PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Offseason Thread

spreedom
06-29-2012, 05:06 PM
We haven't made one of these yet? Figured we could park general NBA-related offseason info here.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/raptors-to-amnesty-calderon-nash-nex

Raptors To Amnesty Calderon; Nash Next?

The speculation over just how badly the Toronto Raptors wants to add Steve Nash to the mix should be just about over, with Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo telling the media today that he plans to use the amnesty clause to get point guard Jose Calderon off the books, according to HOOPSWORLD’s Stephen Brotherston. Colangelo indicated that Calderon is a professional, and understands how the business side of the game works, indicating he won’t be a part of the team going forward.

So if we strike out early on D-Will, sounds like we'll have some competition with Nash. He would be an interesting fit with the Raptors, but my gut tells me he'll end up with a more legitimate competitor.

grndmstr_c
06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Colangelo!

But yeah, gotta think Steve would prefer a competitive offer from a more competitive team.

And wtf is up with these GM's making amnesty decisions before they know for sure what they're going to do with the money. For the love of god, Calderon is an expiring this year, and he's hardly unskilled. Seems like a stupid move at this stage to me. Or is the real culprit here stupid reporting from poopsworld?

spreedom
06-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Tough to say. From the way the article is written, it sounds like close to a direct quote from Colangelo. I'm a little surprised that they wouldn't be able to find a trade partner of any kind though... Lakers could absorb his contract with the Odom TPE if they can't come to terms with Sessions.

spreedom
06-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Check that -- bad writing by poopsworld.

grndmstr_c
06-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Check that -- bad writing by poopsworld.
That site is such trash.

BGMaverick9
06-29-2012, 11:20 PM
They're willing to give up Nash and draft a rookie PG (albeit a good one) and go for Eric Gordon? That seems very questionable to me.

roadrunner
06-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Kevin Garnett resigns with Celtics, 3 yrs 34 mil.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/06/30/kevin-garnett-is-returning-to-the-celtics-3-years-34-million/

Dnowit41
07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Looks like the Nets aren’t waiting for Dwight Howard’s situation to get resolved before making moves. According to Nets Daily, they just went ahead and traded for Joe Johnson, whose contract will have Brooklyn unable to re-sign Deron Williams and still make a deal for the Orlando big man this summer. More details: “The Nets have all but completed a trade for Joe Johnson, the six-time all-star, league sources tell NetsDaily. In return, the Hawks get expiring contracts and a first round pick. NOT included in the trade: MarShon Brooks and Gerald Green. The Nets also didn’t have to give up their own first round pick in the trade. The trade will not be finalized until July 11. Johnson, who is still owed $89.3 million over the next three years, was dealt for Anthony Morrow; Jordan Farmar, who will be bought out at Atlanta’s expense; Jordan Williams, Johan Petro, a signed-and-traded DeShawn Stevenson and the Rockets 2013 lottery protected first round pick.”

alby
07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
ATL in full out cost cutting mode. Marvin Williams for Devin Harris.

grndmstr_c
07-03-2012, 12:12 AM
It's not often that a team can legitimately claim to have had its best offseason in years by giving away it's primary playmaker for nothing. That's the Hawks for you, though. Good for them for spotting and taking advantage of the Nets' desperation, and capitalizing on a more subtle opportunity that presented itself in the wake of the Odom/Mo trade.

chumdawg
07-03-2012, 12:27 AM
It's not often that a team can legitimately claim to have had its best offseason in years by giving away it's primary playmaker for nothing. That's the Hawks for you, though. Good for them for spotting and taking advantage of the Nets' desperation, and capitalizing on a more subtle opportunity that presented itself in the wake of the Odom/Mo trade.Well...did they necessarily get any better on the court, by jettisoning Johnson? It's nice to be rid of high obligations, but that in itself doesn't guarantee anything.

b_o_r
07-03-2012, 07:29 PM
It's not often that a team can legitimately claim to have had its best offseason in years by giving away it's primary playmaker for nothing. That's the Hawks for you, though. Good for them for spotting and taking advantage of the Nets' desperation, and capitalizing on a more subtle opportunity that presented itself in the wake of the Odom/Mo trade.

Josh Smith + Jeff Teague >>>>>>>>Joe Johnson.
Jettison Joe gave them cap space to resign them.

sike
07-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Eric Gordon to a Nashless Suns team. Some guys just don't care about winning at all, huh?

clutch#41
07-04-2012, 01:32 PM
dont forget about gortat now haha

spreedom
07-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Eric Gordon to a Nashless Suns team. Some guys just don't care about winning at all, huh?

