PDA

View Full Version : Pay per play?

Drbio
06-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Yao is willing to pay his government and his team to play here...IN ADDITION to the commissions each takes out of his salary. WHOA! Sounds like he really wants to play against the best. Admirable.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/story?id=1393992)

MavsFanFinley
06-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Isn't that weird, though? I know we've heard about euro players helping to buyout their contracts to come play here, etc...

But, to want to pay more than what the Chinese government is already demanding is crazy.

Maybe he does WANT to play that badly here. Or is just wanting out of China, too?

Drbio
06-13-2002, 08:11 PM
Think it's a sign he might want to defect once he gets here?

MavsFanFinley
06-13-2002, 10:59 PM
Think it's a sign he might want to defect once he gets here?

I don't know. He seems a little anxious to get here, don't you think?

I've never heard someone wanting to pay more than the 50% that is already taken away just to play in the NBA.

Rhylan
06-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Well, at 7-5, he's always going to have a job, no matter who he ticks off. He might have been planning to defect at 22 since he was 17 or 18 years old, you never know.

Drbio
06-19-2002, 06:39 PM
The Chinese basketball authority today announced that they have entered into an agreement with Houston. If the Rockets select Yao at #1, they will not recall him to play in the national league of china or to serve on the army, but Houston agreed to allow Yao to play for China in the olympics. Seems fair.

Fidel
06-19-2002, 08:34 PM
All that talk about defection etc. The chinese policie on those issues is just rediculous. I guess itīs even harder for normal people. They really should reconsider. Why not just let Yao and others live their lifes, let them play ball, whatever. Without all of those stupid restrictions, payments etc. What is the chinese government afraid of after all?? They already have a capitalistic system. Itīs only about maintaining power. Thatīs sooo stupid. They`d capitalize much more by opening things up.
By the way, if theyīd just let Yao and Wang go and play, I think both would be happy and proud to play for the chinese national team in big tourneys. They would be much more motivated too (if they were responsible for their own actions). Itīs really really stupid.

Drbio
06-19-2002, 09:15 PM
I agree Fidel....never could understand either.

Kat
06-20-2002, 12:16 AM
Some of our USA ballers act like queens(queens in the derogatory sense). They make us (normal working Joes) ill sometimes with the attitudes. Oh, yes, if you where in the same shoes as Wang or Yao.......come on! If they give up 90% of the NBA salary potential to come here it's probably 100 times what they would make there. Let alone the lifestyle. We really don't know what they are facing, only guessing. My guess would be I would give the Gov. 90% for a chance.

Drbio
06-20-2002, 07:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I would want to defect, so if it took 90% of my first years contract to do so...it would probably be worth it.