PDA

View Full Version : Magic/Bulls interested in Wang for different reasons

MavsFanFinley
06-10-2002, 09:23 PM
This comes from the hoopsworld rumor mill, so believe what you will.

WANG AND THE MAGIC?:As the Magic begin plotting and angling for a 2nd rounder in the class, presumably to try and acquire Steve Logan or J.R. Bremer (according to rumor), the topic of another 2nd rounders comes into play, because it may come into play again. Most around the league feel that Dallas has the best shot at returning Wang Zhi Zhi, and that all of the political baggage will give Dallas the upper hand, and likely a better negotiating position- but Wang wants to play and minutes will be an issue. The Magic, who actually tried to land Zhi Zhi the night the Mavs drafted him, may still have eyes for the free agent big man, this year. Fans of Chinese Basketball continue to flood me with scouting reports on the Yao Ming situation and say that while Ming has a lot of hype going for him, Wang Zhi Zhi is the better player. The Magic are not positioned with a large amount of cap space, but they like most teams will have the $4.7 million exception to offer and may offer a portion of that to Wang in July.

This comes from the Chicago Tribune.

AWOL Mav could cause Bulls woes
Jun 10, 2002

Wang ZhiZhi may have thrown a big monkey wrench into the NBA draft. Dallas newspapers reported last week that Wang had missed some mandatory Chinese national training and the dreaded "D" word, defection, was being tossed around. Spend some time around Mark Cuban's Mavericks, and with your government dipping into much of your salary, suddenly America looks awfully good.

"We have called and gone to Wang ZhiZhi's house every day, at least twice a day to try to locate him," owner Cuban told the Dallas Morning News. "We have been unable to do so for the past several weeks. We do not know where he is or how to get a hold of him."

Wang is a free agent, and everyone knows he's a 7-foot shooting guard. So there's not much excitement. That's saved for Yao Ming. He likes the 20-footer, too, but he's nearly a half-foot taller and more skilled. The Houston community has fallen for him, and seemingly, so have the Rockets, who have the No. 1 draft pick. But the government of China might get nervous about all the restrictions it has put on Yao's future earnings. And once Yao gets a load of the big city, it may be tough to get him back to the farm. China wants Yao in the NBA as it opens its borders to put on a better face for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. But if anyone begins to worry he might defect so he can keep his millions, then the government may be in no hurry to allow Yao to come here. That might scare off the Rockets, who then might take one of the big offers—from the Clippers or Warriors, mostly likely—for Jay Williams and get a package of players plus one or two lottery picks to fill out their roster.

Which is what is keeping Bulls GM Jerry Krause up nights.

If that occurs, the Bulls get the choice of the prospects: Mike Dunleavy if he stays in the draft, though he supposedly doesn't want to play for the Bulls because of all the small forwards the team has; Drew Gooden, a good looking player who doesn't quite have a position (either small forward or power forward); Caron Butler, a smallish power forward; Dujuan Wagner, a scoring guard trying to play the point; or Chris Wilcox, perhaps the best athlete, but a raw talent.

None of those players are going to help the Bulls win many more games next season. If that happens, the Bulls probably have to pick Yao and hope he comes to the U.S. at some point so they can trade him. With Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler, the Bulls really don't need him.

Some league insiders believe Cuban is starting a misinformation campaign to scare off the top teams, see Yao drop and then scoop him up in a cheaper deal. There's also some thought that Houston could then deal with Golden State, get the No. 3 pick and perhaps next year's Warriors pick or a package of players, and take Yao at No. 3 inasmuch as the Warriors want Duke's Williams. Then the Rockets would be willing to wait for Yao, believing the Bulls cannot afford the risk of getting nothing out of this draft after four straight losing seasons.

"From a league perspective, either we sign [Yao] or we won't," said NBA Commissioner David Stern. "And if we don't, it will be like Arvydas Sabonis. He'll be here eventually. It'll be more interesting [next season] if we have Yao, but if we don't, it's either now or later. I have no doubt about that. We'd love to have him, but one additional 7-footer does not a league make."

Though it could ruin the Bulls' future.

Drbio
06-10-2002, 10:09 PM
Wang is better than Yao in the Chinese eyes? Wow! I hadn't heard that before.

MavsFanFinley
06-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Wang is better than Yao in the Chinese eyes? Wow! I hadn't heard that before.

I always thought Wang was viewed as the better player? Frankly, I don't remember hearing Ming making it here until Wang sort of took off. Where his hype came from I'm not sure. I guess it depends on what team he lands on and what kind of playing time he can get to see what he can do. I think his size has more to do with it than anything else.

Hoopsmeister
06-10-2002, 10:43 PM
<< I always thought Wang was viewed as the better player? Frankly, I don't remember hearing Ming making it here until Wang sort of took off. Where his hype came from I'm not sure. I guess it depends on what team he lands on and what kind of playing time he can get to see what he can do. I think his size has more to do with it than anything else. >>

My understanding is that Wang is the more developed player. He is somewhat older and has more overall skills at this point--while Yao (at 7' 6&quot;) has the more 'upside'.

Bayliss
06-10-2002, 10:47 PM
Wang might not be better but his team always beat Yao's team when they played.

If the Magic are interested in Wang maybe we could trade him for the number 18 pick? Or maybe a Wang for DeClerq?

MavsFanFinley
06-10-2002, 11:03 PM
If the Magic are interested in Wang maybe we could trade him for the number 18 pick? Or maybe a Wang for DeClerq?

