PDA

View Full Version : Hutch-the next Aikman

Chicago JK
05-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Check out number 9 in this article on CNNSI. Pretty big shoes to fill.

There won't be a lot of players released after June 1, but there will be a few very good players made available. Personnel people I spoke with said only a few players will receive significant money, and only a few clubs have the salary cap space to be aggressive.

Wide receiver Keenan McCardell seems to be the lead candidate to have a big payday after the Jaguars release him. Tampa Bay, Atlanta and Kansas City among others all seem to be interested enough to get into a bidding war for his services. McCardell won't break the bank, but it will take a few million in signing bonus to secure his talents.

Hardy Nickerson also will be released by the Jaguars but the people I have spoken with don't feel the middle linebacker will command big money.

If Jamal Anderson comes free as expected, he won't get big money either, but a year from now if he's healthy for all 16 games he will be back at the bargaining table. If all goes well, Anderson could easily turn into this year's Antowain Smith.

Wide receiver Derrick Alexander will be an ex-Chief shortly and all indications are that he's headed for the Vikings. They have lots of cap space but may not have to pay dearly for Alexander since the WR market will be a little flooded.

Which begs the question how much should a team pay for McCardell with the economics of the deal clearly favoring the club?

Favorite offseason moves

1. QB Drew Bledsoe -- He gives the Bills instant credibility and puts Buffalo in a position to be this year's Patriots story. For the first time in many years Drew has to compete to save his career and most insiders I spoke with feel he's up to the challenge. He could easily have the kind of effect that Rich Gannon had on the Raiders when he moved west to Oakland back in 1999, and Bills offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride is at his best when coaching smart QBs like Bledsoe.

2. RB Michael Pittman -- The Bucs have needed a back like Pittman for years. New head coach Jon Gruden will get a lot of production from Pittman, who has a very good chance to be this year's Priest Holmes.

3. DE Joe Johnson -- The Packers get a franchise defensive end; the last time they did that was when they persuaded Reggie White to come to Titletown. Packers defensive coordinator Ed Donatel knows how to use Johnson, and when the Pack gets to third-down defense the combination of Vonnie Holliday, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Jamal Reynolds will bring out the best Johnson has to offer.

4. LB Jeremiah Trotter -- The Redskins get a guy with a great field presence, and defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis is a big factor in putting a middle linebacker this high up. It's going to just kill Ray Lewis to watch Trotter play his position in Lewis' defense.

5. QB Trent Dilfer -- Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren made the right move in re-signing Dilfer. He will be the difference between the Seahawks making the playoffs and missing the postseason. Plus, I believe Holmgren will bring Dilfer's game to the next level. They need each other at this point and it's a good marriage.

6. LB Kevin Hardy -- His play has slipped from Pro Bowl level and a change of scenery is just what the doctor ordered. Cowboys head coach Dave Campo is a very positive, upbeat type and Hardy will respond to the Campo style.

7. TE Ken Dilger -- His best days are probably behind him but coming to the Bucs with Gruden coaching him is enough to convince me Dilger's career could have a revival. Gruden loves coaching older veterans and he has a history of extending careers. He'll do it again with Dilger.

8. TE Freddie Jones -- He is a fine athlete and the Cardinals are very excited about what Jones brings to the table. Dave McGinnis is a big time motivator and he will get everything out of Jones that he has to offer. Look for Freddie to become a favorite target of Jake Plummer. The Cardinals enter the very tough NFC West and should be playing from behind more often than not and that spells production for Freddie.

9. QB Chad Hutchinson -- The Cowboys may have found the next Troy Aikman. Almost every personnel man I spoke with feels he's the real deal; not one person believes Quincy Carter can hold the starting job very long. Bruce Coslet takes over as the offensive coordinator and he's at his best when dealing with just the offense.

10. CB Aaron Glenn -- He has excellent man coverage skills, and will fit in well with Dom Capers' schemes. Glenn wants to retire as a Texan in his hometown and will eventually renegotiate his contract down to a more reasonable level. His leadership and character will shine as the Texans find their way through the expansion process.

Outside of Hutchinson, the rest of this group is poised to play up to a Pro Bowl level this season, and if they do then they will be considered the great signings this spring. Time will tell, but I really like where they went and who's coaching them now.

Drbio
05-28-2002, 07:56 PM
I'm high on him and I remember watching him play college ball. But let's see him produce before we extoll him as the next Aikman.

