PDA

View Full Version : Mike Dunleavy at #1?

Hales233
06-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Very good college player but will not have the same impact in the pros. Houston is the dumbest team ever if they use their #1 pick on Dunleavy. Good character and skills, but he's not ever gonna be a superstar. I see him being a Mike Miller type, who is good, but not #1 material.

Drbio
06-10-2002, 10:11 PM
I'd take Williams.

Bayliss
06-10-2002, 10:20 PM
I'd trade the pick, along with filler (Cato etc) and move down a few spots and draft Jeffries or Nene Hilario. Jeffries will play the power forward spot and Griffin plays the 3 (or switch them around if ya like). That would be a deadly young forward combo. zIf they draft Nene put him at power forward, and spot minutes at center. The kid is a monster defensively, and on the glass. Very raw offensively but Houston wouldn't need him to score. Just someone who could grab the misses from Griffin, Francis, and Mobley.

Drbio
06-10-2002, 10:21 PM
I might be tempted to trade the pick. This isn't exactly the best draft class in a while is it?

MavsFanFinley
06-10-2002, 10:46 PM
I'd defintely see what they could get for the pick. Is there anything the Bulls have that they could use since they want Williams so bad?

What I don't understand is why couldn't they just pick Jeffries or Hilario (like Bayliss points out) with the #1 pick? It's not like they HAVE to draft Ming.

David
06-11-2002, 05:40 AM
<< I'd defintely see what they could get for the pick. Is there anything the Bulls have that they could use since they want Williams so bad?

What I don't understand is why couldn't they just pick Jeffries or Hilario (like Bayliss points out) with the #1 pick? It's not like they HAVE to draft Ming. >>

I think there is slotting like in the NFL draft. That is how Jerry Jones was able to trade down, get an extra pick, and still draft the player he wanted. Houston should be able to get the player they want, plus something, if they back off of Yao Ming. Some other team will be hot for someone and Houston should be able to take advantage of that. Of course, if they trade down too far, they might lose the player they REALLY want.

Drbio
06-11-2002, 08:04 AM
that's the risk inherent in drafts David.

Hoopsmeister
06-11-2002, 10:16 AM
<< What I don't understand is why couldn't they just pick Jeffries or Hilario (like Bayliss points out) with the #1 pick? It's not like they HAVE to draft Ming. >>

It comes down to perceived value. Whoever they pick #1 is going to have to be paid like a #1. Teams look at Yao and Williams, maybe Dunleavy, and think they may be worth that amount of money. They look at Jeffries and Hilario and think they are desirable players but not for the amount you have to pay them if they are chosen #1.

Drbio
06-11-2002, 10:54 AM
which is why you should trade down if you aren't going to pick Yao or Dunleavy or Williams.

Mavinator
06-13-2002, 10:28 PM
I have often heard rumors that every team knows who is going to be drafted at each spot long before the draft even begins. That's why trades are accomplished so quickly and easily during the procedures...

Drbio
06-13-2002, 10:42 PM
That's a little hard to believe.

Hoopsmeister
06-14-2002, 01:13 AM
<< I have often heard rumors that every team knows who is going to be drafted at each spot long before the draft even begins. That's why trades are accomplished so quickly and easily during the procedures... >>

I doubt it. The media wouldn't be so shocked about the occasional player who keeps dropping. I do think teams generally have a very good idea of how the draft will go by the time it starts--remember that teams are not only working out players but talking to their agents who are in turn talking to other teams so word that team X is really looking at player Y gets around fast.

And a lot of the trades are accomplished easily because they are worked out as contingincies beforehand &quot;If A is available would you take B&amp;C for him&quot;. And the process of discussing those possible trades also makes clearer who various teams are targetting.