I think he wants to be able to bathe in the Lazarus Pit every evening after games.

sike
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
I think he wants to be able to bathe in the Lazarus Pit every evening after games.

Doesn't Nash take that thing with him? ;)

CaseyJones
07-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I bet Dallas fans never thought they'd see the day where the Nets just might end up being better than the Mavs.

alby
07-05-2012, 02:47 AM
The Gordon situation is interesting. He has publicly stated that he wants to play in Phoenix and has told New Orleans not to match. NO, on the other hand, has alluded to matching any offer and wants to bring him back to play with Davis and Rivers. A potentially toxic situation brewing.

alby
07-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Just some news from today

After trading Kyle Lowry, the Houston Rockets are searching for a starting point guard. While they have offered restricted free agent Jeremy Lin a four-year, $30 million offer sheet, Houston is also considering several other options. The Rockets will meet with restricted free agent Aaron Brooks this weekend, according to sources close to the situation. After signing Goran Dragic and drafting Kendall Marshall, it’s unlikely the Phoenix Suns will match a large offer sheet for Brooks.

The Los Angeles Clippers have signed Jamal Crawford to a four-year, $24 million deal. Details here.

Jameer Nelson’s three-year deal is believed to be worth $19.7 million, according to league sources.

clutch#41
07-05-2012, 03:34 PM
I bet Dallas fans never thought they'd see the day where the Nets just might end up being better than the Mavs.

i think the raptors will be better than the mavs next season. Dwane Casey has done a really good job this offseason.

spreedom
07-05-2012, 07:41 PM
After trading Kyle Lowry, the Houston Rockets are searching for a starting point guard. While they have offered restricted free agent Jeremy Lin a four-year, $30 million offer sheet, Houston is also considering several other options. The Rockets will meet with restricted free agent Aaron Brooks this weekend, according to sources close to the situation. After signing Goran Dragic and drafting Kendall Marshall, it’s unlikely the Phoenix Suns will match a large offer sheet for Brooks.

Pretty unbelievable to me that The Rockets A.) traded away the only PG on their roster and B.) might not get anything significant for him for a while, if at all.

It seems to me that Lowry should have very strong trade value... I really expected them to either convince him to stay and work things out with McHale or to flip him for a significant piece. Wow.

twelli
07-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Just a thought. Would we go after Tyson Chandler now, if he was a free agent?

roadrunner
07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Lakers close to trade for DHoward???

http://pepperonsports.tumblr.com/

grndmstr_c
07-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Lakers close to trade for DHoward???

http://pepperonsports.tumblr.com/
LA's the obvious winner in the Dwight trade war if they want to be. That's nothing new. But...who the F is Pepper, and why would she be the one to break something like this? Is she boinking Bynum or something?

roadrunner
07-05-2012, 10:05 PM
LA's the obvious winner in the Dwight trade war if they want to be. That's nothing new. But...who the F is Pepper, and why would she be the one to break something like this? Is she boinking Bynum or something?

lol...adult entertainer with name of Pepper, I could see that.

I found the link on DLords twitter here. http://twitter.com/#!/DLord_DBdotcom

roadrunner
07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
More DHoward to Laker smoke...

Stefan Bondy (http://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets):“Lakers no longer demanding contract assurances from Dwight Howard in trade talks, reportedly http://dlvr.it/1pr8ff” bad news for Nets2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets/statuses/221079106111025153)

BGMaverick9
07-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Kind of interesting to hear Gordon's thoughts on the process he's going through:
http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2012/07/new_orleans_hornets_guard_eric_21.html

GhostFace
07-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Ray Allen to the Heat...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Ray-Allen-chooses-to-sign-with-Miami-Heat-070612

EricaLubarsky
07-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Ray Allen to the Heat...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Ray-Allen-chooses-to-sign-with-Miami-Heat-070612

Well, there goes any interest I could possibly have in NBA playoff basketball.

grndmstr_c
07-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Goddamit Ray.

chumdawg
07-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Heat putting on a clinic on how you defend a title.