Murphy3
05-28-2002, 07:58 PM
let's not overestimate aikman.. i mean, he's only a sure thing hall of famer.. c'mon, he sucks.

grbh
05-29-2002, 12:06 AM
Granted that is a huge overstatement, but everything I have read to this point shows me that Chad has looked great.

I still say give QCarter a chance based upon what he did in the last few games last year. But this may not be a bad back up plan (in spite of my initia criticism)

Drbio
05-29-2002, 12:10 AM
Quincy "Can't Speak" Carter isn't intelligent enough to run Coslets offense from what I've heard. I look for Quincy "Jumblejaw" Carter to be second string by game five.

grbh
05-29-2002, 12:14 AM
Perhaps, we will see.

I like what I have heard about Chadwick to this point, but it is early. On top of that I will say there are a couple of things going for Carter which will help him this year.

1. He is mobile

2. He improved a lot from earlier last year.

3. Good Attitude

4. Gets along with the guys.

5. Works his arse off.

Drbio
05-29-2002, 12:18 AM
I agree with that assessment of Carter. But, there is a persistent rumor that he just cannot grasp Coslets offense. Did he graduate? Anyone know?

Drbio
05-29-2002, 12:31 AM
Now Frank Luksa is comparing Hutch with another famous Dallas QB who took a four year layoff....Roger Staubach. Whoa. Someone make them stop please.

here is the link. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/football/cowboys/stories/052502dnspoluksa.ad3da.html)

Deja-Vu
05-29-2002, 12:35 AM
What does not speaking right IYourO has to do with his Football game? The guy is a true leader, and what's this "he isn't intelligent enough?" That's a load of crap, this guy is a good player on his way to greatness. Just because he is not the typical white quarterback or didn't finish school, doesn't mean he isn't intelligent enough to understand a guys system. Carter will do fine, just wait and see. I see HIM, leading the Cowboys to the playoffs this season.

Drbio
05-29-2002, 12:38 AM
First of all...race has jackshit to do with it. I'll overlook it. The speaking thing is a problem. Last year it was disclosed that Carter had to audible differently as the year went on because players couldn't understand him. And the intelligence thing is an issue. If he cannot understand Coslets new offense he can't lead the team. Quincy is a good athlete to be sure. No question about it, but that doesn't change his deficiencies. Fortunately he works hard to overcome things like this. But watch out for Hutch.

Deja-Vu
05-29-2002, 12:46 AM
I would like to do whatevers best for the Cowboys and if thats Hutch, then go for it and I will support it all the way. But to challenge a guy because of the way he talks, or how much of school he finished is beyond me. I will be watching out for the both of them.....

Drbio
05-29-2002, 12:50 AM
Fair enough. But I was just pointing out that Carter's mush mouth has had consequences in the past. He is working to overcome them but he still has mushmouth.

Drbio
05-29-2002, 12:51 AM
and fair or not...he has been labelled a slow learner. Coslets offense is not the leagues most difficult to learn. He will probably be fine.

Deja-Vu
05-29-2002, 12:56 AM
I sure hope so, I am a big Cowboys fan as well as a big Carter fan. Just a side note, Carter is also a BIG Mavericks Fan.

Murphy3
05-29-2002, 07:35 AM
I think carter has shown the ability to be a tremendous leader. the biggest problem with carter is that he hasn't been able to throw the ball well with any consistency at any level.
if he suddenly learns to throw the ball, he'll be fine.

Hales233
05-29-2002, 07:44 AM
"race has jackshit to do with it"

not surprised at all to hear you say that...most racists try and convince themselves that they aren't. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Dooby
05-29-2002, 08:53 AM
<< &quot;race has jackshit to do with it&quot;

not surprised at all to hear you say that...most racists try and convince themselves that they aren't. >>

That is not fair and is inappropriate. Racist is a charged word and I don't think it is fair to accuse people of such because they think that Hutchinson may be a pretty good QB.

Carter has had moments. Some good. Some that give hope for the future. He has also thrown some balls that were just terrible throws. And I mean mechanically, and not from a decision-making standpoint. Aikman never had bad mechanics. I don't think Michael Vick has ever been accused of having bad mechanics.

In my mind, it is still Q-Car's job. That is until, Q-Car gives it to Hutchinson or Hutchinson takes it away. I am also not saying that that will ever happen.

