PDA

View Full Version : Warriors on the Clock

MavsFanFinley
06-20-2002, 11:10 PM
Unpredictable Warriors on the clock in NBA draft

By GREG BEACHAM
AP Sports Writer
June 20, 2002

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Less than a week before the NBA draft, the first two selections essentially have already been made. Yao Ming is headed for Houston, and Jay Williams is on his way to Chicago.

So the clock is on for the Golden State Warriors, who have the third pick after posting a league-worst 21-61 record last season. The Warriors also have an eight-year playoff drought, big holes at several positions, no discernible roster chemistry and no permanent head coach.

These aren't the most attractive enticements to the next wave of basketball superstars, but that hasn't stopped Warriors general manager Garry St. Jean from becoming the center of attention leading up to the draft, when one of the NBA's oldest franchises gets another chance to recharge.

Will the Warriors use their leverage to trade down, picking up more help along the way? Will they continue their apparently futile efforts to trade up to nab Williams, the point guard they desperately need?

Will they select Duke forward Mike Dunleavy, the most likely choice among a pool of several outstanding second-tier players? Or will they take a flyer on 19-year-old Georgian Nikoloz Tskitishvili, who impressed St. Jean on a trip to Italy?

One thing's for sure: You won't learn anything from St. Jean.

``We'd got an opportunity to get a player that can contribute right away, that has a good skill level,'' St. Jean said Thursday at the Warriors' training complex in downtown Oakland. ``Our minds aren't completely made up, but it's been a good process, and we're happy with where we are.''

These are tough times for St. Jean, who has received relentless criticism from San Francisco Bay area fans and media for his team's miserable record and the perceived lack of a concrete plan to turn things around.

There are rampant rumors that owner Chris Cohan plans to hire former Warriors star Chris Mullin to take a role in the team's decision-making. Once a light-hearted, amiable executive, St. Jean rarely smiles in public or returns reporters' phone calls these days.

But St. Jean and assistant GM Gary Fitzsimmons, the Warriors' point man on the draft, have done their homework on the available talent at No. 3. The duo's draft history is spotty, but last season's proceedings -- in which Golden State nabbed budding superstar Jason Richardson along with solid contributors Troy Murphy and Gilbert Arenas -- were a huge success.

The biggest focus of Golden State's interest this summer has been Dunleavy. A versatile, athletic forward who excels at the outside shooting that was one of Golden State's countless weaknesses last season, Dunleavy met with St. Jean and Fitzsimmons earlier this month in North Carolina.

The Warriors also brought along star forward Antawn Jamison, a former Tar Heel, to sell Dunleavy on the team's potential.

``When we walked in the restaurant, we were getting all kinds of looks with a Duke guy and a North Carolina guy,'' St. Jean said. ``We wanted to let (Dunleavy) ask questions to us about our franchise, our players, our ownership, the Bay area and the fans.

``He was very well-prepared. He had a solid mindset of what he wanted some answers to.''

There have been even more ambitious rumors floating that Dunleavy's selection could lead to the hiring of his father, Mike, the former coach of Portland, Milwaukee and Los Angeles Lakers, as the Warriors' new coach.

Technically, Brian Winters still is Golden State's interim coach, but in the two months since the regular season ended, the Warriors haven't announced whether he'll be back next season.

``We're still in the process of making a decision,'' St. Jean said curtly.

Among the players who have worked out for the Warriors, the strongest impressions were made by Connecticut's Caron Butler, Maryland's Chris Wilcox and Kansas forward Drew Gooden, a Bay area native. All could conceivably fit with Golden State -- particularly if the Warriors decide to trade down a few spots.

Then there's Tskitishvili, who obviously intrigues Fitzsimmons. The Warriors haven't drafted a European star since Predrag Danilovic in 1992, but the 7-foot Tskitishvili's athleticism and potential intrigue them.

``I think when you see greatness, you've got to strongly consider it,'' St. Jean said. ``As Fitz told somebody, we didn't fly over the pond just to go and have some pasta. We were very impressed with him.''

Drbio
06-20-2002, 11:14 PM
The Warriors will suck anyway.

MavsFanFinley
06-20-2002, 11:27 PM
The Warriors will suck anyway.

I don't understand it. They had such a good start last year and looked as if things might be changing for the better. Then the bottom fell out and it was UGLY once again.

They have some nice pieces there with Richardson, Murphy and Arenas.

They need some real leadership on that team, though. I don't care for Jamison and believe he's not the answer in that department.

If they could get a pg through a trade, and select Dunleavy with the #3 pick...grab his dad to coach, I like the direction they'll be heading in.

Still, things will take time.

Drbio
06-20-2002, 11:29 PM
If they could get a pg through a trade

I know of one I would be willing to send their way.....i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

MavsFanFinley
06-20-2002, 11:32 PM
I know of one I would be willing to send their way

Who?

Oh, I know who you're talking about. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Will the Warriors bite on that, though? I'll have to look and see if salaries come close to matching with anyone.

Drbio
06-20-2002, 11:36 PM
This works...but......i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

Dallas trades: PG Nick Van Exel (18.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 6.6 apg in 34.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Mookie Blaylock (3.4 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 3.3 apg in 17.1 minutes)
C Adonal Foyle (4.8 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 0.5 apg in 18.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -10.2 ppg, +2.9 rpg, and -2.8 apg.

Golden State trades: PG Mookie Blaylock (3.4 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 3.3 apg in 17.1 minutes)
C Adonal Foyle (4.8 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 0.5 apg in 18.8 minutes)
Golden State receives: PG Nick Van Exel (18.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 6.6 apg in 72 games)
Change in team outlook: +10.2 ppg, -2.9 rpg, and +2.8 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and Golden State being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and Golden State had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 635892

MavsFanFinley
06-20-2002, 11:44 PM
No thanks.

Besides, I thought Mookie was a free agent??

I typed in Erik Dampier and Larry Hughes and that was accepted.

However, I thought Hughes was a free agent, too? Well, GS is debating on whether or not to make him a restricted one and it doesn't look like they will.

What do you think of that?

MavKikiNYC
06-21-2002, 06:32 AM
It's odd to hear people speculate on a Dunleavy-Dunleavy combo in the NBA. Has there ever been a contemporaneous father-son pairing in the NBA? It just like that would open the potential for additional complications (managing playing time and relations/jealousies vis a vis teammates, for example) add exponentially more pressure, for both father and son.

Think about what father-coaching-son is on the high school level (most of us have seen THAT firsthand), and the few instances where you've seen it at the collegiate level (Maraviches, though I'm too young to remember that firsthand; Bobby Knight kicking his own son, admittedly a special case; John Thompson--nothing to comment; Tubby/Sol Smith; maybe a few more).

In any case, it's hard to think that the Dunleavies would willingly walk into that kind of pressure cooker. They seem too savvy to get blindsided by the disaster that would likely be.

Drbio
06-21-2002, 08:09 AM
I wasn't endorsing that deal...it jsut worked undet the CBA. I just don't see a fit. Fortunately, Nellie is more creative than I am.

madape
06-21-2002, 08:20 AM
Reportedly, the Warriors might try to dump Larry Hughes. A NVE for Hughes and Foyle deal would be hard to turn down.