CaseyJones
07-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Heat get Ray Allen and are meeting with Camby.
Meanwhile Mavs are struggling to have a decent team just 1 year after their championship.
It's just all so unbelievably stupid. We could've went for the title last year and probably again this year if that team had stayed together. And now the Heat are just getting better.

grndmstr_c
07-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Heat get Ray Allen and are meeting with Camby.
Meanwhile Mavs are struggling to have a decent team just 1 year after their championship.
It's just all so unbelievably stupid. We could've went for the title last year and probably again this year if that team had stayed together. And now the Heat are just getting better.
You know what's hilarious about this post? I'll tell you. With the exception of Jason Kidd, Dallas has yet to register a financially competitive offer for a single free agent this summer. Every other offer they've made, from Deron on down, has been for less money than the offer that was made by the team that won the bidding. So griping about Dallas doing nothing to improve, is really just griping about Dallas either targeting free agents who they can't make competitive offers to (Deron), or griping about Dallas low-balling free agents that they could have made competitive offers to (Nash, Dragic, etc.), so that they can give themselves a shot at landing another all-star.

But fine. Dallas is doing it wrong. Let's use Miami as a model. Clearly what the Mavs should have been doing is clearing salary so that they can sign another all-star and field a team with multiple franchise cornerstones. Then, to fill out the team, they'll have to lodge non-competitive offers on free-agents that they can't really afford. Like Ray Allen for example. If only the Mavs would have offered him a per year salary that was half of what his old team was willing to offer him, he probably would have signed with Dallas. But the Mavs' strategy sucks, so they missed out. Too bad, Dallas. Should have paid more attention to what the Heat were doing.

Great thinking. You should send a letter to Mark and Donnie. Set them straight. They're clearly going about this all wrong.

GhostFace
07-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Wade getting another shot at a 3rd ring? Call me in 10 years when that crying child retires.

DevinHarriswillstart
07-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Heinrich 2 yr 6 mil to the Bulls. I'm guessing that is the price for West if the Mavs intend to keep him since both are similar players.

Dtownsfinest
07-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Do I overrate Nick Young? The guy was had for a 1 year 6 million dollar deal? Is he a bad locker room guy? Does it even matter at this point?

BGMaverick9
07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Do I overrate Nick Young? The guy was had for a 1 year 6 million dollar deal? Is he a bad locker room guy? Does it even matter at this point?

He hasn't met a jumper he doesn't love.

chumdawg
07-08-2012, 09:32 PM
He hasn't met a jumper he doesn't love.Honestly, the present roster could use some of that!

BGMaverick9
07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Kevin Love isn't happy
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kevin-love-losing-patience-with-timberwolves--losing.html;_ylt=AsU7HHVb_0BoY_60bx.MZuO8vLYF;_ylu =X3oDMTN1aDBzMm4wBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBOQ kEEcGtnA2U5ZjFhYzk4LWJlZmItM2RjYS1hYWUxLWUwMTIwOTE 5YWU1ZARwb3MDMQRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyA2MxODIxOWE3L WM5NmUtMTFlMS1iZjliLThjYWQ0MjJlMTY4ZQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoNjVvZWVyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuYmEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

EricaLubarsky
07-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Howard to the nets. Can this offseason be more of a stinker?

spreedom
07-09-2012, 09:53 AM
I honestly don't see any way the Magic/Nets trade goes down, unless it's even more complicated than we all originally heard. Would Orlando really trade Dwight to an up-and-coming powerhouse without also shedding their Turkoglu/Richardson deals? I haven't heard anything about those two being included in any talks. Why is everyone so desperate to help Brooklyn become a dynasty?

scorched03
07-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I honestly don't see any way the Magic/Nets trade goes down, unless it's even more complicated than we all originally heard. Would Orlando really trade Dwight to an up-and-coming powerhouse without also shedding their Turkoglu/Richardson deals? I haven't heard anything about those two being included in any talks. Why is everyone so desperate to help Brooklyn become a dynasty?

that's what makes no sense to me. jrich and earl clark also being added in by the magic... which is even less sense.

they get lopez and 3 very poor first picks for a very unhappy to be there d12? that's terrible value, i'd call his bluff and let him play out the contract, or sign humpries to an offer sheet to screw up that part of the deal to make the nets add even more to the deal.

cavs talk of participation in the deal is also mind boggling; they should be asking for the moon, i.e. tons of firsts, marshon, 2nds, and all sorts of goodies forever, since nets would be a top team

grndmstr_c
07-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Woj reporting Nets and Lopez working out details on a deal. Max dollars, but years (4-5), and protections for the team in case Brook's foot doesn't hold up are still being negotiated.

iella
07-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Nets' new contract commitments: $98M (DWill), $40M (Wallace), $89M (remainder of Joe Johnson's contract), $60M (Lopez). Total: $287 million.

rabbitproof
07-11-2012, 10:22 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/GUEV81_Z.CpDvErgMkoEBg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/Nash171112.jpg

You are sooooooo dead to me.

alby
07-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Wow he looks HORRIBLE

Underdog
07-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Wow he looks HORRIBLE

He looks both smaller and completely hateable in a Lakers jersey...

