PDA

View Full Version : From No. 13 to No. 17 in 2 years. Alexander traded.

Dooby
06-25-2002, 02:17 PM
Courtney Alexander was just shipped off to New Orleans for the 17th pick overall.

Murphy3
06-25-2002, 02:18 PM
i'm surprised they got that much for him

Dirk77
06-25-2002, 02:24 PM
I just saw the trade on ESPN, bad trade for WAS, Alexander would be a top 10 in this draft.

FilthyFinMavs
06-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Yea this trade didnt make sense to me. Courtney is gona be a good player in this league and no way in ehll i trade him for 17th pick. Doesent make much sense to me but maybe they have someone in mind they are gonna get.

Murphy3
06-25-2002, 02:37 PM
i guess the wizards don't see courtney becoming the SF that they wanted him to become..and i guess they already have their 2 guard of the future.

Drbio
06-25-2002, 02:41 PM
That is an odd trade. Higher return than I would have given.

Bayliss
06-25-2002, 02:50 PM
Bad trade for Washington? That trade was steal for Washington. They can get a much better player at 17 than Alexander ever was or will be. Alexander is a decent scorer when given enough shots but he doesn't do **anything** else. He doesn't rebound, pass, defend, etc that is required for a small forward/shooting guard in the NBA. He will never be a good player because he doesn't work on other aspects of his game.

(Damn good trade for Washington... what in the hell was New Orleans thinking?)

Drbio
06-25-2002, 03:04 PM
That trade was steal for Washington.

Exactly. Much higher return than I would have expected.

Rhylan
06-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Donnie said on Fisher's show today that this pick would probably end up going to Denver. So..... what is Denver gonna give for the 17th pick????

Dooby
06-25-2002, 05:15 PM
I can't believe anybody thinks Washington could have gotten more in this deal. Char/Orleans used their trade exception to do this deal. Does that means Washington has a trade exception now equal to CA's salary? If so, this is a great deal for Washington.

Ghost Face
06-25-2002, 05:21 PM
<< Donnie said on Fisher's show today that this pick would probably end up going to Denver. So..... what is Denver gonna give for the 17th pick???? >>

James Posey is the name that has been mentioned, so far.

Rhylan
06-25-2002, 05:24 PM
I saw that on LMF. What on earth would Washington want with James Posey when they could have Dan Dickau or Frank Williams? (Presuming they target a PG.)

I mean, really. Take Posey so that Denver can have three first rounders?? Makes no sense.

Posey and other stuff. Maybe Posey and Dallas' old pick (#25)?

David
06-25-2002, 05:36 PM
I think the Wizards saw what Dallas saw. A talented player that didn't want to do what was necessary to realize his potential. I hope, for his sake, he gets his head right before he is passed through the league.

Ghost Face
06-25-2002, 05:40 PM
I can't remember where I saw it, but I would make that deal. They could probably trade Jahidi White for a decent point guard or take on with the 11th pick.

PG: Jiri Welsch/Tyron Lue
SG: Richard Hamilton/Hubert Davis/Welsch
SF: James Posey/Mike Jordan
PF: Kwame Brown/Etan Thomas
C: Jahidi White/Christian Laetnner

That looks like a decent lineup to me, for the East anyways. Lots of size and plenty of scoring punch from the SG and SF spots and from the bench.

Rhylan
06-25-2002, 05:49 PM
I have this eerie feeling that Jiri Welsch is not going to make an NBA point guard. SG, maybe. And, Washington would be dumber than Scott Layden AND anyone who ever GM'ed in Cleveland put together to take him at #11, with what's out there.

I think that Dickau or Frank Williams will be better point guards then anyone out there who is available for Jahidi White.

They could get Posey and #33 from Denver, then grab Steve Logan, Roger Mason, maybe Smush Parker or Tito Maddox..

Ghost Face
06-25-2002, 06:26 PM
With lots of people drafting on potential, Welsch wouldn't be any more of a reach than taking Qyntel Woods or Kareem Rush. They already have their Amare Stoudamire or Marcus Haislip and his name is Kwame Brown. There has been talk about getting Jordan someone to take over the major scoring duties from him, when he retires, because Courtney Alexander couldn't do it. Welsch could fill that role, while also providing help at the point. If he learns to play the point well, with his shooting ability, the Wizards could line a great defensive unit that also has good scoring ability. If they trade the #17, I believe they have zeroed in on a player at #11 they have every reason to believe will be available. In a draft of few stars and little difference between many of the top players, personal preference will provide lots of suprises.