I just hope Quincy gets off to a good start, because if he doesn't, a lot of fans will be calling for Hutchinson to play.

Murphy3
05-29-2002, 09:04 AM
of course it's carter's job.. i don't know if hutch is going to be worth a crap or not.
the only thing i'm worried about is that neither may be the answer.. hopefully one will step up

carter's throwing ability leaves alot of room to doubt the guy

Hales233
05-29-2002, 09:42 AM
Dooby, relax man...it's an inside joke between Doc and myself...we had argued about this topic before, but we cleared it up. I'll edit my post and put a &quot;wink&quot; next to it so other people won't think I'm calling Doc a racist, because clearly he is NOT.

The Crippler
05-29-2002, 12:24 PM
Did you know that Carter had one of the highest scores on the Wunderlick of any QB or player in the draft last season?...

Intelligence is not the issue. Sure, he sounds funny, but he isn't dumb.

Deja-Vu
05-29-2002, 02:13 PM
That's all I was saying!

The Crippler
05-29-2002, 02:23 PM
then why didn't you say it? Because you didn't know. You were here to start crap, but you didn't have any facts to back up your opinion, just like the Pierce thread.

Murphy3
05-29-2002, 02:26 PM
an endless cycle
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

aexchange
05-29-2002, 05:38 PM
i think the reason carter speaks with a mushy sound is b/c of the braces he is wearing. if those come off, that should fix the majority of the problem.

Rhylan
05-29-2002, 05:43 PM
I just want the 'Boys to be good, I don't care if my Grandma is the QB. But she'll have to be a drop-back passer, she's got bad ankles. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

With Hutch and Q-kid, we actually have two minor league baseball players for QBs. Neither one has shown enough to be a #1, but both have the potential to be something. That's why I think they'll be good for each other. Whoever thrives on competition and preparation the most, whoever works the hardest, and shows the most skill, will probably win out.

Drbio
05-29-2002, 08:38 PM
race has jackshit to do with it&quot;
not surprised at all to hear you say that...most racists try and convince themselves that they aren't.

I don't give a crap if you did edit a smile in there. You are way out of line. Why the hell does bullshit like this go unnoticed by the mods and we get suspended for arguing with a retard that only comes here to fuck up the board. This is total bullshit.

Drbio
05-29-2002, 08:59 PM
bump. any thoughts MFF, Rob, dj?

Hales233
05-29-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm a retard that just comes to fuck up the board? I've been here a lot longer than you Doc...why are you getting so angry?

Hales233
05-29-2002, 09:13 PM
And if anybody should get canned it's you, blatantly swearing and harrassing me...but I'll let the mods handle it.

Rhylan
05-29-2002, 09:23 PM
Just to throw some water on this, the 'retard' being referred to is JoeJoe.

Drbio
05-29-2002, 11:40 PM
Thank you Rhylan. Of course it was. You can't tell him anything though.

Drbio
05-29-2002, 11:53 PM
I guess to him being called a racist is fun.

edit for type-o.

Deja-Vu
05-30-2002, 03:26 AM
It's not that serious guys, Drbio I am sure Hales was kidding with you.

Drbio
05-30-2002, 06:53 AM
Deja-vu- I appreciate you trying to settle things down but you dont know in this case all of the particulars. That racist comment was totally out of line.

Dooby
05-30-2002, 09:30 AM
Aren't all racist comments out of line?

Except for those damn australians...i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

QCarFan
10-07-2003, 04:09 AM
the next aikman? haha, who wrote that article? i wonder if they want to rethink anything, just a thought

ItalianMobbstah187
10-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Doc were you serious about Carter having to change his audibles b/c they couldnt understand him? I never once heard that or read that.

FilthyFinMavs
10-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Damn. We should've traded Hutch while we had the chance.

Murphy3
10-07-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I think carter has shown the ability to be a tremendous leader. the biggest problem with carter is that he hasn't been able to throw the ball well with any consistency at any level.

just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention

maybe he did suddenly learn how to throw the ball?

XERXES
10-07-2003, 12:28 PM
I still believe...

FilthyFinMavs
10-07-2003, 12:30 PM

just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention

maybe he did suddenly learn how to throw the ball?

I just find it funny that he has been playing football his whole life and never knew how to throw the ball. That is what gave me a bit of doubt about him from the get go.

FilthyFinMavs
10-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by: XERXES
I still believe...

Just keep believing.