he just kept shooting that dopey jump-shot. given how much we here want to see dirk drive to the hoop more, i cannot believe any kings fan were not equally frustrated yesterday to see webber just stand out there at the top of the key looking lost and confused.