Wang isn't worth the #18 pick. I have no idea why the Magic would do that.

If there interest in Wang is genuine, I'd see about a Wang for DeClerq deal, though.

David
06-11-2002, 05:34 AM
<< If the Magic are interested in Wang maybe we could trade him for the number 18 pick? Or maybe a Wang for DeClerq?

If there interest in Wang is genuine, I'd see about a Wang for DeClerq deal, though. >>

I think you are woefully under-rating Wang. DeClerq is not near the player Wang is, right now, and Wang leaves him in the dust in the future, if he stays in the USA and works on his game. IF.

Drbio
06-11-2002, 08:06 AM
I also think some of you are undervaluing Wang.

MavKikiNYC
06-11-2002, 09:17 AM
<< If the Magic are interested in Wang maybe we could trade him for the number 18 pick? Or maybe a Wang for DeClerq?

If there interest in Wang is genuine, I'd see about a Wang for DeClerq deal, though. >>

Whoa...!, MFF...Harsh.

I think Wang is better than what you typically see selected at 18, skillwise. What's held him back has been the uncertainty of his availability, and his inability to train/practice/compete against top-level competition fulltime. But I think he has the ability to be a much better player than DeClerq.

DeClerq, whom I like fine as a player, is a slightly bigger, more-experienced version of N&aacute;jera. He's not going to get any better than what you see right now.

Wang for DeClerq would be a very lopsided deal in favor of the Magic.

Drbio
06-11-2002, 09:37 AM
I think Wang is better than what you typically see selected at 18, skillwise. What's held him back has been the
uncertainty of his availability, and his inability to train/practice/compete against top-level competition fulltime.

This is the key to Wangs development.

The Crippler
06-11-2002, 09:44 AM
I also think you are all underestimating wang. not to mention, declerq is a stiff. What, we don't have enough of those with esch and bradley? Sure, lets go out and get one more...not smart.

Value for trades people, don't just trade in order to make a trade...

Bayliss
06-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Well, personally I'd rather have the 18th pick than DeClerq. One thing I will say about Declerq, is that we keep wishing that Najera would be a few inches taller. Declerq is a few inches taller and brings thing similar to Najera.

Hoopsmeister
06-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Wang for DeClerq is seriously unbalanced in favor of the Magic. Wang for the #18 makes some sense although its still risky. How many players chosen at #18 don't even make it in the league? Wang has demonstrated he can play in the league and contribute as is--even if he never gets a chance to develop his upside. A Wang for #18 trade, I'd wait and see who's available at that point. There are a couple of players who could slip that far, and if they did, I would say grab them.

Drbio
06-11-2002, 10:53 AM
I think the Mavs could use a guy like Declerq. I don't know about trading Wang to get him though. 18th pick for Wang...no thnaks. Those guys usually don't stick around for long in the NBA...of course it does depend on the player like Bayliss said.

MavsFanFinley
06-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Well, personally I'd rather have the 18th pick than DeClerq.

So would I.

My point is this...Where is Wang going to get minutes? He couldn't even get them this year hardly. Unless he is packing on weight and tears it up in the summer league, he's still going to be behind Dirk and Raef.

Maybe I am undervaluing him, but I'd like to see what I could get at #18 instead of playing the waiting game on Wang. Waiting another year to see his improvement. How long are we going to wait on him?

I didn't mean to make it sound like DeClerq was the better player and we'd be getting a steal in him. I just have a hard time believing that that Magic would want Wang over the #18 pick. Just my opinion.

David
06-11-2002, 04:54 PM
<< Well, personally I'd rather have the 18th pick than DeClerq.

So would I.

My point is this...Where is Wang going to get minutes? He couldn't even get them this year hardly. Unless he is packing on weight and tears it up in the summer league, he's still going to be behind Dirk and Raef.

Maybe I am undervaluing him, but I'd like to see what I could get at #18 instead of playing the waiting game on Wang. Waiting another year to see his improvement. How long are we going to wait on him?

I didn't mean to make it sound like DeClerq was the better player and we'd be getting a steal in him. I just have a hard time believing that that Magic would want Wang over the #18 pick. Just my opinion. >>

I think Wang is about 24 years old. Not very old for a big guy. Big guys seem to take longer to develop and seem to be able to stay in the league into their late 30s.

Anyone they get at #18 will be anywhere from 18 to 22 years old. Are they going to be more experienced or advanced than Wang, who has two years in the NBA?

At #18 you aren't getting the cream of the crop as far as prospects. Wang is 7', can shoot the 3 and drive the basket.

Work with him and you have quite a player. Trade him and someone else has quite a player. IF he gets to stay in the US and train.

Right now, according to me, the pecking order at C/PF for the Mavs, is Dirk, Raef, Wang.

They all have pretty much the same type of game except Dirk handles the ball better and has more agility.

Wang is a better 3 point shooter than Raef but has less agility.

Raef has 4 years of US college ball and a tad more flexibility than Wang.

Some training would help Wang catch up. He has the ability. The two guys he is behind are both former top 10 draft picks. There is nothing wrong with Wang being behind them.

Wang is a better player than Bradley or Esch, right now, with NO US experience. What happens should he get US experience? In my opinion, he gets a whole lot better.

Drbio
06-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Wang is a better player than Bradley or Esch, right now, with NO US experience. What happens should he get US experience? In my opinion, he gets a whole lot better.

Absolutely...this is why Dallas should keep Wang.