DevinHarriswillstart
07-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Geez Ramon, I hope they are paying you a lot...

Marc J. Spears@SpearsNBAYahoo
Bobcats are finalizing a deal to sign Lakers free agent guard Ramon Sessions, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

rabbitproof
07-13-2012, 09:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/hChMv.png

Gotta like the USA on the chest but damn if this pic doesn't capture the NBA today.

You have the main club in the forefront of this picture, who all get what they want, laughing it up. Westbrook and Williams, who are part of the club but aren't in the inner circle, just outside the main guys. You then see the elite but under-appreciated big men in today's game on the side to the left. It gutted me for a second to think we could have both Tyson and Williams today.

Back to the subject at hand, you then see the new rookie Rivers at the top looking in quietly from the outside, already learning the ways of the club. And finally, LOL old man Kobe way in the back looking peeved and grumpy as hell.

DevinHarriswillstart
07-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Denver offers 5/50 for Javale McGee...wow. These ridiculous center contracts continue to show what a bargain Kaman really was.

grndmstr_c
07-14-2012, 08:30 PM
NYK about to complete a S&T for Felton and let Lin walk. Statement from Dirk expressing sympathy for Tyson and JKidd forthcoming.

jthig32
07-14-2012, 10:39 PM
NYK about to complete a S&T for Felton and let Lin walk. Statement from Dirk expressing sympathy for Tyson and JKidd forthcoming.

I want to rep you so much for this. So, so, SO much.

Jack.Kerr
07-14-2012, 10:58 PM

Throughout Saturday, the Knicks dodged the Rockets in an attempt to avoid receiving the offer sheet that Lin signed, adding another layer of intrigue. They will have three days to either sign it or let Lin go, but that period does not begin until they officially receive the offer sheet.

Weirdness.

GhostFace
07-15-2012, 01:07 AM
Rookie of the year Kyrie Irving breaking his right hand in USA Olympic practice. Terrible terrible luck for the Cav's and the Olympic team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cavaliers-g-kyrie-irving-breaks-033653123--nba.html

DevinHarriswillstart
07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Humphries stays with the Nets for 2 years, 24 million. Twelve million a year. For Humphries.

Underdog
07-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Humphries stays with the Nets for 2 years, 24 million. Twelve million a year. For Humphries.

We got Brand, Mayo, Collison and Dah-Jones (combined) for about that price...

EricaLubarsky
07-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Jebus!

Overpaying the hell out of everyone in New Jersey.Already $80 million on board (10mill over the cap for at least the next 2 years) and only nine (9!) players on the roster.

Dirkadirkastan
07-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Jebus!

Overpaying the hell out of everyone in New Jersey.Already $80 million on board (10mill over the cap for at least the next 2 years) and only nine (9!) players on the roster.

They're still merely a 33% win rate team plus Joe Johnson, right?

saclare
07-17-2012, 01:10 PM
This Mavs team will win more than the Nets. The only possible way the Mavs won't is because the West is better than the East. Even then, I may still be right.

EricaLubarsky
07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
And word circulating that pecker-ov and deron are trying to lure kirlenko back. They only have vet min to offer but talent-wise that would be an interesting team

Lopez
Wallace
Kirilenko
Johnson
Deron

Kidd Karma
07-25-2012, 06:00 PM
And word circulating that pecker-ov and deron are trying to lure kirlenko back. They only have vet min to offer but talent-wise that would be an interesting team

Lopez
Wallace
Kirilenko
Johnson
Deron

Kirilenko wanted a pay day. Going with 2 years 20 million with Minny. Minny's going to be an interesting team. Playoff caliber if Rubio gets back in decent shape.

spreedom
07-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Wow, nice offseason for the Wolves.

Kidd Karma
07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Duncan drops salary to 9.64 next season. Paycut of 11.5 million from last year. Dont' know if he's on a multi year deal.

spreedom
07-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Duncan drops salary to 9.64 next season. Paycut of 11.5 million from last year. Dont' know if he's on a multi year deal.

I think they said it was a three-year deal. As crazy as it sounds, Duncan is now the fourth highest-paid player on the Spurs.

davblue
08-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Uniform Rankings (http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/8274852/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-nfl-mlb-nba-nhl-uniforms-1-122)

Mavs clock in at 105 out of 122 pro teams. I'm not a huge fan of the jerseys but thought the rank was a little low.